Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Can't get it working in my router, Huawei b315. Works in my phone. Chat said they won't help me cos your not allowed use it as broadband. Anybody able to get it working as mobile broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Can't get it working in my router, Huawei b315. Works in my phone. Chat said they won't help me cos your not allowed use it as broadband. Anybody able to get it working as mobile broadband?

Have you entered the apn settings?

I think so. I put the SIM in my phone, disabled the SIM. Put in the liffeytelecom APN settings and it worked. Could hot spot from my phone. Red light comes up on my router when I put it in tho. I've a basic knowledge so I'm sure I e done something wrong. Just want to know it's possible before I try to get it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I think so. I put the SIM in my phone, disabled the SIM. Put in the liffeytelecom APN settings and it worked. Could hot spot from my phone. Red light comes up on my router when I put it in tho. I've a basic knowledge so I'm sure I e done something wrong. Just want to know it's possible before I try to get it working.

You need to enter the apn settings into the routers interface.

DopeTech wrote: »

Super thanks, I'll get googling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Tamsta

TheDriver wrote: »
    Glad I tried the SIM. Won't be moving from goMo, reception seemed no better than when I used to be with Tesco mobile.
    Had 4G on 3 bars and could barely get 0.5Mb
    Tesco and 48 "sit" on same (three) network so changing from one to another will not make any difference.

DopeTech wrote: »

Think I got sorted. Had to request an unlocking code for the router as it's locked to eir. Thanks. If you're ever switching usernames give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Think I got sorted. Had to request an unlocking code for the router as it's locked to eir. Thanks. If you're ever switching usernames give me a shout.

Are Eir going to give you the unlock code? Mine locked to Vodafone but said they don't give them out

christy c wrote: »
    Are Eir going to give you the unlock code? Mine locked to Vodafone but said they don't give them out

Not sure. I filled out the form on the website so hoping they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Tamsta wrote: »
    Tesco and 48 "sit" on same (three) network so changing from one to another will not make any difference.

I am on Tesco at the minute and waiting on my 48 sim.
    Do you mean I should get identical service I get now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

vectra wrote: »
    I am on Tesco at the minute and waiting on my 48 sim.
    Do you mean I should get identical service I get now?

Should be identical.

When I loaded up the sim, I got a text to say they have applied the new settings.

When I check the access point settings it says tescomobile, so it's tesco mobile with the 48.ie name so should be no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭bassy

does 48 network use 3 network??.

bassy wrote: »
    does 48 network use 3 network??.

Yes. Even 48 internet is working with Tesco APN settings :) Didn't try vice versa but I'm pretty sure it would work without any problems. To my knowledge GoMo is the only virtual network provider that uses not 3's network. Tesco, Lyca and 48 are on physical 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭userfriendly

Yes. Even 48 internet is working with Tesco APN settings :) Didn't try vice versa but I'm pretty sure it would work without any problems. To my knowledge GoMo is the only virtual network provider that uses not 3's network. Tesco, Lyca and 48 are on physical 3.

Post mobile is on the Vodafone network

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ireland_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Post mobile is on the Vodafone network
    Totally forgot about Post and their mobile :o Probably because they offer same thing for double the price :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Totally forgot about Post and their mobile :o Probably because they offer same thing for double the price :eek:

In fairness they sell VF product for better value than VF. On VF you pay 20 every 28 days for calls, texts and 10Gb 4G.
    On post mobile you get 25Gb for 20 every calendar month.
    Only issue is roaming minutes are 250 mins.

same thing + much more with 48 = €8 per calendar month :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Should be identical.

When I loaded up the sim, I got a text to say they have applied the new settings.

When I check the access point settings it says tescomobile, so it's tesco mobile with the 48.ie name so should be no difference.

If you had a Tesco SIM in the phone before using 48 SIM then the phone is reusing APN settings from Tesco SIM because both 48 and Tesco use the same MNC.

The 48 APN is...
    48months.liffeytelecom.com

...maybe it doesn't matter whether it's a Tesco or 48 APN but it might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

So got my sim today and it works fine. Was planning on paying the €7.99 plan on the existing 48 number just to test and in a few days port don Tesco to that 48 sim. Will my €7.99 plan still be active after the port or will I have to pay another €7.99 does anyone know?

Also I have a second 48 sim. My plan was to put it in my daughters phone and not buy a membership for her but transfer her 3GB of data each month. Can I transfer her the data I’d she doesn’t have a paid membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

Ordered a sim one week ago.No sign of it yet.Ordered recruiter sims last Friday

• Advertisement

jarvis wrote: »
    So got my sim today and it works fine. Was planning on paying the €7.99 plan on the existing 48 number just to test and in a few days port don Tesco to that 48 sim. Will my €7.99 plan still be active after the port or will I have to pay another €7.99 does anyone know?
    Yes your membership will be active after number transfer, you'll not have to buy new membership after number change.
    Also I have a second 48 sim. My plan was to put it in my daughters phone and not buy a membership for her but transfer her 3GB of data each month. Can I transfer her the data I’d she doesn’t have a paid membership?
    I doubt 48 would leave such a big loophole in their T&Cs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

No - she would have to have an active membership for you to transfer anything to her account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Just got a sim in the post.
    Thinking of porting my young lad over from GoMo (he's on the 12.99 package currently).

Was activating the sim and asked "Do you want a new 089 number or do you want to keep your existing Irish mobile number?"

I'd prefer to test out the coverage etc first before committing to a port. In this case i'm assuming I select "New Number" - and can port in a few days if all goes well?

Sorry if this has already been asked / answered.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Just got a sim in the post.
    Thinking of porting my young lad over from GoMo (he's on the 12.99 package currently).

Was activating the sim and asked "Do you want a new 089 number or do you want to keep your existing Irish mobile number?"

I'd prefer to test out the coverage etc first before committing to a port. In this case i'm assuming I select "New Number" - and can port in a few days if all goes well?

Sorry if this has already been asked / answered.

Yep you can port any time afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Yep you can port any time afterwards

exactly my plan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

My Kids phones are on Three and I assumed locked to their network, do I still have to get them unlocked if moving to 48, given that Three own 48 ?? Thanks

Macer123 wrote: »
    My Kids phones are on Three and I assumed locked to their network, do I still have to get them unlocked if moving to 48, given that Three own 48 ?? Thanks

Yep

Got my sim card just now.
    Before I jump ship.
    I notice people posting about what the package has and has not.
    Can someone explain what I would lose / gain by moving?
    Currently on Tesco 4g Prepay15 plan.
    OH
    How long does the porting take?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Got my sim card just now.
    Before I jump ship.
    I notice people posting about what the package has and has not.
    Can someone explain what I would lose / gain by moving?
    Currently on Tesco 4g Prepay15 plan.
    OH
    How long does the porting take?
    Thanks

You don't have to port your number immediately (or ever). Leave the Tesco SIM aside for a few days and then decide.

IMO there's no upside to staying with Tesco EXCEPT maybe international calls that are probably much cheaper depending on destination but there's calling apps for that. Tesco plan is almost twice the price and doesn't include any text. Even the 9.99 48 plan was already better than Tesco 15e plan before this 7.99 plan became available.

Tesco does allow you to keep the credit but it's gone after 28 days if unused.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    You don't have to port your number immediately (or ever). Leave the Tesco SIM aside for a few days and then decide.

IMO there's no upside to staying with Tesco EXCEPT maybe international calls that are probably much cheaper depending on destination but there's calling apps for that. Tesco plan is almost twice the price and doesn't include any text. Even the 9.99 48 plan was already better than Tesco 15e plan before this 7.99 plan became available.

Tesco does allow you to keep the credit but it's gone after 28 days if unused.

I rarely if ever make international calls to be honest.
    So looks like I might as well move across then as I only have a couple of days left in my tesco plan.
    Thanks

Advertisement