Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies decide: Best sporting moments (nominations closed, knockout ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I've a lot as a huge sports fan but I'm going to go with one maybe a lot of people dont know of ....

Dave Wattol he was the gold medalist in the 800 meter run at the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich.

You should see his documentary on how he suffered so many problems before entering Olympics and got to final ....

He was dead last way down and managed to climb all way back up field and finished in first ....

I beg every single one of you to just watch this race and tell me it doesnt make the hairs stand up ....

https://youtu.be/DiacXTCj4Tk

Hopefully someone has voted it in for you and we get to see it in a matchup somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

5-3 to Croke Park

bmc58 wrote: »
    Johnny Wilkinson's drop goal for England against Australia in the 2003 World Cup Final.I could see it coming and to see it actually happen was magic.(And I'm Irish and not the biggest fan of our neighbours across the Irish sea.But that was a moment in sport for me I will never forget.The saying "Here's Johnny" has only one meaning for me.Johnny Wilkinson.

And who would you vote for in the current matchup between Redmond at the 400m and ireland vs England at croker ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

Redmond for me, remember watching it live...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

That England game was electric, I remember watching it thinking all sorts of mad **** was gonna happen with the English anthem. Then they played the Irish anthem and it was genuinely spine tingling. Great choice whoever nominated it

Edit: Just watched the Derek Redmond video, very emotional to be fair! This thread is throwing out a few new stories for me to look into.

• Advertisement

6-4 croker

Croker Needs 1 more vote to advance

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Croker for the big sigh of relief that it happened without incident.

Ireland v England goes through

Mohammad Ali's first incarnation as a world champion as Cassius Clay, taking down Sonny Liston

V

Two minutes into injury time Robbie gets the equaliser versus Germany, brilliant

I remember this goal so well, the telly I was watching it on was 30 seconds ahead of the rest of the pub, celebrated it twice. Micks reaction is brilliant. Absolutely no contest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Gonna leave my objectivity at the door here and go for Robbie. One of my favourite ever Irish goals

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ugh it's not gonna go through but Ali is the better moment imo.

Stunning upset on a widely regarded as unbeatable fighter.

Keane's goal was unbelievable, gave me goosebumps but I'm taking off the green tinted goggles for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Last minute equalizing goal for your country in the World Cup against a very heavy favorite. I remember the Junior Cert was on during the match and people going bananas during it. Football transcends sports like no other does.

Robbie Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Robbie..no question. Very few things will get me dancing around the place like an idiot at 7am but a last minute equaliser against Germany at a World Cup is one.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Much and all as I enjoyed Robbie Keane's goal, for the impact that it had, from both a boxing and a non-boxing perspective, it has to be Cassius Clay beating Sonny Liston. Plus I nominated it, so have to go for my own. :)

Robbie Keane, absolutely no question, an incredible moment and i remember it like yesterday. Was doing my junior cert, watched the first half before starting an exam. Timed the 2nd half to know to go out for the last few mins. Mate of mine in transition year was an envigilator person and brought me straight into the media room, 30 seconds after I went in we scored. The whole hall including the examiners knew why I went out, the whole place staring at me signalling one all as I walked back in. I was 15 watching that tournament and remember almost every game. Swore I'd go to the next world cup Ireland qualified for.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yep, Robbie’s goal for me too...

6-2 to Robbie currently, I'll try and get one more in tonite and continue in the morning, 13 first round ties left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

This never gets old :D

A mod might stick on the thread title something like Nominations closed - Knockout Comp

• Advertisement

• Robbie Keane goal.

Yay, we'll call it a night there, 13 left for tomorrow and hopefully put a good hole in R2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Green&Red wrote: »
    6-2 to Robbie currently, I'll try and get one more in tonite and continue in the morning, 13 first round ties left

Definitely Robbie. I was there when it happened. I swear he looked directly at me in the crowd!!

jaxxx wrote: »
    This never gets old :D

The music ruined an otherwise great moment

Another two massive Irish moments here

Padraig Harrington lifts the first of his three majors at the Open in 2007. Lands in the water twice on the 17th and looks to have blown it but monsters the playoff against Sergio

V

Our only track gold medal at the Olympics, Ronnie Delaney in Melbourne 1956

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Not really a fan of either sports but I would go with the Olympics, just seems more special winning gold at the Olympics than a golf major thats played 4 times a year

I think a lot of people underestimate Harringtons achievement. At the time, it had been a very long gap to the last Irish major winner, probably due to the fact we've had Harrington, McIlroy and Lowry pick a few more it's diluted it a bit.

That said, Delaney, gold at the Olympics on the track gets my vote. Huge achievement

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't really want to vote against Padraig so despite the Olympic gold I'm not going to.

Harrington for me

Delaney for me, 1500m is one of the most competitive events, amazing achievement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Delaney. An Irish person winning something like that so long ago and so far away is almost the stiff of myth.

Advertisement