Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colbert Station Redevelopment 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Jofspring wrote: »
    I have to say even the removal of some of the trees outside the station has made a big difference. Taking down the wall and fence at the front should also help massively.

The removal of the billboards has made a huge difference as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

There's not much changed from the previous photo so I didn't bother taking any. I can't see them have it any bit ready before Christmas...not to mind November as their posters say! :eek:

Thanks for that PS.Yeah I thought November was a bit optimistic.Are they using a high quality surface for the plaza?I often thought the William St repaving job was let down by the materials used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

That grotty brown three storey strip of shops to the left badly need to be done up or else demolished and a new development in is place. Most of the units appear vacant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

This is brilliant for Limerick, looking forward to seeing hownit turns out!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mart 23

Is the bus station been built at this time as well or will that happen in a future phase .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's all being done together but it's going to take about 2-3 years for it all to be finished.

2-3 years

Whaaat?!
    :eek:

2-3 years

Whaaat?!

2-3 years

Whaaat?!

2-3 years

Whaaat?!

• Advertisement

2-3 years

Whaaat?!

It's all being done together but it's going to take about 2-3 years for it all to be finished.

I thought it was going to take 10 years subject to funding.The plaza should't take more than a few months but these projects seem to drag on.Hopefully there'll be more uber type jobs coming into the city & more commercial buildings being built in the city.Also it would be good to send more high end apartments being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

sleepyman wrote: »
    I thought it was going to take 10 years subject to funding.The plaza should't take more than a few months but these projects seem to drag on.Hopefully there'll be more uber type jobs coming into the city & more commercial buildings being built in the city.Also it would be good to send more high end apartments being built.

Ya I know its off topic for this thread I hope the mods don't mind but we really do need another proper block of high end apartments in the city. There isn't any available really and companies aren't going to come here if there isn't accommodation for workers. The whole Cleeves complex should be turned into a multi purpose development with apartments, possibly a gym and a few shops etc. I don't know how much of he buildings there are protected and to what extent they are protected however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Ya I know its off topic for this thread I hope the mods don't mind but we really do need another proper block of high end apartments in the city. There isn't any available really and companies aren't going to come here if there isn't accommodation for workers. The whole Cleeves complex should be turned into a multi purpose development with apartments, possibly a gym and a few shops etc. I don't know how much of he buildings there are protected and to what extent they are protected however.

There was a plan about 5 to 10 years ago to completely redevelop the docks area, but it was canned.

shannon-port2.gif

I think they're ready to start paving parts of the front. I'll be at the station again this week so I'll check it out properly and grab a few photos.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think they're ready to start paving parts of the front. I'll be at the station again this week so I'll check it out properly and grab a few photos.

So did you get down to the station?

So did you get down to the station?

Didn't get a chance to take any on Thursday morning but I got a few last night.

The front left side of the car park is now concreted over but still needs to be paved.
    Paving has started in the new set down/drop off area where the petrol station was.

Didn't get a chance to take any on Thursday morning but I got a few last night.

The front left side of the car park is now concreted over but still needs to be paved.
    Paving has started in the new set down/drop off area where the petrol station was.
    Good stuff.I just hope the paving used isn't really cheap or stain easily.Any word on the hanging gardens?I thought the council were meant to be announcing the winner of the tender shortly.

25frqqf.jpg

25frqqf.jpg

Slow progress being made but progress none the less.Is that the part where the petrol station was?The part directly outside the station entrance seems to be fenced off when I passed it last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The picture above is right at the bottom of the steps leading into the station. It's right next to the pedestrian paving that leads to the traffic lights. There is loads more work done on the far side where the petrol station was.

The picture above is right at the bottom of the steps leading into the station. It's right next to the pedestrian paving that leads to the traffic lights. There is loads more work done on the far side where the petrol station was.

That's good.I assume that the layout for the new bus station will be done during phase 1?I read that phase 2 will involve the building of a new station but I would have thought the bus bay layout would be done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

holy jays us, I passed through Colbert station on Crimbo eve, and it's the same as it was 10 years ago, albeit even more bleak. Nothing in the place open after 6pm. Luckily I had time to nip across the road for a pint of beamish. Why is it taking so long to get the place refurbished?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

lufties wrote: »
    holy jays us, I passed through Colbert station on Crimbo eve, and it's the same as it was 10 years ago, albeit even more bleak. Nothing in the place open after 6pm. Luckily I had time to nip across the road for a pint of beamish. Why is it taking so long to get the place refurbished?

You mean, getting more retail and leisure inside the station? I hope that's in the plan (anybody know?).

The general trend these days, outside Ireland at least, is to make stations more attractive so that they become leisure destinations in themselves. I'm not familiar with the economics of railway stations but I reckon retail and leisure concessions can bring in a lot of money if done right.

At this moment I'm in the Parcel Yard, a new bar inside Kings Cross station in London: it's been attractively fitted out, with comfortable armchairs, a range of good quality food and ale, free wifi, good toilets etc. etc. For Colbert I'd like to see the same sort of thing - it ought to pull in money as well as making the train travel experience more inviting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

On the other hand I was in Leicester City station last week and Colbert is pretty similar. Just the tracks, jacks and some snacks.

The one in Birmingham was class though, absolutely massive with loads of food outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

On the other hand I was in Leicester City station last week and Colbert is pretty similar. Just the tracks, jacks and some snacks.

The one in Birmingham was class though, absolutely massive with loads of food outlets.

Birmingham New Street? That place used to be an absolute hole until very recently, dark, grotty and dingy. The renovation did take years but is miles better than what was there before, not a bad place to wait for a train.

http://www.urban75.org/blog/birmingham-new-street-named-as-britains-worst-railway-station/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

lufties wrote: »

Was there myself on Monday and Friday this week. The bog is gross. Constant smell of piss.

I haven't been up by the station in a while. How are things progressing?

Anyone have any up to date photos?Do you think it will be fInished by March?

• Advertisement

sleepyman wrote: »
    Anyone have any up to date photos?Do you think it will be fInished by March?

There hasn't been much progress since the last few photos. The new set down area has taken a bit more shape but all in all, it's still a proper building site.

I'd say the plaza should be finished by summer. The whole redevelopment should take another 12-18 months.

Advertisement