Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Monday: Busy day on Monday so only got 1 run in - nice recovery pace.
    5x 20s strides at the end for a bit of zip.

6.26m loop of the PP - 8.38 pace

Tuesday: Another loop of the park, easy pace today.

7m @ 7.47/mile

Wednesday: Another Jack Daniels session.

Legs were tired, so was wondering how this session would go.
    I was ready to amend on the go if neccessary.

5 mile easy to start with (this takes a bit of getting used to) - had to slow down the easy pace a few times.

The original session was 3mT/2mT/1mT but I still felt fatigue in the legs so wanted to balance it a bit.
    I changed it slightly to an easier - 2x2m tempo and then 1m tempo with 2m MP at the end - so 7 miles of work as opposed to 6, but mentally easier I think.

just under 3m home brought the session to 14.5m.

Paces for the quality parts were:

2mT: Target 12:30 / Actual 12:27 (2 min R)
    2mT: Target 12:30 / Actual 12:11 (2 min R)
    1mT: Target 6:15 / Actual 6:14 (1 min R)
    2MP: Target 13:00 / Actual 12:55

Felt a lot better following this session than I did on Sunday - I think the fatigue following the 10k is lifting finally.

Regarding the fatigue - I am making a bigger effort to eat carbs or at least periodise (is that a word?) when I eat them.
    I had went on a big salad buzz for a while and eating less carbs.

14.5m @ 7.16

Thursday:
    Went out for a slow recovery 4m in the park today and seen Overpronator up ahead so caught up with him and ran a few miles 'catching up' before going our separate ways at the Military fort.

As I approached the Glen, I met a club mate and done a few miles with him, before meeting another club mate!

So 4 became 6 became 8 became 10 :)

10m @8:02/mile

Lifes gonna get more complicated as the ickle princess is following in the older princesses boots by making the Dublin U15 training panel :)

Friday: 6m recovery run around the pitches in Porterstown - lots of flying yokes about a bit of rain needed to get rid of them!

6m @ 8.27

Saturday: 7 miles around the PP - 8x30sec strides at the end. (after a 6 hour round trip to & from Spiddal to get my youngest for her 1st training session with the U15 DDS.)

7m@ 8.07

Sunday: I was out at St Annes Bohernabreena on Sunday morning by 8:15am :( - thankfully my older girls training was cancelled due to most of the team going to Longtitude!!

Went up to try to find the water works, but obviously took the wrong turn as 3 miles later I'm still climbing :(.
    Legs in a bit of a jock and tired at this stage - so gave up and went back down the 'hill' - followed it to the Dodder valley and over the footbridge to Tymon Park - done a lap of that, before doubling back on myself.

I had planned to do 17-18 miles but got a call to say my daughter was finished - ended up with 15.88.

Fairly tired legs and happy to finish - not too sure I'd have enjoyed doing 2 more miles.

15.88@ 7.42.mile

my week finished up at 66.6m should of ran a little bit more.

Probably only get 1 session done next week due to my holidays starting on Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ha - I've gone up that wrong turn myself - the sign for Bohernabreena cemetery is kind of hard to resist, and jaypers, what a hill awaits. Up at the waterworks myself today by coincidence, making sure to double check Google Maps before leaving the house!

DDS now training in Spiddal? Not exactly parent-friendly, wha?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ha - I've gone up that wrong turn myself - the sign for Bohernabreena cemetery is kind of hard to resist, and jaypers, what a hill awaits. Up at the waterworks myself today by coincidence, making sure to double check Google Maps before leaving the house!

DDS now training in Spiddal? Not exactly parent-friendly, wha?

Nah :):p - shes in the Gaeltacht, so we brought her back for this one as she'll miss the next 2 due to holliers.

That hill mountain killed me - Quads sore today from coming down it.

my week finished up at 66.6m should of ran a little bit more.

And the attendance for the Dubs match last Sunday was 66,666 :eek:

• Advertisement

Monday: Easy loop of the Park (well half of it) and 7x20s strides.

7m@8:13 pace

Tuesday:
    Ran down to the park and another loop - before running home. Legs felt tired but strong - kept the pace ticking over. I normally do a session on Tuesdays, but with only 4 days running this week, I'd leave it to Thursday.

12m @ 7:33

Wednesday: This was a very strange run - normally I dont like recovery runs - but this was possibly my most enjoyable run in a long time.
    I went out in the rain around the pitches of Porterstown Park - not looking at pace, but feeling like I was running at 20 mins/mile. No earphones today.

Stopped after 6miles or so as I knew I had a big session the next day, but could have ran forever at that pace, despite the fatigue.

6.2m @ 8:29/mile

Thursday: This run was playing on my mind for a while.
    As I'm going on holidays on Friday for 2 weeks, I wanted to get a 'quality' long run in - preferably 20m - but 18 would do if I was adding some quality to it.

I went with a Daniels'esque workout with 6m easy followed by 4/3/2/1 miles at MP (6:3x) with 4/3/2 mins recovery.

Despite wanting to stop after 4miles as my head was telling me I was fatigued (as I've been going on about it so much, I think I was convincing myself) - I didn't stop and done a nice confidence building workout.

6m easy: nice and relaxed up to Porterstown and down to the Phoenix Park.

4m section: 6:30/6:34/6:28/6:33
    Down Farmleigh, back up to Castleknock gate and down the North Road - stopping just at the water tap by the polo grounds :)

3m section: 6:42/6:21/6:36
    I was going to do laps of the polo grounds, but the wind was terrible there, so left after a mile and went back to the North Road, down by the Wellington Monument and out of the park at the Gate.

2m Section: 6:34/6:35 - Up Conyngham Road into the breeze - this was toughest section.

1m Section: 6:30 - Down half mile with a tail wind and final half mile into the breeze to shorten the run home.

4m easy home - this was tiring as its mostly uphill all the way, but by no means a slog which I was happy with.

Total: 20.5m - Longest run since last Marathon cycle and a good 10 miles at MP included.

Delighted with this run and how I felt afterwards. Yes tired, but still able to go shopping with my youngest for last bits and pieces and walk the dog later on :)

I had been fearing that the 19 week 10k plan I was on and then going straight into a Marathon plan would leave me overtrained - so I was hoping to make it to this week in 1 piece, knowing that I had a relatively easy 2 weeks coming up as I'm away on Holidays (will still be running :) ).
    So, despite the fatigue, I managed to execute this run very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Nice Thursday Session there A.

Enjoy the Holidays :)

So - back from holidays, well refreshed as I spent 2 weeks just doing easy running, no sessions or even strides.

12 weeks to DCM - seems like perfect timing for the 12 week P&D, coupled with the 12 week Steve Way sessions - thats the plan for DCM.

Recap on the last 2 weeks:

Friday 21& Sat 22 - No running.
    Sunday 23rd: 5.4m in sunny Spain. Week finished with 51.5 miles

1st week on Hols was good - the area I'm staying in (Nerja) has a lot of hills - gradual hills - but at times they felt a killer in close to 30 degrees heat.

I chose a similar route most days along the main road which had a good footpath - the odd meander here and there, but mostly the same.

Week 1 went like: M8.5 / T4 / W10 / T4 / F9 / SRest / S14 - Long run in the sun. (50 miles)
    Week 2 was: M6.2 / Trest/ W10 / T4.5 / F10 / STravel Home

Sunday long run
    I got home Midnight on Sat night and went for a long run on Sunday which ended up being 20 miles - not planned, but I felt good and the rain was welcome, believe it or not.
    After 10 miles I done 2 miles at MP to tire the legs and by mile 15 I was regretting doing that - I think the travel was catching up with me.

I gel and a mouthful of water at the polo grounds tap was enough.

20.1m @ 7.33 pace (Happy that every mile was under 8 min/miles and there was no slog at the end)

51 miles for the week.

Very happy with the training over the last few weeks - certainly more miles than I thought I get in.

2 good sessions this week - the 2nd one being the RnR Half - I plan to do that as a session - either a 4x3m MP run or a progression to Tempo pace - haven't decided yet.

Monday: Was out on Sun night and left the car at the pub - so ran down (the long way) to pick it up.

4.4m @ 8:15 pace.

Tuesday: Kept to the trails in the PP - nice few miles on the grass, pace felt ok.
    10x20s strides at the end - I really needed these. The legs had been feeling tired on the run, but I think it was more so in a state of 'one pace' for the last few weeks.

The strides really woke them up and reminded me why they are important. Will include more of these.

8.85 miles.

Wednesday:

The 1st of the Steve Way sessions. Was really looking forward to these, but also apprehensive as I haven't done tempo pace in a few weeks.

As a starter, I threw in 4x200m to further wake the legs and they done as they intended.

The 3x10 mins went well - the 1st was the toughest as the wind was in my face for parts. I chose a route that was very forgiving for the next 2 sets- the important thing was getting them done.

All reps averaged about 6:05/mile pace.

Close to a 3m WU and a 3m CD brought this to a decent session.

11.77 miles.

Thursday: Wanted a decent MLR tonight, so set off to the park, done a bit of a lap and back home.
    Legs were tired today, but felt ok - listened to a very funny interview with McAteer, Given & Quinn - them boys will end up with their own show based on the media they've done this week.

12.5m @ 7:40 pace.

Friday: Easy recovery miles today - 5.6m@8.23

Saturday: Another easy day - included 6x20s strides.
    6.4 miles

Sunday:
    With the RnR Half Marathon today, I wanted to do a decent MP session as pat of it.

My last 3 weeks mileage has averaged only 50miles (due to holidays) and I was starting the day out at 50 miles - so I knew the last few miles would be interesting!

I decided to do the HM as a 2x6m session with 1m steady.

I Parked at Farmleigh and ran the 5.6m to the start line, inc some strides.

Met the clubmates and got a decent place in the corral.

1st couple of miles felt tough as the body was adapting to the pace, but I settled into it.
    The climb at Christchurch was short enough, the climb at the hospital was also short, but both impact you.

A guy comes along side me going through the hospital and say "Alan isn't it?" - I say yes and he said "the tan gave it away" :):) - nice to finally meet you Ferris.

1st 6 miles: 6:27 / 6:38 / 6:30 / 6:43 / 6:26 / 6:30

Coming down the Conyngham road, we hit the 6m mark and I slow down a bit and take my 1st and only gel.
    My recovery mile was completed in 6:56 pace - but it felt much easier.

Mile 8 started and we enter the park and I couldn't get back into the rhythm I was in previously - the gradual incline of Chesterfield and the rising temperature starting to make the efforts rise a bit.
    I maintain a Marathon Effort - not wanting to push too hard and definitely not wanting to race it - this meant the pace dropped a bit - but I was ok with that as the effort was there and I was 20 miles up on last 3 weeks :)

2nd 6 miles: 6:39 / 6:46 / 6:28 / 6:43 / 6:44 / 6:41

I came in at 1:26:57 (Garmin) for my 2nd fastest HM ever :) - not too bad for a session!

Good to meet MrDrak & Killerz afterwards as well as catch up with Ferris who ran brilliantly despite been 2 weeks on the beer. Great support from AQuinn and AGYG on the course.

2 of my club-mates both broke 80 - so a good day all around.

Another 1.3m cool down brought me 20.1m for the day and 70 for the week.

Happy with how I executed today and looking back at previous similar HM's done at MP - I'm happy with the effort with 10 weeks left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

"I Parked at Farmleigh and ran the 5.6m to the start line, inc some strides.",

As I said yesterday WTF :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

A guy comes along side me going through the hospital and say "Alan isn't it?" - I say yes and he said "the tan gave it away" :):) - nice to finally meet you Ferris.............

He said he could smell the San Topez from 200m back. Also said that you missed a bit on the back of your calf. That's not like you;)

Decent LR/session. Fairplay.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    He said he could smell the San Topez from 200m back. Also said that you missed a bit on the back of your calf. That's not like you;)

Decent LR/session. Fairplay.

Thanks for that, the rain on Monday caused a bit of streaking too, so I've reapplied - all topped up now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Great support from AQuinn and AGYG on the course.

Not sure who was with aquinn but it wasn't me :p. Well done though, I hate that course with a vengeance :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

aquinn twice? 6 & 11 miles.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

aquinn twice? 6 & 11 miles.....

Yes, forget to mention that at your peril...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Yes, that was me twice. I had wanted to get up to Chesterfield for mile 8 and back to 11 but the 10km finish blocked me.

I assumed you'd know Ferris for years.

Great run.

Not sure who was with aquinn but it wasn't me :p. Well done though, I hate that course with a vengeance :rolleyes:.

I knew you weren't together - sure you were going mad on your bike.

I knew you weren't together - sure you were going mad on your bike.

Moi? Sure I'm a sedate and quiet supporter :D:D

The ferris story is hilarious, likewise would have assumed you both knew each other already.

Monday: recovery swim run - horrible conditions to run in, but glad I done it 'cos others were big girls blouses and didn't run :)

5.7m @ 8:22/mile

Tuesday: Wow - quads a bit sore today - maybe I went a bit harder than I thought in the HM??
    Was in abbotstown all day at the GAA center of excellence was my oldest was representing Dublin in the U17 blitz, which they won handily enough. Despite being on my feet from 11 til 5 - I still fancied a run.
    Nice little run down to the Park and back - 6x20s strides at the end and some stretching.

9.1m @ 7:50 pace

Wednesday: Interesting run today. Body felt knackered.
    I went out and ran down to the PP - my usual 2 mile warm up, I then decided I was tired but wasn't too sure if I was too tired for a session - so ran an additional 2 miles to see if I was tired :):)

The watch buzzed on 4m and I started into the session - if I felt crap after 0.5m, I'd call it and just run easy.
    Managed to do 2 miles at tempo pace which was the plan and it got me to the Polo grounds for the next part of the session.

5x2mins at 5k pace with 1min recovery - a couple of laps of the Polo grounds, wind was a right b'stard but got them done.
    Was great to run at that pace again - I doubt I could get near a sub 18 at the moment!!

Next portion was another 2m tempo - but it was up Chesterfield into a headwind - so I decided to break it into 2x1m with a 1min recovery - worked a charm - still very tough though - legs and body still tired I reckon.

WU - 4 miles
    2m Tempo: 6:08/6:11
    5x2 mins: ave 5:45 for the 5 - a tad disappointed with that - should be 5:35
    2x1m T: 6:19/6:07 - headwind
    CD 2 mile

total of 12.2m for the session and jaysus was I sweating buckets.
    Very happy that I got a session done, given the levels of fatigue at the start.

Thursday: planned 13 but only done 10 as I was feeling tired and with my long run on Sat this week rather than Sunday - I didn't want to push it too much. Nice loop of the park.

I'm happy that running on tired legs isnt a slog - I know I'm tired, but the legs still feel somewhat strong.

10m @ 7:53

• Advertisement

Friday: a few miles around the park and 6 20sec strides. Legs felt better after the strides.

6.15m

Saturday: Long run today, wasn't feeling it from mile 2-3 and certainly wasn't happy at mile 9 when I was saying to myself that I wasn't even half way :(

Kept at it and finished it out despite my phone & earphones constantly cutting out from mile 12.
    1 gel and a mouthful of water at mile 11 was all I had - felt fine afterwards.

20m @ 7:45 (2:35)

Sunday: the unger daughter was training in Tallaght today, so done a few miles around there.

4m @ 8:30 pace.

67m for the week.

Monday: Strange run - I forgot my watch, so turned on Strava on the phone and left it tick away while I listened to Movies and Booze (love Moncrieff) and part of the 2nd Capt Charlottesville episode - great listen.
    Anyway - I knew the distances of my routes and after what should have been 3 miles, I checked the phone to see that I had actually done 1 mile at 24 min/mile pace :) so I put it away and ignored it.

Running 'naked' makes it a strange run as you have to judge your pace - it helps you to keep easy pace 'easy' - as its by feel and not whats on the watch.

I finished the run feeling fantastic and it was like I had only done 3-4 miles, but it was actually 10.

The phone told me I had run 79.40 mins - so must have been about 8 min miles.

Tuesday: P&D called for 15 miles and as I'm pimping it with some sessions, I knew it would be tough.

The session was 3x15 mins at a 'tad' faster than MP with 3 min recovery - I reckon that the scientific definition (in a running context) of a 'Tad' is 10 seconds. Target was 6:20-6:25'ish

I ran from home to the 15 Acres - so a good 4 miles before I started and done the 1st loop and a half. The wind was fine on the long straight but a bit all over the place on the other 3 sides.

I walked for 1 min then jogged for 2 and started again - the 2nd rep felt ok too - I was straining a bit with the wind on 1 side, but it was manageable - pace was a bit all over the place.

The 3rd loop brought me from the Acres back to near Farmleigh. 3rd loop was tough and I considered breaking it up into 2 segments, but I toughed it out - the pace dropped a bit as I was on a wet trail for a while.
    Finished up near Farmleigh as I met WW 1st and then caught up with another clubmate who was running home from work.
    2 and a bit miles cool down.

1st 15 mins: 6:17 ave
    2nd 15 mins: 6:19 ave
    3rd 15 mins: 6:24 ave

Finished with a total of 14 miles and absolutely soaked through all over with sweat - very humid out there.

I also figured out who the Strava person "Golden Fleece" is :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Monday: Strange run - I forgot my watch, so turned on Strava on the phone and left it tick away while I listened to Movies and Booze (love Moncrieff) and part of the 2nd Capt Charlottesville episode - great listen.
    Anyway - I knew the distances of my routes and after what should have been 3 miles, I checked the phone to see that I had actually done 1 mile at 24 min/mile pace :) so I put it away and ignored it.

Running 'naked' makes it a strange run as you have to judge your pace - it helps you to keep easy pace 'easy' - as its by feel and not whats on the watch.

I finished the run feeling fantastic and it was like I had only done 3-4 miles, but it was actually 10.

The phone told me I had run 79.40 mins - so must have been about 8 min miles.

Tuesday: P&D called for 15 miles and as I'm pimping it with some sessions, I knew it would be tough.

The session was 3x15 mins at a 'tad' faster than MP with 3 min recovery - I reckon that the scientific definition (in a running context) of a 'Tad' is 10 seconds. Target was 6:20-6:25'ish

I ran from home to the 15 Acres - so a good 4 miles before I started and done the 1st loop and a half. The wind was fine on the long straight but a bit all over the place on the other 3 sides.

I walked for 1 min then jogged for 2 and started again - the 2nd rep felt ok too - I was straining a bit with the wind on 1 side, but it was manageable - pace was a bit all over the place.

The 3rd loop brought me from the Acres back to near Farmleigh. 3rd loop was tough and I considered breaking it up into 2 segments, but I toughed it out - the pace dropped a bit as I was on a wet trail for a while.
    Finished up near Farmleigh as I met WW 1st and then caught up with another clubmate who was running home from work.
    2 and a bit miles cool down.

1st 15 mins: 6:17 ave
    2nd 15 mins: 6:19 ave
    3rd 15 mins: 6:24 ave

Finished with a total of 14 miles and absolutely soaked through all over with sweat - very humid out there.

I also figured out who the Strava person "Golden Fleece" is :):)

Seen you bombing through the Park on main rd heading back to whites gate. I was on the bike home from work. Waving like a lunatic but you were too far in the zone. Or maybe it was sweat :D. Flying it though you were

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Super stuff going on here A, fair play to you man, keep it up

Wednesday: short recovery run today with 6 strides at the end.

6m @ 8:35 pace

Thursday: Lovely meander around the PP today - the aim was to tire the legs for Saturdays MP session in the park (FD10).
    Legs felt great today - I'm feeling like I'm getting over the general high levels of fatigue I'e been feeling.

13m @ 7:43

Friday: 4m recovery @ 8:34 pace - bit of a struggle to get this done, inbetween a work meal and a GAA thing with my younger daughter.
    Stuffed after the meal, so running on a full stomach wasn't ideal.

Saturday: I was up early and had a bowl of porridge, which I think I had too late and my stomach still felt full from Friday (how much did I actually eat on Friday........)

Found parking ok at Whites Road and set off on a loop of 1 side of the park - found it very warm and was sweating buckets by 2 miles.
    Felt very tired during this warm up, but I think that was just my bodies natural defenses kicking in, knowing whats to come.
    Finished the warm up (very warm :) ) after 7 miles (7:50 pace)

Took my position in the pen, probably too far back and we were off. Mile 1 was a lot of jostling - I passed Olywn and made a comment to her about her nice buns (she bakes cakes for races ;) ).
    I was feeling the pace (marathon pace is 6:3x) already and knew it would be a tough day.

The S Bends are savage - I'd much rather race the old route - the S Bends appear like a mountain as you round the bend - then another one appears.
    I stopped to drink water at the 1 st station - cups are hopeless.

By mile 4 I knew I couldn't hold the pace, so aimed to keep it under 3 hour MP (6:50).
    I stopped at the next water station for 3 cups of water and then stopped again at the Lucozade station. just a few seconds each time - but that mile would be 7:08 and my slowest of the day.
    I had a strange pain in my stomach, kinda like a stitch, but also like a muscular pain.

The North road was tough and Chesterfield felt welcome, and I started to relax a bit at 6:40's, but when we turned into the Acres road, by Jaysus - it was a tough headwind.
    Turned up the Upper Glen Road, got a shout out from the DJ (hes a neighbour :) ) and kept going up the hill - pace was 6:50 for that mile.

At this stage, I hadn't taken any gels and was feeling tired and a bit light headed, the stomach was still at me so I slowed the pace a bit - No need to sprint finish on the furze as it was just a training session - a bloody tough training session.

Crossed the line in 67:41 - which was a bit of a disappointment as I was hoping for 66 or so - but given the week I had, I had 65m in the legs by the end of the race, the heat and my stomach - I think it was a good effort and it felt like Marathon effort.

Some of the clubmates had great runs too - one guy breaking 60 and another very close to it - great runs.

On the 1m cool down, my stomach totally felt like it seized up. Had to stop and stretch it a lot.

18m for the day - 2 hours 11 mins - 7:18 pace.

Sunday: recovery run in the park - plenty going on in there today.

5.16m @8:33

70.3m for the week. Highest weekly total since last October.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice week, and good session yesterday. Wish I'd approached it that way too, in retrospect.

How do you stretch your stomach? :pac:

Monday: I took a lunchtime journey to the run hub to pick myself up some new runners. I went with the Adidas Boston's in mind - but they were so tight on my foot - so picked up a pair of New Balance Vazee Pace instead. Loved the feel of them immediately.
    The ever helpful Sarah (I know shes reading this :) ) is an asset to that shop.

Done a few miles in them later on and thjey felt lovely - some of my other shoes dont have the responsive feeling that these have - very noticeable. Not too good in the rain though as I found out later in the run!

9m at about 7:45 pace including 6x20s strides.

Tuesday: Session - 10x5 mins progression off 1 min

This is the 4th session on the Steve Way playbook and I was wondering how it would go, given the session on Saturday.
    I had done a similar session last year at the same period in training and my fastest rep was 6:24 on the final rep.

I done a 4m warm up and done the reps on the Acres.
    The 1st few felt easy and it took a lot of effort to keep the pace down.
    By the 4th rep, I found myself working hard and by the 5th rep, my 1 min recoveries were very much walk recoveries.
    I neglected to take an additional 1min recovery after the 5th rep - I felt good so kept going.

The final 3 or so were tough as they were entering into 10k territory and the wind on the long straight on the Acres was playing havoc with pacing.

The last one was all about just getting it done - I set off too fast and could feel the burn with 3 mins left - but seen it out for a good finish.

2 miles cool down felt slow but was also at a decent clip (for a cool down).

Session:
    4m warm up - 7:45 pace.

Each 5 min rep pace.

6:33 / 6:30 / 6:25 / 6:20 / 6:16

6:16 / 6:10 / 6:01 / 5:55 / 5:48

2m cool down at 7:49.

Very happy with the execution of it, felt strong all the way through it.
    Looking at last years comparison, todays session was much better and the progression was a real solid progression from MP to 5k-10k pace.

15m @ 7:13 pace

Wednesday: A few miles around the PP at lunchtime - nice recovery pace mainly on grass.

6.65@8.22

Thursday:
    Ran from the house to the park, once in the park, I kept on the grass again - pace was decent enough despite the tired legs.

12.65m @ 7:27 pace.

Friday: Caught for time again on Friday - only time for a few miles locally.
    4.65@ 8:26 pace.

Saturday : The plan was for a cutback long run of 16 miles, After being in the P.Park so much, I had an idea of staying fairly local and trying to run in 5 parks - proper parks, not the grass covered roundabouts that Murph does :)

So - a mile around the park across from the house (Tir Na Nog), then up to Porterstown park, back over to the Millennium Park near Blanch Town Center and onto Hartstown Park. The plan was then to do St Catherines park - but I didn't actually get there.

As i was in Hartstown, I had done about 8 miles at this stage and a lap of the park and just as I was heading for the exit - Hartstown parkrun was starting.
    I had no barcode with me but a friend was there, so I jumped in and ran it :)

I had no intention of running 5k pace - I thought that tempo would be ok. So after about 1200m I found myself in 2nd position. The guy in front was my friend from Dunboyne, SD - I momentarily thought about pushing up on him and making a race of it, but thats not the main thing.
    Finished in 19:4x for a decent Tempo run after running 8 miles (6:16/6:21/6:19)

I done another lap of Hartstown park, before setting off for home for a total of 16 miles.

I wore my new runners, the New Balance Vazee Pace - they are a fast shoe - I know this 'cos they are yellow :)
    However, after about 10 miles, I could feel a blister underfoot and a lot of friction.

I had hoped these would be my marathon shoe, but now I dont think so. Back to square 1 and may have to just keep using the Nikes.

16.1m @ 7:36

Sunday: A busy day of GAA meant I didn't get a run completed - I could have went out later in the afternoon, but decided to take a rest day. 1st rest day in 30 days.

Finished the week with 64 miles and completed August with 295 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You weren't able to catch him were you! :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Interesting, no barcode and yet you appear in the results :p just as well your other friend from Dunboyne was down in Longford being first finisher there #DACROCK

Advertisement