Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

I've just started reading Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter. Seems pretty interesting so far. It's definitely a book I'm going to read slowly, anyway (I'm also reading short stories by Tolstoy every now and then between chapters of other books).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

My wife says The Historian is a really good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Historian-Elizabeth-Kostova/dp/0316011770

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've started reading Bleak House. It's the first Dickens novel I've ever started. It took me about ahalf an hour to get through 6 pages. :(
    I'm gonna stick it out though, even if it bores the arse off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

I've started reading Bleak House. It's the first Dickens novel I've ever started. It took me about ahalf an hour to get through 6 pages. :(
    I'm gonna stick it out though, even if it bores the arse off me.

Good, its worth it, its not easy to read but worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm considering reading Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. Has anyone read it? (:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Ive just started reading 'not without my sister' by some 3 sisters? Its alright so far... Its supposed to be the sunday times bestseller so it will probably get better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I'm also reading - too much period drama, not enough zombies.

The addition of ninjas was nice. Pity dear Elizabeth kept killing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Started reading War And Peace.

Monzo wrote: »
    Started reading War And Peace.

I finished that about two months ago. It's a damn good book.

What translation are you reading if you don't mind my asking? The translation that you read plays a huge role...

After reading passages from half a dozen translations, I'd recommend the Louise and Aylmer Maude one (it was approved by Tolstoy himself).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

1984 is doubleplusgood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Wow oh wow.

All of the Harry Potter books are now €1.99 each in Easons:D

Currently rereading.............:)

I finished that about two months ago. It's a damn good book.

What translation are you reading if you don't mind my asking? The translation that you read plays a huge role...

After reading passages from half a dozen translations, I'd recommend the Louise and Aylmer Maude one (it was approved by Tolstoy himself).

Rosemary Edmonds... It's readable so far anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

On Writing by Stephen King.
    I love him. A lot.
    His contempt for the Meyer makes him even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I'm reading the client by John Grisham.I am not very far into it but it seems like a good book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nima101

im reading 'breaking dawn' part of the twilight saga.If you havnt already read them then you should.It doesnt matter what age you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I'm readin 3 books at the moment:

The Great War for Civilisation... Robert Fisk... Graet book

50 Dead Men Walkin...Dunno... It was made into a film.... It was really good (the book).

New Ross o' Carrol Kelly one... Dunno... Decent enuf funny in some places but jus started it so...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Just finished "Lock and Key" by Sarah Dessen. I like her writing style and she's easy to read when you're wrecked.

Just starting "Are You Experienced?" by William Sutcliffe. It's kind of a cult book and it's good so far.

I read "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "Summer Crossings" by Truman Capote lately. Both really good but not very uplifting if you need something to cheer you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Right now I'm reading, The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

I like it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

Just finished reading The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It's the follow up to Shadow of the Wind which was amazingly good. Was a bit disappointed. His language and prose is lovely,like the las book, but the plot was a bit disjointed and the ending was v.poor and left a lot of unanswered questions...which i don't like:mad:

Reading 50 Mathamatical Ideas by Tony Crilly which is actually pretty good for any1 who isn't great wit maths concepts...like me! Explains all the famous theoroms really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

This summer I read:

1. A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
    A good book but not as ground breaking for me as I imagine it would be for otehrs because I knew a good bit about science etc. already. Still a worthwhile read, though I was bored by some bits.

2. Brooklyn - Colm Tóibín
    A short, interesting story about a girl who leaves Ireland for Brooklyn in the 1950s. Explores interesting themes of love and loss, but nothing spectacular.

3. Watership Down - Richard Adams
    A great book. Engaging from the word go until the fantastic ending. It's a story about rabbits leaving their warren and becomes a voyage of discovery etc. Sounds mundane but very engaging!

4. The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevesky
    If you're willing to devote time and to concentrate it's very rewarding! A big book. so don't pick it up with the intention of light treading. Contains some excellent psychology that was ahead of its time, engaging and intricate plot tied into various sub-plots, and the plot just thickens until the very end. An excellent read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Confessions of a shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella! And Genesis by Karin Slaughter She's a class crime writer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I am a bookaholic :D and when i'm at home im hardly ever not reading.
    Recently i've just finished the knoughts and crosses series and both books by Ruth Gilligan. Good reads if i do say so myself.
    Now i'm re-reading my novel for the leaving cert - Girl with a pearl earring, could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am a bookaholic :D and when i'm at home im hardly ever not reading.
    Recently i've just finished the knoughts and crosses series and both books by Ruth Gilligan. Good reads if i do say so myself.
    Now i'm re-reading my novel for the leaving cert - Girl with a pearl earring, could be worse.

Both of her three? Sorry that was a bit unfair, the other one was only released like a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

She has a third? Got to get myself to the book shop then.
    Thanks i didn't know that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭c_dog

salems lot by stephen king..... recommened to anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 'tis quite good.
    Trainspotting after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Reading 'Stalins Children' now. Decent read, but quite harrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sharondingle

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - a great book, full of insight into life in Nigeria/Biafra as well as a cracking good story

James Ellroy - The Black Dahlia.

War And Peace was epic (well, everything except the epilogue).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Symposium, and The Trial and Death of Socrates by Plato.

Advertisement