Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies decide: Best sporting moments (nominations closed, knockout ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I’d go for Delaney myself. The fact that it’s our only track Gold is good enough for me is this one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Tough one. I watched Harrington on TV and Delaney’s gold was long before I was born but sole Irish track gold gets my vote - Delaney - wasn’t always a dirty word in Irish sport :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Harrington did all he could to blow it, but he dug in for an incredible win, so he gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

6-2 to Delaney

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hard to vote for things I didn't see but Olympic gold has to beat most things. As much as I loved Harrington's win I vote Delaney

• Advertisement

Ronnie runs into R2 at last

Be interesting to see how this one goes

Robbie Brady's goal v Italy

V

Jesse Owens four goal medals and two fingers in Berlin 1936

I know the Jesse Owens one is much more significant but Bradys goal was f**king brilliant

As fun as Brady's goal was it has to be Jesse Owens, 80 years later and it still resonates

It's been twisted since to be this big counter argument to Hitler, which it was, but the sad truth is how the US treated him.
    "HITLER DIDN’T SNUB ME; IT WAS [FDR] WHO SNUBBED ME. THE PRESIDENT DIDN’T EVEN SEND ME A TELEGRAM.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Jesse Owens hands down.

• Advertisement

Jesse Owens is one of those moments that transcended sport and has gone down in history but as the GAA say "Nothing beats being there". I was about four rows back behind that goal still cursing Hoolahan for his miss about a minute beforehand when he floated that beauty of a ball in. Mayhem in the stands, had a 5am bus to Brussels Airport booked to get back to Dublin - think we got back to the hotel about 6am. Stayed in France and went down to Lyon for the France game in second round.

One of my top memories supporting Ireland.

TLDR: Brady v Italy

Collie D wrote: »
    "Nothing beats being there"

Nice!

Time and money meant I could only make one game in France. I picked Belgium :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I watched the clip didn't see two fingers but I'll vote Jesse anyway

• Jesse Owens by a gazillion lightyears.

Jesse Owens for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Jesse Owens, far too important

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Jesse Owens- it's a piece of world History.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Yeah Jesse Owens for me. Regardless of the political aspect. How he dominated over numerous disciplines is insane.

Brady’s was great. Was in France for the Euros but In reality we beat a second string Italian team that just meant we were the 16th best team out of 24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Jesse Owens, a huge moment in history

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jesse Owens.

No competition because of what Hitler was up to at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Necro wrote: »
    Jesse Owens hands down.

Jesse Owens fist up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jesse Owens

Sorry for the delay, Jesse makes it through

I don't know a lot about the first one here

French Open 2000 Gustavo Kuerten v Magnus Norman

V

Brian O'Driscoll announcing himself on the world stage with his hat-trick in Paris

O'Driscoll, no contest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

Don't think either are massive sporting moments, but have to go with O'Driscoll.

Certainly no rugby fan but I think I've voted for it every time it's come and will do so again...O'Driscoll

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

BoD

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Brian O Driscoll.

The other one might not even make the knock out stages of 'Best Tennis Moments'. Not sure what it is doing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I googled that tennis match and not much is coming up. Whats the significance of it?

BoD it is I suppose, much as I think its completely irrelevant in the large scheme of things

Advertisement