Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Very much so. SCP is a park I like, and I'll hopefully run there more often in the summer. Some excellent work being done here, seems like JD is good for you ;)

Cheers - its keeping me from the MSB sessions, but it does see to be working for me. Think I'll only get maybe 3 long runs in for the next 6 weeks with the group.

Monday: Bit of a nothing day. Took the day off work and done nothing. I really enjoyed doing nothing and must do more of doing nothing more often.
    Eventually got around to running at 9:30. 4miles inc 10 strides- went home and done nothing.

Tuesday: With the GIR on Sunday, I thought about taking a stepback week this week - I have a buffer week in the plan - but thought the better of it as I'm off to Edinburgh over Easter and will need a buffer there.

So I went with the books recommendation of ditching Q2 and doing Q3 on the Tuesday.
    Session was planned as: 3T / 4x200 / 2T - the Actual was 3T / 4x200 / 2x1T (1min)

2.1m warm up with some strides.
    3 mile T was down the OS, back on the Furze and then down C'Field to the Acres.
    Felt very comfortable here as its net downhill and had a tailwind - so the 17:58 sounds a tad quick, but is actually ok.

Done the 4x200 on the Acres - varied between 38-40 secs with full 200 jog recoveries.

On the 2nd Tempo - it was 2m and I felt the effort levels rise immediately as it was into a headwind.
    Rather than compensate with a slower pace, I broke it down into 2x1m with a 1min recovery.

Finished the 2 miles with ave pace of 6:08 - the 2nd mile felt much better than the first.

I love how this plan makes you strong - physically and mentally.
    On the warmup I was contemplating this being my 4th session since last Wednesday (Wed/Fri/Sun/Tues) and it didn't phase me at all. I knew I'd nail the session and despite the 'on the fly' adjustment for the last 2mT - I felt very good and finished very good.

Overall - 10.77m@ 7:07 pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow A, hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Have a good one today, A. On home turf so take advantage of it.... and ENJOY!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow A, hope it goes well for you.
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Have a good one today, A. On home turf so take advantage of it.... and ENJOY!!!

Thanks guys - Savage course alright. :o

• Advertisement

Wednesday: A short recovery run by Parnells GAA club while my daughter was warming up for her match.
    Even got a shout by a svelte PaulieYifter on his rothar.

3.6m @ 8.22

Thursday: An ickle lap with 6 strides - nothin' extrodinary........

5.2m

Friday: Rest Day

Sat: a little lap around the estate with 5x30sec strides - AKA 'A shakeout'.

Sunday: Great Ireland Run / Nat 10k

I hate this race.
    Not because it has a horrible route, but because its a 'for profit' org that takes a lot of the money out of Ireland.
    I hate it even more after today.
    Partially 'cos of the route and partially 'cos of its 'englishness*'.
    (*note - I've deleted that last word 6 times but cant find another word for how I can describe it and I'm the least racist person you could meet).
    The English commentator (Why have one in Ireland??) constantly referred to the Nat 10k as the 'All Ireland Championship" - It was skysports stuff.

I'm disgusted at how the AAI would have the National 10k associated with this race. Its truly deplorable - on every level as there are plenty of quality 10k's around the country put on by clubs or the BHAA.

Anyway - I decided to do it as the club wanted to enter a team, so I committed to the captain a while back that I'd do it.
    It wasn't a goal race by any stretch but I harbored thoughts of a low 37 min time.

During the week of the race, I tried to do a race plan similar to Dunboyne, but I couldn't get the passion for it.
    Anyway - I still wanted to give it a good rattle on a tough course.

I had a 2m warm up with some strides - didn't feel comfortable in the warmup - felt I had too much breakfast (3 weetabix :) )along with plenty of water.

I had to change my entry from the to include the Nat 10k as I had only signed up for the GIR - only took a few seconds.

We were set off up chesterfield and my initial plan was to keep the 1st 3 miles just under 6 min/miles - bank effort not time was the goal.

Mile 1 came in 5:52 - I passed Eddie N from M.Harriers who looked terrible and who jogged in the last few miles - I'm still claiming his scalp - still a tad faster than planned.

Mile 2 was into the wind and I had no idea where I was or what pace I was running as the watch was bouncing from 4:30's to 9:30's and buzzing the bejaysus out of itself - very frustrating at this stage.
    I met FBOT supporting along here who told me to stop looking at my watch - I wonder if he seen me giving the middle finger :) (joking - thanks for the support) 5:58 (i found out afterwards that it was 5:58)

Mile 3: This was Included the Khyber downhill and my plan was to recover and keep the pace slow'ish to allow for a good hill burst. As the watch was acting up - I had no idea of pace on this mile when finally the watch resumed normal operations midway down the Khyber. I was still passing people with very few passing me at this stage. 5:51

Mile 4: Up Military Hill by the fort - eyes down, pump the arms, shorten the stride.................are all things I should have done, but didn't. Badly executed hill. Recovered on the S Bends. - 6:11 - thanks to the hill and the wind which was remarkably stiff.

Mile 5:
    Up the upper Glen Road & down the glen - I normally love this drag and normally it doesn't hold any issues for me, but today I was poor going up it and recorded my slowest mile at 6:21 which is the most disappointing part of the entire race for me. I had hoped/planned for a sub 6 mile here.

Mile 6: Turned by the pond and up the glen. Worst hill in the history of hills. They use a model of this hill to torture prisoners of war, so legend has it (..........I may have made this up).
    From my 2 tempos I've done up here, I knew the hill was only 0.25m - get over it - do it at whatever pace - then we'll start motoring.
    A large number of people stopped on the hill, but I'm glad I kept going - turned at the bollards and recovered on the straight. My Strava trace shows me taking the hill at 6:30 pace and then accelerating to 6 min/mile pace at the turn - yes - 6min/mile was the recovery.
    As I turned at the Furze - I knew we had 1 km left - a clubmate gave me a shout and I knew there'd be a lot of people on this last km. Another shout by FBOT - thank you.
    A couple of people came level with me and were about to pass me out - when I got a shout from my wife & daughter - wtf - I didn't know they'd be here - they surprised me - there was no way those 2 would catch me now.

Mile 6 in 6:12

I surged the last 0.2 @ 5:38 pace - buoyed by the support, my family looking on and the other 2 on my shoulder.
    I passed the line in 37:49.

Not my best 10k by a long stretch, and well outside my expectations - but given the course and how I felt, its an acceptable finish and a good workout on a non goal race.

Finished with a 2.2m warmdown for 10.33m for the day.
    - a good workout.

Then onto Croker - but the least said about that the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good going on a pig of a route & your spot on with the *Engishness analogy. Eddie N pulled/tweaked his hammer in a 10k I done last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I saw the virtual finger alright!! Good strong finish bodes well for next outing.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I saw the virtual finger alright!! Good strong finish bodes well for next outing.

Yeah - I hadn't committed to this race and am really looking fwd to next few races. I see Sub 18's Sub 30's and Sub 37's on the horizon :)

• Advertisement

Monday: AM: 4m recovery inc a long lap of porterstown.
    PM: Another 3.7m while my youngest daughter went through her warmup for a GAA match in Malahide. Tired legs this evening.

total: 7.7m

Tuesday: A nice few miles in the PP with 8x20sec strides.
    9.14 @ 8:05/m

Wednesday: Session - 8x3 mins - 2min Recovery (target pace 5:40)

Just over 2 miles warm up to the Polo grounds, a few strides and then set off.
    Reps were consistent enough - the breeze was tough on certain reps, I varied between clockwise and anticlockwise.
    Paces were;
    5.34 / 5:40 / 5:43 / 5:48 / 5:46 / 5:47 / 5:34 / 5:32.

Jogged most of the recoveries - I actually found the workout very manageable, despite having tired legs.

Jogged back to the car the long way.

10.10m

Sorry to see some people leave here, been thinking that way myself recently, but the use of this as a digital diary, even if no one reads or comments, is a good useful tool. We'll see.

Thursday: 5.2m @ 8:09 around Porterstown park. Forgot to do the strides :)

Friday: JD Session: 6x1m@T (1 min) + 4x200 (200 R)

Even though the legs felt grand, I still wasn't looking fwd to the session - the race on Sunday and a session on Wed will have taken there toll. But I've a down week planned next week (additional buffer week in the plan) so I was keen to do it.

Drove to the PP - 2m warm up and I was off. Planned T pace is 6:10.

T1: From C'Knock Gate down the North Road - had the wind at my back - all was good in the world. 6:01

T2: Turned right, Into a head wind but managed to keep a decent pace - finished by the Acres: 6:01

T3: Top of the Acres past the fort and turned into a massive headwind again. 6:06

T4: Starting with a headwind, turned right onto the straight along the roadside and kept going til I got to Chesterfield. 6:09

T5: Along Chesterfield, wind at my back - kinda recovered a bit. Turned upto the Polo grounds at the Zoo. 6:09

T6: Nearly 2 laps of the Polo Grounds - into a headwind for 2 of the straights. Kept strong here as it was the last lap. 5:59.

These runs are gold for me. I love the feeling of the Tempos - the 1 min recovery certainly goes fast.

Finished off with 4x200 (200 recovery) 37/35/37/35

2 miles back to the car.

11 miles in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Love those tempo repeat sessions. I find the effort stays more even as opposed to the messiness/racing feeling of the continuous efforts by the end. Maybe a hint to run the continuous ones slower i guess!

Youre flying at the minute, will be in fine fettle for a great summer on the roads, whats next for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

If you don't mind me asking, what's the recovery between miles at tempo and 200,s.

Love those tempo repeat sessions. I find the effort stays more even as opposed to the messiness/racing feeling of the continuous efforts by the end. Maybe a hint to run the continuous ones slower i guess!

Youre flying at the minute, will be in fine fettle for a great summer on the roads, whats next for you?

Cheers - planning to peak in a few weeks. Might give Terenure a bash and am torn between the Bohermeen 5k and the BHAA 5m in Dunboyne 1 week later (my favorite race)
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, what's the recovery between miles at tempo and 200,s.

I dont think the time between tempo & 200's or the recovery matters - the main thing on the 200's is to run each one at full tilt and be fully recovered for the next one - if that takes 1 minute or 5 mins so be it.
    In the case of yesterday I only took 1 min between tempo and 200's as I was in a hurry :).
    In previous cases, I may have taken 2-3 mins.

If you do the tempos at the right pace, you find that the 200's use a different energy system and its remarkable how easy it is to do them after a tempo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great session A, you're flying and I loved reading all the variety in the training.

Saturday: Club Hill run

We do a few hill runs every now and then with the club - as I hadn't been in their company much since I started the JD plan I was looking forward to this one.
    We parked in Crone woods for the ascent of Djouce - I had done this once before and the painful memory wasn't enough to put me off. Its only a 4m uphill afterall.

The initial mile winds its way to a fab view of the Powerscourt waterfall - the mile itself hits you initially as you find your breathing laboured right away. Turning left, there is a dangerous descent to the Dargle River, crossing the bridge before a hell of a climb which doesn't stop till you get to the summit. Our group of 8 had split into a 4 and a 2x2.
    Our 4some ran most of it - there were a few momentary stops to catch our breath, watch our footing, but mostly to catch our breath.
    The last bit to the summit was a killer, mostly walking but 1 guy was in full beast mode and ran every step.

A bit cold at the top, but some great scenery - we took the obligatory selfies and headed back down, the back way.
    Going downhill was dangerous, plenty of rocks to be avoided and 2 of us took it at pace.

Once we crossed the river, we had another uphill for a bit before we had the windy trail back down - a lovely run in great company.

8.6m @ 9:47/m

(mile splits for the craic: 9:25 / 9:19 / 12:00 / 15:38 / 10.14 / 6:53 / 10.47 / 6.38 / 5.55 for the last 0.6 )

Sunday: Restless legs overnight and sore glutes when I woke up - I took an additional 2 hours in bed and missed the club run. Ran down to the park, a couple of miles around it and then home.

9.3m @ 7:58 pace

61 miles for the week with 2 good sessions & a mountain run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Saturday: Club Hill run

61 miles for the week with 2 good sessions & a mountain run.

Not forgetting last Sunday's race. Surely a PB or two is going to fall at the end of this cycle. Provided you stay healthy and injury free, that is. But up to now everything looks to be clicking into place.

Not forgetting last Sunday's race. Surely a PB or two is going to fall at the end of this cycle. Provided you stay healthy and injury free, that is. But up to now everything looks to be clicking into place.

Yep - My aim is to PB at most distances that I tackle from end May onwards.

The 10k one I'm confident about (37:03) - it'll happen in late June all going well.

The 5m one is tricky (29:13) but with the right conditions, its doable - I done 4 x 5:50 miles in Dunboyne 4m - so I'm hopeful that the additional fitness I've gained since then should allow me 5 x 5:50 miles for a 29:10.

The 5k one is all about my head and what mood I turn up in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

I think both your 10k and 5 mile PBs are going to tumble over the summer A - some of those sessions you're putting in would have to give you that sense, keep up the great work

• Advertisement

This week is a down week for me.

Monday: Decided to run home from the mothers house, much to the amusement of my sisters who have never seen me run or wear a pair of shorts.
    I went the long way, taking in some memories of my youth including Poppintree park (Poppintree Utd), Johnstown Park (Tolka Rovers), Botanic Gardens (close to 1st Off Licence that served me :) ), Grave diggers (formative years drinking), Harts Corner (haircuts there!!) - before turning up onto the Canal, turning at Ashtown and doing a lap of the PP before heading home.

13.38 Miles @ 7:30/mile

Tuesday: Off - flew into Edinburgh with the family for a few days.

Wednesday: Exploring a bit of Edinburgh - went to HolyRood Park where the XC is held - ran up a long hill that was close to Arthurs seat and then back to the hotel via a uTurn as I was going the wrong way.

5.68 @ 7.49

Thursday:
    After my view of Arthurs seat yesterday - I persuaded my family to go an a walk - we reached the top of Arthurs seat as a family. A family who were not talking - but as a family. - I tried to tell them that this would be a memory they would have for years - wasn't going down well.

Set off for a run later on while the ladies shopped - the reward for their hike :) - taking PaulieYifters advice from Strava, I took off to Leith - but couldn't locate the Leith water walk. I ran instead across town to Lizzy & her families boat - not very impressive I must say - and then back along the Leith Walk - which was much more impressive.
    Think of a huge metropolitan area that has a series of laneways built into them covered with trees that are multi directional and so well signposted - kinda like the canal runs here without the water.

5.57 @ 7.50

Friday: Afternoon drinks and a short flight home for midnight.

Saturday: Parked on the Furze and done a small circle of 7 miles including 10x 20s strides.

7.05 miles.

Sunday: Although it was my down week - I wanted to do a Marathon Paced session as I'd miss 1 of them due to races in the coming weeks.
    The scheduled run as 1E+8MP+1T+2MP.

I discounted this as I wanted to do 16 miles today and didn't think I'd be able for a continuous set of MP mileage after a week on the beer.
    I decided on 4/3/2 miles at MP + 1 mile at Tempo - for a total of 10 miles work. with the 4/3/2/1 mins recovery and warm up / cool down - it came to 16 miles.

Despite my planning of routes and alternative routes, I made up my route from the word go. A 2m warm up beside my house - the 4m including Porterstown Parkrun course - during which I decided to run across to Hartstown Parkrun course and do that.
    On the final mile in Hartstown - I done the tempo mile - came in at 6:12 so happy with that.

Splits were:
    4 miles: 6:40/6:37/6:28/6:30
    3 miles: 6:30/6:34/6:38
    2 miles: 6:24 / 6:37
    1 mile: 6:12

16m @ 7:10 pace ave. & very happy with that.

Straight from this to bring the oldest girl to the U17 Dub Dev squad trials and then onto watch my younger girl play up for the U16's.

A good but tiring day.

47.6 miles for the week

Monday:
    AM: Easy run to Porterstown - a big lap and then back home.

4.24m @ 8.16 pace

PM: A few miles around the PP and then into 10x20s strides.

5.8m

10 for the day

Tuesday: JD Session 6x1200 - 3 mins

I had planned this originally for Wednesday - but GAA getting in the way again, meant it had to be Tuesday.
    Took me an age to eventually get out the door - I hadn't committed to this in the way I normally did.

Due to the breeze I went up to Porterstown to hopefully get some protection from it - there was a lot going on up there - great to see, but not great for these sort of sessions.

After the 1st 2 reps - I nearly threw in the towel - they felt harder than they should have done. I started the mind games early enough saying that I'd only do 4 reps - 4800 of work was a good enough session.
    I got the 3rd done in a super fast time due to a stupid paced 1st 600 - I done the 4th on the now empty grass track of MSB - my God - it was tough on the lumpy surface and 3 straights into the wind.

Decided to try a 5th rep - I'd leave it after that.

After the 5th rep - I said I'd do 1 more but split it between an interval session and a tempo - ended up doing the 6th rep as an interval - as I knew I would.

The last 300 of 4 reps were up an incline and into the wind - made for a very tough last 300m

Target time per rep: 4:14

Actual time per rep: 4:15 / 4:18 / 4:08 / 4:13 / 4:20 / 4:17

Times are sightly slower than the last time I done this workout a month ago - but the wind alone would've added these seconds on plus the tired legs from Sunday - so happy enough that I seen out the session.

8.4m for the day with WU/CD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Top class mind games there A - love it :D

Wed: Easy miles with 8x20 sec strides.

6.85m Total.

Thursday: An easy 5m before heading out to Punchestown with the work crew. Done quite well out there too!
    A lot of standing though - was on my feet from 2pm til after 8 - seats at a premium. A number of pints during the day too :)

5m@7.58

Friday:
    I didn't want to do a session today as the legs were so tired from the previous day and the head was tired too ;).

However - the weather Gods were showing a calm day on Friday and a windy day on Saturday. So a Session on Friday it was.

The plan was to 1st get my car from work in Leixlip. Run to train - run from train to work - drive to the PP.

2.8m for this bit :)

Down to the PP and the planned session was 3x2m (2 mins) + 4x200. (target was 12:18 for the 2m)

After a short warm up I set off from Castleknock Gate with a lap of the Furze and OS roads - finishing back near the gate.
    Rep1: 12:08

After a 2min walk/jog - I was off again - down the North road - turning at the GIR right turn bringing me to the Acres. 2nd mile was tough into a slight headwind.
    Rep 2: 12:09

Another 2min walk jog recovery and done the 3rd rep on the acres - felt strong here. Breeze wasn't too much of an issue.
    Rep 3: 12:00

Took about 3-4 mins and then went into the 4x200's

The 200's were shockingly fast - I scared myself on them - I dont think I have run faster ever.

36/32/33/32 seconds

Delighted with this session - the 2m Tempos went well - in hindsight this could be seen as similar to the 'best 10k workout' - so very happy with how it went knowing that there was more there - but I did need the 2 mins breaks.

12.8m for the day

Sat: busy GAA day - only managed 4m with strides quite late.

4.12m

Sunday: 1st club run in a few weeks and a good few turned up. Pretty strong 1st 6m at about 7:15 pace ave before we met up with the 8:45 group where the pace leveled out.

A group of us took a different route to inclue a hill by St Marys and spent a bit of time catching the group - coming around the Fort and again in catch up mode before settling in for a moderate set of 7:40's for the last few miles home.

16m@ 7:24 pace.

63.1m for the week - another good mileage week, given that I've had 7 GAA games to go to, visitors over from Asia in work, Punchestown and dog walking duties :)

231 - miles for the Month.

Looking forward to 2-3 races in May.

Thinking about the Navan 6k rather than Terenure now - still to decide. It might allow me the flexibility to do both the Bob Heffernan and Dunboyne 5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Those 400s were shockingly fast alright. ;)

Great session.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Those 400s were shockingly fast alright. ;)

Great session.

Doh! My bad.

Monday: 2 runs again on Monday.

AM: 4.5m picking up the car - 8:07/mile

PM: Just over 4m around the park - felt a strange pressure on the shin area - inside left leg - didn't do any strides.
    Massage and stretching at home.

Tuesday: The leg felt fine today - no issues with it - strange, but a reminder to myself to look after the body a bit better.
    JD Session today: 7x3 mins. (2 min rec)

2.75m warm up down to the Acres - no strides 'cos I forgot.

Done all 7 reps around the Acres - there was a good breeze on 3 sides - not too sure how thats possible, but it is on the Acres.

1st rep was the toughest - should've done strides. 5th also tough as the breeze picked up. Last rep was with a tail wind for the entire rep.

Paces for each 3 min rep.
    5:40
    5:38
    5:41
    5:43
    5:32

Its amazing how you can be willing the finish to come on a 3 min rep in 5:40 - but be able to hold 5:50 pace for 4 miles in a recent race.

10.2 miles in total.

Wednesday:

felt tired today, got out for 6+ miles around the park - couldn't face going up the S-Bends, so I went out of the park and back in by park gate street. Thats how tired I felt. Didn't do strides.

6.32m @ 8:09/m

Thursday: took a well earned rest day. Done the back and front garden after work - brownie points awarded to me. :)

Friday:
    My plan for the coming few days had 2 meaty sessions in them.
    (1) 3mT 4x200 3mT
    (2) 10m @ MP

With Friday being a particulary windy day I reckoned it was safer to switch the workouts and do the MP stuff in the wind and the Tempo stuff on the forecasted calm day on Sunday.

Great plan. Lets do it.

I have done a few MP stuff in the past few weeks with 2 straight 10 milers at 6:50 pace.
    With the Dunboyne 4m, my Vdot changed and the MP pace is now 6:30.

A couple of weeks back I done 4/3/2/1 @ MP - so I reckoned with the strong wind, I'd break it up into 2x5m (3 mins) - thats still showing progression and is a meaty workout in itself.

The 1st 5m segment was tough into the wind in places, but it was also mostly downhill (if you call the North road in the PP a hill).
    I finished it quite strong and even considered not taking the break.
    1st 5m (6:33/6:29/6:31/6:25/6:28).

The 2nd 5m I knew would be tough - I knew it would be uphill but I thought the wind would be a tailwind.
    1st 3 miles were fine - even the Acres was manageable - I came out onto the S Bends and took advantage of the downhill - facing into the Upper Glen Road - now - that road turns gradually and as I was going up it, the wind was becoming a big issue. At the top, I had to take a 30 sec 'pause break' to catch my breath but set off again.
    The last mile was tough, across the trail by Mt Sackville school - into the wind - and I considered canning it but didn't, thankfully.
    2nd 5m (6:32/6:29/6:29/6:38/6:43)

Lay down in the sun for 5 mins afterwards, pretty happy with the effort before a 2m jog home.

14.3m @ 6:58 pace ave

* Note for future reference: Breeze was 30-35k - I could have done the 2x3m T session with the right route.

Saturday: legs felt grand on Sat, I done a few easy miles along the trails in the park and finished off with some strides on the Furze. Still quite breezy.

6:21m @ 8:31

Sunday:
    I was out on Sat night for a meal & a few social ones - nothing too hectic - but spent most of Sunday morning on the loo :( before eventually getting out.
    I had planned to do the 2x3m session but even on the warm up jog I didn't feel right - felt a bit lethargic and knew it would be tough.
    I jogged up to Hartstown Park and set off - after half a mile I knew 3m wouldn't be happening, so changed the session 1m T intervals.
    Managed 4 of them with some mind-games before deciding that enough was enough - the last rep was about 10mins at T pace rather than a mile. .

Don't really mind that the workout didn't happen - it was a key workout, but the positive I'm taking from this is that I still got close to 30mins at T pace & I'll be fresher going into the week and hopefully it'll lead to a stronger performance in Terenure.

4x1T (6:04/6:12/6:00/6:16)

10.22m @ 7.16 ave

56m for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great session Fri - was in the park late morning and the wind was certainly bracing.

"Pause break" - is this allowed? :)

Nice work.

• Advertisement

Monday - didn't do the usual 2 run Monday - opting for just 1 longer run.
    Plenty of Garda around Farmleigh for Charlies visit - I counted 27 or them along Whites road to just inside Whites Gate.

legs felt grand today - 10 good strides at the end.

9m.

Tuesday: JD Session 2x4min / 3x3min / 4x2min (off 3/2/1 mins recovery)

I had done this previously (finish was 2x2 as opposed to 4x2 today) and found it tough, but I think it was my 1st V02 session in a while.
    Parked on The Furze Road and ran down to the Acres - about 1.5m warm up with some strides along the way.

For the 1st time in a long time,I spent about 5-10 mins stretching before the session and the legs felt much better as a result.
    The session was on the path along the acres, so no protection from the wind - thankfully not as strong as previous days.
    Overall, the session went very well - the only difficulty I had was on the 1st rep and a couple of the 2min reps which were into a headwind.

Paces: Target: 5:40

4 mins: 5.35/5.32

3 mins: 5:32 / 5:25 / 5:38

2 mins: 5:44 / 5:36 / 5:41 / 5:23

Just over a mile back to the car.

JD advocates 75% rest for the 4 & 3 min reps - who am I to argue that 50% is a better number...........but I might reduce future recoveries.

8.6m for the day

Advertisement