Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

The IRA bomb in Warrington where they murdered a 3 yr old and a 12 yr old as well as injuring many others. Horrible unless you were/are an IRA supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Heckler wrote: »
    Denis Rader AKA the BTK strangler. Always shivered me to the bone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader

And how he got caught is nuts. After 20 years he asks the police if they can trace a floppy disk. They say nah. He sends its and is caught.

His court testimony is up there on youtube. Chilling stuff.

A stupid fcuker, apart from everything else, if i recall correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

chicorytip wrote: »
    The name of a prominent female broadcast journalist was also withheld from public disclosure for the same reason.

Im not so sure tbh about those claims. I mean of Dwyer had dirt on some well known, prominent individuals surely he would have given it up at this stage with nothing to lose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

walshb wrote: »
    I always remember the abduction and killing of Corporals Howe and Woods in March 1988 when a nationalist mob surrounded them and killed them..horrifying..

The video for any curious youngsters who weren't around at the time. The mob mentality turns men into animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

One recent crime that gave me chills was the case of Chris Watts. Its fascinating as most of it is documented via police cameras and video evidence. Wiped out his whole family pregnant wife and two young daugthers. Slung them in an oil silo. One video shows his daughter singing about "her hero" father. Very very very sad case. A true monster that man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB8nVk-5eh8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

So many...

Rachel Reilly’s stands out for me in Ireland..

Everything about it. Couldn’t make it up...

As for terrifying and traumatic and wild, I always remember the abduction and killing of Corporals Howe and Woods in March 1988 when a nationalist mob surrounded them and killed them..horrifying..

They got what they deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Dental Floss

One recent crime that gave me chills was the case of Chris Watts. Its fascinating as most of it is documented via police cameras and video evidence. Wiped out his whole family pregnant wife and two young daugthers. Slung them in an oil silo. One video shows his daughter singing about "her hero" father. Very very very sad case. A true monster that man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB8nVk-5eh8

I came here to post that monsters name. This one hit me so hard as a father that it hurts my heart and will always haunt me. How could he do it, he had a great family & life. I followed the case from the start and watched every video. I'm welling up thinking of how he ended his wife, and little girls lives so callously, and actually thought he could get away with what he had done. He's rotting in prison now for the rest of his life, that's too good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I came here to post that monsters name. This one hit me so hard as a father that it hurts my heart and will always haunt me. How could he do it, he had a great family & life. I followed the case from the start and watched every video. I'm welling up thinking of how he ended his wife, and little girls lives so callously, and actually thought he could get away with what he had done. He's rotting in prison now for the rest of his life, that's too good for him.

And tried to pin his daughters' murders on his wife and the killing of his wife as a reaction to her killing his kids. But his emotional responses were so 'off''. He must have come across to most people as a bit strange ever before he did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,193 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This. This is what’s wrong with humanity!!!

To be beaten, beaten, beaten and executed...

They made a mistake......they were not there to kill...

I absolutely understand the reaction from the crowd. But to say what you have said is disgusting..

You're a scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Be right back

Why on earth didn't he just walk away? His gorgeous kids. The image of the doll was very eerie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Another one which I often think of is the John Crerar one. I wasn't alive at the time of the crime so I dont know how much publicity there was about it. However, I followed the case at the time. And I remember it because of how the DNA evidence caught him after such a long time.

Another one which I often think of is the John Crerar one. I wasn't alive at the time of the crime so I dont know how much publicity there was about it. However, I followed the case at the time. And I remember it because of how the DNA evidence caught him after such a long time.

Beautiful justice that.

Funny thing is, had they caught him at the time he’d likely be a free man now..

The murders of Jack and Tom Blaine, two elderly Mayo brothers in 2013 by Alan Cawley...hard to read...

Evil bastid of a man..

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned Marc Dutroux.

That case was so unnerving because there is a wife who turned her head and links to a wider paedophile ring going all the way to the top.

IIRC the Robert Holohan case was strange in that the media never came down too hard on Wayne O'Donoghue when his identity was revealed. He was always presented as being from a "respectable family". He even gave a statement to the media when he was standing outside prison having been released which is unheard of really.
    Roberts parents must have felt cheated, 3 years was nothing. You would wonder how he didnt know what he was doing in that moment and that he was obstructing the childs airway.Accidental horseplay was how it was termed.

The papers tracked him down later on...He went on to start a new life in England and changed his name to Paddy living as an architect.

Unlikely to commit a crime ever again I suppose but you would wonder in that moment was it malice or accident..

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

The murder of Tracey Mertens is also very haunting and horrific. She was 31 years old and a mother of two young children. A few days before Christmas 1994, and two days before her murder, she had left her new home in Rochdale, to pick up something from her old house in Birmingham. She had intended to return to Rochdale from Birmingham on the same day but ended up staying overnight with her sister-in-law.

The next morning, Tracey travelled to her old house, where two men barged in and abducted her. She was then driven to a churchyard and set alight. She was discovered by a passer-by a few hours later crying for help on the steps of the church. Her clothes were still smouldering, and her burns were so horrific the man who found her thought she was wearing a costume. She had 95 per cent burns to her body. Tracey Mertens fought long enough in hospital to give detectives as much information on her abduction as she could, but she died around 12 hours later. Her murder remains unsolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Not necessarily a crime that stayed with me for years but today I was reading about that German cannibal from a few years back on Wikipedia.

Armin Meiwes (not sure of the spelling).

Some of the stuff on it is unintentionally funny.
    In jail he has become a vegetarian and seemingly advocates against such behaviour.

The Germans' nickname for him is The Master Butcher.

He met his willing victim on a website called the Cannibal Cafe back in 2001.

Anyway this is just another example of something that makes me wonder just how weird people in general are.

There are so many things in this case.

First of all, the victim was "willing" and responded to our hero's advertisement on the Cannibal Cafe looking for someone to be slaughtered and eaten.

The cannibal cut off his victim's penis and cooked it in pepper, oil and wine before joining your man for his last meal.

Luckily enough I (and I hope most people) can never properly imagine what motivates such behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Mary Boyle, remember the photographs of the little girl in the communion dress,

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭juno10353

How did he know the bag was so relevant?

He didn't. Just had a feeling it should be retrieved

Peter Tobin, Scottish murderer. He is known to have killed 3 women but suspected of more. Two appear in the 'runaway train' video by Soul Asylum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Beautiful justice that.

Funny thing is, had they caught him at the time he’d likely be a free man now..

No D.N.A. at the time and a dirtbird gave him an alibi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Not sure if mentioned but the murder by Frank McCann of his wife and daughter at Butterfield Ave Rathfarnham Dublin. When you watch t.v. detective shows and say to yourself "ah thats a bit far fetched" Then just think of all the murders in Ireland over the years and the efforts the killers went to cover up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

coinop wrote: »
    The video for any curious youngsters who weren't around at the time. The mob mentality turns men into animals.

This was the funeral of Kevin Brady ,killed by Michael Stone in Milltown cemetery 3 days earlier, tensions were extremely high at the time,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭enricoh

A German tourist was murdered near me 20 years ago, while she was making her way out to newgrange.
    A local fella got done for it after his missus rang the police. the police appeal on crimeline asked did your partner have clothes go missing, was he acting strange etc etc n she copped he had - I'd say she was sleeping with one eye open that night.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/sex-beast-mickey-the-monster-8476107.amp

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned Marc Dutroux.

That case was so unnerving because there is a wife who turned her head and links to a wider paedophile ring going all the way to the top.

Holy sh1t! Just reading this on wiki, that runs DEEP! :eek:

The Miami Showband massacre by Biritsh forces and Loyalists. It shows exactly what Catholics faced in the North and might go some way to explaining some of their actions although i'd never defend most of them.

The Miami Showband massacre by Biritsh forces and Loyalists. It shows exactly what Catholics faced in the North and might go some way to explaining some of their actions although i'd never defend most of them.

Dunno about that. Both sides engaged in terrible acts of brutality on civilians from both sides.

How does the Miami showband explain Jean McConville and leaving those children to freeze in an empty house?

Dunno about that. Both sides engaged in terrible acts of brutality on civilians from both sides.

How does the Miami showband explain Jean McConville and leaving those children to freeze in an empty house?

I'd never defend that.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭juno10353

Jason Corbetts murder in U.S. Wife and father in law convicted but now being given retrial

• Advertisement

juno10353 wrote: »
    Jason Corbetts murder in U.S. Wife and father in law convicted but now being given retrial

That was a terrible case. I hope they lose their retrial too.

Advertisement