Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Watched the trailer for the next few episodes
    Good news, Q makes an appearance! Bad news, from the brief clip sounds like a generic sounding voice and not John DeLancie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Stark wrote: »
    Watched the trailer for the next few episodes

It is the actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

FutureGuy wrote: »
    It is the actor.

Fcuking A1, boom yeah!!!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I really liked episode 5. Marineer was tinned down but still a little annoying on parts. I loved the Vancover it looked like a proper 24th century Starfleetship. The Cerritos is not bad just a bit simpler and not the best or most exciting design. It's a bit like a Dacia. The Vancover is a 6 series BMW compared to the Cerritos. Overall do a very good episode. Enjoyed seeing DS9 and hearing the Enterprise been mentioned in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Six was a bit darker than expected. But I firmly believe Badgey is the greatest character in all of Trekdom, and warrants a spin off series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Really enjoyed 6. Just nice to have some episodic and 24th century Trek :). Getting decent chuckles out of this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

6: Badgy! :eek:

Slydice wrote: »
    6: Badgy! :eek:

Should be ships Captain

Ms

Really enjoyed that episode. Proper laughs in it. Definitly the best episode yet. Loved the way they named another ship too. Could say but do not want to spoil it on anyone. Fletcher was a bit bat crazy do. The security chief guy is gas. Loved the way this episode ended and that other ship that is Canon getting mentioned.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Rawr

Spear wrote: »
    Six was a bit darker than expected. But I firmly believe Badgey is the greatest character in all of Trekdom, and warrants a spin off series.

Just watched 6, and yes...I think you could launch a whole series of horror movies based on Badgey alone....and I would watch them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Liked how they listed so many uses of the holodeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea 6 was another good episode (two in row) and the key change is the "calming down" of Mariner and the "zaniness" generally I think. The show is all the better for it. Badgey was great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Sorry, is this streaming anywhere over here? I am sure it is mentioned earlier on the thread, but I have gone back a few pages and I am just going to spoil things for myself if I keep doing that.

I love pretty much all trek. Enjoy Rick and Morty, I just can't get my head around where they intersect...

eldamo wrote: »
    Sorry, is this streaming anywhere over here? I am sure it is mentioned earlier on the thread, but I have gone back a few pages and I am just going to spoil things for myself if I keep doing that.

I love pretty much all trek. Enjoy Rick and Morty, I just can't get my head around where they intersect...

Nope.. no international distributor at present, but it's readily available in the "usual places"

Yarr! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Nope.. no international distributor at present, but it's readily available in the "usual places"

Cool was just confirming!

i will probably be too lazy and wait for it to turn up on e4 or something.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I thought I saw October 16th or something for Netflix/prime. I'll do some checking...

Edit: cannot find it, could be mixing it up with Discovery 3.

Latest episode,
    that reference to Voyager Threshold, absolutely brilliant!!! LMAO

Looks like Starfleet tried it again, and closes that plot hole!

That was brilliant :D

Liked that episode a lot.

Absolutely love this show. The writers "get" Star Trek which can't be said for much of what we have seen for the last 15 years or so.

Yes, sometimes the humour could be dialled down at times but the A and B plots (which are reversed compared to TNG) are quintessential Trek.

Fantastic references to other shows too.

I havent bought a series on bluray ever but I will get this to show support.

• Advertisement

That was fun :)

7: I liked that. Was glad the
    farm turned out to exist
    . Really liked the nod to Chain of Command

There has been more character development in a handful of short episodes than entire seasons of Discovery.
    That's depressing

There has been more character development in a handful of short episodes than entire seasons of Discovery.
    That's depressing

Was just thinking about that and you're right. I know more about the Lower Decks crew than the entire Discovery Bridge crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Did get a lol out of the latest episode. The Pike chairs with the Bikini and the shirts!

Ms

I was dissapointed with this episode. I think it was because episode 6 was so good. If this had come before 6 ok. It was good just not as good as the episodes before it. I do not think well trained Starfleet officers would be so incompetent that them things would happen either. Yes on strange new Worlds with new aliens things could go wrong and officers might get hurt or injured but not like they were suggesting. Still I thought that part with the other ship was good and why it was like that etc.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

That's depressing

They actually pulled off a decent bit of character development on Mariner. Now it makes a lot of sense that she knew more than the other lower decks officers.

It's clear that she used to be a lot more Starfleet than now, as suggested by that DS9 flashback. I am interested to see what drove her away from higher rank.

Loved the TAS reference there too :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With the generally positive feedback on this finally had a go with the first episode.

Knowing Mariner calms down later helped swallow the hyperactivity cos ye gods it was a bit much at times. Take a breath goddamnit. The tonal whiplash could be a bit much too as the sugar-rush comedy jarred with the very clear TNG era styling.

But the rest of the episode was enjoyable, can't deny. The gags weren't particularly gut busting but got a few smiles from me. Which for a comedy pilot is good going in my experience.

So yeah, I'll keep going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

pixelburp wrote: »
    With the generally positive feedback on this finally had a go with the first episode.

Knowing Mariner calms down later helped swallow the hyperactivity cos ye gods it was a bit much at times. Take a breath goddamnit. The tonal whiplash could be a bit much too as the sugar-rush comedy jarred with the very clear TNG era styling.

But the rest of the episode was enjoyable, can't deny. The gags weren't particularly gut busting but got a few smiles from me. Which for a comedy pilot is good going in my experience.

So yeah, I'll keep going.

It can be tough getting over the fact that the main protagonist is so unlikeable.

This is certainly unprecedented in any recent Star Trek series. Ahem.

(Edit: but joking aside, I'm definitely inclined to give this show a fair shake. Hit and miss so far but the hits are great fun)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I didn't find Mariner unlikeable, just ludicruously breathless. She spoke like a YouTube star for adolescents. In actual fact, her character seemed quite interesting: there were clear hints towards all that outsized perfomative "no fúcks given" being a thin emotional shield. Given her parents' statsuses I'm guessing she ballsed up a career and is now trying deseprately to "own" her failure like a badge of honour. Thus projecting insecurity onto Boimler, a colleague openly enthusiastic about the very career path she (apparently) sabotaged. She can't let someone else enjoy what she lost.

It's just the delivery was like being hit with a blow-dryer of dialogue. The above is just me spitballing of course, so who knows how it tracks against later actual episodes.

Typing it out though, it's funny how the above reads 10x more interesting as characterisation than we get in Discovery - but that's one of the key advantages of Comedy IMO. The genre often gleefully mines from a point of insecurity; laughs got from peoples' foibles or hang-ups while at the same time affording genuine growth when the laughs are paused. It's not without reason the best sitcoms and comedies are the ones that also had the best or more insightful character developments. To me, comedy is the ultimate fiction because it can reveal a lot through ostensibly superficial laughs at characters' expense. Laughing in the face of adversity.

Dramatic fiction doesn't have that crutch to fall on, and can only go at one relative speed. Serioues faces only please. So it's way too easy to slip into melodrama 'cos the tonal range afforded to the writers is much smaller. And when the writers aren't particularly fantastic either, Discovery yields these Big Emotional Moments that have no context, or the catharctic release of a well-timed fart :D

pixelburp wrote:
    It's just the delivery was like being hit with a blow-dryer of dialogue. The above is just me spitballing of course, so who knows how it tracks against later actual episodes.

You're pretty much spot on.

• Advertisement

They could cancel all other Trek now and I'd be happy just to watch this.

Episode 8, good stuff again.

Episodic. Good-natured. Good fun.

I like it :)

The Senior crew were almost competent here!!

8: That was fun! Each part kept having so many moments that won me over. Even the little things like the off-hand
    Romulan
    remarks about the
    Remans

Ms

That was an alright episode. I thought the doctor getting lost while stupid was funny. Nice to see another ship design in the background as well. I had to laugh when the Captain asked Marineer to warn to Aliens and then what she done lol. Still might have added a bit to that myself by including maybe the tactical officer not been happy maybe about it. I loved the bit with cleaner lol. The Romulan war Birds were nice to see if a bit silly. A few nice little nods to TNG in it again too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That was good fun. Some genuine laughs. Great seeing Q back, even if it was brief.

Stop, I'm picking up Scanning! :D:D

Gorn wedding?!!

:D

Some good jokes, not as strong a plot as some earlier episodes...but alright really. All-in-all, with only 2 episodes left they are doing well with this show. Would certainly return for a second season, and I'm actually hoping for one.

Watched episode 2 and yeah, slowly slowly Mariner not annoying'y. The worldly head teaching the bookish newb is a very old cliché but it's being carried off with a degree of skill.

And one thing animation can do that live action Trek simply will never achieve is scale and the exotic. In two episodes I've seen more overtly alien creatures than the entirety of the franchise thus far. Crazy stuff. Only Saru comes close (Quark and Odo to a lesser extent)

My only complaint so far is that it's not that funny in places. Or as funny as it thinks it is. Lots of wry chuckles but nothing majorly hilarious.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Watched episode 2 and yeah, slowly slowly Mariner not annoying'y.

Took me longer than two episodes not to hate the character but yeah, it gets better. Last two or three episodes have been much more of an ensemble.

I'm really sad there's only 2 more episodes this season.

• Advertisement

It's definitely improved as the season has progressed, but I can't say I find it particularly funny to be honest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've watched four episodes - Does Mariner get any less bloody annoying? Her hyperactivity and "always right" approach makes her like a manic version of Burnham. She's almost ruining the show for us.

Unlike some other annoying Star Trek characters, Mariner shows character development as the show progresses. I've found her quite likeable in the more recent episodes with a lot of potential for more development. Reminds me a bit of Julian Bashir who was insufferable when first introduced but grew to be more likeable as the series progressed.

Stark wrote: »
    Unlike some other annoying Star Trek characters, Mariner shows character development as the show progresses. I've found her quite likeable in the more recent episodes with a lot of potential for more development. Reminds me a bit of Julian Bashir who was insufferable when first introduced but grew to be more likeable as the series progressed.

Yeah, early Bashir was a sleaze bag. Took Miles O'brien a couple of seasons to set him right!

Yeah, early Bashir was a sleaze bag. Took Miles O'brien a couple of seasons to set him right!

https://www.facebook.com/doyletrek/photos/a.669746649898043/677770815762293/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I really liked episode 9. There's plenty of valid satire of past Trek movies, and references to small details without being just heavy handed name dropping, and there's even continued character development by Mariner.

BRILLIANT episode 9. Loved it :D

Mariner's character is actually developing in interesting ways, and the send-up of the movies was great. "I may be getting on in years but I've not forgotten how to jet-ski" - or whatever the line was - genuine LOL.

And the over-long shuttle to the ship in space dock. Really well done.

Top marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Loved the way they even sent-up the score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

I've been enjoying this immensely after being highly skeptical before it came out. I thought episode 9 was fantastic. The movie animation was great, lens flare and all :lol: Would love to see a couple of cameos in future seasons for world building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

The dirt specks like on old film was a great touch, hardly noticeable but just catches to eye every now and then. Great episode in what has been a very good first season overall.

Advertisement