Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies decide: Best sporting moments (nominations closed, knockout ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Dennis Taylor

Kind of personal, I was a young kid, my mum loved snooker, I was allowed to stay up late, it was amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Loved snooker and this was way before my time but it's iconic and I made a mad decision to watch the entire match years ago, it was a bit of a slog but that final frame was pure tension and the black, it was mental and one of the few things I've looked back on not live and felt the tension

Taylor for me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Dennis Taylor.

My parents still talk about staying up on their wedding night to watch it.

NOTHING else happened that night that I ever need to know of either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Dennis Taylor I'm old enough to remember watching it live ( well live on TV ) and great viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Necro wrote: »
    Dennis Taylor.

My parents still talk about staying up on their wedding night to watch it.

NOTHING else happened that night that I ever need to know of either :pac:

So what you're saying is that you're a Dennis Taylor love child?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dennis Taylor winning the final. The amount of TVs tuned into that was stupidly high I believe. For such a calm game, snooker really can feel like two gladiators going at it at times, this was such an occasion.

I'm not sure if McGuigan v Coughlan is still on btw but I'd give it to Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Taylor for me as I just have no faith in clean winners of the Tour de France

So two northern Irish legends go through to Round 2

You see Eamon Coughlan and Stephen Roche go out and then.....

One of the longest matches in Wimbledon history, 2010 Isner v Mahut

v

A very recent entry, they could have had it finished up at home but thanks to Gini, the Belgian Messi and the quick thinking of TAA Liverpool win 4-0

No contest here for me, Liverpool are the best team in the world at the minute and this kick started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

LFC fan, has to be the Barcelona game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Taylor v Roche is quite the matchup to be fair.

I am a big fan of cycling, and yes, I know that rumours abound in relation to Roche but still, he is one of only 2 riders to do the cycling triple crown in a single year.

That being said, Black Ball victory, of a World Championship, against Steve Davis....

Given the title of the thread refers to 'the best sporting moment', I'll have to go with Taylor. Because that was literally a moment where it all happened.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Out of these two I'm gonna have to vote for the Liverpool game.

Was a sensational night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Wow, from two genuine sporting moments, to two, interesting more so than genuine contenders I'll go for Isner/Mahut as I suspect Liverpool might have an alternative runner in terms of great comebacks of theirs competing in this competition.

Liverpool vs Barcelona as I don't care for tennis all that much and I think Barcelona being humbled like that is and was memorable. Is it the greatest sporting moment of all time? No, but it wins here for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

As a liverpool fan, I have to go with the Barca match, the greater of the two for me anyway, a fabulous night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Kolido wrote: »
    As a liverpool fan, I have to go with the Barca match, the greater of the two for me anyway, a fabulous night.

What he said :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Liverpool vs Barcelona, because tennis, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Green&Red wrote: »
    So two northern Irish legends go through to Round 2

Bit of a sore point for the people of Clones, but McGuigan is very much associated with Northern Ireland I suppose

I'll go for the tennis, epic match

To be honest I don't think either should be there but I'll go for Liverpool begrudgingly. A great comeback to reach the final compared to a match that is only renowned because it was so bloody boring - 200 aces in a match says it all

• Advertisement

Another route for Liverpool

Next up

The shock of the 2015 RWC as Japan beat South Africa

V

Donegals breakthrough in 1992

Has to be Donegal for me, iconic team, fantastic scenes. Even in 2012 I was glad it was them, although I preferred the result in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Rugby for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Japan, that was wild and magnified by this year's carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Donegal for me, home county, winning the all Ireland brought the whole county together.

Japan putting South Africa to the sword like that was outrageous. A real underdog story on the grand stage. Cinderella stuff. Gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Has to be Donegal's breakthrough (and I'm not in any way biased, honestly). I'm old enough to remember when Ulster teams were routinely beaten in Croke Park, going 30 odd years without beating either a team from Munster or Leinster

Down the year before opened the door, but this was absolutely massive. Sat in the Cusack Stand watching it, have never since seen such an outpouring of emotion at the final whistle

Japan here for me too and I'm a big ould GAA head. It was absolutely incredible viewing

• Advertisement

Japan - very little interest in rugby but even I got excited watching that, a real underdog win. Also I'm a Dub.

Advertisement