Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Friday 30th: Session 3m Progression + 5x1min

With a storm brewing I wanted to get ahead of it and do the session on Friday - not ideal as I done one on Wednesday - but hey ho.

3m Warm up and set off on the progression.
    The main reason for doing this as a progression is that it would be a downhill'ish run - I knew I'd be out of daylight soon, so wanted to finish up on the Chapelizod Road for the 1min reps.
    The Tempo took me down the North Road - turn left at the Triangle and then down Chesterfield Ave.
    Splits were: 6.18 / 6.05 / 5.49

2 or 3 min light jog and onto the 5x1min - again - I wanted to do these progressive - but the 1st one was too fast at 5.06 pace.
    Next 4 went - 5.17 / 5.13 / 5.08 / 4.57

4mile uphill jog home.

Despite the tired legs - I felt very strong today - I even said to my wife afterwards, that I finally felt fit.

I could hear her eyes rolling.

11.6miles total

Sat: Short recovery run - it would have been too easy to take a rest day - a short run was needed to ensure the legs were ok for Sun long run.

3.2miles at 8.58 pace.

Sunday 1st November: Long run.

After last weeks long run failure - I was very conscious to get this one right.
    Loaded the podcasts and ran on a route that I know to be 14 miles from previous.

Just ran and listened to the chats - relaxed run - windy in a lot of places.

14 miles at 7.47 pace.

Happy enough with that week.
    53 miles in total (1 rest day) but 3 runs over 11 miles (2 of these were sessions) - not intentional - just how it worked out.

October finished with 232 miles - happy with that as Sept was only 112miles due to that niggle.

I'm kinda enjoying making it up as I go along - I'm doing decent sessions and I know I'm getting into decent shape, but without a race or goal on the horizon - it could be very easy to be too unstructured and end up either with fatigue or not the right balance of energy systems being tested.
    I fall back into my default - longer runs - somewhat like Marathon training - its what I like doing.
    Maybe I should mix in some 'structure' into this to account for what I avoid by default (faster reps / hills).

Was onto Johnny during the week - and we were sparking some thoughts off each other regarding the next 7 weeks - I might look at some structure for this and see about a TT in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I could hear her eyes rolling.

hahaha I can so relate to this :p

Monday: A few miles with a running buddy - helps pass the time.

7.3 miles @ 8.03

Tuesday: Pilates at lunch then another 7 mile recovery afterwards.

7.3m @ 8.27

Wednesday: Session: 2mTempo / 2x1km / 2x1m at 10km

I wasn't 100% sure what session I was going to do today - I had 3x10 mins in my mind - but would see how the legs were on the warm up and the 1st rep.
    I really need to be firmer in my plans and commit to a session at the start!!

Mile 1 of my warm up was 7.39 (that jus never happens) - I dont know if this was due to me feeling quite good or the fact I was wearing the 4% for the 1st time since God was a boy - By christ - they felt fantastic!!

So at this stage of the warm up I'm thinking of making the session a bit harder - throw in some faster reps. Lets see how the daylight is I said to myself.

So - I set off to do a 2m tempo as the 1st part and finished it in what I thought was 11.59.
    I was convinced that I had ran a 2m tempo. 100% convinced.

Until I seen a couple of days later that it was 10 mins. Not 100% what way my brain was working but hey ho.

With the 1st bit out of the way - and daylight fading - After a 2min recovery - I decided to do 2x1km on the Furze Road - the intention being that it would get me back on Chesterfield for the last part of the session.
    Felt very strong on these - 5.35 pace for both 1km reps.

Another 2min recovery and then done 2x1m at 5.50 pace (2 min rec).

So - overall - 5 miles of hard work under 6 min miles.

really enjoyed that session.

10.9miles total.

Thursday: 4mile recovery - up to Porterstown park - lap and a bit - and back.
    Really needed that.

4m at 8,38

Friday: Easy run + some strides.
    I need to get back to including strides in my plan.

6.15 miles

Saturday:
    Thinking of what I was avoiding and not including in my plan - I decided to do some hill work.
    I went back to one of Lukes tried & trusted 14x45 secs on the Khyber.

The recovery was set for 90 secs - but I ran them quicker - once I reached the bottom, I hit 'lap'.

1st 2 were a bit 'Oh My God' - these are tough.
    Next few were like 'actually - these are grand, I've a good rhythm going here'
    After 7 , I was thinking - just do 10 - 10 is a good number.
    As I got to 9, my Heart was beating so hard - 1 more.

Right, after the 10th - jogged back down and seen some runners approaching, couldn't quit now - recovered quite quickly and went again. Just 2 more.

Then on the 12th I gave myself a stern talking too - 'what, you are quitting now - 2 more to go - 90secs of hard work??'.

I completed all 14 :)

I did 'forget' how tough these are - I wont be doing very many of these, but will hope to throw in a few every now and then.
    Also going to do 2x(30/60/90/120) hill reps on the Khyber in the coming weeks

8miles total.

Sunday: out by 9 on my ownsome.
    just over 13 miles on a glorious day - down the Canal to Dalymount (cant spell phisboro :) ) and back up around the White Moose and into the Park.

Legs were tired, but I expected them to be worse.

13.4miles at 7.52

57 miles for the week.

This week will be a down week - I promised myself to take down weeks - but when training is going well, you tend to keep going.
    Main aim this week will be: to keep the mileage light - about 50 miles - maybe take 1 day off.
    2 Pilates classes
    2 sets of strides.
    Firm up on a plan for the coming weeks.

Just on a down week - my new Zoom Fly 3 arrived today - cant wait to do a session in them :)

Monday: Usual Monday run with Stephen - time flies!
    8.3m @ 7.55

Tuesday: Post Pilates recovery run - threw in 6x20sec strides at the end. Trying to keep strides progressive.
    Runnerbeans the pod of choice - I had listened to half of it the previous night walking the dog and was really taken by David McCartys interview - especially the planning piece. Seeds were sown.

4.2m

Wednesday: As this week is a down week for me - I wanted to do a longish run midweek - ran in the lashing of rain and really enjoyed it.

12miles @ 8.1 pace

Thursday: a pre pilates run - 5m with 8x20sec strides. Not going to lie - meant to do 6 - this counting thing cracks me up.

Friday: Another easy one - really managing the mileage - down to the PP and back.

5.2m at 7.59

Saturday: contemplated a rest day - but as I was bored silly I went out for a few miles.

4.8m @ 8.03

Sunday: was going to go out early, but thought - what's the point - probably should have as had a busy day afterwards - missed all the sport.

Done a loop to the PP and the War Memorial Gardens, back to the park and home.

The pace was quite good, I felt great until I turned and realised that there was a decent tailwind and I'd have the headwind all the way home!

finished up with 14.4 miles at 7.25 pace.
    I binge listened to 'Where is George Gibney' podcast running & also while walking the dog - Shocking stuff but brilliantly done.

Plans & Planning..........

this week, with the Runnerbeans interview firmly in my mind - , I took some time to look at my plan - bringing me out to Berlin next year - but also at what might be possible beyond that.
    At what age will I slow down - when will I start looking at 'Masters PB' or 'Age Group PB' - what becomes important then will be different to what's important for the next 2-3 years.

I'm in a comfortable place knowing that at some point, I'll stop getting PB's (relax now - talking a few years here lads......) but between now and then, I want to give it a right go - I'm so motivated right now - its amazing what an hour of thinking/planning will do to your motivation.

From Jan onwards - it will be a JD 10k plan, then some 5k specific stuff for 6-8 weeks, before falling into a plan from the end of May for Berlin.
    I'm hoping by the time i'm training for Berlin that my MP will be 6.20 - so one of my goals is to hit the indicators for that to happen prior to May.
    Between now & Jan - its just maintenance stuff - probably nothing faster than 5mile pace (CV Pace) apart from Strides or hills.

Lets hope Marathons and local races are in a position to return as soon as possible.

The vaccine news this week really perked me up. Lets keep positive.

Monday: More of the same - met a running buddy and done 8 miles - chatting. Miles fly by - I look forward to the Monday runs.

8.3m @ 7.58 pace (128 HR)

Tuesday: A tough Pilates class at lunch. Ran down to the PP and done some strides on the Furze - met another buddy (from Cru) and ran a couple of miles of her warm down.
    6.5miles (120 HR)

Wednesday: My plan contained a 5m progression run (starting at MP + 20sec) that I was going to run on a 2mile loop (C'Field-North Road) - but the 'window of light' went against me as did the weather - so I needed to choose a different route as the wind was whipping up a storm.

I ended up doing a 2mile WU and then done the 5 miles down to the Park and along OS/Furze and Chesterfield.
    I had 2 stretches of about half mile each into a head wind, but it was mostly a side on wind.

The 5m progression went 6.39/6.29/6.17/6.08/5.58 - quite happy with that. HR in the high 160's for the last 2 miles.
    I hope to progress this in 2 weeks time - adding in an additional mile - depending on the wind, I'll do it on a different route. Chesterfield is far too busy with people walking in dark clothes - thank God I had my headlamp.

11 miles total (ave 7.11/mile)

Thursday: Went out for 3 mile recovery before Pilates and ended up doing near 7 as I was listening to 2 more episodes o the 'Where is George Gibney' podcast. An amazing production.

6.66 @ 8.25 pace (HR 114)

Friday: I was contemplating a rest day, but got a text from DD for a lunchtime run in the PP.

I brought him on a tour of the War Memorial Gardens, finishing just over 7 very social miles.

7.1@ 8.20 pace.

Saturday: Session: 6x3mins (1min rec) + 4x200

I was a bit 'meh' about this session - I wanted to pimp it a bit and add a tempo to the start of it or the middle of it as I had done previously.
    But I'm trying to be sensible and build slowly - gain strength and not hit a peak.

I set out in the Zoom Streaks, but just wasn't feeling the love for them, so came back and changed into the 4%'s - I've a new found love affair with these :).
    Had I drove down to the PP, I'd have worn the Streaks for the session and then changed into other shoes for the WU/CD.

Planned pace was 5 mile pace (5.45-5.50) - or Critical Velocity - this is a constant in Tinmans training plans and I'm seeing it move into other coaches plans too (Ben Rosario).

1st 3 reps felt very comfortable. I was working on the 4th and then the last 2 looked after themselves.
    Park was packed so was a lot of bobbing and weaving going on!

5.46/ 5.44 / 5.41 / 5.42 / 5.38 / 5.42

I forgot to do the 4x200's afterwards.

9miles total.

Spurs top of the League - no nails left on fingers or toes after that game.
    Dubs on Sat night - watched the 1st half - that was enough :)

Sunday:
    Feeling ok heading out at 10am, I had a hankering for a different route, so went off to the city center - haven't been in since last Christmas!!.

I was wearing the zoom flys and the legs were feeling fantastic, I did actually wonder if I ran a session on Saturday.
    My HR was in the 130's but my pace was 7.20's and I felt extremely comfortable - so kept going - listening to the last 2 episodes of George Gibney.
    Strange running up Grafton Street at 11am on a Sunday and it was so quiet.

I expected a tougher run home as it was uphill, but no - legs and body played ball - HR stretched out to 150 on the military hill.
    By St Marys, I was avoiding some bikes & people and ran on a mound, only for a tree branch to knock my ear and knock the ear bud out.
    Spent a few mins looking for it, but no joy. Ah well.

15 miles at 7.15 pace (138 ave HR)

64 miles for the week - highest mileage since precedented times. (Feb)

Monday November 23rd: T'was a long long time ago - in a land far far away...............

8miles with my Monday running buddy - good chats makes the time fly.

8m@8.06 pace

Tuesday: Out in the rain- ran around some housing estates and done 6x20sec progressive strides. 2m home.

Strava art was never my forte...........

5.8m

Wednesday: Set out for a 5m tempo run, but after a 5.53 1st mile (far too fast), I kinda knew that wasn't going to happen.

I managed 15 mins at sub 6 pace and then took a 2 min recovery before doing an additional 10 mins at a faster pace. The 10 mins was 1 mile at 5.48 and 4.12mins at 5.57.

So - not the session that I wanted but got 25 mins at a faster tempo than I would have done with the straight 5 miles.

9.5m total.

Thursday:
    6m recovery down to the park and back.

8.20 pace.

Friday: Bonus run - My Monday run buddy texted asking about a run - went out at 3pm for 70 mins - down to the park and back.

8.9m at 7.43

Saturday: Not having done any speedwork for a while, I opted for some 200's and hill sprints today. Knowing that I was doing a steady run on Sunday.

5x40 secs on the Furze road / 5x10sec hills in the Glen / 5x40 secs on the Furze. Walk recoveries.
    Really enjoyed that - short and sharp.

8.7miles

Sunday: Steady'ish run

The main intention of this run was to do some work close to MP 'effort', without over straining too much.

The body knew it had done some speedwork on the Saturday - it was a bit creaky before setting out.
    Done a short routine prior to running to get the body right and was out the door.
    1st couple of miles were good - 7.49/7.40 - I knew it would be a good day!!

Next few miles were also good (Sub 7's - touching 6.30's) before I took about 0.5m recovery going up Manor Street.
    Picked it up again entering the Park on ParkGate street - doing the next 3 miles progressively faster to 6.19, taking me to St Marys.

took the next few miles a bit handy but was still pushing a bit (7.20's) and finished on 14miles at 7.07 average.

Definitely felt tougher than last weeks 15 miles through town (7.15 ave) - so while not marathon training, I still want to be in a position to be able to run upto 10 miles at MP effort in a normal training week - so I'm on the right track here.

My youngest daughters 18th B'Day today - how time flys. Certainly earning the Auldman tag now.

14m@7.07

Monday 30th
    8m around Ongar - good chats.

8m@8.10 pace.

Tuesday 1st: Easy + strides - I like this route (same as last weeks Strava Art route) - let it be called the 'Willy' route forever more.

6x20secs progressive strides.

5.5m total.

Wednesday: 6m progression:
    After doing a 5m progression 2 weeks back - this was the progression of the progression. 6m.
    2 weeks back I chose an easy route, given the weather conditions.

Today was a much fairer route around the Furze/OS roads.

2m warm up then into it as I entered Whites Gate.
    Next 6 miles;

Really enjoyed this run - love these progressions. Ave was about 6.17 for the 6.
    4 miles home.

11.7m

Thursday 3rd Dec: Short recovery during lunch - bitter cold out.

4.7m @ 8.21

Friday 4th: 7miles easy. Went back to Marathon Talk for this one - I only listen when Martin & Holly are hosting and if the Guest is 'decent' - used to be my 'goto' pod a few years back, but sadly its just an occasional listen nowadays.

7miles @ 8.18

Saturday: Session 6x20secs / 6x3mins / 4x200

I was tired on Saturday and not looking fwd to any sort of session - I contemplated 'just' doing a short hill session where the pressure would only be on the efforts and not on the pace - but I reasoned that that was the wrong approach for where I want to be.

I kept with the intended session - 6x3 mins - as previously, I resisted the urge to make it harder by including a 10 min tempo at some stage in the session (there's validity in having it at Start, Middle or End) and just done the basic session.

The workout was a Critical Velocity workout, so planned pace was 5 mile pace (or 30 min efforts) - about 5.45-5.50

6x20sec strides to start and I was off.

Reps were off 1 min recovery.

5.42/5.44/5.34/5.49/5.41/5.40

I pushed the 3rd and 6th reps - in fairness, if I had of being doing a 10 min tempo during this, they would have all been in the 5.50 range.

took a 3 min rec jog and done the 4x200's at quicker than 1m pace.

total was 9.2miles.

Out for Sat night pints!! Heaven.

Sunday
    Got a text from a buddy of mine to do an early Sunday morning run, thankfully I hadn't got a skinful of Guinness and was up at 7am on Sunday morning. 1 piece of toast, 1 coffee and........ahem..... 2 'movements' later and I was out the door defrosting the car.

When I meet these guys, I know its going to be a fastish pace, but we were chatting all the way around and it felt somewhat comfortable. I was still working hard though and as it was baltic out, I couldn't feel my fingers by the end.

Down the North Road, through Phibsborough and up the canal - off at Cabra and back into the park.
    The faster miles were on the hillier side of the park, which was good.
    Finished well, despite being devastated that a red clad young lady didn't return my 'wave' - but you live and learn - she is a Liverpool fan after all.

Finished at 13.2 miles at 7.22 pace.

60 miles for the week.

rethinking my plan - really itching to run faster than 5m pace intervals. But I guess that's Johnny's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

The key is to not do any race specific stuff... And then race :)

• Advertisement

Cheers i'll take the young lady but watch the Liverpool slagging ;)

Ok so we are quits now...basically it all depends on the next sighting:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Was that you with a big win on a certain running podcast this week? :)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Was that you with a big win on a certain running podcast this week? :)

Indeed it was! (Still waiting for it!)

Indeed it was! (Still waiting for it!)

Ha! I got mine last week ;) That'll learn you for sending me gloating messages :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

healy1835 wrote: »
    Ha! I got mine last week ;) That'll learn you for sending me gloating messages :p

What he win J, Best fake tanned runner in Dublin.......

OOnegative wrote: »
    What he win J, Best fake tanned runner in Dublin.......

Not quite :) He won a bobble hat on the Runner Beans podcast.

• Advertisement

Life is a bit bedlam................We continue.

Monday 7th: Out for a few 'low HR' miles down to the PP - very foggy out and quiet slippy in places.
    Listening to Runnerbeans and imagine my surprise when I win a Hat!! They shoulda rang me.

8.2m @ 8.23 pace

Tuesday:
    Pilates at Lunchtime always leaves me fatigued.
    A few miles in the afternoon - I avoided the route that I took for the last 2 Tuesdays due to the Strava Art.

6x20sec strides.

5miles total.

Wednesday: Went out to do a session but had not committed to one on my warmup - I really need to stop doing this and just committ to a plan and session and then go execute it.

Anyway - it went $h!te.

Nearly a 3m WU and into a tempo run - 3m tempo (6.08/6.01/6.07) - it felt like 5k pace.
    After the Tempo I'm a bit annoyed that it was such a hard effort for the pace - so rather than run easy - I run up Chesterfield at Marathon Pace (6.22/6.28) - this felt like Tempo pace.

2m cool down.

In Hindsight - it was dark, damp, windy, raining - head wasn't in it before hand - so its a good 5 miles to do and in the bank.

10m total.

Thursday: 3,7m recovery run - 8.34 pace - loved it.

Friday:

Got a text from DD - so met him in the PP at lunchtime for a few miles.
    Brought him along the Canal and down Castleknock - and for the 2nd time I'm with him, he meets someone he knows......in my backyard.
    Nice pace to run at and chat.

8m @ 8.27

Saturday:

Session day: I wanted to do some 5k stuff as most of my sessions have been Tempo/CV paced.
    I toyed with a Pyramid 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 or some simple 10x2 mins - but went for 5/4/3/2/1 mins - starting at 5.40 (5k'ish) with the aim of getting faster each rep.
    Recovery was to be 50% of the previous rep.

Session went very well - was surprised how I felt at 5k pace. Completed this on Chesterfield and Furze Road - finishing up at Whites Gate for the 1min rep.

5min Rep: 5.39 pace
    4min Rep: 5.34
    3min Rep: 5.34 (busy on Chesterfield - bobbing and weaving)
    2min Rep: 5.22
    1min Rep: 5.03

7.7m total.

Sunday:
    Woke up feeling very 'meh' - Lashing rain out - body knew it had done something 'different' yesterday.
    I also done a crap job of recovering on Saturday.

Started off on my 'long run' - after 0.5m I wanted to turn around.
    I was listening to a podcast with Graham Greene who is a 'mature' runner in the UK - him and his son broke the Father & Son world record a few years back. I found it very good to hear him speak about his training - he's a 2.30'ish guy - so not an elite and definitely relatable.
    I was so into it, so kept going, despite the rain and the general meh'ness.

10 miles@ 8.19 pace.

53 miles for the week. + 2 pilates classes

Monday: Out for a few miles with my Monday running date - threw in 6 strides at the end.

8.9miles@8.21

Tuesday This week will be a challenging week to run - might not get a chance to run the weekend either. Coupled with work being mental.
    So I wanted a longer effort of sustained miles (i.e. not broken up intervals) to mimic a long run with some effort.

I started off in my Hoka Rincon - which I unretired from the attic - done a 2mile warm up, came home, changed into the Zoom Fly 2's and made a mental note never to wear the Rincons again.
    Difference in the Zoom Flys was amazing.

I went down through castleknock & the PP at a steady pace - probably averaged 6.40's for the 6 miles and felt ok with it.
    Ran 10 mins easy up Manor Street and back into the park before starting off again.
    2 more steady miles at ave 6.50's upto CK Gate and then an easy 2m home.

Both my headlamp and my chest light lost battery at various times on this run - so coming up the North road in the dark was a bit hairy!

I was listening to Liam Naughtons podcast - More Than a Runner - with Feidhlim Kelly as guest - 1 hr 34mins of a rant by FK.
    I enjoyed the 1st hour, then found it mildly irritating.

Some good guests on his podcast - its much more serious than Runnerbeans (still never got my free hat) - so I'll keep it on rotation.

13.8 miles at 7.18 pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

What's the story with the Rincons A? Was considering them earlier this year but a buddy of mine put me off.

What's the story with the Rincons A? Was considering them earlier this year but a buddy of mine put me off.

Fact that they are named after a bad 90’s Colombian soccer player is reason enough for me to avoid them.

At €170 a pair - I was expecting something different than.

I find them very hard on the feet - maybe I'm too used to the Nike zoom foam??
    that and the 5mm drop just dont make them a good shoe.

I've a pair of Endorphin Speed on the way and I might invest in the Sacouny Triumph 18's - heard great things about them as a daily shoe.

• Advertisement

Not logged on in a while - but still here. Still committed.

Week 14th Dec-20th Dec: Ran 5 days - 2 days off

43 Miles total - went away to GlenLo Abbey in Glway for a couple of nights - Dinner on a carraige from the Orient Express. Fancy Livin'

Runs of note:
    (1) Steady run as described in my last post.
    (2) A re-introduction to faster intervals. 2x(5x400)

Probably should have done a bit more planning for the 400's - As I set off, I realised I had no target pace/time - so just said I'd do them hard.
    1st set of 5 were ave 75 secs with 1 min recovery.
    400m Jog.
    2nd set of 5 were ave 76 secs with 1 min recovery

Went home and discovered that Daniels recommends those paces with all being off 400m jog. Lesson learned - but I was sore for days afterwards.
    Lesson learned.

Week Dec21st - Dec 27th 41 miles - 5 days running 2 days off
    5 easy paced runs, thanks to a niggle in the upper right quad/hip area.

Longest run was 13.4m with the MSB group - good to catch up.

Week Dec 28th - Jan 3rd: 54miles off 7 days running.

Runs of note.
    Mon-Thurs: 4 easy paced runs - plenty of foam rolling and stretching. Hip is better - but Quad still present at times.

Friday 1st: 11miles - WU-Lap of the park - cool down.
    I spent part of the morning foam rolling, stretching and doing activations. What an exciting New Years Day :)

Went out in my new Endorphin Speeds - turned around after half a mile as I was slipping all over the place on them. The grip is useless in wet/icy conditions.
    Changed into the Zoom Fly and they felt much better in the damp/icy conditions - it was 11am so the ice was thawing.

Done a steady run that turned out to be a progressive run - unbeknownst to me at the time - but happy none the less.
    Not a peep out of the quad/hip. Fastest mile was only a 6.40 - so not even MP.

Sat: 5 miles easy - plenty of foam rolling.

Sunday: Didn't go out til 12'ish - given the ice a chance to thaw out. Done no activation or foam rolling prior.
    Had to stop and stretch a couple of times in the 1st 5 miles - but the latter miles I could run without stopping.

I need to better manage the quad this week - the hip seems to be clear - just a quad niggle.

12m at 7.41

54 miles for the week.

December finished on 213 miles.
    2020 finished on 2771 miles. (4459km)

Plans for 2021??

(1) Sub 2.50 Marathon
    Berlin in September.
    Might also throw an entry into Manchester as security (+ maybe 1 more)

(2) Sub 36m 10k (PB is 36.09)
    Hopefully we see some 10k's in early summer. Clonee / Dunshaughlin in June 2021 - hopeful?

(3) a 5k PB - but this is a lessor goal as I know I'd need 4-5 attempts close together to learn the pain of 5ks again. Jingle bells 2021??

(4) Reduce alcohol intake - I don't drink much, but I enjoy it more when I drink less. Maybe its a 'wine at home' reduction I need?

(5) Log more and improve the quality of my logging. This place could be a gold mine - we need to keep it going and commit to it.

I was going to start a JD plan next week - but will hold on that for now until the Quad is better.

Happy New Year All.

Starting now for logger or log of the year 2021 ;)

Starting now for logger or log of the year 2021 ;)

I will win everything.

I've got a great post lined up for next November '21 - just before the awards, that includes kids crying, dogs, pussycats, me saving people from a burning house etc.

Post of the year 2021 written all over it.

My Berlin 2021 report is basically written. (I'll run 2.50.01 - but will have performed a resuscitation along the way).

More chance of Spurs winning the title than you winning Log of the Year.........

All your 2021 goals could be copied and pasted for me (apart from maybe the 2.50 marathon) especially the wine intake....

I'm also gearing up for log of the year with my shiny new log. Lol.

So last week wasn't a great week.

I ran 7 days and amassed a grand total of 36 miles - all easy paced.

I have this niggle on top of the quad/hip flexor/abductor region (hard to pinpoint) and it does not manifest itself in any way until I'm 2 miles into a run.
    It then causes a bit of discomfort and then dissipates again. I'm reluctant to push the pace or do any kind of quality session - so kept last week very light.
    I'm been foam rolling, self massage, pre-habbing and re-habbing - certainly getting better. I had a decent 7 miles on Sunday for my 'long run'.

I'm trying to get an appointment with my ST this week - so will keep it all easy (might even take a rest day or 2 this week).

Spent some time looking at different plans this week - I purchased a Marathon plan from Derek Hawkins and a 10k plan from Johnny Mellor - more so to get ideas for structure & sessions.
    Some really good ideas in the Hawkins plan that I'll look to incorporate.

From a 10k perspective - I like the look of this - https://training4endurance.co.uk/running/10k-running-plans/10k-training-plan-elite/ -
    but also the JD one is also tried and trusted for me.

So this year will probably be;

Jan-April: Back to 10k type sessions
    April-Mid May: Maintenance - hopefully racing!!
    May - Sept 26th: Marathon Training - probably a Daniels plan with a sprinkling of P&D / Hawkins/ NAZ.

I think for Marathon training this time (with Cramps in mind) - I need to incorporate longer runs with longer bouts of intensity.
    So rather than doing all of Daniels type stuff, which is a lot of broken up efforts - I need to be doing longer steady runs, more longer MP runs.
    Not all the time - but incorporating it in.

1st thing is to get myself back doing sessions hopefully next week.

Week 1, Day 2 - 6x1600m at 10k pace. Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Your niggle on the hip flexor\quad\glute\abdomen\chest\hip\back sounds similar to something I've been managing the last few days, I'm convinced its from too much sitting around during the xmas break.

Nothing your ST won't be able to release I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Don't forget 5x1km @3k pace with 600 recovery :pac:

The advanced 10km plan on that site looks pretty hard-core too with 3 sessions a week starting in week 5 plus a long run. Quite an interesting read all the same. Thanks for sharing AMK

yeah but - 10k pace is currently last years marathon pace :P
    And just 'cos I like the look of it - doesn't mean I'll be doing it.

Just for reference theres other plans too:
    https://training4endurance.co.uk/running/10k-running-plans/
    Its a decent website.

I'll be doing something higglty pigglty - I haven't followed a plan since August.
    Normally - I'd have gone through 3 coaches and 56 plans in that timeframe.

• Advertisement

Duanington wrote: »
    Your niggle on the hip flexor\quad\glute\abdomen\chest\hip\back sounds similar to something I've been managing the last few days, I'm convinced its from too much sitting around during the xmas break.

Nothing your ST won't be able to release I'm sure

I blame the lack of drinking.
    Since I cut back after christmas/NY, my running has been $hite.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

So last week wasn't a great week.
    From a 10k perspective - I like the look of this - https://training4endurance.co.uk/running/10k-running-plans/10k-training-plan-elite/ -

Best of luck with the niggle recovery.

That looks like a very intensive plan. Some very big sessions in there. Is it similar to the JD stuff? The 5-6x800 at 10k pace three days before RACE DAY looks a bit crazy to me. Is this RACE DAY the target race or is the idea to prepare you for a series of races?

Best of luck with the niggle recovery.

That looks like a very intensive plan. Some very big sessions in there. Is it similar to the JD stuff? The 5-6x800 at 10k pace three days before RACE DAY looks a bit crazy to me. Is this RACE DAY the target race or is the idea to prepare you for a series of races?

For clarity - I'm not actually following the plan to the letter - Its moreso the structure that I like - its a little bit different to JD.

on the race week workouts..............

The week I set my 5k PB - I was given a workout on a Tuesday (Race was Friday) 3x1k+4x800. I thought Luke (coach at the time) was mad.

I've never attempted that since & only got close to my PB once. (even in the cheat shoes - my PB was in flats).

There could be something in those pre-race workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

For clarity - I'm not actually following the plan to the letter - Its moreso the structure that I like - its a little bit different to JD.

on the race week workouts..............

The week I set my 5k PB - I was given a workout on a Tuesday (Race was Friday) 3x1k+4x800. I thought Luke (coach at the time) was mad.

I've never attempted that since & only got close to my PB once. (even in the cheat shoes - my PB was in flats).

There could be something in those pre-race workouts.

I tend to do a mini-session the week of a 5 - 10k race. Maybe a mix of 200/400 reps and a km at race pace on the Tuesday before a weekend race.

3 days out with nearly 5k at Race Pace jars with me a little, but I don't have any experience either way to say its good or bad :D Only one way to find out I guess :)

Interesting on the raceweek workout.

The same fella gave me this four days before my 10k PB;
    3 x 1200m @ 6:00/mile (conservative 10k pace at the time)
    3 x 600m @ 5:45/mile (conservative 5k pace at the time)
    2min Recovery for each

Not sure how much can be read into it though - whether there's genius behind it or just a case of racing while training rather than peaking and tapering for a specific target race.

Interesting on the raceweek workout.

The same fella gave me this four days before my 10k PB;
    3 x 1200m @ 6:00/mile (conservative 10k pace at the time)
    3 x 600m @ 5:45/mile (conservative 5k pace at the time)
    2min Recovery for each

Not sure how much can be read into it though - whether there's genius behind it or just a case of racing while training rather than peaking and tapering for a specific target race.

And my 10m PB was 7 days after my 5m PB.

....................Did I ever tell you of the time I broke 60..............

Memories flooding back of reading the wrong week on the plan and after racing a 5k on the Monday, mistakenly running 16x400m hard on the Wednesday which led me in nicely 10k race on the Saturday. PB's across the board that week :)

And my 10m PB was 7 days after my 5m PB.

....................Did I ever tell you of the time I broke 60..............

I vaguely recall........................

I wonder do we stress a bit too much about target races and do best when not overthinking it......................

Although we rarely overthink things :pac::pac::pac:

healy1835 wrote: »
    Memories flooding back of reading the wrong week on the plan and after racing a 5k on the Monday, mistakenly running 16x400m hard on the Wednesday which led me in nicely 10k race on the Saturday. PB's across the board that week :)

9.87km PB that week wasnt it :P:P:P

• Advertisement

9.87km PB that week wasnt it :P:P:P
    Sadly yes. But pretending it's a real PB makes me commit to sub 35 next time out :)

Worth an update.

Monday 11th: 7miles at 8min/mile.

Virtually niggle free.
    Enjoyed it - listened to John Travers on RBeans - never heard him being interviewed before. Very interesting guy.
    Came to the sport late (as part of his Gaisce in 5th year).

And another thing..............

You used to be able to log on after 2 weeks and catch up in 5 mins.
    Now its like 2014 all over again! - all we need is Krusty & Dublin Runner to remake their logs, throw in a bit of TRR & DrQ and its the good old days again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭MY BAD

John Travers.
    Top fella our John :)

Nice one on the nigglefreeness A.

And definitely agree on the forum. Nice to see. Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The place has never been the same since Tales from the Tub stopped! For the newbies who never had the pleasure, here's a taste Hot Salty Balls Part Deux

p.s. nice to see an almost niggle free run!

Listened to that podcast myself this morning, quite enjoyed it, a good bit of banter from him!

Good to hear your almost niggle free:)

• Advertisement

The place has never been the same since Tales from the Tub stopped! For the newbies who never had the pleasure, here's a taste Hot Salty Balls Part Deux

p.s. nice to see an almost niggle free run!

First time seeing his log. Looks like a classic read. You dont see tales like that these days! Apart from maybe TbL....

Yeah I thought it was a good listen. No frills or airs or graces about him was there. Some talent. Would love to see him get a QT for Tokyo.

First time seeing his log. Looks like a classic read. You dont see tales like that these days! Apart from maybe TbL....

Hahaha was thinking the same! Read some of it, hilarious...will read some more later, I really should be getting some work done:rolleyes:

Hahaha was thinking the same! Read some of it, hilarious...will read some more later, I really should be getting some work done:rolleyes:

Easy knowing he ran for Tallaght AC, the language outta him........

OOnegative wrote: »
    Easy knowing he ran for Tallaght AC, the language outta him........

Ah yeah cos all ye culchies speak ever so proper:rolleyes:

Just cos I'm little doesn't mean I'm not feisty... Us Tallaght heads were brought up to stick up for ourselves in whatever is way needed/legal :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement