Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

circadian wrote: »
    The clubs also play in leagues, no? It was pretty obvious this was going to happen. It would be well within the remit of the GAA to enforce something like that. After all the organisation is always trying to present itself as part of the community, a grassroots organisation. Maybe help guide the community instead of turning a blind eye.

Leagues don't matter in club, but again they didn't turn a blind eye, they suspended all games. As someone already pointed out they have stopped 99.7% of all gaa activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

mohawk wrote: »
    Shopping isn’t on the list of things you can go beyond the 5km for. Now obviously grocery shopping should be grand but driving to your local town for click and collect of something non-essential your definitely in a grey area until they clarify it further.

Who is to say what is non essential or not? What the hell is wrong with click and collect? We need to give business every chance to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

A tad hyperbolic perhaps?

A tad, not completely untrue but the numbers were already rising before most of these celebrations. I think those gatherings increased the pace of spread rather than caused the increase in numbers initially. There's a whole range of complex reasons why it's increasing across the country but those areas with celebrations have definitely seen a sharp rise within the 2 weeks after.

See below;
    Numbers on 15th October

Football;
    County|Date|LEA|14 day rate per 100k
    Meath|4th October|Ratoath|141.1
    Cavan|3rd October|Ballyjamesduff|147.3
    Galway|4th October|Conamara South|28.1
    Tipperary|27th September|Clonmel|41.1
    Kildare|4th October|Athy|82.9
    Dublin|17th September|Dún Laoghaire|124.9

Hurling;
    Clare|27th September|Shannon|98.7
    Cork|4th October|Cork City South-East|93.5
    Galway|4th October|Gort|102.1
    Kilkenny|27th September|Callan|35.5
    Limerick|20th September|Limerick City North|138.3
    Tipperary|20th September|Roscrea|48.2
    Waterford|30th August|Waterford City East|21.8
    Wexford|23 August|Wexford|17.2

Numbers on 16th October

Football;
    Meath|4th October|Ratoath|375.2
    Cavan|3rd October|Ballyjamesduff|651.1
    Galway|4th October|Conamara South|112.5
    Tipperary|27th September|Clonmel|45.2
    Kildare|4th October|Athy|128.1
    Dublin|17th September|Dún Laoghaire|103.3
    Hurling;
    Clare|27th September|Shannon|365.2
    Cork|4th October|Cork City South-East|231.4
    Galway|4th October|Gort|97.9
    Kilkenny|27th September|Callan|114.4
    Limerick|20th September|Limerick City North|227.6
    Tipperary|20th September|Roscrea|120.5
    Waterford|30th August|Waterford City East|56.6
    Wexford|23 August|Wexford|20.6

LEA based confirmed cases can be found here https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/ although it doesn't seem to have been updated recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

People with preconceived notions against the GAA are using this as an opportunity to bash the GAA.

And there also the likes of the below which appears to be based on nothing only jealousy that top level sports are permitted to go ahead.
    It should have all been stopped.if we have to stay home and obey another lockdown so should they.
    It should be across the board or as the paddywhackers say “we are all in this together”.
    Yesterday was a farce.

The people making the decisions have the relevant information to hand. If matches/races/etc were causing a major problem they'd have stopped them. They obviously are not causing a major problem and OTOH it's hugely important to a huge part of the population to have some small bit of the entertainment and enjoyment provided by live sports and distraction in a very bleak time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭prunudo

nimrod86 wrote: »
    RTE Radio 1 were just playing interviews with queues outside Penny's in Dublin City Centre - people there since 4am to get in and stock up on PJ's and Dressing gowns for christmas...

And it will be the same the day they re open. Amazing that neither the government nor nphet seem to realise they are causing a higher density of people in enclosed spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

nimrod86 wrote: »
    RTE Radio 1 were just playing interviews with queues outside Penny's in Dublin City Centre - people there since 4am to get in and stock up on PJ's and Dressing gowns for christmas...

The queue for Smyths in Tallaght is all the way around the car park since early

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Stay at home.

Exercise within 5 kilometres of home.

There will be a penalty for movement outside 5 kilometres of home, with the following exceptions:

•travel to and from work, where work involves providing an essential service
    •to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products
    •travel to attend disability day services
    •for food shopping
    •for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, and in particular for those who live alone but excluding social family visits
    •for farming purposes, that is food production or care of animals
    •to attend a wedding or funeral
    •to visit a grave

Click and collect PJs from penneys?

Everybody's head is wrecked with the new restrictions and contradictions arising. Why not just close the country down for the next 2 weeks starting next Monday? Short, hard lockdown. . The schools would only be closed for one extra week because of midterm. Non essentials would be closed for 2 weeks but only 2 weeks and not 6. People much more likely to follow a 2 week restriction than 6.

This bull**** of close a lot but not all. Mental health is important so let certain G.A.A. games take place but no gym classes. Exercise is more important for mental health than looking at a game. Schools can open with 30 people plus per room but hairdressers can't open with 4. Weddings 25 and you can have your big party at any time later but funeral only 10 for the last goodbye for a person on this earth (not going to do a party 6 months later) Only 5k for exercise but no ban on flights or ferries or stopping traffic from the north.

Some places spent a lot of money to comply with restrictions after last lockdown and it's like a kick in the face to them to close them again.

I don't disagree that it's tough on small businesses. I'd much rather they could stay open and trade but that clearly isn't working due to a significant cohort of the population not working with everyone else by following very simple guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

I hope its not true, but are there rumours/confirmations going about of people panic shopping AGAIN?

Would this really be that surprising?

"We're going to close ALL non-essential retail for 6 weeks starting the day after tomorrow."

Across the entire country there's going to be plenty of folk who had plans for things or who need to buy things or who aren't 100% sure on what "non-essential" is going to apply to.

6 weeks is a decent amount of time for shops to be closed. Especially as we move on into colder weather etc.

Plus, the government advice is pretty much stay at home.
    So many would be thinking OK I need 6 weeks worth of groceries.

"The virus is really dangerous. Stay at home for 6 weeks."
    Oh well I'd better get out now and stock up on 6 weeks worth of stuff.
    "No no no you can go and get shopping every few days!"

Right so the virus is so dangerous that ALL retail needs to be shut for 6 weeks but not so dangerous that I can't go to the supermarket every other day?

mohawk wrote: »
    Shopping isn’t on the list of things you can go beyond the 5km for. Now obviously grocery shopping should be grand but driving to your local town for click and collect of something non-essential your definitely in a grey area until they clarify it further.

Shopping is on the list of things you can go beyond 5km for.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/level5/#domestic-travel-restrictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Is it true you can still travel outside your own county if it is for a wedding, the only place I have seen it mentioned was the Journal and we'll it's the Journal.

A tad, not completely untrue but the numbers were already rising before most of these celebrations. I think those gatherings increased the pace of spread rather than caused the increase in numbers initially. There's a whole range of complex reasons why it's increasing across the country but those areas with celebrations have definitely seen a sharp rise within the 2 weeks after.

See below;
    Numbers on 15th October

Football;

Hurling;

Numbers on 16th October

Football;
    Hurling;

LEA based confirmed cases can be found here https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/ although it doesn't seem to have been updated recently.

I'm in clare, nobody won anything in Shannon. Wolfe tonnes have been regressing badly last 10 years and were out of the championship months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If the gaa want to be classed as elite and professional sports bodies let them pay the players as professionals then and drop the amateur, pat on the back status

The GAA had the opportunity to get the message across that these types of gatherings would not be tolerated. Potential fines/docked points or whatever for breaches.

But they didn't.

I agree that other sports should be stopped for the foreseeable. LoI has a mixture of professional and semi pro clubs, it's risky although not linked to outbreaks yet. Rugby probably not as risky but I'm not overly familiar with the structure.

32 county teams playing 30 odd football games and 17 hurling games is not the same as hundreds of clubs playing games in hundreds of grounds around the country.

And the GAA is not responsible for the behaviour of individuals after the leave the grounds. Because the GAA, even at local level, is so high profile, all these instances are highlighted. We dont see what has happened at the hundreds of local soccer and rugby clubs around the country, as this tends to fly completely under the radar, but you can be sure there have been similar issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭thomas 123

People with preconceived notions against the GAA are using this as an opportunity to bash the GAA.

And there also the likes of the below which appears to be based on nothing only jealousy that top level sports are permitted to go ahead.

The people making the decisions have the relevant information to hand. If matches/races/etc were causing a major problem they'd have stopped them. They obviously are not causing a major problem and OTOH it's hugely important to a huge part of the population to have some small bit of the entertainment and enjoyment provided by live sports and distraction in a very bleak time.

There is a point in there though, training should not continue in any form for kids.

Yes it will be detrimental to mental health etc but why should it continue if all Measures are being taken to keep schools open.

People are losing their lives directly due to covid or it’s knock on effects(business closures , hospital appointments etc) but a group of kids can still meet up twice a week for a kick about?

Where is the logic? Why can’t a group of adults meet up for a game of casual soccer then(if mental health is the reason)? Why can’t you travel outside 5km to go for a walk? What happens if the training is more than 5km away?

It makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Eamonn Ryan, watery and open minded

Fionnain Sheehan on CB

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The people making the decisions have the relevant information to hand.
    Well no they don't really given they've pretty much admitted their tracing system has collapsed.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm in clare, nobody won anything in Shannon. Wolfe tonnes have been regressing badly last 10 years and were out of the championship months ago.

https://www.the42.ie/clare-hurling-sixmilebridge-5216209-Sep2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Stay at home.

Exercise within 5 kilometres of home.

There will be a penalty for movement outside 5 kilometres of home, with the following exceptions:

•travel to and from work, where work involves providing an essential service
    •to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products
    •travel to attend disability day services
    •for food shopping
    •for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, and in particular for those who live alone but excluding social family visits
    •for farming purposes, that is food production or care of animals
    •to attend a wedding or funeral
    •to visit a grave

Click and collect PJs from penneys?
    In other words there is no way way the Gardai can enforce this 5km rule which from today will become a law.
    There are so many exceptions that it would have been more honest to omit the 5km rule altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Eamonn Ryan, watery and open minded

Fionnain Sheehan on CB

It’s difficult to tell if Eamon Ryan is asleep or awake most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

who do these union officials think they are? "the government has to convince me.....". Just wow..... delusions of grandeur.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40067835.html

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The queue for Smyths in Tallaght is all the way around the car park since early

Click and collect is going to be a breeze in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Boggles wrote: »
    So what did they actually close?

Clothes Shops.

Personal Grooming

Gyms.

Everything else remains open.

I can understand the possibility of spread in gyms, but where is the data or the reasoning for the other 2?

I talked to a Dr. working in public health and they informed me gyms haven't had a meaningful impact on spreading the virus (despite what many would initially think), so there isn't data to support closing them either.

But let's be real, nobody was expecting them to take an evidence based approach to this

I'm actually living there, sixmilebridge is not in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Without a shadow of a doubt. Just look at these threads, many of those giving out about the lockdown are the same ones who are against wearing masks, or going on pub crawls etc.

That not really fair at all. I hate masks, always forgetting them, but wear them an have no problem wearing them.

I follow the rules and have rarely been to the pub. I will turn around from the beach if too busy.

But I am against lockdown because it punishes those who have complied more than those who havent. Because it punishes the shops who have spent thousands to safely open. Because it punishes the gyms who havent been outbreak hotspots.

The reason we are in lockdown is because there are people in the country who are too stupid or selfish to follow the rules at level 3. And we have to take everything away from everyone to make them even follow basic rules (and they still wont)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Big Ears wrote: »
    I talked to a Dr. working in public health and they informed me gyms haven't had a meaningful impact on spreading the virus (despite what many would initially think), so there isn't data to support closing them either.

But let's be real, nobody was problem expecting them to take an evidence based approach to this

But they will quote the BS 2% figure from schools even though the cohort affected are most likely to be asymptomatic and not being tested in line or even close to inline with public health advice.

Yes, it is.

http://www.boundarycommittee.ie/Maps/Clare%20LEA%20Report%20Map%202018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

See below;
    Numbers on 15th October

Football;

Hurling;

Numbers on 16th October

Football;
    Hurling;

Utter muck framing conclusions from LEA data. My own LEA is almost the size of county Louth and our county final was suspended. Take your axe with the GAA and grind it someplace else.

Per the map here it is in the Shannon Local Electoral Area which is what the quoted figures refer to.

Even so though, the after match celebrations were obviously an issue and the GAA took action and cancelled all club matches before being prompted to do so by the authorities.

Edit: linky: https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Advertisement

That not really fair at all. I hate masks, always forgetting them, but wear them an have no problem wearing them.

I follow the rules and have rarely been to the pub. I will turn around from the beach if too busy.

But I am against lockdown because it punishes those who have complied more than those who havent. Because it punishes the shops who have spent thousands to safely open. Because it punishes the gyms who havent been outbreak hotspots.

The reason we are in lockdown is because there are people in the country who are too stupid or selfish to follow the rules at level 3. And we have to take everything away from everyone to make them even follow basic rules (and they still wont)

I said many, not all. But yes, I completely agree with you on the level 3 point. If everyone made the effort we wouldn't be having another full lockdown. Without a doubt.

My point was aimed at those who just didn't bother following level 3 rules and then complaining about lockdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement