Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Home Delivery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

hurikane wrote: »
    Lots of space for them and a garage, no issue.

But some people live in apartments, not houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

SuperValu does biodegradable liners in their crates and hands those liners over.

Ideal for apartments or where there is no opportunity to move from Tesco crates onto appropriate surfaces or own packing materials.

No extra cost either.

I always got to keep my crates on my old place. New place they refuse and even don’t want to bring the stuff into the apartment building and make you pack out in the drive way due to the you know what.

SuperValu driver rolls the creates to my apartment door, ties the bags with a nice bow for easy carry and all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

SuperValu does biodegradable liners in .

Are they really biodegradable? Happy to hear that.

Get delivery every week and always thought it seems such a waste of plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

But some people live in apartments, not houses.

Are you for real? I obviously know that.

You didn’t need to comment that you wouldn’t want them taking space, I was posting my experience with the crates. Then you follow up with a comment about people live in apartments? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Got a Tesco delivery today, no problems. Crates are stacked on the front step, I empty into shopping bags, crates go back in van. Driver waits at van while I unpack. Always happy with Tesco service. But so many basic items unavailable when doing my next order - no peppers, tomatoes, green beans etc. Worrying. Hopefully will be resolved before then.

Even more worrying is that for the first time since March there are no slots available from Supervalu at all. I've had a lot of issues with SV for the last 2 orders, items charged for but not delivered, promises to send the driver back later on then hearing nothing. Then spending an age on hold to get a refund, still left without lots of items! Also, lots of items delivered that clearly belonging to somebody else! Scattered throughout the crates so not noticed until driver gone. Not substitutes, just random items. I'm currently stuck with a load of smoothie drinks and packets of yogurt I'll never eat and I have no room for.

Overall, as someone who hasn't set foot in a shop since March, and who has no access to a car, I'm worried about how things will pan out over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

so many basic items unavailable when doing my next order - no peppers, tomatoes, green beans etc.

I'm presuming if your item isn't in stock and there's no substitute available that you get a refund via credit on your Tescos account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I'm presuming if your item isn't in stock and there's no substitute available that you get a refund via credit on your Tescos account?

They only preauthorise when you do your order. You aren't charged until someone actually scans your shopping through a till on the day of your delivery. So if stuff not available on the day then it just won't be charged for if they can't substitute (or if you ask them not to). The issue at the moment is just that stuff is actually listed as unavailable, so I can't put it in my basket at all. If that much stuff is going to remain unavailable then there's going to be big problems. This is from a massive Tesco (Liffey Valley).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

They only preauthorise when you do your order. You aren't charged until someone actually scans your shopping through a till on the day of your delivery. So if stuff not available on the day then it just won't be charged for if they can't substitute (or if you ask them not to). The issue at the moment is just that stuff is actually listed as unavailable, so I can't put it in my basket at all. If that much stuff is going to remain unavailable then there's going to be big problems. This is from a massive Tesco (Liffey Valley).

I noticed a decent chunk out of stock in mine too. It comes from Maynooth. However there were different things out on different nights. So I edited the shop on Friday and again tonight and I think I got a bit more as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

893bet wrote: »
    Are they really biodegradable? Happy to hear that.

Get delivery every week and always thought it seems such a waste of plastic.

You need to peel of those address labels (or cut them out) but on my last 2 deliveries the bags I got were biodegradable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

What time of day is best to amend the Tesco online orders in order to get the best stock levels?
    I normally amend on a Monday morning and on a Wednesday morning for delivery Thursday. But lots of missing items this morning. Lots of fresh food missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

crisco10 wrote: »
    You can keep the crate. We do all the time. Then just give them back to next delivery driver.

Like I said, you shouldn't have been let, and it's pot luck with the driver as there's been internal crackdowns on doing so.

There's no big issue with the whole delivery process, take the crate into your house, empty it onto a table or whatever, and hand it back. No need to pack it into bags at your doorstep.
    SusanC10 wrote: »
    What time of day is best to amend the Tesco online orders in order to get the best stock levels?
    I normally amend on a Monday morning and on a Wednesday morning for delivery Thursday. But lots of missing items this morning. Lots of fresh food missing.

It doesn't matter when you amend it, they don't pick until the day, or very late the night before, of delivery. Nothing it reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Hurrache wrote: »
    Like I said, you shouldn't have been let, and it's pot luck with the driver as there's been internal crackdowns on doing so.

There's no big issue with the whole delivery process, take the crate into your house, empty it onto a table or whatever, and hand it back. No need to pack it into bags at your doorstep.

Fair enough. Just passing on my experience over last 18 months or so where it has not been an issue at all. Granted last delivery I wanted to give the crates back so the driver waited for me to empty in the kitchen as you describe.

Hurrache wrote: »

It doesn't matter when you amend it, they don't pick until the day, or very late the night before, of delivery. Nothing it reserved.

No, I know that. But if the Item is out of stock at the time of online checkout then it can't be added at all. At least if I can add it, then I have some chance of getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Night owl gal

hi all, quick question, is it ok to ask the driver to help you unpack the shopping from their boxes to my bag?

Have a delivery tomorrow afternoon, have a load of things ordered so would take a while for me to transfer the items by myself

• Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

hi all, quick question, is it ok to ask the driver to help you unpack the shopping from their boxes to my bag?

Have a delivery tomorrow afternoon, have a load of things ordered so would take a while for me to transfer the items by myself

Do you have big wash baskets ? I find them great to fling everything in and put in the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Not sure if they are permitted to do that with COVID measures in place. From what I understand the drivers are not the pickers. Don't think drivers are suppose to handle the goods. Any time I have forgot something in a crate, the driver has handed me the crate to take the item out rather than handle it himself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

They will give you enough time to unload it all. They are usually very patient.

Had a look at Tesco online again this am.
    Seems a lot of Continental Cheeses like Feta, Mozzarella, Goat's Cheese etc out of stock. Also own brand Sour Cream, Creme Fraiche, Hummus. Various vegetables again, Raspberries. Avonmore Cream.

Is this all Brexit related ?

Had a look at Tesco online again this am.
    Seems a lot of Continental Cheeses like Feta, Mozzarella, Goat's Cheese etc out of stock. Also own brand Sour Cream, Creme Fraiche, Hummus. Various vegetables again, Raspberries. Avonmore Cream.

Is this all Brexit related ?

Don't know about the cream but seeing similar impact on some non-Irish products. Online rumor mill was suggesting the Tesco Express\Extras were low on stock as the larger stores were prioritized.

We've been getting deliveries for almost 2 years. Seemed after Christmas, products had a shorter expiry window. Now the expiration length is back to normal but more items unavailable which lines up with what has been reported.

Got my delivery today, very patient as one poster said. Another quick question, anyone know how big those bags are if you request your shopping to be bagged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ltd440

Got my delivery today, very patient as one poster said. Another quick question, anyone know how big those bags are if you request your shopping to be bagged?

The bagging of groceries is only for people self isolating, and the regular tesco bags are used

ltd440 wrote: »
    The bagging of groceries is only for people self isolating, and the regular tesco bags are used

Thanks, wasn't sure if was for everyone or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

Thanks, wasn't sure if was for everyone or not

Anyone can order their shopping bagged. You do need to pay for the bags for life.

Got an email today that requested that you get your shopping bagged if you are self-isolating, to minimise contact/time spent obviously.
    Doesn't say that it's free, mind.

Anyway, you can still opt to get your shopping bagged if you like though. Just costs a little.

lucalux wrote: »
    Anyone can order their shopping bagged. You do need to pay for the bags for life.

Got an email today that requested that you get your shopping bagged if you are self-isolating, to minimise contact/time spent obviously.
    Doesn't say that it's free, mind.

Anyway, you can still opt to get your shopping bagged if you like though. Just costs a little.

Legally, it can't be free right? Unless they are donating some bags for life which I'd doubt. They usually use paper bags for fruit but they wouldn't be worth a ****e for a big shop. Would need plastic bags which have to incur the levy or they'd be breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Legally, it can't be free right? Unless they are donating some bags for life which I'd doubt. They usually use paper bags for fruit but they wouldn't be worth a ****e for a big shop. Would need plastic bags which have to incur the levy or they'd be breaking the law.

I agree, was just making sure it was clear, in case someone thought it was only for people who were self-isolating, or that it was a free service.

Weird experience yesterday. Driver wanted to come into our house with the crates - 3 times I said No. Then he told me to keep the crates until next time and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Weird experience yesterday. Driver wanted to come into our house with the crates - 3 times I said No. Then he told me to keep the crates until next time and left.

How odd . Our lovely driver will put them on the drive and is always cheery and friendly . He waits while we load into our boxes or wash baskets . I wouldn’t know where to store his crates !

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    How odd . Our lovely driver will put them on the drive and is always cheery and friendly . He waits while we load into our boxes or wash baskets . I wouldn’t know where to store his crates !

Never had this before. Usually the Driver stacks the crates outside the front door and stands back away from me while I unpack.

Yesterday, the Driver wasn't wearing his Mask correctly and kept asking me if he could put the crates in our Kitchen which is at the opposite end of the house. I said No twice and then had to be very definite in my 3rd No. At this point, he said quite abruptly to just keep the crates until next time and left.

The crates are currently in our shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

very strange!

• Advertisement

Also had a strange one the other week, wanted to bring up the stuff to my kitchen as well. Also when he took the crates out first, he took the wrong one out (someones else order), but thankfully realized his mistake. Also put my items into my shopping basket/bag instead of me doing it. He wasn't abrupt or rude though, very nice man

Advertisement