Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies decide: Best sporting moments (nominations closed, knockout ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Cameroon for me!

Cameroon. Iconic moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Cameroon for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Cameroon romp home in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Cameroon. Sure roger was about 73 at that stage and then he went on to play for another 28 years. Father romeo sensini had nothing on him

• Advertisement

Kilkenny going for a historic 5-in-a-row stopped by Tipperary in one of the greatest battles ever

V

Two of the three tennis titans going head to head in the Wimbledon final 2019. Federer V Djokovic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Tennis for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Tipperary.

Because a top class hurling match is better than a top class tennis match.

I didnt see this years final and would have been more likely to vote for one of the classic Nadal v Federer finals

That era of hurling was by some distance the best I've ever seen, the skill levels were off the chart to the point where every other county had to adapt to combat it. Tipp take it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The hurling, an absolutely epic final, similar to the year before where Tipp nearly did it

Also, can't vote for anything where that knob and his haircut of a five year old wins

• Advertisement

If roger had won, I'd be voting for it. But since he didnt, I'll vote for tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Have to vote for the Gaa on this. Federer is my favorite athlete of all time and I’ve still not gotten over it fully

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Tipp vs KK

Tennis does nothing for me. Hurling is murderball.

Even as a Kilkenny man, I have to vote the 2010 final.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Tennis for me, two great who gave it everything

Tipp with 7 votes

Tipp advance

These two will hit you right in the feels

Big John Hayes crying as we get over 800 years of oppression as we bate the English off croke park in 2007

V

Derek Redmond pulls his hamstring with 200m left in the 400m semi final at the Barcelona Olympics. As he struggles to hobble home his father comes out and helps him

No you're crying

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Has to be Croker. It was poignant and ranks up there. That crossfield GAA style kick was the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah, that's a mean match up - I nominated Derek Redmond so think I have to go for it, but that Croke Park game was massive, I'd vote for that otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,322 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Croke Park - never heard of your man before today

I'm going for the Ireland game, I found the build up to it a bit ridiculous, it was a rugby game after all but theres no denying the atmosphere and feeling that went with it. Plus we stuffed them

Collie D wrote: »
    Croke Park - never heard of your man before today

Did you watch the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,322 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Green&Red wrote: »
    Did you watch the video?

It's been blocked by the IOC :confused:

I Googled his story earlier when he was mentioned and it does sound iconic but I have to go with what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Derek Redmond, its almost impossible not to well up watching that video, no matter how many times I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭bmc58

Johnny Wilkinson's drop goal for England against Australia in the 2003 World Cup Final.I could see it coming and to see it actually happen was magic.(And I'm Irish and not the biggest fan of our neighbours across the Irish sea.But that was a moment in sport for me I will never forget.The saying "Here's Johnny" has only one meaning for me.Johnny Wilkinson.

Derek Redmond having watched both videos. Tough matchup

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ashamed to say I'd never heard of Redmond before today either.

So gots to go with the match in Croker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Croke Park for me comfortably. I hate when politics and sport mix but here it was unavoidable and a serious landmark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've a lot as a huge sports fan but I'm going to go with one maybe a lot of people dont know of ....

Dave Wattol he was the gold medalist in the 800 meter run at the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich.

You should see his documentary on how he suffered so many problems before entering Olympics and got to final ....

He was dead last way down and managed to climb all way back up field and finished in first ....

I beg every single one of you to just watch this race and tell me it doesnt make the hairs stand up ....

https://youtu.be/DiacXTCj4Tk

Advertisement