Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

"completed August with 295 miles" and a Blister :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Interesting, no barcode and yet you appear in the results :p just as well your other friend from Dunboyne was down in Longford being first finisher there #DACROCK

Sure aren't I famous in these parts......Barcode.....hhhmmmpphhhhh :p

MisterDrak wrote: »
    "completed August with 295 miles" and a Blister :mad:

Shoulda ran 5 more..............

Monday: Following a rest day, I expected the legs to be a little sluggish - I was also tired after a good sunday night :)

Down to the PP about 5'ish and set off on a loop, the intention was to do a full loop and then some strides.
    I'm trying to do a dynamic warm up prior to every run (doesn't always happen) and its working well as I dont have that "1st half mile shuffle" as much as I used to have.

The 1st mile was a 7:34 and I felt like I was jogging - wow - this rest day business is fantastic.
    The next few miles flew by - mainly on the trails/grass - I really cant recall being this fresh on a 'normal run' in a long time.
    I reckon it was the wine on Sunday night.

Made sure to push up Military hill and the upper glen road, as well as the Fury Glen - trying to maximise the hills in my training runs in prep for Dublin.
    6 x 20s strides at the end.

8.71 miles @ 7:28/mile

Tuesday:
    The P&D schedule calls for a 15m and a 12m run midweek - with 7m @ HMP in the 12.
    The Steve Way sessions that I'm following has a 20min/5x3min/20min - which works out at nearly 9m of 'stuff'.

So I decided to do the SW sessions today and a vanilla 12-13m on Thursday.

I had done this session last year - 7 weeks out from San Seb, so this would be a good marker for how I was by comparison.
    I wore the NB Vazees again, but with a twin skin sock to see if this would help the blisters.
    I done a 4m warm up (7:40 pace) before starting off on the initial 20min section - I wanted to do these at close to HMP.

The 1st 20min brought me into a stiff enough wind on the OS, before a nice downhill on the UGR and then up the S Bends, finishing into the wind on the Acres - so a fair course.
    The 5x3mins were completed on the Acres - some sections into the breeze - so again a fair course.

The final 20 min section was up Chesterfield into the wind, with a lap of the Furze/OS road, finishing at CK gate.......bo!!ixed and with another blister (I hadn't felt the blister until mile 14).

Paces:
    Warm Up: 4m@7:40
    20mins HMP: 3.14m @ 6.22 pace - 3min Rec

5x3 mins off 90s: 5.49 / 5.37 / 5.44 / 5.47 / 5.47 /
    3 mins Recovery after this

20mins HMP: 3.16m @ 6:19 pace
    Cool Down: 2.3m @ 7:49

I knocked last years session out of the pack with the paces on all sections and I had to break the last 20min segment into 2 last year. - A good confidence builder.

16.18@7.12/mile ave

Wednesday:
    (1) short recovery run - 4.1m @ 8:38 pace.
    (2) Short recovery run 2 - 4m @ 8.16 pace.

Near identical routes.

Thursday: 12 mile MLR around the PP - I had some Garmin user error here which made it look like 2 runs on Strava, but was only 1 run.
    12m @ 7:45

Friday: Another busy day - another rest day. Its a toss up between the benefit I get from a single 4m run on a busy day, vrs a complete rest. Right now I feel the rest is the better option.

Saturday: Long Run.

Bloody earphones.
    Packed in after about 3-4 miles, so was running for 17 miles solo with only my thoughts for company.

I done a few miles locally, then went to the Canal til I reached Phisbouragh Phisboro before Croke park ( :) ).

I checked my watch at that stage to see 10 miles at an ave pace of 7:30. ah yes, I thought - if I slow down to 8 min/miles - the overall run will be 7:45 - still good.

I turned and made my way to the PP taking my only gel and some water at the Polo grounds tap. I joined in with a group on the polo grounds, only for 1 lap though, before heading off again.

As I approached 15 miles, I checked my watch - 15 at an average of 7:30 per mile.
    $h!t I thought, I cant go to 7:31 or 7:32 - I have to keep it at 7:30 (any marathon novices reading this, this is what happens to you, you get runners OCD) - so I felt the effort increase over the coming 5 miles to maintain the 7:30 ave pace - which I suppose isn't a bad thing for marathon training.
    But it did see my final 300m running flat out as it skipped to 7:31 momentarily :)

20 miles @ 7:30 pace.

Sunday:
    7:05 miles at 8:13 pace - lovely run down to the PP and back - really enjoyed this

72 miles for the week - with a rest day. Happy with that.

I should pass 2000 miles for the year this week too, not too shabby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great running AMK. Are you on a P&D plan? Just catching up on your log.

Great running AMK. Are you on a P&D plan? Just catching up on your log.

Howdey - I'm using P&D as a structure, but I am inserting sessions into the MLR's to get more MP work in.
    The sessions come from Steve Way who developed them for Bournemouth ac.
    See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Howdey - I'm using P&D as a structure, but I am inserting sessions into the MLR's to get more MP work in. The sessions come from Steve Way who developed them for Bournemouth ac. See

Some nice looking sessions there. Thanks for attaching.

Monday: I'd left the car at a pub on Sunday night, so ran down, doing a mini loop of the PP in the lashings of rain to pick it up. Was God awful conditions, seen very few in the park for the 1st time in a long time.

7.3m @ 7:45

Tuesday: Another Tuesday, another session, another bloody horrible evening.

The session was 2m WU, the 24/18/12/6/3 mins, starting at slightly faster than MP and getting faster each rep - with 3 mins recovery each time. I decided to do it on the Frank Duffy 10m Route as it is fairly challenging and good practice for the DCM Hills & drags.

The 24mins brought me down the Upper Glen Road, but then up the S Bends and up Wellington road, finishing by the Zoo - so a fair route.
    The 18 mins was up the North road and turn down Chesterfield, 12 mins across the Acres road and half way up the Upper Glen Road, then onto the Furze and finish off with the 3 mins up Chesterfield to Farmleigh.

All in all a pretty challenging route - especially as it was bucketing down and I had the beginnings of a stitch. My runner was also giving me hassle as the rain made the insole slip and it was chaffing off my foot.

The Paces were:
    24 mins: 6:27
    18 mins: 6:20
    12 mins: 6:16
    6 mins: 6:15 (was bo!l!xed from the UGR)
    3 mins: 5:59

With a 2m WU and a 2m CD - the session came to 15 miles.

15m @ 7:07

Wednesday: Busy night tonight with GAA and Spurs in the CL - Lost the GAA but Won at Wembley :)
    Only managed 5m @ 7:58 pace.
    Legs not too bad at all following Tuesdays session.

Thursday: Ran from home and done a loop of the PP - Tired today.
    11.4 miles @ 7:49

Friday: Rest day -

Saturday: Long run day.
    I felt last weeks 20 miler was tougher than it needed to be, mentally more than physically.

I planned this one a bit better (well.........within 30 seconds as you'll see), with the route broken down into manageable chunks, kinda like.........
    2 laps of the park by the house = 1 mile
    Run to Porterstown = 1 mile (2 miles)
    2 laps = 2 miles (4 miles)
    Down to the PP = 3 miles (7m)
    etc, etc

I knew I would be coming back by the house during mile 14 for water and heading to Hartstown Parkrun for 9:30.

At about 10+ miles, I met 3 of my clubmates at Castleknock Gate and was chatting to them for a bit, then headed off only to find when I reached my house for water, I was a bit behind in my timings - It was 9:15 and I had about 2.5m to get to Hartstown!!
    I thought about going to Porterstown, but that would throw the entire plan out the window and I knew the temptation would be to finish the run at 20 miles rather than HAVE to run home from Hartstown.

So I upped the pace a bit to get to Parkrun with a couple of miles at 7:10's - , thankfully it started a couple of mins late, but as I approached the corner, I could see them just setting off. I was just over 16 miles into the run at this stage.
    I reckon I was 20-30 seconds behind the start, but I felt it would be good to have people to chase.

I thought I was running at 5:10 pace as I passed lots of people in the 1st mile, only to check and see that it was actually Marathon Pace I was running at :( - oh dear.

By the end of the 1st mile I reckoned I was in about 10th position, with a few gaps in between, so I regrouped and picked off a couple of people. Even though it wasn't a race ;) - I didn't want them catching me again, so I put in a couple of surges to put distance between me and those I just passed - I put it down to practicing race tactics :).

There was 1 guy in blue a good bit ahead of me, but I was running at MP and was comfortable leaving him ahead of me, until towards the last 1/2 mile when I figured out he was a club mate of mine :)

As we approached the 2nd last corner, I over took him and finished in 20:04 official time - minus a bit for starting late!
    Each mile was faster than MP which was great to get.

I had a chat with Fletch (who was 1st finisher.....again) and set off for home, as I approached my house, I was at 22.5m - again - knowing that the park by my house is 0,5m I had to do a lap for a good 23miles at an average pace of 7:29.

I got a stitch again on the way home, but only for a mile or so - thats the 2nd time I've had something like that - I need to watch out for that.

Following the run, the body felt great, I recovered really well and had none of the normal tiredness/stiffness - so I'll take that as a positive sign.

23miles @ 7:29/mile.

Sunday: Short recovery run - 4.2m @ 8:40.

I considered going out later in the day again, but felt I had a good week, despite only 66miles - a good 15m session, another MLR and a quality long run.
    Plus my heart got a great workout during the DubvMayo match - and I reckon I sweated about 2-3lbs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Awesome training lately, super stuff.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Awesome training lately, super stuff.

TbL

Such a slapper.........
    Great going Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

That's a phenomenal long run... with a speedy parkrun at the end of it just for fun... you make it sound easy!

annapr wrote: »
    That's a phenomenal long run... with a speedy parkrun at the end of it just for fun... you make it sound easy!

Thanks for that.
    I find when I structure the run into manageable chunks/routes, it goes quite well for me but when I just do a plain 20m run and make up the route as im going along, its painful. I hate those runs (see last week :) )

Monday: Legs felt good on Monday as I set off on my new favourite route in the park - it'll change next week to a different route, but now I like it 'cos before I know it I have 5 miles done and am on the 2-3m stretch back to the car.

Maybe its getting back to the point of having a structured route as I mentioned to Anna above?.

Anyway - back to Farmleigh, enjoying listening to Dublins fav supporter, Oisin McConville on 2nd Captains, and I set off on my strides.
    I've been neglecting these a bit recently, so wanted to give them a good go.

10x20s with 40-60 secs walk recovery.- felt good and the legs felt fantastic following them.

Back to college tonight - as if my life wasn't busy enough...........

8:15@ 7:57

Tuesday: Another Tuesday session to look forward to.
    This time it was 4x16 mins at MP and get faster each rep.
    I changed it slightly to be 4x16 mins at MP-10s (target pace was 6:25/mile with 3 mins rec) - the change was because when i done a similar session previously, it was 3x15 mins and I done this one at MP-10s, so I wanted some progression and relative comparison.

After a short dynamic warmup I ran 2miles down to the PP (7:33 pace) - probably a tad fast, but I felt good.
    I chose to do this on the Frank Duffy 10m route as its a challenging course.

(1) 1st set of 16 mins: Brought me along the Ordanance Survey road and down the UGR and up the S Bends (uuugghhh). Felt ok, but not in control nor relaxed at pace. 2.5m@6:26 pace
    A bit fast in the recovery at 7:48 pace

(2) 2nd set was Down Military road, up the hill at the monument and turn right after the Zoo and left onto the North Road. This drag is very deceptive and thankfully my 16 mins stopped at the angle of the triangle (the water stop on FD).
    2.5m@6:24

(3) 3rd Set was tough toward the end. I had to finish off up the North Road and then turn down Chesterfield, trying to relax at pace. I turned onto the Papal Cross and along the Acres road - my God, the wind here is terrible. I had in my head that it was an 18 min rep, so delighted when the watch beeped earlier than I expected at the Hospital. (I briefly considered checking myself in......)
    2.5@6:23

(4) 4th Set was always going to be tough, I was ok going up the Upper Glen Road, but when you reach the top, the bit in-between that and the Furze always gets me - this was tough, but I felt strong, tired but strong.
    I went up the Furze Road, passing the John McHugh memorial, always a reminder of how lucky we are to get to run every day. Turning to go up Chesterfield again, I knew I had a good mile or so to go, but the pace didn't waver and again, I felt strong.
    2.5m@6:24

I finished just at Farmleigh Gates, back where I started. 10miles of faster than MP running.
    I set off the 2m cooldown home - again the pace was a bit fast for a cooldown, but I knew I'd be bringing the dog for a long walk right away, so that would help the recovery :)

Overall 15m @ 6:55

Wednesday: Working at home today as wifey is away, managed to get out for a few lunchtime miles, again with 2nd Captains for company.
    Listened to a great interview with Kevin Mac and then a fantastic Richie Sadlier Players Chair with Paul Galvin - really changed my opinion of him.

8.1m @ 8:28

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I was laughing out loud at that Second Captains interview with Oisin McConville and their Jack McCaffrey descriptions as I was running on Monday, not sure I can bring myself to listen to Paul Galvin though.

So I decided to give the DCM Half Marathon a crack, the long race would be beneficial, but more importantly, the 2 days that I would taper for it would give me back a lot of time on Thursday/Friday as wifey is still away, I had a Careers Fair on Thursday and a lot of stuff on Friday. Coupled with 2 teenage girls who were having their own issues. God grant me patience............... :)

So No running for 2 days which is the 1st time since holidays in July :).

On Saturday, I felt I gave myself ample time to make it to Donabate - but it wasn't to be and I took my stressed-out head away from there and back to the Phoenix Park.

I had no earphones with me, so decided to do a session (I dont wear them during sessions).
    As I had planned a HM, I felt that I would try a 5/4/3/2/1 miles at MP with 5/4/3/2/1 mins recovery - for a 20 mile run.

Well that didn't work out.

After a 3m warm up, I started the 1st 5m section up Chesterfield and then around by the S Bends.
    My MP should be 6:35'ish/mile so the 1st mile in 6:24 followed by 2 6:29's signalled danger as I was huffing and puffing and not comfortable at that pace. The breeze was a right b'stid, not making it easier - but I seen out the 1st 5m and was wrecked.
    I thought I'd recover enough after 5 mins, but I was starting the 4m section going up Chesterfield again and after 2 mins I stopped - the effort levels were through the roof trying to hold 6:45 pace.

What the hell is going on I was thinking.

Decided to just run and see how I got on, but it was a bit stop-start. My head nor my heart were in it. My breathing was laboured, my arms were sore, I had a stitch again.............all signs that my effort levels were to hard.

I came back to the Polo grounds for some water by the tap, but it was boarded up, so no water or gels for me on this run.

I toyed with the idea of grinding out an additional 3 miles to make the 20 and salvage something from the day - but in hindsight, a 17m run is good enough, especially on empty.

Following the run my legs were in bits - it was like I had run a HM, I think Tuesdays session was coming back to bite me hard.

17m@ 7:24/mile (inc 5m@6:30'ish)

Sunday: Today is a good day. Wifey is home and the teenagers are stress free (for the minute) :):)

nice recovery miles in the PP - 5.3m @ 8:10.

54m for the week - pretty poor - but Tuesdays session will stick as a good session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

A tough day at the office. I usually console myself with the thought that days like that are the days you draw from when your suffering in a race. If every session went well, how would you learn to cope if the wheels come off on race day?
    Angsty teenagers though - give me a bad session any day of the week...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Glad to see you suffer the odd ****e day too.

Was starting to think you were making all that good stuff up...:)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

That's a tough session to tackle in fairness A - wouldn't be reading too much into it given some of the work you've put in of late.

• Advertisement

A tough day at the office. I usually console myself with the thought that days like that are the days you draw from when your suffering in a race. If every session went well, how would you learn to cope if the wheels come off on race day?
    Angsty teenagers though - give me a bad session any day of the week...
    Glad to see you suffer the odd ****e day too.

Was starting to think you were making all that good stuff up...:)

TbL
    Duanington wrote: »
    That's a tough session to tackle in fairness A - wouldn't be reading too much into it given some of the work you've put in of late.

thanks Lads.

I think I need to rethink a few basics for the next 4 weeks.

(1) Core work has dropped significantly - I need to get back on this.
    (2) Off the wine/beer for October (or at least cut down significantly)
    (3) keep easy easy and hard hard (ohhhh matron.......)
    (4) I have 3 sessions, 1 long run (possibly 2) and 1 3/4 mara race to do - I need to make these count more than ever.
    (5) Sessions at MP - not faster - I need to know if MP is realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

"On Saturday, I felt I gave myself ample time to make it to Donabate - but it wasn't to be and I took my stressed-out head away from there and back to the Phoenix Park.
    "

Is that it ? I was expecting an epic Rant about the stupid traffic situation ???

I also went home and "Ran Angry" for 8 miles... :)

Sure its all been said everywhere on line, nothing more to be gained. 
    I also contributed to it by driving solo and not car sharing......anyway, they've had so many 1st class events over the years, 1 bad one will make them double down for the next few years. 

btw, they weren't my exact thoughts on Saturday morning :) ............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Take the likes of Tuesdays session as the good and Saturdays as the bad..like a few have said everything has been going great for you so work from there...and just think of the 2 days rest and how the body will benefit!

Monday: Nice few miles around the park, followed by 6x20s strides.

7m @ 8:04

Tuesday: I was apprehensive about this session, ideally I'd like to have done it on Wednesday, but this weekend is a bit mad with College on Saturday and I want to allow for an early session the following week to allow for the weekend 3/4 mara............seriously, I should play chess I think so far ahead...............

Anyway - todays session was 25m >MP / 5x4min @ 10k / 25min >MP.

Despite me saying that I have to keep my sessions at MP, the last few replica sessions of this, I have done at MP-10s, so to keep it consistent, I wanted to try this pace and see how I got on. I was prepared to let it fall to 6:50's if I had too.

2mile warm up to the park, a few stretches and I was off on the 1st rep. I avoided the hills today, taking in the Furze/OS/Chesterfield before finishing off at the Acres.

The 25min rep seen 3.9 miles at 6:23 pace and although the 1st mile or so was hard, once I settled in I was fine.

3 min recovery and I was starting on the 5x4 mins - done these on the acres, which as usual was quite breezy.
    They were tough - each one following the same usual routine...... 1st min far too fast - 2nd min just right, 3rd min far too slow - 4th min hanging on. 2 min recovery on each rep.
    Completed them all about 5:50/mile pace - very happy with the effort.

The 2nd and final 25min rep was 1 lap of the acres and then up Chesterfield, the furze & OS roads, finishing up at Farmleigh.
    The final 2mile of this was tough and I had to grind it out, but I kept the pace good - good to run at pace on tired legs.
    The 25min came in at 3.9m at 6:25 pace.

2m jog home - I was cautious to keep the pace slow and not make the mistake of last week with a fast cool down.

All in 16.25 miles at 7:13 pace.

Delighted with the session, confidence back up.

I'm back...........was I ever away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Tuesday: I was apprehensive about this session, ideally I'd like to have done it on Wednesday, but this weekend is a bit mad with College on Saturday and I want to allow for an early session the following week to allow for the weekend 3/4 mara............seriously, I should play chess I think so far ahead...............

I'd say I could give you a good game with the amount of forward planning I do. I must have the spreadsheet open 10 times a day! ("Now if I do that session this evening, I'll only have x hours recovery before that medium long run in the morning, which has to be in the morning because the kids are on half day and the young lad has training this evening, but if I push it forward two days then its too close to the long run, which I also can't push forward because herself has work and I've a race the next weekend etc. etc.")

Wednesday:I think it was lashing for this run, but I was ready for it and just went with it.
    Generally I dont like recovery runs, I find them boring and too long, but this marathon cycle I'm learning to really embrace them and keep to the mantra of "Hard days hard and easy days easy".
    When I compare my training to last year, the sessions are faster, but the easy days are slower.

7.06m / 8.08 per mile

Thursday: back to the park, a loop of the non hilly side and 6 strides.

6.68 @ 8:16/mile

Friday: Due to a few things (primarily College on Saturday), I needed to do my long run on Friday.

So I parked on the Furze Road, with a drink, gel and banana in the car, and set off.
    I had my route planned, split into segments, I knew when I'd be passing the car for fuel (running fuel not petrol :) ), and I knew which direction the wind was blowing.

So, thankfully my earphones worked for the entire run, I did listen to a podcast of 'Movies & Booze' for the 2nd time as I feared touching my phone would render it useless!!

But, '2nd captains', 'off the ball' and 'Marathon Talk' all kept me company for the entirety.

It was possibly, the most comfortable 20 mile run I've done, which I' delighted with I think there was only 4 miles slower than 7:30/mile - which wasn't intentional as I wasn't watching pace at all today, given the wind.

I'm not sure how much of a 'boost' I got from the pit stop at mile 11 for a gel and lucozade sport, but I do think it helped.
    In my midweek sessions that are 16m or so, I don't take water or gels as I want to promote fat burning and I've only taken 1 gel per run so far.
    I'll be taken more next week at the 3/4 marathon as I want to mimic Marathon Day as much as possible.

At mile 16/17 I was going sown the Khyber and I was deciding if I should turn left or right at the end, I turned left for the easy option of going up Wellington Road and then up Chesterfield.

I finished off by the car on the furze, happy to finish, but knowing that I could have done an extra couple of mile as well - so that's a positive sign.

20m @ 7:27 (2:29 hrs running)

Saturday

6miles easy in PP at 8:16/mile

Sunday:

Nice run in the PP - plenty of people around as I bumped into Olwyn (previously from these parts) and a couple of superstars from the runners support page :).

As I started I felt very tired, which floored me as I had felt great preciously, but after a mile or 2 I just kept going. 3 became 5 became 6 became 8 and I finished in a better state than I started.

8.10 @ 8.16/mile

71m for the week - I purposely didn't want to take a rest day.

275m for September - I had hoped to break 300 miles for the month but tapering last week for a race I didn't do cost me :)

So October is here already !!

My plans are:

Session on Tuesday this week.
    3/4 Mara on Sunday which will be kinda like 10k@MP+20s/ 10k@MP+10s / 10kMP / 1m Hard

But I know the 3/4 mara will all depend on how I feel and conditions on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Nice week there, from one student to another 😉

O still casts her beady eye over A/R every so often, although she doesn't post here any more really AFAIK. She knew enough about my mentor role when we were running together last week 😀

Monday: A few miles on the trails/grass in the PP - pace was easy but still quite windy out.

Was doing a few strides on the path at Farmleigh when I bumped into Murph_D doing an easy run.

8.44m inc 10x20s strides

Tuesday Another Tuesday Session - 24/18/12/6/4/3/2/2 mins. Starting at slightly faster than MP and getting faster each rep. 3mins & 2 mins rec on the shorter segments.

I set off doing this with a crick in my neck - probably not too advisable, but after a mile or so I didn't notice it (til I finished...).

I had done a 2m warm up to the PP and then bumped into a clubmate who is supposed to be injured.
    "What pace you doing" he says -
    "about to start a session- roughly 4m at 6:30'ish" i said
    "Grand - I'm doing 6:05's - I'll do it with you"

Some injury he has............ He told me not to mention it to anyone - but sure, no one reads this anyway!

It was great having company for the 24min section - Didn't do the usual tough FD10 route - we were on grass the whole time and avoided hills (due to his 'injury').
    We had a great chat and caught up before he left me after about 20mins or so - great to do this while still conversing.

The 18min segment was tough - up the North Road into somewhat of a breeze. I took the 12min segment a bit easier as I was going down the Upper Glen Road, but the last few bits were very tough going up Chesterfield and having to chase making each segment faster keeps you honest.

24 mins / 3.7m / 6.29 mile
    18 mins / 2.8m / 6:24 mile
    12 mins / 1.9m / 6:15 mile
    6 mins / 0.96m / 6:12 mile
    4 mins / 0.65m / 6:07 mile
    3 mins / 0.51m / 5:56 mile
    2 mins / 0.35m / 5:46 mile
    2 mins / 0.35m / 5:44 mile

A nice 2m cool down for a very satisfying 17m session - with over 11 miles at faster than MP.
    No water or gels for the session.

17m for the day.

• Advertisement

Wednesday: tired legs today - just a small recovery run.

4m at 8:39 pace.

Thursday: Lovely run down to the PP and back - keeping the pace at a decent clip.

10m @ 7:34

Friday: Planned another 4-5m recovery run, but it didn't happen. Good to get a rest day though.

Saturday: a loop around 1 side of the park and 5 Strides

6.2m @ 8:22 pace.

Sunday: Irish 3/4 Marathon - Longwood

I was soooo well prepared for this event - yep - a half bottle of wine and about 3 hours sleep. So Professional in all I do.

I left early to arrive in good time, a quick hello to FBOT and I was back getting changed in the car and out for a warm up.
    Bumped into Meno (theres a name I haven't typed in a while) and ran with him for a few minutes - good to catch up.

So about a 1.6m warm up before getting into the start pen - a lot of congestion, but it was fine and we were off.

My plan was to run 6m@MP+20s / 6m@MP+10s and 6M@MP with the last 1.6m hard - the aim was for a 6:45 average split.
    However, after a mile or so, I was into a good groove with a few people around me and a good cohort up ahead of me.

The miles were ticking between 6:50's and 6:45's, a tad faster than planned, but I was enjoying it - the group started to slow a bit, so I moved up to the next group - an elder gentleman in a MHAC singlet provided me with exceptional company for a few miles, I was well able to speak to him at 6:45 pace, so that bodes well.

The legs were certainly tired and I could feel a bit of heaviness in them, but the lungs etc felt great. I took a gel at 5m.

At about the 7-8 mile mark - the group ahead were going into the distance and my companion told me he would be doing 6:50's for the remainder - so I needed to try to catch the group ahead or risk being on my own.

The next 3 miles (9-11) came in about 6:35's as i tried to catch the group ahead - by now my plan was well out the window.

After 3 miles trying to catch them, I reckoned that I needed to relax a bit - so I ended up doing what I didn't want to do and ran on my own, hoping they'd tire and come back to me.
    The next 2 miles again on my own at about the 6:50 pace and I was feeling great - heavy legs, but knew I wouldn't blow up.
    At about the 14m mark, the group start to come back to me a bit and I find myself naturally increasing the pace.

The next 2-3 miles are decent enough at 6:40's as I over take some people and then a lady comes storming by me - 1st time I've been passed in the race, but she goes by me and into the distance. A Donadee runner.

So I know theres a hill at mile 17 and I'm prepared for it, its actually quite short, but I can stil feel a burn as I go up it and then there follows a great mile downhill where I let gravity take over.
    I keep at MP for the last 2 miles and finish it out - theres a group of 4 just ahead of me by about 10 secs or so, but I dont try to chase them down - its not a race at the end of the day - just a great workout.

I pass the line at 2:12:04 in 32nd spot - my pace is 6:43 - so in the ball park of where I want it, just not how I wanted to get it.

My MHAC buddy turns out to be the legend that is Nollaig McEntaggert and he runs in about 30 seconds behind me - he's over 60 years old!

Great meeting up afterwards with Murph again and a few other non boardsies afterwards before doing a 1.6m cool down.

I have to say that the legs and body felt great afterwards, so hopefully the recovery goes well this week!!
    A super race, great course and very well organised.

19.6m @ 6:43 pace.

22.9 for the day

Advertisement