Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

currently read 'a hepatitis c handbook' by matthew dolan.

heavy ****, but ridiculously informative and useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

American Psycho-no one smilie can express my feelings towards this boo so I'm going to go with :p and :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I've started that book 3 times but can never finish it.

Not sure if it's all the horrible horrible gore or the tediously detailed fashion observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

American Psycho-no one smilie can express my feelings towards this boo so I'm going to go with :p and :eek:.

Amazing book, read it last year, really brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Piste wrote: »
    I'm reading Jane Eyre at the moment. I'm going through a bit of a Victorian Chic-Lit stage. The last two books I read were Wuthering Heights (beautiful, beautiful book) and Pride and Prejudice.

I studied Jane Eyre for college but never got round to finishing it... Just not my kinda book, its very well-written though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

A short history of nearly everything-Bill Bryson.
    Its heavy going at times but absolutely fascinating!

Ye im reading that too..got bored at the start but then I had exams coming at the same time so it might have been that..but I have to say its a good 'little' book plus its necessary for what im studying!Lots of cool bits of history..Did you notice how unfortunate all the scientists seemed to be?:p

After that I think im going to re-read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King..Too poor to pick a new read up:(..

That Bill Bryson is one of my all-time favourites. Mind blowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Can anyone recommend a good book to me? I'm at a complete loss. I'm all blocked up (in the writing sense) and I need ~creative inspiration so that I don't crawl into a ball and cry. Anyway,I've just finished reading Company magazine. Uh-huh. It's that bad. I do like magazines,but it's been so long since I've read a proper book. I haven't gotten into one in so long. The Leaving Cert/LC induced guilt/LC related regret haven't helped. So if anyone can,I'd be incredibly grateful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

My friend gave me a Cecelia Ahern book "Where Rainbows End".

It's absolute RUBBISH, I never ever read crap like that, yet I'm still almost finished. That's how bored I am.

It's written as like, letters and notes between these 2 friends and related parties. It's like, a big book of bebo stalking. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

bythewoods wrote: »
    Cecelia Ahern

That's where you went wrong right there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

banjopaul wrote: »
    That's where you went wrong right there!

Couldn't agree more! Have no time for her, she's such an awful writer.

But I'm so god-damn bored I'm, reading it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I Tried to read "To Kill a Mockingbird" before school ruined it for me by memorising qoutes and essays, but I just couldn't get into it. By page 90 something I was at a loss because I felt like she was describing her habits and routine to me, I was like wtf where's the story? :eek:

Ah well, far be it for me to slate a novel that's a "classic". :p

I might attemtp reading James Joyce's "Ulysses" :eek:

I might attemtp reading James Joyce's "Ulysses" :eek:

Best of luck with that one; you'll need all the luck, persistence and stamina you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Best of luck with that one; you'll need all the luck, persistence and stamina you can get.

Yeah, I want to read it this summer too, I'm just so intimidated...:o

aine-maire wrote: »
    Yeah, I want to read it this summer too, I'm just so intimidated...:o

I'd recommend reading The Odyssey first (if you haven't already): it'll give you a better background for when you go to read Ulysses (as it's loosely a modern interpretation of The Odyssey). Also, pick up a guide for it, I used this one: http://www.amazon.com/New-Bloomsday-Book-Through-Ulysses/dp/0415138582/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c. 'tis a tough read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Ok, thanks Jammy Dodger! :)

Starting Sophie's World at last - it's been on my to-do list for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm reading Freakonomics. I love reading! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

just finished "goodnight beautiful" really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I LOVE Bret Easton-Ellis. Currently re-reading The Rules of Attraction for the millionth time - Patrick Bateman's brother is in it :P

Just finished Angels and Demons there a few days ago. I absolutely HATE the way Dan Brown writes.. like the plots are clever, fair enough, but all of his books (by 'all', I mean the da Vinci Code and A & D) read like damn Mills and Boon 'novels'!

The Shadow of the Wind is one I'm gonna be re-reading soon as well, must find more books by the guy who wrote it actually.. *makes mental note*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

the kite runner - khaled hosseini

then maybe a thousand splendid suns - khaled hosseini

maybe a harry potter book or cecelia ahearn book

anyone try reading the reapers by john connelly?? i tried but i couldnt get into it at all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

The only books I have ever read have been the Lord of the Rings and ones on the school curriculem. So I have decided that between now and the end of summer, I want to read ten books.

I am starting with either "1984" by George Orwell or "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.

Are there any other good books to start with for a more or less first time reader?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

TheManWho wrote: »
    The only books I have ever read have been the Lord of the Rings and ones on the school curriculem. So I have decided that between now and the end of summer, I want to read ten books.

I am starting with either "1984" by George Orwell or "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.

Are there any other good books to start with for a more or less first time reader?
    The Hungry Caterpillar:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Do not start with 1984

The Hungry Caterpillar:pac:

I have ordered a guide off amazon for that book because I don't want to jump straight in. Although I thing it would be important to start small with mabey Ulysses and some Dostoyevsky before I even attempt The Hungry Caterpillar. Also when I do take that leap of faith, I would like to have the sequel "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" lined up right after so I don't lose any momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I read Cross Country the New Alex Cross book by James Patterson and it deserves to be burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Reading the Wheel of Time series... for the second time... Im rereading my library at this stage, read LOTR 4 times now :/

phasers wrote: »
    Do not start with 1984

Care to elaborate?

If you're just getting into reading, I'd recommend starting with novellas. They'll give you tastes of the styles of various authors, and you won't burn up too much time in reading them. My favourite author is Tolstoy, and he has about 40 short stories, so lots to get through there. Steinbeck has some brilliant short stories, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I Tried to read "To Kill a Mockingbird" before school ruined it for me by memorising qoutes and essays, but I just couldn't get into it. By page 90 something I was at a loss because I felt like she was describing her habits and routine to me, I was like wtf where's the story? :eek:

I'm glad I was made read it in school as it's now one of my favourite books.

Advertisement