Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Sunday: Club run

Turned up at 8am for this

Spotted you in the park this morning - based on the time, you must have been nearly done. But you still looked fresh, certainly did not like someone who was 14+ miles in. What time will you be targeting in Dunboyne?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Spotted you in the park this morning - based on the time, you must have been nearly done. But you still looked fresh, certainly did not like someone who was 14+ miles in. What time will you be targeting in Dunboyne?

Sure I'll be doin' well to even finish it :cool:

Monday: Sunday night was a night of drunken debauchery and a reminder why I should not drink and mix my drinks after a hard Sunday run.
    Monday morning I had a chance of a 4m recovery, but didn't feel up to it.

After work (I worked at home) I decide to drive to the PP and do a bit - felt like a new man - the miles flew by.
    Done the 10 strides as prescribed by JD.

8.5m @ 7.52 pace.

Tuesday: Another Tuesday another 'Repetition Session'. 2x200 / 10x400 / 1E / 4x200 with full recoveries.

As per usual I felt 'tired' driving to the PP for this and the 2m warm up was as lacklusture as the Arsenal forward line.

I do reckon that this is my body 'knowing' that there is a session ahead and its conserving all the energy it can - kinda like what happens on race week. Or maybe I was just tired :)

I done the speedwork on the Furze - in-between the 2 bollards 400m apart.

The 1st of the 200's was way too fast with the 2nd being more on the money.
    (36/40)

Next up was the 10x400's each one with full recovery - I done some reading on this type of speedwork ad the aim is to be recovered enough so that the next rep is as good as the previous one - if you need a 1:2 or 1:3 recovery, then thats ok.

Just before I started the 400's, my BFF Sean H comes ambling by - he gives me a cherry hello and I congratulate him on a great performance over the weekend (66min HM).
    So, he asks me out for a drink and wants to coach me................actually that only happened in my mind......nevermind.

The 400's were very tough - even with the full recoveries. I knew from previous that I had done 8x400 at about 76secs.
    The prescribed time for these is 81s according to my VDOT.
    I ran them at 'mile pace' - just over 5 min/mile - the 1st few were probably starting out at 4:30 pace and finishing at 5:30 - but I got the pace after 3 or so.
    The reps were (75/78/76/75/77/76/76/77/76/75) - so pretty consistent all the way through.

The legs were sore on finishing these - the quads felt they took a pounding.
    I took the prescribed 1 mile easy pace to the Acres and done the 4x200's. (38/37/36/35)

Had a 15min slow jog back to the car.
    Made sure I ate well this evening and hydrated enough.(I always crave Tea after a hard session)

Not too sure why the legs felt the way they did - last weeks session was similar (in fact some reps were faster) and I didn't feel it as much.

Next 2 days will be light enough and then Tempo Friday is on.

11.2 miles for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Monday: Sunday night was a night of drunken debauchery and a reminder why I should not drink and mix my drinks after a hard Sunday run.
    Monday morning I had a chance of a 4m recovery, but didn't feel up to it.

After work (I worked at home) I decide to drive to the PP and do a bit - felt like a new man - the miles flew by.
    Done the 10 strides as prescribed by JD.

Those kind of recoveries don't get any easier the "aulder" you get :D and especially not with JD involved ;)

Great consistency on the reps, keep up the good work!
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

You're going well A - looking forward to seeing what you can do over 4 miles in Dunboyne, keep up the great work

• Advertisement

Duanington wrote: »
    You're going well A - looking forward to seeing what you can do over 4 miles in Dunboyne, keep up the great work

With the sort of training I'm doing right now, the danger is that I'll have a great 1st 2 miles and then fade!!

I view it as all part of a process - I used to get caught up in race performance, but for Dunboyne and GIR these will be stepping stones to fitness.

As the plan progresses to more V02 stuff and back to back hard days - these are more stepping stones.

Hopefully the plan will have me peaking for both Dunboyne 5m (BHAA) and Dunshaughlin.

Wednesday and Thursday were easy days - just under 5m each - added 8 strides on the Thursday.

Friday: JD Session: 4x200/3mT/3minsR/2x1mT (1min)/4x200 (I set the watch up :) )

Was feeling a bit apprehensive about this one - especially the 3mT as I hadn't ran anything longer than 1m tempos and only 2mins at vo2 pace.
    So I had visions of me not holding the pace and reporting a $hit session.

However - JD (aka Mr Miagi) is on point with his training - trust the training.
    Wax on, wax off. Paint the fence. Run a great session.

Session went superbly well and lifted my confidence no end.

4x200 (37/39/39/37) off 200 jog and then the 3m started.

I started off too fast (as is customary) but doing this after a set of 200's does that too you.
    I found a comfortably hard pace for the tempo and tried to stick to that.
    The route for the 3m part was from Farmleigh back upto C'Knock Gate and back down to the Furze/OS road and finishing just on the acres.

Found this really comfortable and had to slow myself down at times as I was in the groove.
    the 3m part finished in 18:20 (6:07 ave pace).

Took a 3min slow shuffle and started into the next bit. 2x1m off 1 min.

This went remarkably well as I found myself slowing myself down a lot.
    Finished the 1st one at 6:00min/miles and took another 1min shuffle.
    The 2nd 1mT finished in 6:04.

Another 1min shuffle and onto the next 4x200's. (38/37/36/35).

Really happy with that session - a good confidence builder.

11m for the day.

Saturday
    5.2m down in the PP with 8x20s strides.

The large amount of strides in this plan is unbelievable - when you have tired legs, the last thing you want to do is run fast.
    But after a couple of strides, the legs feel great again.

Sunday:

Club run in the PP - as usual a good group started and we stayed together for about 2-3m before a few of us broke away going up the Khyber.
    After 5m we had a bit of a wait for the 8:45 group - we'll need to time that better so we're not waiting for more that 1-2 mins.

Through the Glen and up the S Bends and doing the Khyber for a 2nd time at a good clip made the legs burn a bit, we kep[t the pace strong, pushing it to MP for about 3 miles to the end.

I then done another 2+ miles (very easy) to bring the total to 16.

16m @ 7.24

Just under 62m for the week. Another good quality week.

Looking fwd to reading about the exploits in the 3 B's. (Ballycotton, Bohermeen & Barcelona).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've a fence that needs painting if you're at a loose end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

adrian522 wrote: »

Bigger & Better - I've a house that needs the exterior painted!!!;)

PS Great training!!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Younganne wrote: »
    Bigger & Better - I've a house that needs the exterior painted!!!;)

PS Great training!!

Haha thanks guys.

Anne - enough about the painting - what about waxing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Haha thanks guys.

Anne - enough about the painting - what about waxing ;)

Apparently TbL has an ar$e that needs waxing if that's what you're offering!!

Monday: A lap of the PP - following Sundays LFR (long fast run) the legs felt in good shape and I was coasting along at 7:30's which surprised me.
    I made sure to go up the hill at the Fort & took in the Upper Glen Road and the Glen - all prep for the GIR which I've signed up for. Hate the race, but I'm doing it.

Done the 7m and started off into the 10x20s strides - taking a 1 min walk/jog back.

8.5m @ 7.45

Tuesday:
    session was for 6(200/200/400) with full recoveries.

Done my 2m warmup - legs felt tired but I knew it was normal and the session would be ok.
    Seen Sean Hehir again as I reached the Furze road - that lad just wont leave me alone. If he's there next week, I'm calling the Garda.

It seems crazy, but the 400m stretch between the 2 bollards next to the John McHugh memorial on the Furze road is my goto place now for this speedwork
    I ran 6 miles today (again) between the 2 bollards, inc the recoveries - my kids think I'm crazy. (And I think Ososlo is mad for running small loops).

Anyway - the session went well - the 200's make it a bit easier than last weeks 10x400's - only 6 400's in total today.

for the record the splits were:

1. 38 / 38 / 75
    2. 35 / 36 / 75
    3. 37 / 38 / 76
    4. 35 / 37 / 78 (avoiding a dog)
    5. 35 / 37 / 74
    6. 37 / 38 / 71 *Alpha male rep

Splits very consistent. I jogged a lot of the recoveries - I walked most of last weeks.
    On the last 400 rep I pushed the middle bit (where I normally fade a bit) and surprised myself with the split time.

One positive thing about this speedwork is that it "normalises" the mind to seeing a pace with a 4 as the 1st digit - not that I'll see it too often, mind you. But it makes 5k pace seem slow by comparison - its one for the mind games when I need them.

9.87m + the 0.13 going around my car = 10.00 miles for the day.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Apparently TbL has an ar$e that needs waxing if that's what you're offering!!

No chance - After I rebuffed his last advances, he left midrace and left me all alone in a strange city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

No chance - After I rebuffed his last advances, he left midrace and left me all alone in a strange city :)

"Rebuffed"

You told me it wouldn't need to be rebuffed after you waxed and buffed it once :)

Great stuff going on here lately

TbL

Wednesday: lap of the Park again - held off on the strides today.

7.3m @ 8.20

Thursday: Jogged up to Porterstown park, done a lap or so - 8 20s strides and home.
    Nutin' spectacular........

5m

Friday: Session: 6x1m@Tempo off 1 min with 4x200.
    I was thinking of doing this on the GIR route, but the wind was giving me other ideas.
    I hmm'd and hawww'd about the best location to do this - raging that I wasn't part of a Gym as a treadie session would have been perfect today.

Decided during the warm up :eek: to turn right rather than left and go to the PP.
    Just under a 3m WU with some strides and I set off - aim was to do the GIR route.

1st mile was grand, wind mainly behind me on the North road - 6.07 pace

2nd Mile: mainly into a firece headwind - brought me to the Khyber - 6:20 pace and working for it.

3rd mile: Relative ease going down the Khyber and turned onto Military hill and felt the full force of the hill and the head wind. - 6:14 pace (but a mile of 2 halves)

4th Mile: Had the S bends to recover and then up part of the upper Glen Road - again into a headwind. 6:27 pace.

5th Mile: Finish off the Upper glen road and down the Glen - back up the opposite side - effort levels reached the red level and I stopped for 15 secs or so at the top of the climb. Got back on the horse and finished out.
    6:34 pace and struggling.

6th Mile: What a difference a flat surface and a tail wind makes. Gliding along the Furze, before turning into another headwind up Chesterfield.
    6.28 pace - another mile of 2 halves.

The 1 minute recoveries flew in on each rep, but were much needed.

4x200 on the path by Farmleigh - between 38-40s for each one.

Nicely Boll!xed afterwards.

total: 12 miles

Edit:
    I have a wedding the weekend of the Dunshaughlin 10k - $hit - how do I get them to break up??

Saturday: I had left the car at the Anglers Rest on Friday night, so jogged down and through the park to pick it up.

4.13@8.25

Sunday: The JD plan called for 10 miles at MP.
    I was out (again) on Sat night and had purposely left the car at the Hole in the Wall to aid in my strategy of minimising the miles into the headwind for the Sunday.

Didn't get out until 10'ish on Sunday morning (coffee but no food) and took a long route to Porterstown Park for a 2m warm up.
    Started the MP section with 2 mile laps of Porterstown and then back past my house and onto the Park.
    The wind was side on for this stretch - about 4m.

I had a plan that if the wind was too much I'd break it down to 4/3/2/1 or even 2x5 if needed, so once I got past the 5m mark, I was committed to finishing it out.
    Slight wobble at the 5m mark, I dropped my gloves (very wet gloves) and had to go back for them, which ruined any bit of momentum that I had.
    Got it back after a while and when I hit the PP I was confident of finishing it out. Stiff breeze on the OS road, but got through it and finished the 10m on the Conynham conynginham road, near Park Gate Street. :)

My plan for the car meant I only had a 2m cooldown jog to pick it up, rather than a 4m jog home. Happy days. Happy wet days.
    Totally forgot to do the 6 strides afterwards.

10m MP section:
    6.35/39/40/48/43/48/38/42/40/44

14.5m @ 7.07 pace

61.5m for the week.

Monday: Legs felt surprisingly good despite the tempo and MP runs over the weekend - along with the debauchery of St Patricks weekend (I done him proud).
    Skipped around the park listening to a rerun of the Ed Withlock interview on M.Talk.
    8x20s strides at the end.

7.50m @ 7:50 pace.

Tuesday: After a poor nights sleep on Monday night, I wasn't looking fwd to any type of run today, but as is becoming increasingly clear to me, there is no real correlation to feeling tired and how I run. I think I read KC saying something similar on his log.
    Just under 2m warm up inc some strides and I set off on the session - 2x4min/3x3min/2x2min.

This is my 1st v02 session in a while, so I was wondering how I'd go - found it tough but doable.
    Aim was for 5:40-5:45 pace on all reps.

2x4mins (3min R): 5:44 / 5:39
    3x3mins (2min R): 5:39/5:55*/5:37 (*dogs and people)
    2x2mins (1min R): 5:43 / 5:40

Phase 3 of JD starts next week, a staple of v02 intervals and Tempos with MP runs every 2nd week.

Dunboyne 4m on Sunday - its all part of the process - be good to get a marker on where I am.

Wednesday

Didn't run.

Ate about 7 biscuits.

I feel fat.
    I reckon I put on 3 stone yesterday and I've lost all my fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Wednesday

Didn't run.

Ate about 7 biscuits.

I feel fat.
    I reckon I put on 3 stone yesterday and I've lost all my fitness.

Big biscuits!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hope the Ronseal is well topped up for the sun in Dunboyne tomorrow.

#runlikefcuk!!

• Advertisement

Thursday: easy run down to the Park and back - 8x20sec strides.

6.2 miles @ 8.09

Friday: Parked at Farmleigh and ran to The Run Hub (legs felt fantastic today) where the ever helpful Sarah went through about 6 pairs of racers with me
    I eventually settled on Adizero Adios.
    I dumped the DS Racers in the bin and wore the Adidas out.

5.0m @ 7:37

Saturday: 3.7m shakeout and some strides. Legs felt tired and heavy - even after the strides.

Then spent the day standing at 2 GAA games watching my girls and then off to HQ to see the Dubs take the 35th in a row.

A couple of glasses of wine and a Chinese at 10pm is not ideal race preparation - but it was damn nice.

Sunday: After bringing the mother for breakfast and consuming 4 mugs of coffee in an effort to move the Chinese (.......sorry) I made my way to Dunboyne.
    Registration was seamless enough - the lady registering me seen my San Seb top and mentioned to another lady who had done the race. Got me wondering if that was Kabulxa (SP) but didn't want to ask.

My warm up was not as smooth as I'd have liked, a bit punctuated by meeting people, toilet stops (....sorry again) and dodging the crowds.
    I got a good set of long strides in by the start line and took my place alongside RayCun who I knew would be close today (as always).

We were set off and I went through the plan for the race.
    I broke it into 5 segments and I was in the 1st segment.
    Keep the 1st mile constant - dont rush off at stupid pace. The people ahead will come back to you.

About half a mile in, I had the 1st decision to make as a gap was appearing - I bridged the gap, which caused the 1st mile to be faster than planned, but it was a necessary move to cover the gap.

Mile 1: 5:46

Mile 2 was my Segment 2. A long stretch along the bypass. Dont let it beat you - stay in control and dont lose the race here - I used it to overtake some groups ahead.
    Pick a target ahead - stay behind them for a bit, overtake and repeat.

Mile 2: 5:51

Right - onto segment 3 - the mile into the village and to the school. use the crowd - don't get isolated - cover the gaps.
    Managed to take a few places again.
    At this stage I hadn't been overtaken in the race bar the starting 200-300m.
    Crowds in the village were great - got a few shouts from people I knew.

legs still feeling good - I was doing the maths in my head on what was needed to PB - helps pass the time :)

Mile 3: 5:48

I went through 5k in about 18:00 - my 3rd fastest 5k ever :) and felt in good shape, but was working for it.
    By no means easy, but turning the course into segments was helping me.
    The 4th segment was the 3m mark to the turn back near the startline - about 1000m. I had broken this into 2 as I feared the wind would be in my face on this segment - but it was a tail wind thankfully.

There were 2 ladies ahead of me and I managed to overtake them both on this stretch - but I was isolated now. The next person ahead was MSB's leading lady and she was about 20secs ahead.
    I got a shout from AGYG at this stage.

I turned the corner into my 5th and final segment but didn't look back to see how much of a gap I had. 600m left to the finish.
    I was hurting now and the demons were shouting loudly at this stage.
    Into the village and the crowds were shouting, I could hear the commentator calling the times - i turned the final corner and put in the final, surge as I heard someone shout about a Bros Pearse runner behind me - I wasn't letting the Sisters get one over on me (as it turned out it wasn't Ray) - I crossed the line about 15 secs behind my MSB team mate and a good few seconds on the next runner.

Mile 4: 5:47

Overall Time: 23:18 - a 34 sec PB on 2 years ago - 6th O40 and 46th overall.

A decent 3m warm down - bringing my week to 40m

Delighted with my splits, how I managed the course and how I raced the race.
    It surpassed my expectations as I have only done 1 or 2 V02 type sessions - so I know further improvement will come.

A great race, a very flat course and great that it goes through the village 3 times. Well recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well raced, definitely the right decision to bridge that gap in the first mile. SOS, the BP runner behind you is a decent runner, good scalp to take.

Sunday: After bringing the mother for breakfast and consuming 4 mugs of coffee in an effort to move the Chinese (.......sorry) I made my way to Dunboyne.
    Registration was seamless enough - the lady registering me seen my San Seb top and mentioned to another lady who had done the race. Got me wondering if that was Kabulxa (SP) but didn't want to ask.

My warm up was not as smooth as I'd have liked, a bit punctuated by meeting people, toilet stops (....sorry again) and dodging the crowds.
    I got a good set of long strides in by the start line and took my place alongside RayCun who I knew would be close today (as always).

We were set off and I went through the plan for the race.
    I broke it into 5 segments and I was in the 1st segment.
    Keep the 1st mile constant - dont rush off at stupid pace. The people ahead will come back to you.

About half a mile in, I had the 1st decision to make as a gap was appearing - I bridged the gap, which caused the 1st mile to be faster than planned, but it was a necessary move to cover the gap.

Mile 1: 5:46

Mile 2 was my Segment 2. A long stretch along the bypass. Dont let it beat you - stay in control and dont lose the race here - I used it to overtake some groups ahead.
    Pick a target ahead - stay behind them for a bit, overtake and repeat.

Mile 2: 5:51

Right - onto segment 3 - the mile into the village and to the school. use the crowd - don't get isolated - cover the gaps.
    Managed to take a few places again.
    At this stage I hadn't been overtaken in the race bar the starting 200-300m.
    Crowds in the village were great - got a few shouts from people I knew.

legs still feeling good - I was doing the maths in my head on what was needed to PB - helps pass the time :)

Mile 3: 5:48

I went through 5k in about 18:00 - my 3rd fastest 5k ever :) and felt in good shape, but was working for it.
    By no means easy, but turning the course into segments was helping me.
    The 4th segment was the 3m mark to the turn back near the startline - about 1000m. I had broken this into 2 as I feared the wind would be in my face on this segment - but it was a tail wind thankfully.

There were 2 ladies ahead of me and I managed to overtake them both on this stretch - but I was isolated now. The next person ahead was MSB's leading lady and she was about 20secs ahead.
    I got a shout from AGYG at this stage.

I turned the corner into my 5th and final segment but didn't look back to see how much of a gap I had. 600m left to the finish.
    I was hurting now and the demons were shouting loudly at this stage.
    Into the village and the crowds were shouting, I could hear the commentator calling the times - i turned the final corner and put in the final, surge as I heard someone shout about a Bros Pearse runner behind me - I wasn't letting the Sisters get one over on me (as it turned out it wasn't Ray) - I crossed the line about 15 secs behind my MSB team mate and a good few seconds on the next runner.

Mile 4: 5:47

Overall Time: 23:18 - a 34 sec PB on 2 years ago - 6th O40 and 46th overall.

A decent 3m warm down - bringing my week to 40m

Delighted with my splits, how I managed the course and how I raced the race.
    It surpassed my expectations as I have only done 1 or 2 V02 type sessions - so I know further improvement will come.

A great race, a very flat course and great that it goes through the village 3 times. Well recommended.

Very well run A. I remember that second mile from my previous attempt, on a freezing and very windy day in 2013; that was the worst of it. JC won that day, lapping me as he was coming into the finish. Hopefully I'll be back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Very well raced AMK!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done, great race A. Congrats on the PB.

Monday: Enthused by my 4m race performance the day previous, I set out for a motivational recovery run.
    yep - 7:30/m pace for 7-8 miles is recovery pace, I felt especially recovered going at 6:30 pace up the Furry Glen hill.

10 strides at the end.

9 miles in total.

Tuesday: A proper recovery run - 5 miles @ 8:34 pace.

I've let my core work go in the last 2 weeks - I've been in a good place with it for a couple of months - so need to get back on that horse.
    I'll start tomorrow ;)

Wednesday: Session: 6x1200 off 3 min

These week sees the start of JD's phase 3 - weekly intervals, tempos alternating with tempo intervals and a dose of 10 mile MP runs every 2nd week. Lovely. I've been looking fwd to it. Really.

I was curious to see how the legs would be tonight and was surprised.
    Plan was for each 1200 in 4:15 - which was 5:40 pace.
    All done on the Acres - so a good mix of into the wind and tailwinds - in fairness it wasn't that bad tonight.

2 mile warm up going down the North Road to the Acres, a few strides and I was good to go.

rep/ time / Pace
    1. 4:14 / 5:41
    2. 4:11 / 5.38
    3. 4:13 / 5:40
    4. 4:10 / 5:35
    5. 4:15 / 5:43
    6. 4:11 / 5:37

Happy with the splits - felt good throughout with effort levels - started every one too fast and had to hold back a bit, so still need to focus on pacing.

2.3m CD back to the car (inc a lap of the car)

10 miles

Thursday: Not feeling the love today - bit of a slog was this.

5.4m@8:38 pace - 6 strides.

Interestingly, JD has his 2nd session of the week the day after the 1st session.
    I'm sure he had not got a 44 yr Auld man in mind when he was designing that.

I would say that it would be a surefire way for me to be injured again - so I'll keep the same cadence that the sessions have been at.

Now - about that corework - oh yes - tomorrow.

Friday: Another JD session - 6x1m Tempo - 1min recovery.

Following last weeks race, my VDOT took a jump meaning T pace is now 6:10.
    I decided to do the 6x1m over the GIR route again - 'cos it was such great craic last time :)

A 2m warm up brought me to Chesterfield Ave.

Mile 1: 6:01 - around the North Road. Stiff enough breeze. Finished at the intersection where the GIR turns right.

Mile 2: 6:14 - was to the Khyber/Acres area and was into a stiff headwind.

Mile 3: 5:57 - Down the Khyber and up Military hill - I pushed hard on the hill.

Mile 4: 6:06 - A recovery on the S-Bends and then up half of the Upper Glen Road.

Mile 5: 6:11 - Finish off the UGR and down into the Furry Glen and out the other side - always torture.

Mile 6: 6:10 - Upto the Furze and the long straight, turning up Chesterfield for 200m or so.

2.5m cool down - with a satisfied smile on my face.

Good improvement in the times and how I was feeling compared to doing this 2 weeks ago - although the wind was stiffer then.

10.8m for the day.

Tomorrow has a 10m@MP - according to my new VDOT - my new MP is 6:30 - which is a good chunk faster than 6:50's.
    I'll either split it into 2x5 or run the 10 at 6:40's-6:50's.

Finished off March with 247 miles - running 30/31 days.
    A new 4m PB in Dunboyne was my only race, by design.

Very happy with how the JD plan is going.

Saturday: 5m in the PP with 6x20s strides at the end - legs feeling good afterwards.
    Wifey is away in Lisbon - so I'm in the running for calor gas housewife of the year.

Sunday: JD Session / Long Run - 4E - 10 MP -

I was up at STUPID o'clock for this one due to Castleknock U14's reaching the Feile final this year - I had to get the long run done to leave for the match at 10:30.

Thankfully (!!!) a howling dog which apparently I only heard and now I think was a dream :) woke me at 6:35am.......on Sunday.............and I was thankful...........

Coffee, 2 pancakes and some 'movements' (sorry...ahem) later, I was out at 7:30am for this.

the 4m easy brought me to include 2 laps of Porterstown park where the birds and wildlife were in flow flow - glorious.
    I then made it to the canal for the MP section.

Whats funny here is that I've ran the canal a few times from Clonsilla to Maynooth - and this morning I had a memory of flat tarmac most of the way!
    Nope - not there - trail, wet grass, roots, stones and potholes everywhere from Clonsilla to Confey.

Wasn't conducive to fast running and I was trying to keep 6:30's for most of the way.

The plan was to run to 5m to Louisa Bridge and then turn back for 5m.

1st 5 went ok, but the surface meant I was really working hard for the pace - harder than I anticipated - there was 1m from Confey to Louisa Bridge where the trail was a proper trail.

(6: 36/31/33/34/40)

I had a short stop at Louisa Bridge - otherwise know as a wee stop - before turning back in the opposite direction.

I didn't fancy the remainder of the run to be done on that sort of trail, so I veered off at Captains hill at Confey and and ran to Leixlip village and towards Catherines Park.

Somewhat of a bad decision as Catherines park is very hilly in places and I was working hard at a slower pace as a result.

2nd 5 were 6: 37/45/45/55*/48

* GPS issues in St Catherines park & hills. Did I mention it was hilly?

Finished the 10m back on the Canal at Lucan and took a couple of minutes lull - again smiling contentedly to myself.
    I'm amazed that in all my Marathon training - running 10m at MP in a non race situation was something I would/could never do.

And I've done it twice in a 10k plan.

3m home for a total of 17 miles - longest run since San Seb :)

17.14 @ 7:10 pace (4@7:50 / 10@6:40 / 3@7:56)

62.4m for the week - longest week since October.
    Possibly one of my most intense weeks of training - but theres more intense weeks to come.

• Advertisement

Saturday: 5m in the PP with 6x20s strides at the end - legs feeling good afterwards.
    Wifey is away in Lisbon - so I'm in the running for calor gas housewife of the year.
    Somewhat of a bad decision as Catherines park is very hilly in places and I was working hard at a slower pace as a result.

2nd 5 were 6: 37/45/45/55*/48

* GPS issues in St Catherines park & hills. Did I mention it was hilly?

62.4m for the week - longest week since October.
    Possibly one of my most intense weeks of training - but theres more intense weeks to come.

Very much so. SCP is a park I like, and I'll hopefully run there more often in the summer. Some excellent work being done here, seems like JD is good for you ;)

Advertisement