Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colbert Station Redevelopment 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Jofspring

mart 23 wrote: »
    Did the work start today ?.

Not from what I could see today anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

sleepyman wrote: »
    Good stuff.Any link for this by any chance?

That's what Irish Rail said on Twitter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jesus lads it's the first day. You're not going to see anything. The contractors will only be setting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭sleepyman

That's what Irish Rail said on Twitter.

So has the work started then?

So has the work started then?

I'll walk to work that way in the morning and report back! :P

• Advertisement

I drove past the station a while ago and there's work going on behind the old petrol station. That's going to be demolished and incorporated into the station so I guess we can say that work has finally started.

The petrol station is gone and they've also started work on the Roxboro Road side. This is going to be a new entrance for buses.

The petrol station is gone and they've also started work on the Roxboro Road side. This is going to be a new entrance for buses.

I'm guessing it will be sometime early into next year when it will be finished or is that a little too optimistic?

I'm guessing it will be sometime early into next year when it will be finished or is that a little too optimistic?

Judging by how long it took to do Bedford Row/ Thomas St and William St, I'd say that's optimistic. They have to create a new set down area/taxi rank where the petrol station was before they start work in front of the station.
    Hope I'm proved wrong though.

Judging by how long it took to do Bedford Row/ Thomas St and William St, I'd say that's optimistic. They have to create a new set down area/taxi rank where the petrol station was before they start work in front of the station.
    Hope I'm proved wrong though.

Anyone know how this is going?Are they still working on the new set down area?

• Advertisement

Drove past last Wednesday or Thursday. The whole petrol station (including the shop) is gone and they were demolishing the buildings behind.

That's what the first phase is. They will also clear the site of the future bus station before removing current bus area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

They will also clear the site of the future bus station before removing current bus area.

They're working on the site of the new bus station currently. Possibly services and utilities works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any pictures of the latest developments?

From what I can see at the moment it's literally just a levelled petrol station so nothing really to see yet. Few weeks maybe should show more.

Driving home this evening I saw that barriers have gone up around the flats next to the station, so it's looks like the refurbishment is about to start on those too.

They're working on the front car park at the moment too. A sign inside the station says that the new plaza is expected to be completed in November....which seems a bit optimistic.

They're working on the front car park at the moment too. A sign inside the station says that the new plaza is expected to be completed in November....which seems a bit optimistic.

Can't see it being finished in November.Even the end of the year may be unlikely.Although this is IE doing it rather than the council so maybe they'll work a little faster!!

Have they started on the plaza yet?I haven't been home in a while so I haven't had a chance to see progress

Have they started on the plaza yet?I haven't been home in a while so I haven't had a chance to see progress

Yeah, they have the left half of the front car park all dug up. I'll take a pic when I'm passing during the week.

EDIT: Here's a photo from today. Not much to see really.

v5zkgn.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah, they have the left half of the front car park all dug up. I'll take a pic when I'm passing during the week.

v5zkgn.jpg

Any more updates on this?Any visible progress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

v5zkgn.jpg

Didnt expect it to fall flat on its side until much later in the project :D

Still the same as the picture I've taken above but just more of the front is dug up now. The area to the left of the station building has all been levelled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I was in last week and it looked like they were starting some foundations. Not sure when they did it but they have added some extra parking to the existing car park, probably enough to make up for the ones gone from the front.

364940.jpg

I have to say even the removal of some of the trees outside the station has made a big difference. Taking down the wall and fence at the front should also help massively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Guys, if your heading to the station and planning on parking your car then leave yourself plenty of time. I arrived five minutes before my train this morning to be told the car park was full! First time that has ever happened to me in limerick. Lots of cars were behind me too. They will have to sort something out with the parking while the works are going on.

Any further progress on this or is it much the same as the photo?

I'm getting the train in the morning. I'll check it out!

There's not much changed from the previous photo so I didn't bother taking any. I can't see them have it any bit ready before Christmas...not to mind November as their posters say! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Vanquished wrote: »
    Yeah it's an application for an extension to the permission they received back in early 2009. Permission expires 5 years after the initial grant.

Limerick City Council turned down the initial application but this was overturned by An Bord Pleanala.

Looking at the renders the front elevation of the proposed bus station does seem particularly cheap and nasty next to the protected limestone structure Colbert station!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/666411/292663.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/666411/292664.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/666411/292665.jpg

Are the above pictures (the links) part of the ongoing plan? i.e. the building to the left of the Current station?

As for not being done this side of Christmas, I'm just happy their doing it at all :D

Have a nice route from Colbert all the way down to O Connell Street, will do wonders

Advertisement