Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

The Last oracle by James Rollins

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Anna Karenin by Tolstoy.............I'm liking it better than War and Peace...

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

read my sisters keeper... i cried :o
    Its sooo sad!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭beng128

I am reading Trainspotting at the moment........ and i am never going to go near heroin ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever.

But what a writer Irvine Whelsh is.

I also read this summer:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
    The Secrets of Andorra's box by Ross O Carrol Kelly
    Love All The People by Bill Hicks

All great but i needed the Ross O Carrol Kelly for a break from such heavy books.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

this summer i've read:
    Submarine
    Mr. Toppit
    Playing with the Grown-Ups by Sophie Dahl
    The Beatles in America
    Girls in their Married Bliss by Edna O' Brien
    just finished PS I Scored the Bridesmaids by Ross O' Carroll- Kelly

now i'm reading Wuthering Heights (for the millionth time!)

aw cathy and heathcliff! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gumballz

I am a bookaholic 10.gif and when i'm at home im hardly ever not reading.
    Recently i've just finished the knoughts and crosses series and both books by Ruth Gilligan. Good reads if i do say so myself.
    Now i'm re-reading my novel for the leaving cert - Girl with a pearl earring, could be worse.

I am a bookaholic too. I read books almost all the time.
    But, most of the books are inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

barack obama- the audacity of hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I really haven't been able to get back into books since the Leaving Cert. I've only finished two so far this summer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Futurism wrote: »
    I really haven't been able to get back into books since the Leaving Cert. I've only finished two so far this summer :(

Same. All through 6th year I was yearning for a bit of reading time; this summer, I've only read a handful of books. I bought a Cormac McCarthy last week and haven't even opened it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

the help by kathryn stockett

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Inkivaari

I've actually been bitten by the bug this summer,

"Twilight",
    "New Moon",
    "Eclipse",
    "Breaking Dawn", all by Stephenie Meyer,
    "Pride And Prejudice" By Jane Austen,
    "Grimms Fairytales" by The Brothers Grimm

"Zen in the Art of Archery" By Eugen Herrigel, which is gonna take another two or three reads, its heavy going!
    "The Fundamentals Of Recurve Target Archery" By Ruth Bowe,
    "Zen In The Sporting Zone"
    "Archery, The Art Of Repetition" By Simon S Needham,

And I'm gonna re-read "On The Edge, My Story" Richard Hammonds autobiography. It was a great read.

Can anyone point me to a good bio ar autobio for afterwards please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

At the mo I'm reading Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman... I'm always reading some book... I've very similar taste to my Mom so I read all her old books... Is it unusual for a 15 (since the 20th of august:D) to read books of this genre...? I've been reading them since primary...

I'm really into detective/murder novels... Anything by Jonathan Kellerman (featuring Alex Delaware),Anything by Jefferie Deaver (ft. Lincorn Rhyme), Anything by Michael Connelly (ft. either Harry Bosch, Jack McEvoy or Rachel Walling) and anything by James Patterson (ft. Alex Cross)...

Can't go wrong with any of them if anyone is looking for a read...!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I'm nearly finished 1984 by George Orwell...it's really really good.

Next up:

Mrs. Dalloway-Virginia Woolf
    Wuthering Heights- Emily Brontë

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cGirl

Inkivaari wrote: »
    "Twilight",
    "New Moon",
    "Eclipse",
    "Breaking Dawn", all by Stephenie Meyer,
    I'm fairly sure these don't actually count as books. That's way too flattering a title for them.

I've read a fair bit of fantasy this summer. I reread all of Harry Potter, The Wheel of Time series a little bit...I really can't remember, but I haven't read a good book in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I have nothing to do all day so I have absolutely no excuse not to get stuck into Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

I've read alot this summer. I just finished 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' and before that 'The Kite Runner' both by Khaled Hosseini. I would really recommend both books. I'm trying to finish 'Questions and Answers'. Would people recommend 'The Da Vinci Code'? I have it ages and I still haven't read it and I've never seen the film. Is it good? Confusing?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I really enjoyed The Da Vinci Code, but when I went to read it a second time I gave up after a few pages. If you do read it, you'll probably be finished within a few hours.

I'm halfway through The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy in four parts, have to get back into that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

An File wrote: »
    I'm halfway through The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy in four parts, have to get back into that...
    There's actually 5 parts, they just never seemed to stop referring to it as that for some reason.

There will soon be a 6th, written by Eoin Colfer, the only review I've seen of it said it's just "not funny". So not sure if anyone will bother with it or whether theey'll just ignore it and send him hate mail for the rest of his life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Just finished Sophies World. The story was a load of shite but the philosophy parts were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Im reading a book called The Road To Memphis,Its about racial tensions in 40s Missisipi.I love books set in or about the deep south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've been trying to re-read Wheel Of Time all summer but it's not going well. I finished the 7th one a few weeks ago and I've been putting off starting the 8th. They're just so long!

Might take a trip to the library this week and start something else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Still reading The Beach, read a good hundred pages today, getting really really good.

Have some silly number of books lined up, pity all I'll get to read about is calculus and Newtonian Mechanics in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Still readin The Great War For Civilisation (been readin it since April).... Tis Brilliant tho.

Wil prob pick up Pity The Nation when I finish the other book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm reading Harry Potter 1-7. Oh yeah :cool:

I'm gonna finish American Psycho afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Started The Stone Monkey last night... Jeffery Deaver...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Currently reading the worlds 20 worst crimes. Its all about serial killers, really interesting!

The host is next in line :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

The Host , Stephanie Meyer ( terrible book )
    Gone Tomorrow , Lee Child
    No second chance , Harlan Coben
    The Bourne Sanction , Eric Van Lustbader
    A Good Day to Die , Simon Kernick
    Star Wars : Old republic Rule of Two
    The Unwanted , Brett Battles

average about a book a week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

The Republic - Plato

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'd been meaning to get stuck into the second half of A Prayer For Owen Meany last week,but I've only read 3 pages or so since then =/
    I have to read King Lear for English,can't wait to. Maybe then I can finish APFOM.

Advertisement