Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Bringing things back to my running for a bit.............. :)

Wednesday: Recovery run in the Park - sunshine, wind and torrential burst of rain.

4m @ 8.44 pace

Thursday: Session Day

The planned session was 10x2mins - but I had 3(800/600/600) already planned into the watch - so I went with that - similar enough.
    Jogged to the polo grounds but there was an actual polo match on - imagine that!! - so hightailed it over to the Acres - I realised it would be very exposed and it was a tad windy, but seemed like the best option.

reps went ok - except the 1st 800 into the wind and one of the 600's into the wind (marked below with * )- I haven't felt lactate in the legs like it in a long time.

Recoveries were 90s after the 800, 60s after the 600 and 90s after the 2nd 600.

800: 2.48* / 2.43 / 2.43
    600: 2.00 / 2.00 / 1.57
    600: 1.58 / 2.02* / 1.57

Paces were quicker than my 5k pace (5:38) - the last rep of 3 was pretty consistent at 5:27/mile.

With a 3m WU and a 2m CD - the session came to 9.2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Hey AuldManKing,

Just reading some of your log posts and trying to catch up. Some great racing from you !!

Have you got any particular target races at the moment?

pgarr wrote: »
    Hey AuldManKing,

Just reading some of your log posts and trying to catch up. Some great racing from you !!

Have you got any particular target races at the moment?

Cheers - yep - I'm following the Jack Daniels 10k plan and loving it.

Next race is the Clonee 10k, this Thursday- I was meant to do Dunshaughlin, but had a wedding.

Following that, I'm torn with the idea of straight into Marathon training for DCM - or try again for a 5k PB and a 10m PB.

Friday: Wedding in Wexford - drank my bodyweight in wine and guinness.

Saturday: felt remarkably good and got home early from the wedding - done a few miles around the canal and the PP trails.
    8.43miles @ 7.32/mile

Sunday: GAA tourism in clontarf. 5.72 miles and 7x30s strides.

Resting Monday & Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Why rest on Monday? Ye Dublin boys just LOVE to show off!!! Great stuff on the log lately A, well deserved & great to see, keep it going.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Why rest on Monday? Ye Dublin boys just LOVE to show off!!! Great stuff on the log lately A, well deserved & great to see, keep it going.

Cheers - my only worry about this upcoming race is that is it at week 7 of the 6 week competition phase :rolleyes:. So I hope there's no staleness.

I'm trying to replicate the same week I done at Dunboyne, where I took 2 days rest.

As for Dublin boys showing off - well Westmeath know all about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Cheers - my only worry about this upcoming race is that is it at week 7 of the 6 week competition phase :rolleyes:. So I hope there's no staleness.

I'm trying to replicate the same week I done at Dunboyne, where I took 2 days rest.

Good strategy! Don't keep us waiting too long for the report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭aero2k

Nice running last night, you might be starting to get the hang of this.

Would it be rude to point out that I outperformed you in the charity 5k earlier in the day?*

*admittedly only because you didn't actually take part:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

aero2k wrote: »

Would it be rude to point out that I outperformed you in the charity 5k earlier in the day?*

Is this what it's like when you get old? You get pleasure out of beating someone when they only reason you won was cos they didn't race? :pac:

Is this what it's like when you get old? You get pleasure out of beating someone when they only reason you won was cos they didn't race? :pac:

I shouldn't laugh but :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

aero2k wrote: »

Cheers Aero - its taken me a while, but I think I'm getting the hang of it :pac:
    Great performance by you in the charity 5k - I reckon it was short though, but still. Did you break 45 mins?

I didn't win, but I beat AMK - that's all that counts. I was closing on the winner towards the end of my race, unfortunately he was on the far side of the finishing line, and had been for some time.
    I shouldn't laugh but :D:D:D:D:D:D
    I shouldn't twist RQ's words, but...is this what happens when you can't race, you get pleasure from slagging a decrepit old man's attempt to have fun at someone else's expense?:pac:
    Cheers Aero - its taken me a while, but I think I'm getting the hang of it :pac:
    Great performance by you in the charity 5k - I reckon it was short though, but still. Did you break 45 mins?
    I think the 45 min nearly broke me! I actually didn't notice the time, and I wasn't wearing my Garmin (I'm not even sure where it is!), so make of that what you will.

AMK, great to see you can run fast even when I haven't dragged you most of the way around.:D

19 weeks / 21 years
    The 1st is the length of this training block - longer than any Marathon training block I've done and with more periodisation (is that a word?) than I've ever had the patience or trust to complete.

Speaking of patience and trust - the 2nd number is the number of years married on June 29th :)

I missed Dunshaughlin due to a wedding and had chosen Clonee 10k as my Goal Race so far this year - I've had 2 other goal races along the way, but this would be the finish of the training block - what I was training for.

So - the target was (in reverse order)

(3) obviously to beat my PB 37.03 from Dunshaughlin ‘16
    (2) Sub 37
    (1) Sub 36:30

My Dunboyne 5m time pointed to a 36:17 time – but I was worried on a few fronts with so many races lately, my training was impacted (Competition phase – it takes a bit of getting used to).
    It was also a cold, windy and wet evening – that was bound to have an impact as the 1st 3m were into the wind.

Made my way to Clonee, parked up about a mile away from the start line and ventured out in the lashing rain in just my singlet. I should’ve brought a bag and a TShirt.
    After about 2m warm up and strides, we were at the start line.

Possibly the most understated start in race history and we were off.

This was about finding the correct pace (aim was 5:50’ish) and settling in with a group – it soon became apparent that there wouldn’t be too many groups in this race as it was a little thin at the top end.
    The group I was in started to fall off my pace, so I had to take the lead into the wind, which I didn’t want to do.
    Mile 1: 5:42 – a bit fast given the conditions.

Windy here. I recall passing the 2k & 3k markers thinking how will I keep this effort up for another 7k!
    There were a few surges here as I was checking for pace. There wasn’t much racing to be done as the group ahead were too far ahead and I knew 1 guy in that group would go under 36 – so I didn’t want to blow up early by catching them.
    The aim was to hold pace, but it was proving hard – as we approached the loop I was anticipating some relief from the wind – now, it was tough, but not gale force or anything :) - but now, we turned the corner and still had a headwind – how is that even possible.
    Thankfully another runner took the lead at this stage and indicated to me to tuck in. Thank you!

I let him do the work for a while, only to notice the pace dropping below 6 min/miles – so I moved ahead again to push the pace up more.

Mile 2&3: 5:51 / 5:54

As we passed 3 miles, we turned again and the relief was immediate. No more headwind. The effort levels dropped right away – I notice now on my garmin trace that my pace dropped substantially too for about 400m. Not too sure what that was about – lack of focus?

I was still leading out, but knew there were people behind me – I passed Karl Fitz at this stage & the group of 2-3 ahead were also coming back to me!

Mile 4: 5:54

I took comfort that I was making some ground on the group ahead and kept telling myself only 12 and a bit more mins. I was feeling the pace now and starting to question if I could hold it til the end.
    Got a shout out again from AGYG at the intersection indicating that Fletch was just ahead.

Mile 5: 5:51 (29:12 for 5 miles)

So – into the last mile and the legs were tired. I was starting to feel a bit dizzy too - $hit – probably too high of an effort level earlier.
    My pace drops and I surge again, it drops again and I surge again – playing mind games with myself – working out KMs into miles – how many loops of the polo grounds left.
    I glance at the watch and see a lap time over 6 mins. $h!t – c’mon – this is your goal race.

I pump the arms and shorten the stride, but there’s not much there.
    I get passed for the 1st time in the race by 2 guys - A Donore guy who I hadn’t seen who obviously done a good job pacing the earlier miles and Karl Fitz.
    I couldn’t respond to either.

My watch beeps at 6miles and I see the glow of the finish line ahead – is it blinking 35:5x or 36:5x - I try to muster a surge but the legs are jelly and the head is custard :).

I go through the finish line and dry wretch a few times.

Mile 6 & 0.2: 6:01 / 55 secs (5:27 pace)

Finish: 36:09 / 16th in total / 2nd O40

Delighted for Fletch who broke 36 (and change) and also my team mate on his 1st race since December was just 3 secs behind me.
    Luke had a very solid run.

The Positives:
    A 55 second PB over 1 year. An age group prize (everyone wants a travel towel and some foot scrub).
    A strong performance on a $h!tty day were I led out a lot of the way.
    Pizza and a good feed back at the Grasshopper - met a few boardsies.
    What’s not to be positive about?

What can I work on?
    Not really a negative, but I hadn’t the strength to push harder in the last half mile like in my previous races. I reckon this is the racing v training impact and the fact that I’m in week 7 of a 6 week competition phase!! Something was going to give.
    Would have been nice for every mile to be under 6 min miles – that’s something a few months ago I worried wouldn’t happen in a 5k!!

After Thoughts:

“Time” is an amazing thing.
    You set out to achieve a time – you blast that ‘time’, but get close to another milestone ‘time’ – then you start thinking of how you could have saved 10 seconds over a 2169 second race - that’s 0.4% away from 35:59!!

My result rates better than my Dunboyne 5m time as my VDOT moves up again – it’s difficult to gauge performance though – maybe this was a better performance as I had to do a lot of the work myself and the wind was a curse in the 1st 5k.

Overall – delighted with this race, delighted to get such a good PB, delighted that I had to do a lot of the work myself and still get a great PB.

I'll forgo the opportunity of a 5k PB at The Docklands 5k - Now onto Marathon training!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thought I saw your name on the results page, was sure it had to be someone else :)

This log is starting to get seriously boring with all this steady improvement, great racing and consistent training!

Not bad for an auld lad but do you still have all your teeth

TbL

Mrs AMK deserves a medal for last night so, you went to a race on your 21st wedding anniversary? :pac:

You looked strong even if you didn't feel it the second time through the intersection, it was certainly very exciting to watch, I did think you had gained on him on the way back! Well done, super result!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done, great racing and Happy Anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done on a great block of training and racing. I look at you on Strava and honestly don't know how you even remember those complicated sessions, let alone run them. Mightily impressed with tje progress in the last year. Inspirational! The log is really well written too. Chapeau.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Your racing is as prodigious and high quality as your posts on the novices thread these days :)

Well done on a cracking end to your racing extravaganza!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Brilliant racing AMK... i thought your reflection on time at the end was going to be something poetic about your 21 years... should have known better :)

snailsong wrote: »
    Well done on a great block of training and racing. I look at you on Strava and honestly don't know how you even remember those complicated sessions, let alone run them. Mightily impressed with tje progress in the last year. Inspirational! The log is really well written too. Chapeau.

Aha - the penny drops now on who you are!! Thanks for the nice words.
    Singer wrote: »
    Your racing is as prodigious and high quality as your posts on the novices thread these days :)

Well done on a cracking end to your racing extravaganza!

'Prodigious' - you insultin' me or wha'

cheers - thanks for that.
    annapr wrote: »
    Brilliant racing AMK... i thought your reflection on time at the end was going to be something poetic about your 21 years... should have known better :)

I missed a trick there - I could have converted the 0.4% into some meaningful number linking my marriage and the race - I must take more time over these details :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Great racing. Headwinds can have a huge impact on your mental focus I find. Looks like you've learned how to deal with that and spin it positively !

Friday: 6m at 8:02 pace - tipping along nicely.

Sunday: The DDS were training in Swords today, so took the opportunity to run from Fingallians to Portmarnock and back. Lovely day for it and a great route.

The body was tired as I was out on Sat night and had also driven to Galway & back on the sat.

Happy with the pace given how the body felt.

14m @ 7:38

34m for the week - lowest week since after the Marathon last Nov.

June finished with 207 miles - kinda up&down weeks like 60/40/60/40 with races etc.

Officially finished this training block - really happy with how it went. It does take a lot to 'trust the plan' - when you feel like you should be training harder or longer.
    I showed good progression through all the races from Raheny back in Jan (30.19) to the recent block of races.

Approaching the Clonee 10k and now - I feel 'slightly untrained' - I know that sounds stupid after running a huge PB - but the training during the competition phase seems light compared to the other phases and as a result, you feel that you should be doing more - but I guess that says more about my past approach and what I've been used to.

So - Marathon training is upon me - and I still haven't firmed up on what plan I'll use :)

It should be the Daniels 2Q plan given the gains JD gave me with the 10k plan - but the way I felt last year at San Seb, part of me wants to go with what I kow works.
    Decisions decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Serious training block A rewarded with some great PB's, please god marathon training & execution will be as good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Great performance Alan, serious kudos...

By the way loved the line "I try to muster a surge but the legs are jelly and the head is custard "...

Great stuff !

MisterDrak wrote: »

By the way loved the line "I try to muster a surge but the legs are jelly and the head is custard "...

Great stuff !

That's some of my finest work right there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Just catching up here, great training and fantastic racing. Well done Mr Auldmanking

Haven't settled on the Marathon plan yet - mainly due to my holidays coming up in late July/Early Aug - it'll be 2 weeks with some running but not many long runs/sessions.
    It gives me 12 weeks to DCM from when I get back - I'm contemplating using the P&D 11 week plan coupled with the 12 week Steve Way sessions that I used last Marathon - topped up with the FD10 - DCM HM - 3/4 Mara as long MP sessions.

For the next 3 weeks, I'm going to use sessions from JD's 56-70 2Q plan to see how I cope with them - that'll help my judgement for after the holidays.

Monday:
    AM: small loop around the PP - 5.35m at 8:22 pace. Legs feeling tired but ok.

PM: Up to Porterstown and 11x20s (cant count to 10 :) ) strides in the park beside the house - 5.09m @ 8:13 pace.

10.44 for the day.

Tuesday: Modified JD session (as if they aren't complicated enough)

I knew that the JD session was going to be tough as it was so soon after Sundays long run and I still had Thursdays race in the legs - so I had a couple of sessions in mind, all depending on how the legs were feeling.
    I like these "modifying sessions on the go" as it means I dont quit on a session and still get a good work out.

As per JD - I was using paces based on 2 VDOT's lower than my last race.

Started off with 6 miles easy pace - up to Porterstown park and back down to the PP. the 6m were about 7:40 pace, so too fast I reckon for how I was feeling.

The next part of the plan was to do 2x2m T pace and see how I felt - I chose a route that brought me to the water stop at the polo grounds.

I had hoped that I'd get a total of 3x2 @ T - but knew the legs wouldn't cope - especially going up Chesterfield - so decided to do it at HMP (future MP :) ).
    This was tough but manageable and finished the 2 miles in time to see JT and his entourage leaving Farmleigh with his BFF Leo.

3m back to the house where I ate everything to ensure recovery :)

1st 2mT (6:06/6:15)
    2nd 2mT (6:06/6:16)
    HMP/MP (6:25/6:28)

15m total @ 7.22/mile.

MisterDrak wrote: »

Great stuff !
    That's some of my finest work right there :)

Definitely getting your just desserts.....

Wednesday: Lovely recovery run around Porterstown.

5.1m in 8:30/mile

Thursday: really enjoyed this run - hoping that the legs are able for 2 JD sessions and a decent MLR - a lap of the PP and a small lap around the Glen.

10m @ 7:47/mile

Friday:
    AM: Tired legs this morning - so kept it very easy

4.5m @ 8:10

PM: Legs felt great (amazing how biology works - or is it chemistry??)
    A little loop of the PP - felt great to stretch the legs - just didn't want to stop.

5.26m @ 7:16/mile

9.7 for the day.

Saturday: Nada / nothing / zilch - drove to & from Galway to pick up my younger daughter from the Gaeltacht as she is in final stages of Dublin U15 GAA trials. If successful, that'll be 2 of them in the Dub set up - gets in the way of training :).

A night of Coldplay followed - what a show!!

Sunday: A successful trial for the youngerking (but I'm biased) - wont here til the weekend. Thankfully wifey brought her back to Galway :)

Allowed me to do a JD session today in a very busy Phoenix Park.

Started off with 3m Easy - about 8min/miles and then into a tempo.
    The prescribed effort was for 3m T - but I decided very early on to break it up to 3x1mT with a 1min recovery - still 16 weeks to go - no heroics needed just yet.

The 3x1m were at 6:04/6:00/6:05 per mile with a 1min walk break.
    Back into an 8m easy run, which brought me over to the war memorial gardens - been a while since I was there.
    Back into the park and over to the 15 acres. The 8m section was about 7:30/mile ave.

The last section was prescribed as a 2m tempo - but I was tired and had no water or gels or the session so decided to do 2m at MP - which I completed in 6:30/6:44 - 2nd mile into a stiff wind.

1.3m back to the car and I was living on fumes.

Looked after recovery right away with electrolytes and choc milk - followed afterwards by a short 40 min walk with the Madra and a monkfish & sweet potato dinner - cooked by myself I might add.

I further enhanced my recovery with some wine :) with its antioxidants, particularly flavonoids like quercetin and resveratrol
    (pulled from Google :))

17.3m @ 7.23/mile

67.5m for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

So wine is officially a recovery drink now, excellent!

That was some session. And well done to the u-15 too!

Advertisement