Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Gael23 wrote: »
    Step too far this time.

We done it before and look where we are now

We can't predict the virus completely yet.

A percentage of people are making this worse for everyone. Obviously these people know far more than medical experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Oh jeez

Leo must of been on his phone during that lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

That 56 case outbreak from the lad returning from abroad that didn't self isolate highlights the weakness at the borders and the ineffectiveness of the request (which is all it is) for 2 weeks restricted movements.

I'd also be very wary of the timing of Fine Gaels video regarding the measure being confusing given the details of the 56 became available the following morning.

And worst still, looks like nothing will be done about. Eamon Ryan saying he had a phone call with his counterparts in the UK and Germany. I mean this is the man's remit, and now on the 20th of October he is having a phone call with them. No details beyond that. Pathetic

Bet that guy returning played Hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Oh jeez

Leo must of been on his phone during that lesson

As somebody who can't stand Leo, I have to say he's correct here!

The day starts at 0:00 and ends at 23:29

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

statto25 wrote: »
    According to many on here its just GAA members that can spread Covid-19. Soccer and Rugby etc seem to be immune

Rugby players don't have other jobs so their number of close contacts is a fraction of a gaa player.

Gaa player works as a garda. He has 20 close contacts between fellow garda and members of the public he encounters exercising his duties. He meets and trains with county panel. A group of 30. They all work. Some are wfh and some have word place contacts. On sunday he plays against another county.

Theres just too many contacts there.

A rugby play with should be bubbled with the rugby team and his household contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Gael23 wrote: »
    Step too far this time.

We done it before and look where we are now

It's a step short tbh.

These measures aren't focused enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Benimar wrote: »

Ends at 23:59:59

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Rugby players don't have other jobs so their number of close contacts is a fraction of a gaa player.

Gaa player works as a garda. He has 20 close contacts between fellow garda and members of the public he encounters exercising his duties. He meets and trains with county panel. A group of 30. They all work. Some are wfh and some have word place contacts. On sunday he plays against another county.

A rugby play with should be bubbled with the rugby team and his household contacts.

Allowing GAA to continue is brainless.

When the gaa hadn’t the foresight or the manners to cancel the championship the government should have done it for them yesterday.
    But I’d imagine a lot of paddywhackery and back patting went on in the background and it got left alone.they should be ashamed of themselves.

What about Rugby, Horse Racing, LOI etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm seeing very little in these measures that will make any sort of difference tbh. It's the absolute lightest of L5's possible. People thinking we are going to see numbers down to any sort of level that will enable Xmas to go ahead and resemble any sort of normality are living in the clouds.

Its the harshest lockdown in the world right now, what the **** are you on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭political analyst

Given that the aftermath of this pandemic will be the economic equivalent of Armageddon, making the 2008 crisis look like a minor road-traffic collision, there might be severe cutbacks to the health service.

Will the government still be as concerned with the lives of vulnerable people then? What will happen if a pandemic of a different virus takes place at that point - how will a health service subjected to cutbacks cope then?

Hes right but wrong

Pedantic
    Ireland is moving to Level 5
    Ireland is moving to Level 5 at midnight on Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

owlbethere wrote: »
    And rightly so. There was no reason in the world to ban outdoor dining as an example. There's no evidence that spread is occurring in non essential retail and services. I don't believe that this will target the areas where spread is occurring.

What we are coming to realise is that all these restrictions are not based on any science or serious research, they are based on the need by governments to be seen to be doing something/anything.
    All the ‘evidence’ we hear about is purely anecdotal. Test and trace is totally useless in trying to contain the virus. At best it is trying to close the stable door when the horse is long gone and at worst not even knowing which stable the horse escaped from.
    What we are doing now is a modern equivalent of blood-letting which was used to treat virtually any disease. If it didn’t work the patient was subjected to even more blood-letting. If they didn’t die from the disease itself they often died from anemia.
    I would call what we are doing now social blood-letting. Social interaction is the lifeblood of human existence and we are putting ourselves in danger of destroying the social fabric that enables society to function.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

So schools were able to open because there was no wide spread community transmission.
    Level 5 is needed because of widespread community transmission.

I really cannot see how they'll remain open as the critical mass of virus builds.

Schools were able to remain open because the Government said they were going to keep them open.

There's no point trying to apply logic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

The poster was referring to a comment made about underage teams and the behavior of waiting parents, not intercounty vs professional

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Huh?! Why would the day end at 23.29?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

If they bring in fines for venturing beyond the 5km limit, but don't give gardai powers to properly crack down on house parties, then this is again targeting the wrong sorts, the easy targets if you like. And given that GAA celebrations seem to be the main driver of this nationwide, then allowing them a pass is remarkeable.

Why can't they just deal with the nub of the issue rather than collapse the retail sector? It's mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

gmisk wrote: »
    I didn't see huge celebrations, marches etc linked to many football or rugby matches the past few weeks though did you?
    I did see plenty of GAA ones...which were also linked to serious outbreaks.

Are we ignoring the fact it was outside gaa ground these happened .... and when it happened inside ... what did the gaa do ?? CANCELLED ALL CLUB GAMES with immediate effect.

Are we ignoring it's actually NPHET ( the public health experts who are beyond reproach) have said its grand lads continue the gaa.

The people who took the piss "celebrating" a county title or whatever bs they did.. would have found a way be it pubs house parties or drinking in a park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

What about Rugby, Horse Racing, LOI etc?

It should have all been stopped.if we have to stay home and obey another lockdown so should they.
    It should be across the board or as the paddywhackers say “we are all in this together”.
    Yesterday was a farce.

There shouldnt be too many celebrations as long as Kerry dont win the hurling All Ireland and Kilkenny dont win the football All Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

What happens between 23:29 and 00:00?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

If i book a hotel from Wednesday night through to Monday, will i be okay, can we still use hotel facilities, bar open etc?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭growleaves

Hold firm Fungie.

We're sending the Navy to come get you buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

If i book a hotel from Wednesday night through to Monday, will i be okay, can we still use hotel facilities, bar open etc?

Thanks in advance

You should be I think. Unless the hotel has decided that staying open for just "existing guests" and essential travellers is not worth it. They might not want to take on a tiny amount of new bookings and keep the hotel open.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

xabi wrote: »
    What happens between 23:29 and 00:00?

A purge, you can do whatever the **** you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

6 weeks.....? Does it really need to be six weeks?

I loved how MM, said 'just 6 weeks'

That is a hell of a long time to live under such draconian measures.
    NPHET are looking at this with a medium-term view of rolling lockdowns.

A three week lockdown would buy us (say) 4-5 weeks before we have to lock down again. A six week lockdown will buy us 8-10 weeks.

That's NPHET's aim. The "living with COVID" thing is not part of their strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Akabusi

The creche asked this morning if my eldest will be attending afterschool as they've heard there has been a positive case in his class. First I heard of it. Am I wrong in sending him, what are we to do, turn our lives upside down for every rumor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Varadkar and Martin couldn’t even get the fcukin basics of the lockdown right then,like what day does it start.
    Looking over at each other then the 2 gombeens.
    A fcukin jokeshop of a setup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭prunudo

babyboom wrote: »
    I don't get why people can't see the logic in shutting non essential retail. My daughter works in a shopping centre. It has been packed for at least the last month or more. People out for a day browsing, bringing their kids and letting them run amok in shops. She works in a book shop and she's had customers come in, browse with no intention of buying and then leave their empty coffee cups on top of the books. If she confronts them she gets abuse. There are far too many people who have just returned to normal. I find it very strange that we are in this (hopefully) once in a lifetime pandemic but people are determined to behave as if life is normal.

It really shows the lack of thought by many in society, so many buisnesses and workers on the brink and all they care about is their skinny latte.
    Probably same people will be giving out about the new restrictions without realise the effects of their own behaviours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Thanks in advance

It's supposed to be for essential reasons only, no?

We have 2 nights this weekend in clayton hotel, cardiff lane but now have absolutely no idea if they're going to allow us to check in or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement