Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

So I got a sim to try out 48. Have 4 gomos at present but at 7.99, this is worth a look.
    First impressions are data in the Tallaght area is very hit and miss. Was driving around yesterday and saw highs of 16 meg and lows of 2 meg (greenhills)
    Sitting at home now and Gomo giving me 30 meg and 48 giving me 4 meg.

Biggest issue I have is the site. It appears seriously hard work and poor to find answers. I do a lot of travel up north and UK. Does the 48 sim allow basic calls back to Ireland included? The support site appears to say no

https://48.ie/charges/roaming

Can anyone clarify this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Just ported over and the whole process took about 2 minutes. It said it may take a few hours but nearly straight away my Tesco mobile sim went dead and 48 was active. I put the new sim in and got a message saying port complete and welcome etc.
    However when I try add membership it tells me I can’t because my port is in progress.
    Is this the norm? Might it take a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭KildareP

vectra wrote: »
    Got my sim card just now.
    Before I jump ship.
    I notice people posting about what the package has and has not.
    Can someone explain what I would lose / gain by moving?
    Currently on Tesco 4g Prepay15 plan.
    OH
    How long does the porting take?
    Thanks
    You'd lose:
    - the ability to collect Clubcard points
    - cheap international calls
    - No walk-in or phone based customer service options.

You'd gain:
    - €7.01 extra in your pocket every month (€7.99 vs €15)

- Unlimited calls and texts (vs unlimited calls only)
    - 100GB of data (instead of 15GB, or 30GB if you have a clubcard)

Porting can be anything from instant to 2 hours.

I ported one SIM over, it was instant and I could buy a bundle immediately.

I ported my own SIM over, the port was instant but it took an hour before I could buy a bundle.

Advice would be to do it at a time you know you won't need to use your phone for an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JAMCAR

longcock wrote: »
    I had the same with my call waiting with GoMo, could not activate it no matter what smart phone I used. Put my SIM into an old Nokia non smart phone, keyed in *43# + send, perfect call waiting activated. Put SIM back into smart phone and perfect. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for your help, this sorted it out,

• Registered Users Posts: 44 longcock

JAMCAR wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your help, this sorted it out,

You're more than welcome, glad to be of assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

jarvis wrote: »
    Just ported over and the whole process took about 2 minutes. It said it may take a few hours but nearly straight away my Tesco mobile sim went dead and 48 was active. I put the new sim in and got a message saying port complete and welcome etc.
    However when I try add membership it tells me I can’t because my port is in progress.
    Is this the norm? Might it take a while?

To answer my own question and hopefully help others. I got on live chat. 10 seconds wait!!!!!

She said hang on. Then said try now and it was all good.

Signs are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aligns

So I got a sim to try out 48. Have 4 gomos at present but at 7.99, this is worth a look.
    First impressions are data in the Tallaght area is very hit and miss. Was driving around yesterday and saw highs of 16 meg and lows of 2 meg (greenhills)

Biggest issue I have is the site. It appears seriously hard work and poor to find answers. I do a lot of travel up north and UK. Does the 48 sim allow basic calls back to Ireland included? The support site appears to say no

Can anyone clarify this?

Just signed up - transferred from eir. I seem to be getting better signal with 48, which is odd.

Checking the "roaming" section of the app - looks like you still have unlimited texts/minutes, but it doesn't give locations for these.

i.imgur.com/zbqrsWT.jpg

Aligns wrote: »
    Just signed up - transferred from eir. I seem to be getting better signal with 48, which is odd.

Checking the "roaming" section of the app - looks like you still have unlimited texts/minutes, but it doesn't give locations for these.

i.imgur.com/zbqrsWT.jpg
    EU countries

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aligns

KildareP wrote: »
    EU countries

I mean locations for where you can call or text for free - if you check their website it says you are still charged.

When travelling to Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijani Republic, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Rep, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, French Antilles, French Guiana, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte/ Reunion, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovak Rep, Slovenia Rep, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UK (incl NI) or Ukraine you'll pay:

Calls to mobiles and Landlines

23.37c per minute

Texts

7.38c per SMS

All International call charges are inc VAT and are charged per minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

48 use Three's network. Different network, different signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭_John C

What are the top up amount options? €10, €20, €30 etc. or can you top up by any amount e.g. €24 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Must the7.99 member ship be renewed before it runs out each month?
    Does one lose it if not renewed for a few days later?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Must the7.99 member ship be renewed before it runs out each month?
    Does one lose it if not renewed for a few days later?

You can leave gaps. You only lose it if you switch to another plan which at this point at least would not make any economic sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭spakman

I mean locations for where you can call or text for free - if you check their website it says you are still charged.

When travelling to Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijani Republic, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Rep, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, French Antilles, French Guiana, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte/ Reunion, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovak Rep, Slovenia Rep, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UK (incl NI) or Ukraine you'll pay:

Calls to mobiles and Landlines

23.37c per minute

Texts

7.38c per SMS

All International call charges are inc VAT and are charged per minute.

Roaming is different to making an international call.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Is anyone having a problem with personal hotspot on iPhones? Just got a sim and on personal hotspot it says "To enable personal hotspot on this account, contact Carrier"

Edit: Nevermind, got it working

jdon72 wrote: »
    Is anyone having a problem with personal hotspot on iPhones? Just got a sim and on personal hotspot it says "To enable personal hotspot on this account, contact Carrier"
    You need to set up your APN fully in Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Network.

You need to put "48months.liffeytelecom.com" into the "APN" field for each section:

- Mobile Data
    - LTE Setup
    - MMS
    - Personal Hotspot

Additionally, for MMS, you need to enter:
    - MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    - MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19

KildareP wrote: »
    You need to set up your APN fully in Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Network.

You need to put "48months.liffeytelecom.com" into the "APN" field for each section:

- Mobile Data
    - LTE Setup
    - MMS
    - Personal Hotspot

Additionally, for MMS, you need to enter:
    - MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    - MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19

My automatic setting show tescomobile but have never been with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Just switched to 48 but it shows Tesco Mobile on my phone, Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

SNNUS wrote: »
    Just switched to 48 but it shows Tesco Mobile on my phone, Is this normal?

Same here.

https://48.ie/charges/roaming

Can anyone clarify this?

Unlimited texts to Irish mobile numbers and Irish landline numbers while in the Republic of Ireland and texts made while roaming in EU to other EU numbers and back to Republic of Ireland. Fair Usage of 10,000 texts applies to unlimited texts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I just got my sim.
    I was going to trial it for a week or 2 before commuting but I can already see major differences compared to my GoMo on iPhones side by side.

GoMo on E with 1 bar and 48 on LTE with 2/3 bars.
    Speed rest in the house where I have no GoMo signal at all was 25mb.

Now before I port from GoMo is there anything I should be afraid of.
    I may need to top up with additional “credit” to make some calls?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I want to switch but am not sure if I'm under contract with Three. How would one know? Can i just ring Three and ask am I under contract to them? I didn't get a phone with them but am on a special rate for public service, I think it was a one year deal thing.

longcock wrote: »
    Unlimited texts to Irish mobile numbers and Irish landline numbers while in the Republic of Ireland and texts made while roaming in EU to other EU numbers and back to Republic of Ireland. Fair Usage of 10,000 texts applies to unlimited texts.

That reads like the FAQ section. but doesnt actually clarify the question.

Unlimited texts to Irish mobile numbers and Irish landline numbers while in the Republic of Ireland ***GOT IT***

and texts made while roaming in EU to other EU numbers and back to Republic of Ireland ***WHAT ABOUT CALLS?***

Not shouting, just want to highlight.

This is from 48.ie website. This must be incorrect. Unlimited Call and Texts to any EU number when Roaming?

Unlimited minutes for calls made to landlines including non-geographic numbers (1800, 1850, 1890, 0818, …) and mobiles within the Republic of Ireland and calls made while roaming in EU to other EU numbers and back to Republic of Ireland. Fair Usage of 10,000 minutes applies to unlimited calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

This is from 48.ie website. This must be incorrect. Unlimited Call and Texts to any EU number when Roaming?

Unlimited minutes for calls made to landlines including non-geographic numbers (1800, 1850, 1890, 0818, …) and mobiles within the Republic of Ireland and calls made while roaming in EU to other EU numbers and back to Republic of Ireland. Fair Usage of 10,000 minutes applies to unlimited calls.

It is correct, think of it as "Roam like at home"...EEA is home when roaming in EEA so home calls at home becomes EEA calls when roaming within EEA (similarly for UK).

Ten Pin wrote: »
    It is correct, think of it as "Roam like at home"...EEA is home when roaming in EEA so home calls at home becomes EEA calls when roaming (within EEA, similarly for UK).

I understand when calling back to Ireland from an EU country that would be included, But lets say when it the UK being able to call any EU country for free, surely not!

That reads like the FAQ section. but doesnt actually clarify the question.

Unlimited texts to Irish mobile numbers and Irish landline numbers while in the Republic of Ireland ***GOT IT***

and texts made while roaming in EU to other EU numbers and back to Republic of Ireland ***WHAT ABOUT CALLS?***

Not shouting, just want to highlight.

Similar with calls see post #614

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I understand when calling back to Ireland from an EU country that would be included, But lets say when in the UK being able to call any EU country for free, surely not!

11. If I travel and call or text a friend, do I have to worry on which operator he/she is or whether it is a fixed or mobile?

No. When you are roaming in the EU, all calls to mobile and fixed numbers in the EU will be counted against your national volume of minutes (or will be unlimited if you have unlimited calls at home), exactly as if you were calling within your home country. If you have distinct so-called ‘on-net’ and ‘off-net’ volumes in your national bundle, all the roaming minutes may be all deducted from the off-net volume, and also when you call another subscriber of the same domestic operator while roaming.

For example: If you have a Belgian card and you travel to France and call either a hotel in France, back home to Belgium, or to any other country in the EU and the EEA, you are roaming (refer to legal text on the regulation on roaming) , and you will pay Belgian internal domestic prices (refer to legal text).

However, if a Belgian SIM card holder calls from Belgium to Spain, she/he will pay the international tariff. Calls from home to another EU country are not roaming and are not regulated.

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/faq/question-and-answers-roaming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

trying to port the wife's number there - got a message saying "problem porting your number" - "did you enter prepay unregistered rather than prepay registered" etc... her name was registered with Gomo and I had put "registered prepay" so done it again now but not sure what is going on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

trying to port the wife's number there - got a message saying "problem porting your number" - "did you enter prepay unregistered rather than prepay registered" etc... her name was registered with Gomo and I had put "registered prepay" so done it again now but not sure what is going on...

Should be billpay I think m8

Advertisement