Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I've just read about the murders of April Jones and Sophie Hook after the above posts.
    Stomach churning... I might need to unsubscribe to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sorry if my post sounded pedantic

The only reason I corrected you is that his family have stated that it upsets them when people refer to him as Jamie as that is not his name even though the media always named his as Jamie.

This has been mentioned previously in the thread. I presume you haven't read the whole thread.

I should have mentioned this in my original reply to you however.

The James/Jamie Bulger thing was all media led and Jamie is now the name most people would know of having had it imprinted in their brain from dozens of newspaper headlines and tv reports at the time. Even the BBC were referring to him as Jamie. Im not sure which media organisation started it but they all followed like a herd and now despite the protestations of the Bulger family Jamie has stuck forever.

It is similar with the Spurs footballer Dele 'Alli' who was abandoned by his parents as a kid and raised by adoptive parents. He has said he has no connection to the Alli surname and hasnt seen or spoken to his father since the age of 11. He has publicly stated that he only wants to be known as Dele and not the Alli surname. The name on the back of his jersey is Dele and nothing else.

I was at the Spurs Liverpool game last January and the stadium announcer when calling out the teams referred to him only as Dele so he has gotten he memo. But then later that night when I was watching the highlights of the game on BBCs Match of the Day the commentator kept referring to him as Dele Alli. Of course Dele himself must be watching Match of the Day too and listening to himself being called a name he doesnt want to be. I've since noticed that all commentators and newspapers still refer to him as Dele Alli despite him saying he doesnt want to be known as that because of the way he was abandoned as a kid. He has tried to get the media to shake it but they wont, probably through ignorance or the tabloids just being deliberately obtuse in an effort to wind him up in the hope he will lash out at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Edgware wrote: »
    Also the terrible murder of little Sophie Hook in Llandudno. It happened in 1995. She was only 7. A scumbag by the name of Howard Hughes was convicted. It still casts a terrible shadow over a lovely seaside resort.

Now that I remember well. Dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Albert Fish. Gordon Stuart Northcott.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

Just listened to a podcast about the two couples in NI. What a story.

All devout Christians in the Baptist Church of course.

Anyway the two wives had affairs with their opposite husbands, or vicey versey. One (playing away) couple died in their garage apparently of C02 suicide.

Years later Colin the Dentist admitted to killing them. So much for the god fearing congregation, and everyone knew about it in their areas. Mad stuff!

Look up the murder of Lesley Clarke and Trevor Buchanan.

Where can I find link to podcast please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Michael_Gilbert

Happened in Luton, harmless chap with learning difficulties kept captive and milked for benefits by dross family and their gf's, eventually murdered and dismembered when they got bored of him, shame the same fate couldn't happen to the waste of space perpetrators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Carodh wrote: »
    Dessie O Hare the Border Fox kidnapping DentistJohn O Grady. I was only 13 years old and It seemed to be the only news back then. The Garda did checkpoints all over the country and I remember them coming onto our bus doing a check. I used walk 30 yards in the dark to my uncles to get a lift to the bus & I was absolutely petrified as we lived in a real wooded area and even to this day I get a chill down my back if I hear his name mentioned.

This one. Though I only heard about it later because I was too young when it happened. The detail that always sticks with me was poor O’Grady having the presence of mind to instruct them in cauterising the wound that was left from them chiseling off his finger.

Another murder that has given me nightmares - Japanese schoolgirl Junko Furuta. I can’t bring myself to repeat any of the details here. They are sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Sharon Whelan & her 2 daughters. The postman murdered her on Christmas Eve & set fire to the house with the poor kids asleep waiting on Santa. I think it was around 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Another murder that has given me nightmares - Japanese schoolgirl Junko Furuta. I can’t bring myself to repeat any of the details here. They are sickening.

Christ, that one of the japanese girl is something you would think could never happen in this world. I've never read anything so barbaric and sadistic in all my life. :(

Christ, that one of the japanese girl is something you would think could never happen in this world. I've never read anything so barbaric and sadistic in all my life. :(

I know. When you are begging for your captors to kill you, things are very bad.

And the Japanese media was tugging the lad off itself to it too which is disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So many horrific crimes committed in my 45 years on this Earth, it’s hard to know where to even start, but the 1993 Jamie Bulger murder by those two young boys, the 2004 Beslan massacre in Russia, the Anna Kriegel murder, the 1996 Dunblane massacre and Sandy Hook all left an indelible impression on my psyche.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Fred and Rose West is the case that affected me the most. Dozens of women and girls even their own children, missing for decades some of them and forgotten. The Wests were beyond thick yet they were able to get away with years of rape, torture and murder. It blows my mind that it took so long and so many victims before they were stopped. And a very real.possibility there are other women and girls left buried since the 1960s still undiscovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I just googled Junko Furuta. I shouldn't have :(
    That poor girl. Its hard to think that sort of evil exists.

Mules wrote: »

I’ve yet to read of any murder case that tops it. I’m not sure why it affected me so much. I think it’s two things - how long her ordeal dragged on for and that she was basically dehumanised for the entirety of the ordeal. She was no longer a human to the perpetrators.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,726 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Front page of the Sun today..

April 2002 murder of Nicola Sweeney in Cork, and attempted murder of her friend, Sinead O’Leary..

Utterly disgusting to read that the scumbag, Peter Whelan has been before the parole board 4 times already, before he had even served a day of his life sentence for Nicola’s murder..

15 years for attempted murder, and when this completed he then to serve his life sentence..

Not a shred of remorse shown..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Sounds like he was killed for €4,000. That's so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Trans Ann

WHAT? I know I sound ghoulish don't mean to, but that one doesn't register with me.

Yes, look it up. All the locals know who done it too but evidence isn't there for garda to arrest him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Mules wrote: »
    I’ve yet to read of any murder case that tops it. I’m not sure why it affected me so much. I think it’s two things - how long her ordeal dragged on for and that she was basically dehumanised for the entirety of the ordeal. She was no longer a human to the perpetrators.

I've said it in this thread before, I heard about this girl here on boards, & it is by far the saddest thing I've ever read. Breaks my heart for what that young girl had been put through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Fascinating thread.

I don't think any case in our lifetime will top Graham Dwyer. Not just the murder itself- from the plot to lure the estate agent who worked nearby, his demented rambling manifesto where he goes on about his hero being God as he can give and end life just as he has as a father, I don't think we will ever see anything as off the wall again.

Staggering that at least some of the family have stood by him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Fascinating thread.

I don't think any case in our lifetime will top Graham Dwyer. Not just the murder itself- from the plot to lure the estate agent who worked nearby, his demented rambling manifesto where he goes on about his hero being God as he can give and end life just as he has as a father, I don't think we will ever see anything as off the wall again.

Staggering that at least some of the family have stood by him.

Kriegel murder was much worse, the fact that it was almost carbon copy of a murder in the John Connolly book The Burning Soul is strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Kriegel murder was much worse, the fact that it was almost carbon copy of a murder in the John Connolly book The Burning Soul is strange

Regrettable as it was, it was hardly particularly shocking in terms of never happening before. Something like that happens once every decade or two in Ireland. Robert Holohan, Philip Cairns, an all but forgotten murder of a Kyle Curran in Waterford in the 80's, the again all but forgotten satanic murder in Lucan in the 70s.

Something like the AK murder, or the above mentioned ones, will happen in Ireland within the next 20 years.

There will never be a case quite as bizarre as the Dwyer one in this country for as long as we live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Regrettable as it was, it was hardly particularly shocking in terms of never happening before. Something like that happens once every decade or two in Ireland. Robert Holohan, Philip Cairns, an all but forgotten murder of a Kyle Curran in Waterford in the 80's, the again all but forgotten satanic murder in Lucan in the 70s.

Something like the AK murder, or the above mentioned ones, will happen in Ireland within the next 20 years.

There will never be a case quite as bizarre as the Dwyer one in this country for as long as we live.

That satanic murder was in Palmerstown. I would say the Anna Kriegel murder was a lot more disturbing than that of Graham Dwyer's case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

That satanic murder was in Palmerstown. I would say the Anna Kriegel murder was a lot more disturbing than that of Graham Dwyer's case.

I think Dwyer was part of the clique, a black sheep in the Dublin middle classes

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

The killings by Mark Nash in 1997 were very weird and random. So he and his girlfriend take a trip to rural Roscommon where her sister lived with her young husband, all in their late 20s. They spend the evening drinking spirits and smoking marijuana. Later that night Nash is sick, then after he attacks the 2 women in an upstairs bedroom. Then he goes downstairs, where the husband is asleep on the sofa. Nash takes a knife from the kitchen and stabs him multiple times. All while Nash and his bird had 2 young kids with them upstairs sleeping. He then takes off on a bike in the middle of the night and starts cycling to Galway. His girlfriend just about survives but the other 2 die, she raises the alarm and he is caught the next day.
    Years later or sometime while in custody, he admits to carrying out a random killing of 2 elderly women in Dublin. He breaks into a house or something after another drinking session, and decides to kill the 2 defenceless old women in the house. I think he even says that they were sleeping and the voices in his head made him do it.
    I heard he is also suspected of a killing in Huddersfield, England while he was living there.

I lived in a shared house on Clonliffe Road in 2000 for a couple of years. The other two had been there since '98. Every so often a letter would arrive addressed to Mark Nash, from the Central Mental Hospital. I remembered reading about his case at the time, "Mark Nash, of Clonliffe Road, Drumcondra..." and the penny dropped. The landlord lived about 10 doors down, and we'd drop the rent in to him. Occasionally we'd be maybe a week late, but I remember thinking, at least we're not as bad as his previous tenant!
    Horrific stuff perpetrated by that Nash guy.

Edit: The two elderly woman were killed in Grangegorman Psychiatric Hospital, and Nash was the prime suspect. However another guy Dean Lyons, described as an eccentric Walter Mitty type, confessed to those killings. He later retracted his confession, and died of a heroin overdose not long after.
    While double checking the details of this I discovered that Nash was eventually tried and convicted of these murders. I thought he'd gotten off with it on a technicality due to the other guy's confession.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saw a programme about Robert Black on Sky, pity he was born too late to have a rope put around his neck and let him swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There was a case about a family who went to Roscommon on the rural resettlement scheme and were murdered. Not sure if Mark Nash was involved.

Does anyone remember this.

Edit just found this. Monster Nash indeed, hope he will never be released.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/mark-nash-killer-murdered-four-people-in-just-four-months-1.2182496

• Registered Users Posts: 54,726 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There was a case about a family who went to Roscommon on the rural resettlement scheme and were murdered. Not sure if Mark Nash was involved.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/mark-nash-killer-murdered-four-people-in-just-four-months-1.2182496

Mark Nash?

Monster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Weird I've randomly remembered this guy through this thread. Hopefully he'll never get out, can't imagine he ever will. This is from just May.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/retired-detective-who-helped-nail-18227311

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The guy who killed his wife Siobhan with the vacuum cord. Brian Kearney.

I think there absolutely should be a list of these monsters when they are released. But GDPR... forgot that one.

Advertisement