Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Teutorix wrote: »
    i am reading your post :rolleyes:

YOu got in before me. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I just finished Into The Wild. It's an incredible book, inspirational.
    I want to start reading the discworld series now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Charles Bukowski - Ham on Rye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

My Sister's Keeper for school purposes, seems alright so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. Read it before, a couple of years ago. Love it. It's a big'un, so I'll be chipping away at it for a month or two I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Namlub wrote: »

Started reading that, got bored after a few chapters. I didn't make much of an effort with it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Just finished The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks-really original book, very good read, a kind of modern gothic horror with sci-fi sensibilities :D a bit graphic though in terms of violence, and distinctly creepy. Excellent story though, and some of the prose is amazing (I was underlining like a mad thing, arts degrees will turn you a bit weird). Still haven't made my mind up about the ending yet, but I hightly reccommend it. Last non-college related bit of fiction I'll be reading for a while, nice to end on a high note! Best present ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

"The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant". Brilliant series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

"The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant". Brilliant series.

Yep. Read those series years ago and thought they were excellent. A kind of adult LOTR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

"It" by Stephen King, for the halloween spirit. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭msbrightside

Namlub wrote: »

My Sister's Keeper for my own purposes.it's ok, i'm not the best at science so i was abit confused at the beginning with all the talk of granocytes and etc. but it's getting good now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I took out two books from the library at college this week for some light reading:
    One is called Gray's Anatomy for Students.
    The other is called Spacetime Physics, and is about special relativity.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

I just picked up "Let The Right One In". I enjoyed the film so when I saw the book decided to buy it. Should be interesting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I just picked up "Let The Right One In". I enjoyed the film so when I saw the book decided to buy it. Should be interesting :)

I'll be interested to see how the book is actually, the film was amazing.
    Apparently it came out roughly around the same time as those twilight books..hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

George Orwells, Nineteen Eighty Four.
    Everyone says its a great read so actually found a copy for sale, and am now going to read it.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

It's excellent. The clocks were striking 13...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    George Orwells, Nineteen Eighty Four.
    Everyone says its a great read so actually found a copy for sale, and am now going to read it.
    Tried to read that once, got so bored I had to stop, same with a few other books everyone loves, like Trainspotting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Nineteen Eighty Four is on of the greatest books I have ever read, captivated me from the start.

Can understand the problem with Trainspotting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Vagante

Reading the sacred Scripture by Sebastian Barry-brilliant read if a little depressing

1984 (don't know why people feel the need to spell it out), is indeed captivating, but it gets very heavy, and the ending
    SPOILER SPOILER LA LA LA
    is so depressing, I mean, you know he can't win, but you want him to so bad, and then he becomes just like all the other idiots. The war on the TV is the perfect metaphor for the battle going on in his mind.

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    1984 (don't know why people feel the need to spell it out), is indeed captivating, but it gets very heavy, and the ending
    SPOILER SPOILER LA LA LA
    is so depressing, I mean, you know he can't win, but you want him to so bad, and then he becomes just like all the other idiots. The war on the TV is the perfect metaphor for the battle going on in his mind.

I call it that because that is the name of the book:) Or anyway, the one I got says the full thing anyway:):D

And this is my one, damn these publishers confusing the fans!

shepard_fairey_george_orwell_1984.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MPW

Barack Obama - Dreams from my Father.

Pretty good read so far, very interesting.

Figure sounds too much like a clergyman, everything is a lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The Human Stain by Philip Roth. Incredibly well written, some passages are nothing short of masterful. Really, really interesting novel. Nearly at the end unfortunately.

Going to move on to his most well known novel American Pastoral next. Can't wait.

I plan on spending the next few months reading Roth and then moving on to Updike, just to compare and contrast and try and decide which one really is the greater writer. Damn college work (partying) getting in the way though!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    And this is my one, damn these publishers confusing the fans!

shepard_fairey_george_orwell_1984.jpg

Those Baxtards! This is my one
    !BbjmhGQBGk~$(KGrHqQOKkIEq4-9HQ!UBKwkmS4dJw~~_35.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

When I read it the copy I had had it spelled out aswell. I always thought it was "Nineteen Eighty-Four" and not "1984".

Orwell_%20nineteen%20eighty%20four(1)%231%23.jpg

I guess it really doesn't matter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

soul destroying at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I'm reading a rather odd one:The Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkein

nearly finished,but wow.this guy had a world of his own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

soul destroying at the end
    WINSTON

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

Vagante wrote: »
    Reading the sacred Scripture by Sebastian Barry-brilliant read if a little depressing

Just finished that, it was amazing. It's not the kind of book I'd usually read but I loved it.

I'm rereading Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer cos I have nothing else and no time to go to the library :( It's great though.

Advertisement