Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodborne (From Software / Sony)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Found Lawrence not so bad. He has a limited number of attacks so it's more just staying out of the lava he leaves behind.

Orphan of Kos though.... nightmare. Took me 3 days to get his down. And that was with cheesing it with the saw blade weapon before it was nerfed. His final phase where he just about dropping insanely damaging ****e on you is so annoying, especially as its so tough to actually get some hits in.

Don't know why I found Lawrence so difficult. Couldn't dodge his attacks at all. Always got destroyed by the lingering flame from his swipes. I probably should have unlocked from him. Spent months on him before just giving in and calling for help. Beat Orphan in a day or two though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only real issue with Lawrence was his insane damage output. too much scope for getting OHKO. But found with good dodging he would whiff a lot of attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

gimli2112 wrote: »
    for the sake of full disclosure I never finished the DLC or beat Orphan. I did fight Orphan once but by mistake. I beat the Lawrence alright , which is probably my favourite moment from the game, actually that and beating Maria and the Crow first time and getting the platinum and......

actually it wasn't Laurence I beat it was the big mad horse thingy

You can get the platinum without killing Orphan? :confused:

Get back in there, Orphan isnt that hard, the likes of Freide and Midir from DS3 are much harder. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Maria is such a great boss fight. Challenging but fun. Awesome visuals with blood flying everywhere.

Unlike Kos, who is infuriating. The noises it makes just make the fight even more frustrating on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

nix wrote: »
    You can get the platinum without killing Orphan? :confused:

Get back in there, Orphan isnt that hard, the likes of Freide and Midir from DS3 are much harder. :pac:

Yeah the DLC isn't required to plat, praise the lord. I probably will go back to it as I still have a bit to do in the DLC. Wandering around that fishing village though things can get rough.
    I couldn't get into DS3 after finishing this for whatever reason the pacing, gameplay or setting just sits with me perfectly much more so than any other From game.

• Advertisement

Yeah the DLC isn't required to plat, praise the lord. I probably will go back to it as I still have a bit to do in the DLC. Wandering around that fishing village though things can get rough.
    I couldn't get into DS3 after finishing this for whatever reason the pacing, gameplay or setting just sits with me perfectly much more so than any other From game.

haha i guess im just surprised you went all the way through the chalice dungeons but avoided Orphan :D

I went through the chalice dungeons several times with different builds for the gems. The defiled dungeon is just awful. It actually seems to get harder each time.

I went through the chalice dungeons several times with different builds for the gems. The defiled dungeon is just awful. It actually seems to get harder each time.

Yeah thats why im surprised you done them but not Orphan, orphan is a cake walk compared to some of the **** in there :D:pac:

tumblr_ouc44qKMup1vzel59o2_500.gif

Yeah thats why im surprised you done them but not Orphan, orphan is a cake walk compared to some of the **** in there :D:pac:

tumblr_ouc44qKMup1vzel59o2_500.gif

I loved fighting Abhorrent Beast in the dungeon but hated fight him in the woods or the Chapel. Odd that.

Gimli Dark Souls 3 is much closer to Bloodborne than DS1 or 2 in terms of movement speed. Think I actually prefer it to Bloodborne. Some great bosses in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The god awful frame pacing and frame rate of Bloodbourne near killed the game for me. Probably why I'm a little harsher on the game than the Dark Souls games on PC.

• Advertisement

I loved fighting Abhorrent Beast in the dungeon but hated fight him in the woods or the Chapel. Odd that.

Gimli Dark Souls 3 is much closer to Bloodborne than DS1 or 2 in terms of movement speed. Think I actually prefer it to Bloodborne. Some great bosses in it.

I played it for several hours so really only scratched the surface but it wasn't grabbing me the way BB did. It's a whole different mechanic with the shield and all. It's certainly not a bad game, quite the opposite. I still feel if I was going to play it again I'd probably do another run on BB instead.

and yeah I understand about the frame rate issues, fortunately I'm a console peasant born and bred so that didn't detract from the game for me.

I played it for several hours so really only scratched the surface but it wasn't grabbing me the way BB did. It's a whole different mechanic with the shield and all. It's certainly not a bad game, quite the opposite. I still feel if I was going to play it again I'd probably do another run on BB instead.

and yeah I understand about the frame rate issues, fortunately I'm a console peasant born and bred so that didn't detract from the game for me.

My last play through of DS3 was just last week. Placed shield on back for increased Stamina recovery, two handed my weapon and dodge rolled for evasion. But I get what you mean.

I bought DS2: SotFS at the same time and tried it out. Ended up dropping bloodborne for it as it just felt so much nicer to play. Went back to bloodborne after it and loved it but just wish there was a PC version. Maybe there'll be a PS5 remake, but rather it be preserved on PC forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did you try Sekiro yet?

nope, I find if I can resist the initial marketing bombardment at launch I kind of lose interest, otherwise I end up with the digital deluxe version and season pass

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

nope, I find if I can resist the initial marketing bombardment at launch I kind of lose interest, otherwise I end up with the digital deluxe version and season pass

I'd say you would enjoy it. Combat is faster than BB but very satisfying.

Setting is great although I do prefer the gothic style in BB. Grapple ads a lot of freedom in your movement as well so loads more opportunities to approach enemies vin different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Went and mopped up the remaining 3 umbilical cords there. Might take on Gehrman for the big boy ending if I get a chance in the next few days. Fully expecting to get my arse handed to me, looks like a fierce fight for a dude that's stuck in a wheelchair.

He's not too bad. some bosses you can start off thinking, I'm never going to beat this guy but never felt that with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

skerry wrote: »
    Went and mopped up the remaining 3 umbilical cords there. Might take on Gehrman for the big boy ending if I get a chance in the next few days. Fully expecting to get my arse handed to me, looks like a fierce fight for a dude that's stuck in a wheelchair.
    No might, definitely do it. It's probably one of the best boss fights in the game from the non-DLC based content. Personally I'd regard it as the best fight as it's less about the spectacle and more about pushing your combat abilities - no ****ing about, just you versus him in primarily melee based combat in a, relatively speaking, rather beautiful arena.

gizmo wrote: »
    No might, definitely do it. It's probably one of the best boss fights in the game from the non-DLC based content. Personally I'd regard it as the best fight as it's less about the spectacle and more about pushing your combat abilities - no ****ing about, just you versus him in primarily melee based combat in a, relatively speaking, rather beautiful arena.

Will definitely do it, just a matter of when. At least I have everything in line for the other ending with the umbilical cords collected.

Baby #2 is imminent in next day or two so that might put a halt to my Bloodborne activities for a bit (I'm guessing there was something subconscious there that made me pick up Bloodborne for the first time in ages and go collecting umbilical cords lol).

• Advertisement

Just munched down those umbilical cords there. Beat Gehrman after a few goes. He's tough enough but once I got used to his parry windows and how to dodge his AoE attacks I managed to beat him with a sliver of health left. Beat the next lad then to get the big boy ending, which made just as little sense to me as the other ending :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Said I'd bump this thread rather than clog up the Soulsborne thread.

The game is still good and needlessly frustrating in sections. Beat Blood Starved Beast and roof d*ckhead. Went to Healing Church Workshop and had to suffer through that stupid f*cking falling thing several f*cking times, either through dying from falls or something at the bottom. So f*cking stupid. Not to mention new enemy that sucked the insight out of my head.

Made it back up through Cathedral Ward and can clear out everything there. Opened the door to some church at the top but I presume its a boss fight so from what I've read (while trying to find out where I'm supposed to go or how to get down the healing church workshop) I should explore a forest area off to the side first.

I've also found a guy looking for a password, and I keep hearing bells in the area around Cathedral Ward, but I don't know if that's because I rang a bell and brought in another NPC hunter (didn't check what the thing did before I pressed X, thought it was a lantern).

Penn wrote: »
    Said I'd bump this thread rather than clog up the Soulsborne thread.

The game is still good and needlessly frustrating in sections. Beat Blood Starved Beast and roof d*ckhead. Went to Healing Church Workshop and had to suffer through that stupid f*cking falling thing several f*cking times, either through dying from falls or something at the bottom. So f*cking stupid. Not to mention new enemy that sucked the insight out of my head.

Made it back up through Cathedral Ward and can clear out everything there. Opened the door to some church at the top but I presume its a boss fight so from what I've read (while trying to find out where I'm supposed to go or how to get down the healing church workshop) I should explore a forest area off to the side first.

I've also found a guy looking for a password, and I keep hearing bells in the area around Cathedral Ward, but I don't know if that's because I rang a bell and brought in another NPC hunter (didn't check what the thing did before I pressed X, thought it was a lantern).

After you kill the Vicar, you get the password, thats where you go next to progress the main story, all the other stuff is optional, but you should defo explore everywhere as you will miss items/tools that will enhance you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

I love FROM games...bought demon souls as I love RPGs...gave up after an hour...went this is sh1te.....6 months later by 12 year old son played it and go to the 3rd boss without dying....I went fuk this and got gud :):P

Never looked back..DS1 was just about to be released.

They are like marmite...you either love them or hate them. Best games Ive enjoyed in the last few years.

After you kill the Vicar, you get the password, thats where you go next to progress the main story, all the other stuff is optional, but you should defo explore everywhere as you will miss items/tools that will enhance you.

Aye from what I read beating the vicar boss makes some enemies tougher, things cost more etc so should explore first.

Also forgot to say I was killed and kidnapped by some f*cker with a sack and brought to a completely different area (something Gaol). Did kill some enemies there but I also felt I was a bit underlevelled so returned to Yarnham area. Do I go back there eventually or is it worth exploring now (as I've beefed up a bit since then)?

Penn wrote: »
    Aye from what I read beating the vicar boss makes some enemies tougher, things cost more etc so should explore first.

Also forgot to say I was killed and kidnapped by some f*cker with a sack and brought to a completely different area (something Gaol). Did kill some enemies there but I also felt I was a bit underlevelled so returned to Yarnham area. Do I go back there eventually or is it worth exploring now (as I've beefed up a bit since then)?

Yeah its a tough area, but theres alot of good items you can get there to beef yerself up, the bag guys hit like a truck, be careful with them.. the area changes a bit later so best to explore as much as you can while you can..

go back later, you are underlevelled, it's still tough when you go back

I think first time I ended up there, I pegged it to collect the Tonitrus which helped with a later boss fight and got the feic out of there again Benny Hill Style.

Vicar Amelia was actually pretty disappointing. Got her down to a sliver of health on first try and stamina prevented me from hitting final blow quick enough. Didn't even use the NPC summon as I wanted to see what the boss was like first. Used NPC second time and took her down with ease.

Went back to the Goal area and cleared it. Didn't realise it was such a small area. I did end up in the Darkbeast Paarl fight but can see I'm still underlevelled for it so abandoned it for now.

Forbidden Woods is a tough area. Made it to a windmill eventually. Remembered reading that there was a way to get into the clinic from the start of the game through the Woods, so went there. Now that was the best bit of the game so far imo. Creepy and unsettling, and with a great boss fight at the end of it. Camera and furniture was f*cky as hell in that small room, but still didn't detract from the fight. Really enjoyed that. Love seeing the interconnectivity of the different areas of the maps through all these shortcuts too, some amazing level design throughout.

Said it before though, the map needs a few more lanterns about the place. I'm opening all shortcuts I can as I go which helps, and I've taken to just running through some areas rather than fight again, but it gets to where I'm less concerned about losing blood echoes than just having to go through certain areas again (except the time I first got to the windmill, died, and had to go back for 75,000+ echoes. Wasn't leaving them behind).

• Advertisement

You're making good progress. Parl slaughtered me on my first playthrough and I just left him but I made bits of it in subsequent runs.
    I did find in subsequent runs I'd often get stuck in certain spots that I had no trouble with previously.
    - a random hunter in Cairnhurst Castle
    - Amygadela who I crushed more often than not
    - Micolash a really easy boss who sometimes just isn't
    - Rom, sigh .........Rom

It's ludicrous I beat Ludwig. The Crow of Cairnhurst and Lady Maria first attempts and yet from time to time can't get past relatively easy sections

Advertisement