Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

WINSTON

DO IT TO JULIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Piste wrote: »
    Just finished reading the last Harry Potter book, now I have nothing to read :( Normally I borrow my sisters books but lately she has nothing but sci-fi and fantasy* ****e in her room!

*****e fantasy, not cool like Harry Potter.
    I'd recommend lemony snicketts series of unfortunate events :)

Currentyl reading dark winter- Andy McNab

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I bought Othello today. I'm really looking forward to that. I also got Romeo and Juliet out of the library. I'm also looking forward to reading that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Ah yes, A Series Of Unfortunate Events was a good read.

I'm reading The Great Gatsby at the mo':)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Just finished "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. Decent read. Enjoyable. Captivating. Hard to put down. Read it pretty quickly. 4-5 days me thinks!

Now reading "Persuader" by Lee Child. Decent book so far. Only reading it for the last two nights but on page 117 already!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I should be reading The Playboy of the Western World over my five day weekend,but I left it in school.
    Something else will have to do,so I'm thinking of re-reading Macbeth,even if it screws me over :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I have to write an essay on a book that "explores the human condition" in some medically-related way... I'm thinking One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which I've read, or The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, which I've always wanted to read. A hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I have to write an essay on a book that "explores the human condition" in some medically-related way... I'm thinking One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which I've read, or The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, which I've always wanted to read. A hmm.

I'd reccomend the Diving Bell and the butterfly. I didnt read the book, but the film was AMAZING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

phlegms wrote: »
    I'd reccomend the Diving Bell and the butterfly. I didnt read the book, but the film was AMAZING.

He's right, you can probably wax philosophical a little bit more with The Diving Bell too, which is handy in case you need to fill space/feel adventurous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I'm reading nobody heard me cry...fantastic book. A bit depressing but I still really like it (I've got really strange tastes in books!):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

You don't have to read a book for that project you Neurotic mess.
    I'm going to review a painting. Why? A single glance, innit?

I'm currently reading "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre... buy it. So good.
    I've got a huge book voucher to waste, been going bookshopping a lot lately.

bythewoods wrote: »
    You don't have to read a book for that project you Neurotic mess.
    I'm going to review a painting. Why? A single glance, innit?

I'm currently reading "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre... buy it. So good.
    I've got a huge book voucher to waste, been going bookshopping a lot lately.
    I want to write an essay on a book that "explores the human condition" in some medically-related way... I'm thinking One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which I've read, or The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, which I've always wanted to read. A hmm.

FMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Has anyone read any of the HP Lovercraft books?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Has anyone read any of the HP Lovercraft books?

I have the collection with The Call of Cthullu in it. It is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Fad wrote: »
    I have the collection with The Call of Cthullu in it. It is good!
    Yeah,they're the ones I'm interested in,I'll look out for em'...On a side note Frankie Boyles autobiography is rad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Yeah,they're the ones I'm interested in,I'll look out for em'...On a side note Frankie Boyles autobiography is rad.

Took me ages to find a copy, actually ended up buying mine in Birmingham!

(Other things bought that day Soul Music by Terry Pratchett, couldnt find it anywhere in Dublin, I was at a Terry Pratchett con at the time, and most of the Metallica back catalogue, barring St.Anger and The Black Album)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Heard great things about Anthony Kiedis' autobiography, so I ordered it online today. That'll keep me going for a while, I'm an immensely slow reader

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I have been reading loads of books lately most of them I already read but it's nice to drop back in to them now and again.

-My Sisters Keeper
    -Jane Eyre
    -Wuthering Heights
    -Where The Wild Things Are
    -Twilight Saga

I am going to go to the amazing bookstore at the weekend to stock up on their 3 euro classics :D Can't beat those prices!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

My Sister's Keeper actually turned out to be pretty darn good, am starting Atonement now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Namlub wrote: »
    My Sister's Keeper actually turned out to be pretty darn good, am starting Atonement now.

Ooh, Atonement. Me thinks you'll like page 84;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

/Skips from page 3 to page 84 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Under the dome by Stephen King. It's one of the most entertaining books I've ever read, heart is pounding nonstop while reading it. Steven Spielberg has apparently agreed to produce it being made into a tv show for HBO.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

SS hasn't made a good film/programme/anything in years. It's going to ruin your book. FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    SS hasn't made a good film/programme/anything in years. It's going to ruin your book. FACT.

I personally have enjoyed some of the recent projects he has produced: Letters from Iwo Jima, Munich, Catch me if you can, Minority Report.

He wouldn't be my favourite producer/director and not even close but it's good to know the production will have some big names behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Fad wrote: »
    ....... Metallica back catalogue, barring St.Anger and The Black Album)
    you fail at metallica unless you have this twice already.

I'm reading World War Z by max Brooks in e-book.Just finished the Zombie Survival guide,both really well written and logical considering their topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Heard great things about Anthony Kiedis' autobiography, so I ordered it online today. That'll keep me going for a while, I'm an immensely slow reader

Amazingly, this still hasn't arrived. Methinks a strongly worded letter needs to be sent.

So in the meantime, I bought this:

%7B83858DEC-BCA5-4661-9E72-1ACAF56BB7A2%7DImg100.jpg

I've only read about 1/5th of it so far, but I'm really enjoying it, which is something, coming from someone who never reads outside of school.

The part where he recollects the flight to the 1958 World Cup hit home particularly hard. He talks about being sat beside Bobby Charlton on the flight to Sweden, only a couple of months after the Munich Air Disaster. SBC was apparently shaking with the nerves and anxiety. God only knows what was running through his mind at the time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Just finished 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' and i'm now reading 'Through the Looking Glass'.

I needed some extremely light reading after Richards Dawkins 'The Selfish Gene'!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Finished "The Scarecrow" by Michael Connelly.

Starting "The Abyssinian Proof" tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman.

What a trilogy this has been thus far!

• Advertisement

Jako8 wrote: »
    The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman.

What a trilogy this has been thus far!

Wow, His Dark Materials was one of my very favourite series as a young'un. Haven't re-read in a couple of years; must get back to them. Also, you've just reminded me to check the status of the Book of Dust, the follow-up...
    wikipedia wrote:
    In an interview with the Oxford Mail at the premiere of The Golden Compass movie, Pullman suggested The Book of Dust could be released in 2009. The same article describes the book as a 'full-length novel' which contradicts earlier claims that it would be a collection of short stories.[9] In a more recent interview, with Oxford University student newspaper Cherwell, Pullman stated that the book would not be appearing in the near future, instead commenting that 'The appropriate adverb would be ‘eventually'. It's growing, but I'm encountering complexities that seem to be making it longer than I thought it would be.'

Dang.

Advertisement