Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

When PressUp gets their day in court, I'd nearly guarantee that the weasel govt will come out with the "guidelines and not rules" spiel that they used for the Ryanair/Aer Lingus court case. I've emailed Revenue multiple times asking what the laws (not guidelines) were regarding closing "my" pub under the "Living with Covid" levels, such as was I liable to any fines if I opened, could I lose my license, what powers the Gardai had to close me down and were these restrictions covered in law, or just guidelines.

They have so far refused to reply.

What the hell has revenue got to do with health or justice laws/guidelines. Maybe ask the correct department

Tubridy reckons if we behave people can come from the US for Christmas.

Utter diarrhoea from the talentless cretin

Hate the fool but if maybe followed the simple rules we would not be in this mess

Guest “Have a bath, take a deep breath”

Ryan “ yeah just get the bubbles going, have a glass of wine, I feel better already”

Please cut my ears off and pour hot engine oil into the crevice

And this is the reason he has the high numbers people listening and then go complaint just to feel better. Maybe if you turn of the news, boards, facebook, twitter and chat shows for a bit and did other stuff you may feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

Strumms wrote: »
    The underlying conditions mob need to see a psychologist. A nice big collective get together. Next time somebody dies of cancer... “ ahhhh yeah, but they had an underlying condition, they only died WITH cancer “. Right :eek:

You are comparing a deadly disease, a mutation that is the second-leading cause of death in the world, with a virus that is not fatal unless you have underlying conditions. And even if you do have any, you are likely to be cured and survive.

Not sure who needs a psychologist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What the hell has revenue got to do with health or justice laws/guidelines. Maybe ask the correct department

Legislation was searched and provided with a 2 minute search. A simple google of ‘Garda powers licences premised Ireland legislation gave a number 1 hit. Most newspapers reported it and editorial was in print and online.

Citizens information office had online and easy to find. A call to them would have had it within seconds.

The VFI and LVA had it front and centre. Law society gazette had it.

The police would assist if contacted, your solicitor (never heard of a pub without one) would provide it free of charge.

Your accountant would requested legal updates from their accredited body.

Local TD..1 minute.
    In fact finding a revenue contact who would deal in criminal law and had a direct email would be the slowest and most bizarre way of going about it. If you were closed down for example having an unsafe work environment or for permitting criminal acts to be undertaken, would you send an email to revenue without do anything else?

Nox, Ciara Kelly is an ACTUAL Doctor, not a Fisher Price one like yourself.

Ciara Kelly hasn't been an actual doctor is years. As soon as she realised she could leverage her own show and agenda she gave it all up. Has she not stop paying her fees to stay on the register

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

SAMTALK wrote: »
    All the people shouting for schools to close down and yet as you say schools should be riddled by now

I think it was actually one of the better decisions the government made, keeping the schools open. The kids need this stability now and to be honest the teachers whinging is getting a little wearing .

when do they ever not whinge to be fair this is like christmas for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

And this is the reason he has the high numbers people listening and then go complaint just to feel better. Maybe if you turn of the news, boards, facebook, twitter and chat shows for a bit and did other stuff you may feel better

Thanks for the advice.

Might run a hot bath with bubbles as well

Covid has not killed 1.12m. 1.12 m (vast majority of whom were over the age of 80) have died while (or after) testing positive for PCR test.

Turn off RTE. Really.

So what if they were over 80 they died. Who knows how long more they could have lived. Have some respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Great, they can come home and bring covid with them, party at loads of different houses at christmas, then fcuk off back to american in january leaving us to deal with the fallout.

• Advertisement

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    What's with the grave visit loophole?

Can't you just say you're visiting Micheal Collins grave or Bob's grave if stopped while outside the 5km radius?

No it is for people who want to visit graves of a deceased as they could not get to the funeral or anniversaries not for you to chuckle look I fooled them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

darconio wrote: »
    You are comparing a deadly disease, a mutation that is the second-leading cause of death in the world, with a virus that is not fatal unless you have underlying conditions. And even if you do have any, you are likely to be cured and survive.

I’m sure who needs one ;)

COVID 1,117,577 deaths

Only Covid no other health issues.

It is like that it is why they were formed with a narrow remit!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It is like that it is why they were formed with a narrow remit!!!!!!

Correct Martin.

It is however misleading to refer to them as concerned with public health.

They are only concerned with the health effects of Covid, not cancer or mental health, or any of the other issues that fall under the public health umbrella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Strumms wrote: »
    In WW2 in London, there were restrictions, about when people could be out and about, their behaviors, things like blackout curtains, curfews, rations etc".

This is a health war, people are dying.

Like in any war, or time of unprecedented difficulty, people are as individuals and as a collective, being expected to do the right thing. People have as a result of the situation we find ourselves in been delegated responsibilities and had to endure restrictions. They need to suck it up, quit their needy, greedy, fûcking asswipe ‘all about me’ whining and behave. DO their part. Not too much for six weeks, in the middle of a deadly pandemic to ask and expect behavior suitable to the situation we find ourselves .

Thankfully i’m lucky enough that the “ lockdown” won’t really affect me at all. Due to my work i can travel 1k a week, 5km doesn’t apply to me. I can have the household social bubble with my partner. At night I can still have my glass of vino while watching the tv, the moggy beside me.

The main thing i miss is travelling to family in the USA. Hopefully upcoming vaccines just might change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

pgj2015 wrote: »

Great, they can come home and bring covid with them, party at loads of different houses at christmas, then fcuk off back to american in january leaving us to deal with the fallout.

This is the kinda attitude that puts me off flying home for Christmas from the UK. Everyone was quick to blame anyone who flew into the country back in March and you had dickheads like Gemma O'Doherty confronting people who dared to fly home and it'll be the same come January.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Legislation was searched and provided with a 2 minute search. A simple google of ‘Garda powers licences premised Ireland legislation gave a number 1 hit. Most newspapers reported it and editorial was in print and online.

Citizens information office had online and easy to find. A call to them would have had it within seconds.

The VFI and LVA had it front and centre. Law society gazette had it.

The police would assist if contacted, your solicitor (never heard of a pub without one) would provide it free of charge.

Your accountant would requested legal updates from their accredited body.

Local TD..1 minute.
    In fact finding a revenue contact who would deal in criminal law and had a direct email would be the slowest and most bizarre way of going about it. If you were closed down for example having an unsafe work environment or for permitting criminal acts to be undertaken, would you send an email to revenue without do anything else?

Oh I agree. If he really did not know the legislation he could find it in 2 seconds. I be wondering did he really mail Revenue. Though I do work in Revenue and deal with post and some of the crap send to them I would not be surprised if they did

Thanks for the advice.

Enjoy:D

Correct Martin.

It is however misleading to refer to them as concerned with public health.

They are only concerned with the health effects of Covid, not cancer or mental health, or any of the other issues that fall under the public health umbrella

Yes that is why we have a government to make the ultimate decision. You know the 1 people were celebrating 2 weeks ago for showing them who rules. I suppose they need a big bad to help them through this which is fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's all a big laugh

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1020/1172624-covid-lee-analysis/

Hmm, it's almost like lockdown's don't make a difference and you as a society have to learn to live with the disease...

You quote where lockdown does make a difference and then draw the conclusion that they don't...?! There's no doubting that they make a difference...when it's in place. The issue is that once you come out of it, numbers rise. It's a balancing act.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

This is the kinda attitude that puts me off flying home for Christmas from the UK. Everyone was quick to blame anyone who flew into the country back in March and you had dickheads like Gemma O'Doherty confronting people who dared to fly home and it'll be the same come January.

Come home. Be careful and don't mind what others say and have the best Christmas we can have

Only Covid no other health issues.

The clue is in the name - National Public Health EMERGENCY Team. I'm sure, when other health emergencies come to the fore, they'll be all over them.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Penfailed wrote: »
    The clue is in the name - National Public Health EMERGENCY Team. I'm sure, when other health emergencies come to the fore, they'll be all over them.

Very true, but the full name is rarely used.

People hear the phrase "Chief Medical Officer" and a substantial percentage will think this person is over all medical issues, kinda like a medically qualified version of the minister for health.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭AUDI20

If your going to make a statement, at least get your facts right. There is plenty of examples of people with no underlying conditions dying from Covid as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Actually, their remit specifically states that they're to consider public health as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I dont see how 1 person dying per day with covid on average since July in a country of 4,900,000 can be classed as emergency.

Maybe there is something we dont know about covid currently - thats why its an emergency?

Maybe HSE dont have PPE? Thats why its an emergency?

Pen help me out please, why is current situation classed as "emergency"?

And the reason there death was hastened was Covid. My mother had cancer. However why she died in the end was lungs filling up but she died of cancer. That's the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Allinall wrote: »
    Why would you email Revenue?

They look after pub licenses and renewals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I dont see how 1 person dying per day with covid on average since July in a country of 4,900,000 can be classed as emergency.

Maybe there is something we dont know about covid currently - thats why its an emergency?

Maybe HSE dont have PPE? Thats why its an emergency?

It was rightfully labelled an emergency back in March.

However that time has passed.

We are far more knowledgeable about it now and we know it won't wipe out humanity or come close to.

But it'll take real political leadership to explain to a lot of people why this is so.

Soundbites win, be it "granny killer", "take back control", "MAGA" or "hope".

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭greengrass88

Regarding underlying issues...my auntie who is mid 50s, very bad asthma her whole life, and is overweight tested positive (teenage son brought it home from school). She had no symptoms and is absolutely grand. Wonder how many others like her are petrified for their life due to the scaremongering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It was rightfully labelled an emergency back in March.

However that time has passed.

We are far more knowledgeable about it now and we know it won't wipe out humanity or come close to.

But it'll take real political leadership to explain to a lot of people why this is so.

Soundbites win, be it "granny killer", "take back control", "MAGA" or "hope".

Have RTE gone back to STAY LOCAL yet?

Or maybe they'll go with the new narrative SAVE XMAS instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

They look after pub licenses and renewals.

The temporary closing of "your" pub has nothing to do with licencing.

I'd imagine the recipient of your email had a good chuckle, before hitting the delete button.

Regarding underlying issues...my auntie who is mid 50s, very bad asthma her whole life, and is overweight tested positive (teenage son brought it home from school). She had no symptoms and is absolutely grand. Wonder how many others like her are petrified for their life due to the scaremongering

She's lucky.

Not everyone has been, or will be as lucky as your aunt.

She's lucky.

Not everyone has been, or will be as lucky as your aunt.

I acknowledge others havent been as lucky, but it's also important to acknowledge that testing positive with numerous underlying issues and being above a certain age is not the death sentence many want to make out

• Registered Users Posts: 19 galway_cowboy

I know of 5 people who've definitely had it. I just had contact with them via zoom but all excpet one described it as "meh".

And of course while RTE are scaring the beejesus out of everyone, let's return to the death rates

0-19 years: 0.00003%
    20-49 years: 0.0002%
    50-69 years: 0.005%
    70+ years: 0.054%

Reckon Tubs will read that out ever? Nah, me neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The temporary closing of "your" pub has nothing to do with licencing.

I'd imagine the recipient of your email had a good chuckle, before hitting the delete button.

Ah well, at least it would have brightened up their day a bit.

Nox, Ciara Kelly is an ACTUAL Doctor, not a Fisher Price one like yourself.

What’s her PhD in? Medical doctors are not actually doctors you know and shouldn’t have ever been allowed use the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭joeguevara

How many cases were linked back to pubs? And how many cases are linked back to schools? Because ones been closed and the other “isn’t a significant factor in the rise of cases”

Regarding licences, Berlin D2 for their licence renewed despite Garda objection!

From every published article, the case has been put forward for hearing on the 28th October. The licence has not been renewed as far as I am aware and waiting for evidence to be heard.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/court-challenge-to-berlin-bar-licence-1018870.html

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

AUDI20 wrote: »
    If your going to make a statement, at least get your facts right. There is plenty of examples of people with no underlying conditions dying from Covid as well.

That was probably back in March, not the case anymore now

Is not my fault if the mantra of this "crisis" is: protect the vulnerable.

It is either the vulnerable that are risking it or they aren't, every measure and every lockdown is to protect the vulnerable: so who are these vulnerable?

Yesterday 0 deaths, nobody with or without underlying condition died of this fatal virus, the truth is that we are learning to deal with corona, the sooner we acknowledge it the better.

Oh, I don't know. I'd guess it's that Covid pandemic thing that's going on. Maybe you don't realise...it's why NPHET were set up.

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote: »
    From every published article, the case has been put forward for hearing on the 28th October. The licence has not been renewed as far as I am aware and waiting for evidence to be heard.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/court-challenge-to-berlin-bar-licence-1018870.html

It’s been renewed, and the guards objected to the renewal and it’s going to a hearing. But as of now, they have a licence. This is effectively an appeal of that renewal!

On another note! Stand up and take a bow Ciara Kelly

https://youtu.be/0-3caTzOpOU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What’s her PhD in? Medical doctors are not actually doctors you know and shouldn’t have ever been allowed use the title.

2a : a person skilled or specializing in healing arts
    especially : one (such as a physician, dentist, or veterinarian) who holds an advanced degree and is licensed to Practice

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/doctor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Many people are furious today. And with good cause.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭josip

Thanks for the advice.

Make sure he gets the tap end.

P2X4lZ4.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest from Europe as restrictions gather pace and lock downs are being announced

Germany imposes local lockdown on Alpine hotspot

Germany is putting the Bavarian municipality of Berchtesgadener Land under lockdown from 2pm today, as the picturesque Alpine region becomes the country’s main coronavirus hotspot.

Schools, nurseries and restaurants will remain closed from today and after 2pm residents will not be allowed to leave their homes unless they have a strong reason to do so, such as work commitments, groceries shopping or outdoor exercise. The local lockdown is the first of its kind in Bavaria since April.

Navarre placed in lockdown for at least 2 weeks

In Spain, the government of the northern region of Navarre has announced that a two-week lockdown will come into effect from Thursday in a bid to slow a massive surge in Covid-19 cases in the area.

Spain recorded almost 38,000 new cases on Monday and has now logged almost 975,000 in total.

While the number of cases per 100,000 people across Spain is 312.2, the figure rises to 945.4 in Navarre.

Is just the start. Ireland is just ahead of the curve this time.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/oct/20/coronavirus-live-news-who-says-failure-to-quarantine-behind-soaring-case-rises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

On another note! Stand up and take a bow Ciara Kelly

https://youtu.be/0-3caTzOpOU
    I can't wait for her follow up video with her alternative solution outlined in detail!

gmisk wrote: »
    I can't wait for her follow up video with her alternative solution outlined in detail!

You don’t need to have a solution to an issue recognise the approach taken as being of little benefit!

Thinking of leaving Dublin today or tomorrow and heading to the folks (other side of the country) for the duration of this lockdown...if I get stopped at a checkpoint can I just say I'm heading home?

• Advertisement

Thinking of leaving Dublin today or tomorrow and heading to the folks (other side of the country) for the duration of this lockdown...if I get stopped at a checkpoint can I just say I'm heading home?

Go for it.

They're not going to say anything if you tell them what you're doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement