Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Congratulations! Super racing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Brilliant racing and PB, well done! And cooling down with the Claw*, sure that must have been the highlight of your evening :)

*and DD of course

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

annapr wrote: »
    Brilliant racing and PB, well done! And cooling down with the Claw*, sure that must have been the highlight of your evening :)

*and DD of course

I was speaking to DD prior to the race when the Claw comes over to him to say hello, imagine that.

I kept nudging DD to let him know I was still there, but his eyes were locked onto the Claws (through the shades) - there was something going on there........a magnetism of sorts. I just quietly left to do my strides - I could hear their laughter in the background.

Then after the race as we (me, luke, DD, Yaboya) were going on a cool down, we exit the track and there's the claw outside - he makes a dash from his girlfriend asks DD if he's doing a cool down and we proceed to wait for him. Must have kept us 30 mins waiting, no word of a lie, but DD wouldn't move on without him.

They stayed shoulder to shoulder, stride for stride - laughing and frolicking like little sheep at each others jokes - the banter was flying between them.

Towards the end, it was getting slightly nauseating, I had enough and made my excuses and left.

But when the claw left later on, DD was all over me & Yaboya........

Bloody user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Super running and report!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great race A. Great cooldown too. :Lol:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

I was speaking to DD prior to the race when the Claw comes over to him to say hello, imagine that.

I kept nudging DD to let him know I was still there, but his eyes were locked onto the Claws (through the shades) - there was something going on there........a magnetism of sorts. I just quietly left to do my strides - I could hear their laughter in the background.

Then after the race as we (me, luke, DD, Yaboya) were going on a cool down, we exit the track and there's the claw outside - he makes a dash from his girlfriend asks DD if he's doing a cool down and we proceed to wait for him. Must have kept us 30 mins waiting, no word of a lie, but DD wouldn't move on without him.

They stayed shoulder to shoulder, stride for stride - laughing and frolicking like little sheep at each others jokes - the banter was flying between them.

Towards the end, it was getting slightly nauseating, I had enough and made my excuses and left.

Bloody user.

I've re-read this 5 or 6 times now and I'm still laughing !!

Wednesday: Got down to the PP after work unsure what distance I'd run. Decided to do a slow'ish MLR and very enjoyable it was too. Legs not too bad.

10m @ 8:21 pace

I finish May with 211 miles - which incidentally is 1 mile less than May '16 :)

I'm happy with how May has gone, with 2 races, both hitting my set targets (Sub 30 in Terenure and a PB in Dunboyne........did I ever mention I went Sub 29? ).

Thursday:
    Legs feeling a lot better than they did after Terenure (which took me an age to recover from) - so I set out on a trail run in the PP - keeping the pace easy. Follow it up with 6x20s strides - legs feeling great on these.

6.7m

Friday: Here's where it starts getting a bit stupid.

The club have a hill run planned on Saturday, so I decide to do a session on Friday - 'cos the hillrun isn't a session, right?
    I look to the 2nd Edit JD plan and there's a nice little session planned for this week - so I go with that.

4x200 / 2x400 / 3x1mT / 1x1k / 4x200. (I pre-programmed the watch and also wrote it on my hand!!)

Due to the Dunboyne race, the one where I went Sub 29 :) , my VDOT has increased again - so the paces become more challenging - but they should also be doable as my ability in increasing, I try to reason with myself.

I run down to the PP, do a few strides and stretches and begin the workout - using the Furze and OS roads.

4x200: Target: 38 - Actual: 38/40/39/39 (200 jog recovery)

2x400: Target: 77 - Actual: 78/79 (400 Jog Recovery)

3x1m: Target: 6:03 - Actual: 5:57/6:03/6:01 (1 min Recovery)

1x1k: Target: 3:27 - Actual: 3:26 (5:33 pace)

4x200: Target: 38 - Actual: 37/37/37/34

Fairly rinsed after this - sweating buckets.

With the WU & CD it came to 10.72 miles.

Saturday: Club Hill Run

With the hill run due o Saturday, I thought it would be a good idea to have a few beers on Friday night to help with my rehydration from the session - all great practice and the sort of stuff you read in all the articles about how to train & recover properly :):)

Thankfully I was up early enough and we set off to Djouce - the coach advises us to take the steeper wooded part on the initial few miles and my heart was in my mouth straight away.

Its a constant battle all the way up - I walk the final piece as the legs just stopped working. I'm tasting beer in my spit. Lovely.
    That was a great way to prepare for the hill run. nice job there.

The descent is fantastic - 3 of us take off and we're probably a bit to fast as I felt the feet going in places, despite the trail shoes. On the Descent before the verticle ascent (on the way down for those who know Djouce) I take a tumble - not too much damage done, but the 'yelp' from me is one that I get reminded about a few times before I get home.

A great day out - overall about 8.5 miles.

Sunday: GAA tourism brought me to Innisfails GAA club - I used to play for these as a schoolboy many years ago. Nothings changed in the place.
    As my daughter trained away, I went for a nice meander to Malahide, back through the castle and back in time to pick her up.

Kept the pace easy and was pleasantly surprised at how the legs felt despite Fridays & Sat's exertions.

12m @8 min/miles

60.5 miles for the week - a great weeks training/racing/climbing.

Monday: 4m recovery in the PP

4.1@8:46.

This week sees me taper a bit for an attack at my 5k PB at the Patrick Bell 5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Just catching up here, savage running in Terenure. Well done chief!

Bloody user.

As for this, post of the year:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Hopelessly behind again!! but belated congrats on the sub 29. Great to see the training pay off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Alan,

Just catching up, and well done in Dunboyne, some time for an "Auld lad" :)

Them strides are doing the business, (and the other matter of a well executed training plan, lots for miles, and plenty of quality sessions)...

First time I missed the races in years :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sunday: GAA tourism brought me to Innisfails GAA club - I used to play for these as a schoolboy many years ago. Nothings changed in the place.

I remember having plenty of battles with Inisfails playing underage football.Oh the memories. I seem to remember they always had interesting nicknames "Maggot" sticks out in my memory for some reason:), Nino & Rusty( the one redheaded fella) I think were others.
    I recall also having stones thrown at us during one match by kids on the sideline in Belcamp. Ahhh those were the days !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

RedRunner wrote: »
    I remember having plenty of battles with Inisfails playing underage football.Oh the memories. I seem to remember they always had interesting nicknames "Maggot" sticks out in my memory for some reason:), Nino & Rusty( the one redheaded fella) I think were others.
    I recall also having stones thrown at us during one match by kids on the sideline in Belcamp. Ahhh those were the days !

More so at adult level in my case. Didn't play much underage, and never against Innisfails that I can remember. And for some reason we hardly ever played against Fails in Finglas. I played against the likes of Skippy and Bullet out there, and going further back there were brothers named Tone and Emmet :)

Monday: Nice easy recovery in the PP - 4.1m @8:46 pace

Tuesday: 7 miles around the PP with 5x200 on the Furze road. Legs just coming around by the last one.

Wednesday: Planned Rest day on Global Running Day

Thursday: Easy down the PP - inc 5x30s strides - 5.4m

Friday: 4.8m in Porterstown and some strides nearer the house - 6x20secs

Saturday: 2m warm up / 3.1m race / 2m warm down - 7.1m for the day (Report will follow)

Sunday: GAA tourism brought me to St Maurs in Rush - a nice 10m around the area. 10.25 @ 7:40 pace. Legs feeling ok despite the previous nights activities :)

39m for the week.

This race is 1 of my 3 goal races this side of 'summer' - My last goal race went well and I was expecting a good PB performance.

My 5k PB (17:38) is from Jingle Bells '14 - so I knew that I needed a good performance to beat that, given that my VDOT from Dunboyne indicated a 17:30 5k potential - so I had little room for error.

The plan wasn't to run an even split race, haven't not ran it previously, I had researched the course from the Boards.ie GPS log page and I knew the wind would be strong at SSW :) - so I knew when to tuck in and when to use the wind.

I drove down to Bohermeen, getting there in good time, picked up the number, said hi to a few Boardsies and back to the car to change and do a warm up - warm up :) - it was 18 degrees!!.

2m warm up inc some strides, I seen the lad from Dunboyne that I beat in a Sprint Finish (PF from Bros Pearse) so I knew to keep him in my sights.

The start was strange as it was meant to start by the school according to my research and we were pointing in a different direction too - wtf.

Very quickly we were set off - a little lad aged about 8 was just ahead of me at the startline - ouch.

After about 50-60 meters, a lad (different lad)went tumbling, his phone and earphones also fell :P (sayin' nutin').

I checked pace and settled back leaving PF well ahead of me for now.

We were running with a slight cross wind, but it was in our favour, so I allowed the pace to pick up slightly, I was looking for the left turn, when all the runners ahead turned right. $hit - must of been a different course back then that I researched :):) - I had a chuckle.......actually I didn't, I cursed myself, but ploughed on.
    The right turn came and we were into a slight headwind. After a couple of mins the watch beeped.

Mile 1: 5:34

Just after mile 1, we turned right again into the wind, in our faces. There weren't many options to tuck in as the race was spread out but PF was up about 100m ahead in a group - I'd need to catch them.
    I was working hard at this stage, I had no idea where the course would take me, but I knew that there must be a right turn soon and I figured it would be with the wind, so it was a case of not doing to much damage now - but then again - I need to catch the group ahead.

So I chased them down - some came back to me easy enough as they tired, but others pushed on. Mile 2 beeped as we turned right.

Mile 2: 5:41

At this stage I'm telling myself only 1 mile to go - 5mins + - keep the pace going - but I can feel the calfs tighten and the lactic is rising in the thighs. The mile and a half into the wind was taking its toll.

PF was just up ahead and I recognised the road from driving in, we'd pass the car park soon and then it was just a few hundred meters to go.

As we turned right again, I came along side PF, exchanging glances.
    I was totally F*kced at this stage - vowing never to run a 5k again.

However - no demons today. I kept going in pace, not checking the watch at all, however, I feel the effort lessen slightly and take a quick glance to see the pace has slowed considerably - this was confirmed when I was passed for the 1st time since the start.
    I inched up the effort, I could see the turn for the track in the distance, about 200-300m ,so I decided to push hard. If anything, it would knock PF back and I could claim some sort of victory.
    I was pushing very hard, passing the guy who passed me, I was pumping the arms - I had no idea if I was on for a PB or not, but I knew it would be very tight.
    I turned the awkward turn into the track and made pumped the arms as I seen the clock ticking down.
    17:34 / 17:35 - **** - I pushed hard, pumped hard and crossed the line -

17:38 official time - matching my PB.

Not unhappy at all with this, given the wind conditions & the temperature. On a different day, this was a substantial PB performance.

The splits were interesting:
    5:34 / 5:41 / 5:43 / 39secs.

I dont think I've ever ran 39secs for the last part of a 5k before, and I had very little weaving to do??
    Not saying it was long or anything ;)

Incidentally, PF finished 7 secs behind me, so the sprint finish is well worth it.

My clubmate won the 1st Female, which was great and was nice to see Krusty get 5th place and 1st O45.
    TBB who used to be in these parts ran very well and got 1st O40.
    Gosh ran a fine race too in 8th place.

Overall a fantastic event - great course, great spread afterwards.
    Will definitely be back.

3.14m @ 5:37 pace - 17:38
    23rd position and 4th M40

(I'm claiming this as my new PB as JB in '14 was only 3.08m :pac:)

Monday:

AM: 4.8m at 8.22 pace down in the PP - gentle recovery.

PM: 7 miles including 10 x 20 sec strides - again down the PP

Days total: 11.8

Tuesday:
    The Gods are conspiring against me this week - I wanted my session days to be Wed & Sat, but cant do it Wednesday due to getting pulled into a GAA hearing about some nonsense that happened a couple of months ago (a player hit their head on the ground (a 14 yr old girl) - I was 10 ft away with a water bottle in my hand and ran on to the field to assist - the ref took my name for entering the field of play without consent - and I've to attend a hearing!!! )

Anyway - back to more delightful things. A nice session.

Todays session was to be 3m Tempo / 4x200 / 2m Tempo

Ran to the PP - 2.13m as a warm up and started into the 3m tempo - using the Furze/OS roads for most of it.

Finished that in a sweat as it was very humid out there - effort levels were high.

The 4x200 were ok - it felt more up & down in pace but manageable.

Then onto the last 2m - I knew from early on that I would not be able to hold the tempo pace for 2 miles - the legs were obviously still tired from Sat race and the humid conditions were not helping - I lowered the pace target slightly.

As I approached the end of mile 1 I needed to stop as it wasn't feeling like tempo effort, despite what the HR monitor told me - it felt like 5k pace at the end of a race.
    I took a 30 sec breather and set off again - this time it was a bit more manageable and I made a better attempt at the pace.

2.5m cool down back home wondering why I hadn't brought the car :).

Splits:

3m T: 18:18 (6:06 pace)

4x200: 38/39/38/37

2m T: ave 6:22 with a 30s stop in the middle (6:15/6:05 looking at the garmin trace)

Wore the HR monitor for the 1st time in a while: ave HR 145 / max 167

10.58m all in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That's a bit bonkers, are you in trouble for helping?!

That's a bit bonkers, are you in trouble for helping?!

The hearing was a bit mad - ultimately I got off, but the club got a warning - but that changed to a 'be mindful of...' after we queried why we were being warned.

Wednesday: I wanted to do a decent run following the session, so done a good 10 miles around the PP - I cant remember a thing about it, truth be told.

10m @ 7.39

Thursday: 4.1 @ 8.27/mile - recovery run in porterstown.

Friday: Session: 7x3 mins.

Ran down from Farmleigh to the Polo grounds, a few strides and I set off.
    My target was my 5k pace of 5:38/mile

After the 1st rep I wanted to stop and after the 4th rep I was playing mind games to finish the session - but delighted to get it done as the wind as a bit strong in parts.

Actual reps were: 5.38/ 5.39 / 5.37 / 5.37 / 5.39 / 5.42 / 5.36

Saturday: Due to the different factors, a few of us met up on Sat for the long run - The 1st few miles were tough for me until the legs warmed up and then it was ok bar the last 2 miles where I felt I was in a total slog (8min/miles......but felt like 10).

Its a reminder to me to keep the long runs up to a decent level.

15.25@ 7:45m

Sunday:
    My eldest had a match with the DDS (see older post :) ) in Athlone, playing Roscommon - and she was starting!

So my plans to pace the Castleknock 5k were gone, but seeing my girl start in the Dublin colours makes up for it.

I went out later for a few miles and threw in 7x10 sec hill sprints.

Weekly mileage was 66.1 miles. highest mileage since October - feeling great at the end of the week - I reckon theres something in doing the long runs on a Saturday.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Congrats to your little Dub... a proud moment for both of you!

Monday: I changed my schedule around a bit to take account of a Wedding I'm going to next weekend. I'm still harboring hopes that it'll be called off so I can do Dunshaughlin :)

Monday was a session day and on the list was 2x2m Tempo.
    I got out of work a bit early and went straight out - I think it was tipping 25 degrees!!

Given the heat I said I'd do the session in and around the Polo grounds, close to the tap thats down there.

Over 2m WU including 6x20s strides and some stretching (while ditching the top - I need my tan :) )

I chose to do the 1st rep on the road/path on the outside of the Polo pitch as its a 1m lap.
    I was hurting after about 1200m but kept it going and the 1st mile beeped at 5:58 - I kept gong for a 2nd lap and was going to stop a couple of times but didn't. 2nd lap was 5.59.

T'was a bit silly really, not taking the heat into account and running at faster than tempo pace.

After a 2min water break, I went at it again, this time going up the North road.
    I knew after half a mile that I wasn't going to compete the 2mile so adjusted the workout to 2x1m.

1st mile of the 2nd rep was 6:06.

1min break and going again - I thought about going back to the Polo grounds, but turned left towards the Aras and up Chesterfield.
    This mile nearly killed me. I was sweating buckets and delighted when the watch beeped for a 6:08 mile.

I jogged upto Farmleigh and done 6x20s strides again because there was a pretty girl sunbathing there I felt it would benefit me physiologically :D

8.5m for the day, a decent session and the tan topped up.

Tuesday In keeping with my desire to do a decent MLR after a race or session, I went out not knowing if I'd do 5m or 10 miles as the legs were tired.

After a few miles the pace was picking up, the legs definitely tired, but feeling strong. I kept going around the park, back up the North road and finished off around the Furry Glen and back to Farmleigh.

11m @ 7:47 pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Daughter playing for the Dubs

You the Boards pitch invading Davey Fitz

And matching you 5k pb in tough conditions

...it's all happening here

Good stuff

TbL

Daughter playing for the Dubs

You the Boards pitch invading Davey Fitz

And matching you 5k pb in tough conditions

...it's all happening here

Good stuff

TbL

Sure I just make all this stuff up to keep it interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Monday: I changed my schedule around a bit to take account of a Wedding I'm going to next weekend. I'm still harboring hopes that it'll be called off so I can do Dunshaughlin :)

What about the Clonee 10K on Thursday 29th?

€15, organised by Dunboyne AC, 9pm lovely flat, left handed course on quiet country roads, a no fuss, good race. Oh and Dominos Pizza for all finishers
    :D

Mulberry wrote: »
    What about the Clonee 10K on Thursday 29th?

€15, organised by Dunboyne AC, 9pm lovely flat, left handed course on quiet country roads, a no fuss, good race. Oh and Dominos Pizza for all finishers
    :D

yep - I'm doing that one & looking fwd to it.

Dunboyne AC always do a good race.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Left-handed course? Is this a significant thing?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well the Patrick Bell 5K right handed course seemed to completely confuse AMK.
    We were running with a slight cross wind, but it was in our favour, so I allowed the pace to pick up slightly, I was looking for the left turn, when all the runners ahead turned right. $hit - must of been a different course back then that I researched - I had a chuckle.......actually I didn't, I cursed myself, but ploughed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Murph_D wrote: »

It's more natural for the vast majority who would be right leg favoured to run a left bend as your left leg bring standing leg is stronger driving into left hander think that's the theory but open to correction:)

Murph_D wrote: »

Apparently it is, yes! I just googled it and there's lots about the advantages of running anti clockwise. Just like on the track.

Mulberry wrote: »
    Apparently it is, yes! I just googled it and there's lots about the advantages of running anti clockwise. Just like on the track.

Sorry for the log hijack AMK but would you believe The Guardian did a piece on this yesterday! Albeit focussed on the track. Lots of interesting views here, my favourite being, 'we run anti-clockwise because we're trying to beat the clock! (If we ran clockwise we'd be running with it) :rolleyes:
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jun/21/why-runners-cyclists-track-anti-clockwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

and I gave the correct answer :)

Advertisement