Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So given they are on the 3 Network, what do they mean by this?

"Network in progress
    We've been busy making our network even better, with exciting new innovations that will further increase speeds and reliability. We're always working to make our network work for you, because we know our network connects you to the things that you care about. Every word of every call, every text, every tweet and post, every smiley face and xoxo. It's all important to you, so its important to us.

How important? Well, €250 million important. Along with new sites, new bandwidths, extended 3G & 4G coverage and our best ever indoor coverage, our network is improving every day
    ."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Mr Velo wrote: »
    This map is quite helpful for checking mobile coverage from the different providers:

https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map

And here also

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#explore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

DopeTech wrote: »
    According to that map I should have had 4g indoors in my area. It displayed 4g+ on my phone but was giving me download speeds of about 0.03 at one stage while sat in my car.

Never understood how that happens! How can you have a decent 4g signal and not get anything approaching 4g speed - I've changed network settings to 3g sometimes and got a better speed. Is it simply a case of too many people using 4g, so less people using 3g can be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Can you get a sim anywhere else for 48 other than ordering it.
    Ive ordered twice since this offer started and received nothing.
    My sister ordered to her house a couple of days after the offer came out and it hasnt arrived.

Finally received one sim today (of 3 ordered 12 days ago) so don't lose hope yet. I received no confirmation email or dispatch notification but, when I tried to order another sim online using the same email after a week of waiting, I was informed it would be arriving soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Never understood how that happens! How can you have a decent 4g signal and not get anything approaching 4g speed - I've changed network settings to 3g sometimes and got a better speed. Is it simply a case of too many people using 4g, so less people using 3g can be better?

I was thinking that probably is what it is but if that is the case then 3 really need to add some additional capacity.

Might try force 3G the next time just to see but that's no way to have to use a phone. I'll be jumping ship if it becomes a frequent thing and or if they don't sort the routing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I was thinking that probably is what it is but if that is the case then 3 really need to add some additional capacity.

Might try force 3G the next time just to see but that's no way to have to use a phone. I'll be jumping ship if it becomes a frequent thing and or if they don't sort the routing issues.

I experience similar too.
    I conducted several speed tests between 48/GoMo over the weekend. I found if close to a cell tower, then speed is excellent.
    I got 103Mpbs download and 44Mbps upload over the weekend on 48!
    GoMo at same location was 72Mbps download.
    That's some savage speeds there.

My house is on the fringe of cell towers. And therefore 4G speeds are pitiful.
    Sometimes 3G+ is faster.
    Just tired another test there out the back.
    GoMo 4g is 2.62Mbps
    However 48 4G is 385Kbps - disaster!
    Just as well decent wifi makes up for that!

I don't know what it is about Three, but my experience over the years suggests network congestion, especially in the evenings. And the further from the cell tower you are, the issue is confounded.

So I'm in 2 minds about moving from GoMo now.
    I have the 9.99 plan and no issues.
    If I leave and then want to go back, it'll then be 12.99.
    Decisions decisions...

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Neither of us got our sims yet at all
    I've an unused spare SIM I could post to you if you'd like. Alas, it's not a recruiter SIM so I won't get the benefit!

I ordered recruiter SIMs over a week ago but nothing yet. Not even a confirmation or dispatch email.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Just to give my own two cents, I've ported across to 48 and have found the network more than satisfactory. Yes speeds fluctuate, as they do on all other networks I have been on. Most of the time it's is speeds of over 10mb and often a lot higher. I was with Vodafone before this and was paying 20 euro for free calls and text but only 10gb of data. For me personally I am very happy with 48

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Sim arrived today and I have been testing it on and off, download speeds are terrible where I live not even getting 4G or even 3G.

I'll stick with GoMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭DopeTech

biebiebie wrote: »
    I conducted several speed tests between 48/GoMo over the weekend. I found if close to a cell tower, then speed is excellent.

Sometimes 3G+ is faster.
    GoMo 4g is 2.62Mbps

I don't know what it is about Three, but my experience over the years suggests network congestion, especially in the evenings. And the further from the cell tower you are, the issue is confounded.

Decisions decisions...
    Just don't port your number until you are sure you are happy with the data speeds. They give you 1gb free for a week but if you want you can sign up for a membership and port after a few weeks even. You won't lose the membership.

Just don't port your number until you are sure you are happy with the data speeds. They give you 1gb free for a week but if you want you can sign up for a membership and port after a few weeks even. You won't lose the membership.

Yeah my 1GB didn't even last a week, too much speed testing as that's all I used the data for. So I'm already on the paid €7.99 plan

Plus I have 2 phones, 1 dual sim so I have plenty of options :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 longcock

Sometimes 3G+ is faster.
    GoMo 4g is 2.62Mbps

Decisions decisions...

I would think the more people that move from GoMo, it will encourage GoMo to try and win them back again with probably offerings to new customers of 6:99 or even 5:99 for a limited period. These prices don't cost the network providers a cent albeit the SIM and the postage. The networks and infrastructure are already in place. Remember GoMo's 1st offering 9:99 a month for the 1st 100,000 users, just that alone gives them extra revenue of 12 million euro per annum on an existing network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone having signal issues today? No signal on the phone and no one can call me...kinda regretting switching from gomo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭KildareP

Pacifico wrote: »
    Anyone having signal issues today? No signal on the phone and no one can call me...kinda regretting switching from gomo!

Lost data around 4.30pm and had to reboot to get it back. Didn't realise for ages until I went to check an email and nothing had come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

hey guys i,ve a sim ordered what do i do to get the free 1gb trial?.

Just activate your sim. Then the free 1GB will be already on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ive noticed my gomo speeds at home dropped from 40 to 3-5 months ago. Today theyre back to fast days. Coincidence?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Ive noticed my gomo speeds at home dropped from 40 to 3-5 months ago. Today theyre back to fast days. Coincidence?

could be well on to something there rodge................................

competition is always good,keeps it competitive and price wars ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

longcock wrote: »
    I would think the more people that move from GoMo, it will encourage GoMo to try and win them back again with probably offerings to new customers of 6:99 or even 5:99 for a limited period. These prices don't cost the network providers a cent albeit the SIM and the postage. The networks and infrastructure are already in place. Remember GoMo's 1st offering 9:99 a month for the 1st 100,000 users, just that alone gives them extra revenue of 12 million euro per annum on an existing network.

I missed the initial GoMo offer and refused to sign up because of it, I am on a pretty good plan with Vodafone as far as their prepay plans go - once I top up by €20 and exchange €15 of that I get 14GB of data (which I never use) and unlimited calls and texts to all mobiles and landlines.

Is there anything we can do to make sure we are alerted to any new offers from GoMo or other providers?

I am interested in 48.ie but if there are coverage issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

I got one of the free SIMs & have been running a speed test a few times a day in Cork city centre to see if I could replace a GoMo SIM in a 4G router. The problem with it is that it's incredibly inconsistent, at its best I saw 90Mb download speeds, at its worst < 1Mb. GoMo never reaches the faster speed for me but equally never drops that low. Probably would be fine in a phone as you might not even notice but not really viable in a router providing wifi access in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ismamai

Sometimes 3G+ is faster.
    GoMo 4g is 2.62Mbps

Decisions decisions...

I am in the same case. Sometimes speed from 48 is terrible, having ridiculous low upload speed. If I decided to leave 9.99 GOMO to go to 48.ie and it does not work well, then going back to GOMO would be 12.99.

As you say, decisions and taking a risk for 20% discount. But if it is unusable, then it is not good business. It all depends on what are they going to do with the Network development in the future

Davexirl wrote: »
    Sim arrived today and I have been testing it on and off, download speeds are terrible where I live not even getting 4G or even 3G.

I'll stick with GoMO.

Restart your phone after adding APN. I did that, and I got 4G+ after reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

How long did it take to port over? Mine is porting atm, started half an hour ago.

ismamai wrote: »
    I am in the same case. Sometimes speed from 48 is terrible, having ridiculous low upload speed. If I decided to leave 9.99 GOMO to go to 48.ie and it does not work well, then going back to GOMO would be 12.99.

As you say, decisions and taking a risk for 20% discount. But if it is unusable, then it is not good business. It all depends on what are they going to do with the Network development in the future

Yep my thoughts exactly.
    Now that I've done my initial 7.99 48 top up, I'll keep 48 in reserve for now.

For me GoMo is the better solution. For now anyhow.

Another aspect I'm thinking of is 5G. Acording to the Eir 5G map, my area is already covered for 5G. So if GoMo eventually offer an upgrade for a 5G plan, it'll be a nice upgrade. And that's a great reason for a phone upgrade whenever that happens :)

Of course for others your mileage may vary, and 48 may be the best option for you. Best to take a suck it and see approach.

Yep my thoughts exactly.
    Now that I've done my initial 7.99 48 top up, I'll keep 48 in reserve for now.

For me GoMo is the better solution. For now anyhow.

Another aspect I'm thinking of is 5G. Acording to the Eir 5G map, my area is already covered for 5G. So if GoMo eventually offer an upgrade for a 5G plan, it'll be a nice upgrade. And that's a great reason for a phone upgrade whenever that happens :)

Of course for others your mileage may vary, and 48 may be the best option for you. Best to take a suck it and see approach.

I remember that GOMO said that current plan is only for 4G. In 48.ie they have not said anything about 4G/5G.

Anyway, before having 5G I would prefer to have a good 4G coverage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

CWF wrote: »
    How long did it take to port over? Mine is porting atm, started half an hour ago.

Took about 4 hours for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

When you receive the 2 single sims sign up and activate one. Throw the other away. Sign into the account of the first one and you will have a recruit option at the bottom of the page where you can order up to 5 sims. When they arrive use one of these as the 2nd sim. That way both your sims will then get a free month.
    Ten Pin wrote: »
    Unless they link specific SIMs to each login before dispatch then just use the 2nd SIM for a new sign up via referral link from the first SIM.

Can anyone confirm if the recruiter sims have to be ordered separately AFTER signing up or will the above solution by Ten Pin work?

After waiting nearly a fortnight, all three sims I ordered have arrived now and I don't want another long wait for the recruiter versions to turn up before signing us all up for the free month.

If I sign one person up first, would I be able to use the sims already here for the recruitment deal? I will order the recruiter sims again anyway to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Testing my theory re gomo pulling their finger out, getting 30-40 again today when it had gone to 3-5 for months.
    Leaving gomo does seem hard to do but guarantee good offers will be around all the time as competition heats up. Only VF doesn't seem to care

Advertisement