Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

No one went to jail for the crime Jay is talking about

Just googled it there and you are right. Maybe he was just after getting out for something else.
    Or maybe she was lieing :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Scumbag drug dealers argument, brought it on himself, how much money would he have made from music, yet the greedy bastard bought 10kg of cocaine, to ruin his own community, and greed got him killed. Not a tragedy at all in my eyes, funny how some people see him as a hero.

I don't think it was straight greed. Seems he was in some debt and owed back taxes. Trying to cut the other two lads out of the deal was obviously the wrong move that got him killed.
    I agree with you that the drugs would be bad for the community, I see it as a tragedy that his talent got wasted because he took the wrong path.

I stand by my RIP for JMJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

iamstop wrote: »
    I don't think it was straight greed. Seems he was in some debt and owed back taxes. Trying to cut the other two lads out of the deal was obviously the wrong move that got him killed.
    I agree with you that the drugs would be bad for the community, I see it as a tragedy that his talent got wasted because he took the wrong path.

I stand by my RIP for JMJ.

I didn't say I was happy with the chap dying, just that he was not a kid, and was big enough to know right from wrong, financial pressure contributes to bad choices for sure, and the amount of hangers on and childhood friends looking for handouts would have been very difficult to deal with. Black communities more than anywhere else have loyalty to friends and family, where you are expected to look after everyone when you make a few quid, NFL players are notorious for this, they could have a crime thread all of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

No one went to jail for the crime Jay is talking about

No unfortunately not, one of them was playing football again for his local team within a year, walked around like nothing ever happened.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The horrific life and death of little Peter Connelly, more widely known as the Baby P case.

I followed the story at the time and I've rarely read anything that induced such feelings of utter heartache for what he endured to feelings of searing, primal rage towards those that were guilty. Ive become a father since the case and I cannot bring myself to read anything about it again.

I was travelling home from the UK the day the sentence was passed, in that case, and it was on every tv screen in the airport. That little child's image is haunting, the poor little mite.

Such evil is almost unbelievable. One wishes it was unbelievable.

• Advertisement

There is an AMA on Reddit from a guy who hunts medical serial killers. He mentions Dr. Swango as one of the worst. Reading about him now. Mad, weird, almost unbelievable stuff. Crazy how he got away with it for so long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Swango

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

coinop wrote: »
    Ah yes, the murder of Nicola Furlong. Such a pretty girl. Why she went back to the hotel with that monster I'll never understand. The killer has shown no remorse but thankfully the Japanese have a proper justice system so he won't be enjoying freedom anytime soon. Compare to how the Irish justice system treated the Japanese student murdered by the jihadi in the Dundalk terrorist attack in January 2018. The Egyptian terrorist confessed he carried out the attack on behalf of ISIS yet the Irish authorities immediate reaction was to brush it under the carpet "shhh, don't talk about that, it was mental health issues". Our so called justice system a national embarrassment on the world stage. The victim's older sister, Shiori Sasaki, said it best: "I can't understand why a mentally unstable foreign national, whose origin was unknown, was allowed to be in the town. Mr Morei had his rights protected but my brother was deprived of his. It is truly infuriating and will forever be unforgivable".
    Nicola Furlong's murderer got sentenced to 10 years minus 4 months already spent in jail, and was eligible for parole after 5. That's much lighter than what he'd have gotten for murder here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

iamstop wrote: »
    There is an AMA on Reddit from a guy who hunts medical serial killers. He mentions Dr. Swango as one of the worst. Reading about him now. Mad, weird, almost unbelievable stuff. Crazy how he got away with it for so long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Swango

Fantastic name. The bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭osullic

When I was a young child and living in Thurles Martin Doherty murdered his parents.

This was really shocking and the fact it was so close to home meant it always stuck with me. I remember lots of kids from the area came out to see the blood stains on the curtains and windows.

I think he’s still in the central mental hospital.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/brother-says-he-was-shown-parents-bodies-1.1113525?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Nicola Furlong's murderer got sentenced to 10 years minus 4 months already spent in jail, and was eligible for parole after 5. That's much lighter than what he'd have gotten for murder here in Ireland.

The Japanese prison system is a lot harsher(forced labour etc as far as I know). I know that’s not what the poster said though.

• Advertisement

Once I learned about it I've always been interested in the DB Cooper case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

poisonated wrote: »
    The Japanese prison system is a lot harsher(forced labour etc as far as I know). I know that’s not what the poster said though.

What happens if you dont labour for them!?

I was travelling home from the UK the day the sentence was passed, in that case, and it was on every tv screen in the airport. That little child's image is haunting, the poor little mite.

Such evil is almost unbelievable. One wishes it was unbelievable.

This case is the one that always sticks in my mind,I try not to think about it tbh as it sickens me,such a gorgeous little boy,I can only imagine what he endured and as awful as it sounds I think he would have just gone on to suffer even more,he was let down by everyone who should have saved him. There was one particular photo that was always shown of his beautiful smiling face but I read afterwards that if you looked closely at it it was clear that one cheek was badly swollen, that actually broke my heart, to think that in the midst of it all he smiled for a camera.

Absolutely dirty ,rotten scum responsible for a little childs horrific suffering, I hope they f***king rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That b****** in Cavan butchering his wife and three beautiful children.
    Everything around it was shocking, his ego and standing in the community, how it was agreed that he be buried with them ( I’d have dug him up and threw him in a bog hole) and how the community nearly had him canonised before the truth came out.
    He was some piece of controlling s***. He could have ended his own life but was afraid the kids would find out the truth about him and what he was doing on his school computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

TheW1zard wrote: »
    What happens if you dont labour for them!?

That is a good question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

That b****** in Cavan butchering his wife and three beautiful children.
    Everything around it was shocking, his ego and standing in the community, how it was agreed that he be buried with them ( I’d have dug him up and threw him in a bog hole) and how the community nearly had him canonised before the truth came out.
    He was some piece of controlling s***. He could have ended his own life but was afraid the kids would find out the truth about him and what he was doing on his school computer.

That was a horrible one in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ and it actually happened around this time of the year, just before the new school year started. I think of them every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The disappearance of Claudia Lawrence in York.
    I can’t say for certain if it’s a crime but the police have questioned people over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Be right back

Jo Dollard, Annie McCarrick, Deirdre Jacobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Jo Dollard, Annie McCarrick, Deirdre Jacobs.

Thought there were five of them? Unlikely whoever took them would remain free without some friends in high places

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

This case is the one that always sticks in my mind,I try not to think about it tbh as it sickens me,such a gorgeous little boy, I can only imagine what he endured and as awful as it sounds I think he would have just gone on to suffer even more,he was let down by everyone who should have saved him. There was one particular photo that was always shown of his beautiful smiling face but I read afterwards that if you looked closely at it it was clear that one cheek was badly swollen, that actually broke my heart, to think that in the midst of it all he smiled for a camera.

Absolutely dirty ,rotten scum responsible for a little childs horrific suffering, I hope they f***king rot.

I had the same thought, tbh. Poor little mite.

It doesn't bear thinking about. And sadly, his is far from the only case of children being treated in the most horrific way, ending in their deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭Heckler

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-53828154

The Golden State Killer AKA the East Area Rapist.

There are some chilling podcasts about him. A truly depraved man.

Fascinating how they caught him, through geneology etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I watched some of the victim impact statements, very surreal as those of us who've learned a bit about this type of nut always have the awareness that people sharing their pain can unintentionally increase the offender's pleasure.
    I know the statements were made as part of the official record, but still, was creepy watching him there in his mask!

As well as that, having been following the case for years, it still is hard to believe he was caught. I have seen a good few now done this way, think the Alaska cold case was the other WOW , but I know there are loads more. It's a wild time for the True Crime club :-)

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/08/12/alaska-cold-case-murder-jessica-baggen-17-solved-using-dna/3352772001/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Thought there were five of them? Unlikely whoever took them would remain free without some friends in high places
    There is a complete lack of compelling evidence to enable the Gardai to solve the particular cases particularly in relation to Annie McCarrick, JoJo Dullard and Eva Brennan. McCarrick, Dullard and Jacob were, more than likely, abducted and murdered either by the same individual or different individuals. Who can say? A long period of time has elapsed since these events occurred making successful prosecutions all the more unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The case of Michael Bambrick has strong parallels with Graham Dwyer, he killed two women including his wife in Dublin in the early 90s in what he claimed were accidental deaths during bondage sessions then dismembered and dumped their remains. Amazingly this psychopath was convicted of manslaughter and served 13 years, he's currently out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

The murders of teenagers Nicholas Kunselman (15) and his girlfriend Stephanie Hart (16). Their murders took place a few months after the infamous Columbine High school shootings, which they were both present at and had survived unharmed. Nicholas Kunselman worked at a Subway sandwich shop and was working there the night of the murders. According to her mother, Stephanie decided to go to the Subway to visit her boyfriend. A few hours later another employee drove by the shop and noticed that it was still open way past closing time. Upon entering, he found their bodies behind the counter. They had both been shot to death. Murder-suicide was ruled out by police. Robbery as a motive was also ruled out as nothing had been taken. There was a surveillance camera in the shop, but it hadn't been turned on that night. Their murders remain unsolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

chicorytip wrote: »
    There is a complete lack of compelling evidence to enable the Gardai to solve the particular cases particularly in relation to Annie McCarrick, JoJo Dullard and Eva Brennan. McCarrick, Dullard and Jacob were, more than likely, abducted and murdered either by the same individual or different individuals. Who can say? A long period of time has elapsed since these events occurred making successful prosecutions all the more unlikely.
    There is also Fiona Synott, Ciara Breen and Fiona Pender.
    While some of these disappearnces are possibly linked there is every likelihood that the majority are stand alone incidents, some with close family/acquaintance involvement.
    Remember the Gillane case in Gort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Edgware wrote: »
    There is also Fiona Synott, Ciara Breen and Fiona Pender.
    While some of these disappearnces are possibly linked there is every likelihood that the majority are stand alone incidents, some with close family/acquaintance involvement.
    Remember the Gillane case in Gort.

Fiona Pender was the pregnant girl , wasn't she?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

That's right. Tullamore area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Yes. Chief suspect is her partner. Speculation that he had help in disposing of her body and given a false alibi by some people close to him.

Advertisement