Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies decide: Best sporting moments (nominations closed, knockout ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Liverpool fan but the hand of god is iconic, gets my vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Maradona summed up in one game. The genius and the less likeable side. Still think that's the greatest goal ever scored.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Liverpool's resurrection from the dead for me.

Just a stunning game remember watching it during our end of year party in college and everyone was just glued to the screen.

Probably the same for people with Maradona but whilst the hand of God is iconic it's also cheating and as such sullys the moment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Collie D wrote: »
    Maradona summed up in one game. The genius and the less likeable side. Still think that's the greatest goal ever scored.

Nonsense! Stephanie Roche's wonder goal for Lokomotiv Peamount has to be the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jesus wept but the random generator has thrown up some matchups.

I'm actually gonna go with Liverpool here, but it's a whisker. Was living in england and flatmate tore up his betting slip as 3rd goal was being celebrated having backed a liverpool win.

But it's a close one. Maradona became a God in those 90 minutes. His best goal, and most infamous goal, in the same match. But I think maybe it was more looking back at it that that match achieved notoriety rather than on the day.

Liverpool.

Have a feeling this will be a tight one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Maradona for me for thé solo goal alone. As good a goal that’s ever been scored on that big a stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Maradonna, there is probably no more famous individual performance in a game of football for me. The solo goal, the infamy of the Hand of God. It's brilliant

4-2 to Maradona

• Advertisement

Lads I’m off to a wedding today so I’m going to post the last two R1 ties., vote away. I’ll get on at some stage over the weekend and do a wrap up

Shane Long's goal v Germany

V

The most cheatiest race in history, the 1988 100m final

Who put the ball in the English net? less than 10 minutes into our first ever tournament we've scored against England. Ray Houghton at Euro 88

V

Unbelievable Jordan 1-2 at Spa 1998

A vote each for the Irish goals

Four good picks there again

100m for me, amazing race at the time and the even more so with Johnson being sent home. 7 of the 8 caught doping IIRC

Ray Houghton, it was so huge at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'm going to go with Liverpool in Istanbul, the 100m final, and as much as I love the Spa '98 race, Houghton gets my last vote...

• Advertisement

100m final and Spa Race for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Going with Liverpool.

I watched the liverpool game live, not the maradonna game, a great goal but also cheating, takes away from the overall performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Maradona - Greatest player of the time showing his worst amd his best with massive high stakes against arch rivals England.

Shane Long's goal v Germany - Remember going batsh*t crazy when it went in.

Houghton netting against England - United the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Liverpool 2005 beats Maradona in 86, Maradona was great and all but as a Liverpool fan just about everything else pales to insignificance.

1988 final was the greatest race of all time. The lead up and drama. Even though he juiced his way to success they should have left him the medal it was that good.

Houghton goal wins also

Three great winners there

This is like reeling in the years on tv but much more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Maradona
    The most cheatiest race in history, the 1988 100m final
    Houghton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Maradona by a mile over the poxiest CL win in history. The man single handedly (no apologies for the pun) won a World Cup for his country

Ray Houghton as its probably the most iconic moment in Irish soccer history

And 100m as much I jumped around the room for Longs goal

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Maradona vs Liverpool/Milan

Has to be Maradona. Not even Zidane’s head-butt can match the infamy of Maradona’s goal. And then less than 5 minutes later he scores one of the greatest goals of all time.

Shane Long vs Ben Johnson

Definitely Ben Johnson, for the aftermath as much as the race itself. I watched the race with my Canadian cousin in a bar in Toronto. The scenes after the race were similar to when we beat England in Euro 88 or Romania in Italia 90, it was just one big party. Then a couple of days later word came out that he’d been disqualified. It was fascinating as an outsider watching a whole country sink into a collective depression so quickly after they’d been on such a massive high.

Ray Houghton vs Jordan

The longest 81 minutes of my life were after that goal went in. It was sheer torture. But Spa in 98 was almost as agonising to watch. The race was restarted after a massive crash in the wet and in the end only six cars were running, with the Jordans leading them. Ralf Schumacher was pushing Damon Hill all the way and I really thought they’d take each other off before the end, but thankfully they didn’t. It was emotional seeing an Irish team winning an F1 race for the first time, but it’s very much a minority sport in this country, so for the overall feel-good factor that the whole country enjoyed I’m going for Houghton’s goal.

Easiest choices here.

Shane Long. Because the title says 'Best' sporting moments' and there was nothing good about that race in 88.

Ray Houghton.
    Remember exactly what I did that day. Amazing feeling when we won. Felt like Ireland were literally Kings of the World.

Maradona goes through 7-5
    6-3 to Ben Johnson & Co
    Euro 88 is through

I feel like a Brexit remainer on the Maradona one and think we need a second vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ben Johnson

For Calvin Smith who should have been awarded the gold ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭bmc58

Kolido wrote: »
    Everton did it unfotunately. Leicester gets my vote, greatest story I've seen in football. Flying high this season also

Leicester's Prem win is definitely in the top 10 of sporting achievements ever.@5000/1 it was deemed impossible by the bookies.
    No chance of 5000/1 this year.And they could sneak it again if Liverpool collapse.Man City are a busted flush.

Ben goes through

Green&Red wrote: »
    This one could go a long way, the comebacks to beat all comebacks
    Liverpool 3-0 down come back to win the CL

V

Maradona V England in Mexico '86, the hand of God and the wonder goal

Happy to run a rematch of this tie

Let’s see how we’re fixed tomorrow

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    Happy to run a rematch of this tie

Let’s see how we’re fixed tomorrow

Why the re-run?

ah no I was only joking, Maradona is a good win.
    They can vote 2005 down but they can never take it away :)

And we're back with Round 2. We'll try and keep this moving and get through it all this week

Croke Park opens up its gates to rugby and the second game there against England

V

Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10 in Montreal 1976

Comaneci for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Not even a mad fan of Rugby or mad into patriotism but that Croker game was goosebumps stuff. Hard to go against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Still croker for me, witnessing it and the build up was incredible. The game and result added to historic occasion for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I will vote Comaneci

On the world stage, that wins for me. If this was the best Irish sporting moment, Croker would win.

Comaneci has always kind of passed me by - whether it’s because it was before I was born or just a lack of interest so even though not a rugby fan it's Croke Park again for me - seemed as if the whole country was watching/talking about it.

Croker, Nadia whatsherface is

A) before my time
    B) something I'm not pushed about in general

So Croker wins out here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Nadia for me...

4-3 to the rugby lads

Comaneci, much more meaningful on a world stage

Comaneci, more impressive on a world stage

Croke Park was a tremendous occasion, but the first Perfect 10 in the Olympics has to be acknowledged for just how incredible it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

The rugby was great from an Irish perspective but for a best sporting moment Comaneci's perfect 10 was more memorable and deserves to go through

Nadia making a storming comeback 6-4 as it stands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Perfect 10 - Unless the Rugby was won by a 100% perfect display of Rugby then I don't think there's any real choice there.

And she’s through at last

Two big Irish sporting moments

Dennis Taylor wins the world championship in dramatic fashion

V

Ray Houghton helping us beat Italy at USA 94

Dennis Taylor is probably the more iconic moment, although Eamon Coughlan should have beaten him last round he gets my vote this time around

Dennis Taylor is probably the most famous moment in snooker history, 18.5mm viewers were tuned in, and this was after midnight. So gets my vote

• Advertisement
Advertisement