Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Roaul Moat

Threatened to kill police officers. Led to a manhunt for quite a while.

splashuum wrote: »
    Roaul Moat

Threatened to kill police officers. Led to a manhunt for quite a while.

Didnt Gazza turn up to talk him around,with chipper food and few tinnies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The annecy shootings in the French alps in 2012 was another strange one. 5 members of one family shot. 3 were killed but both children survived.

A cyclist was also shot and killed. I think he just happened to be cycling past at the time and witnessed the incident. .

Similar scenario to poor Anthony Campbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I think it was roast chicken. I'm not sure if he showed up but he went on a radio show offering to bring him some cans and a roast chicken and a chat. I can't get my head around how so many people were cheering that thug on. He'd been inside for assaulting his partner's (can't recall now if he was the child's father) kid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper

Noonan treatment of Bridget Mc Cole

2 evil bastxxxx

A snackbox and a few cans of carling

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I think it was roast chicken. I'm not sure if he showed up but he went on a radio show offering to bring him some cans and a roast chicken and a chat. I can't get my head around how so many people were cheering that thug on. He'd been inside for assaulting his partner's (can't recall now if he was the child's father) kid!
    He showed up with a fishing rod aswell I thought?

pjohnson wrote: »

Ya.....i think he was coked off his tits, aswell at the time (so he claimed later)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Some notable non-murder related crimes

Enron
    Charlie Haughty
    The group of old geezers who did that mad daring jewelry heist. Only caught cos the van the used to case the joint was caught on CCTV
    The bankers caught on tape laughing about the collapse
    The Apple tax evasion (14B?) is criminal too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Surprised no one has yet mentioned Andres Brevik in Norway. That one stands out to me as AFAIK he still holds the dubious record of the most deaths from a single shooter, 78 he killed in total.

The far right nutjob in Christchurch (who was inspired by Brevik) killed 51 on his own and the guy that shot up a gay nightclub in Orlando killed 49. But I dont think a single shooter has ever killed more than Brevik did. Bombers like Timothy McVeigh have killed higher numbers on their own but not shooters. For sheer numbers then it is probably hard to top Jim Jones who organised the mass suiicide of over 900 people in the Jonestown massacre.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Surprised no one has yet mentioned Andres Brevik in Norway.

The Las Vegas sniper was another crazy high body and injury count.

RIP to the victims

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Surprised no one has yet mentioned Andres Brevik in Norway. That one stands out to me as AFAIK he still holds the dubious record of the most deaths from a single shooter, 78 he killed in total.

The far right nutjob in Christchurch (who was inspired by Brevik) killed 51 on his own and the guy that shot up a gay nightclub in Orlando killed 49. But I dont think a single shooter has ever killed more than Brevik did. Bombers like Timothy McVeigh have killed higher numbers on their own but not shooters. For sheer numbers then it is probably hard to top Jim Jones who organised the mass suiicide of over 900 people in the Jonestown massacre.

Not that it matters....but im.nearly sure brevik killed a dozen or so in a car bombing,timed to distract/call police away from his attack on the island

iamstop wrote: »
    The Las Vegas sniper was another crazy high body and injury count.

RIP to the victims

Motive never revealed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Roaul Moat

Threatened to kill police officers. Led to a manhunt for quite a while.[/

There was a good program on C4 about that recently. His ex missus had told him that her new fella was a copper hoping that would help keep him away from her. The lad wasn’t a cop at all, and Moat actually had a deep desire to kill police due to the family situation and hardships he had suffered with the authorities. So believing he was a cop Moat hunter him down and shot him dead. It took about a week of a manhunt to find him.
    Dale Cregan in Manchester was a similar type case. An absolute gangster scum, he lured 2 police to the house he was hiding in and shot them dead. He had killed a father and son previously. He is still alive in prison while Moat wasn’t taken alive by the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Phillip Cairns case always stuck with me over the years probably because he was around the same age as myself.

A distant relation of my own was murdered in Galway over 20 years ago, she was a taxi driver and the case was never solved either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yeah, you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The rape of a 15 year old in Belfast around 04/05. I remember reading about it at the time. She was on holidays, visiting friends, two lads “approached” her and her friends.

One of the guys sexually assaulted her, threatening her with a screwdriver, while the other kept her two, male, friends at bay with an iron bar. They got beaten and, I think, the two guys took them all to a golf course to rape the girl again.

They’d also robbed the kids and, after the attack, used the girl’s phone to call her mother to tell her what they had done.

I remember at the time thinking how bad it was for her but also sympathising with her friends who had to witness the attack but could do nothing about it. Wasn’t really until I had my own kids that I thought about that call to the mother.

Obviously, I thought it was “low” but didn’t really think too much about it. I do hope the bastards involved live horrible, short, lives.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Motive never revealed either.

Was it not that he was a standard paranoid gun nut?

He spoke about the Government wanting to take people guns and how that right needed protecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not that it matters....but im.nearly sure brevik killed a dozen or so in a car bombing,timed to distract/call police away from his attack on the island

yeah looking it up now he killed 8 in a bomb on a government building in Oslo and then he went to Utoya island where the youth wing of the Labour party were having a meeting/get together and he killed 69 of them there for a total of 78 deaths. AFAIK that 69 is a record for a single shooter which is why far right nutjobs like the Christchurch shooter look up to him, indeed part of their mission is to beat his number of deaths.

There was also something in the Brevik case about the Norwegian special forces who were dispatched to the island, they showed up at the wrong jetty and there was no boat waiting for them. IIRC that mistake cost them about 10 or 12 minutes until they got to the correct jetty and the inquiry found that dozens of lives could have been saved without them having that delay. Its also pretty amazing that Norwegian special forces took him alive. Maybe he was out of ammunition at that point and he just put his hands up waiting for arrest.

21 years is all he got, he's due for release in 2032 at which point he will be 52. Im not sure if the Norwegians can keep him locked up any longer than that. He'll still be dangerous when he gets out, the guy is a hero in far right/anti immigration circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

The attack on the Russell family by Michael Stone.

The attempted murder of Alison Botha.

Turpin family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The rape of a 15 year old in Belfast around 04/05. I remember reading about it at the time. She was on holidays, visiting friends, two lads “approached” her and her friends.

One of the guys sexually assaulted her, threatening her with a screwdriver, while the other kept her two, male, friends at bay with an iron bar. They got beaten and, I think, the two guys took them all to a golf course to rape the girl again.

They’d also robbed the kids and, after the attack, used the girl’s phone to call her mother to tell her what they had done.

I remember at the time thinking how bad it was for her but also sympathising with her friends who had to witness the attack but could do nothing about it. Wasn’t really until I had my own kids that I thought about that call to the mother.

Obviously, I thought it was “low” but didn’t really think too much about it. I do hope the bastards involved live horrible, short, lives.

oh my god, thats horrific. Did they get the guys that did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The assassination of Christopher’Git’ Zambra was a vicious gangland slaying. It was the Sunday of the May bank holiday 2014, a really hot sunny day. He was driving the short distance to his sisters house for dinner and got ambushed as he arrived. There was cctv of the car passing him and a fella out the window shooting. He made a run for it but had been hit in the back and collapsed in a neighbors garden. The shooter then put a few bullets into Gits face as he must have been looking at him pleading, knowing his time was about to end. He had only been out of prison about 6 months after being found not guilty of organising the shooting dead of ‘Champagne’ John Carroll in a pub in the south inner city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The assassination of Christopher’Git’ Zambra was a vicious gangland slaying. It was the Sunday of the May bank holiday 2014, a really hot sunny day. He was driving the short distance to his sisters house for dinner and got ambushed as he arrived. There was cctv of the car passing him and a fella out the window shooting. He made a run for it but had been hit in the back and collapsed in a neighbors garden. The shooter then put a few bullets into Gits face as he must have been looking at him pleading, knowing his time was about to end. He had only been out of prison about 6 months after being found not guilty of organising the shooting dead of ‘Champagne’ John Carroll in a pub in the south inner city.

Live by the sword. What goes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

Kel dropping the screw in the Tuna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Thiery Henry in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

oh my god, thats horrific. Did they get the guys that did it?

The rapist got 8 years, only served 4. The other lad got 15 months for robbery and assault, he may have “rolled over” on the other lad.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Was it not that he was a standard paranoid gun nut?

He spoke about the Government wanting to take people guns and how that right needed protecting.

I haven’t heard that theory

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I remember reading with horror that Manuela Riedo rape and murder in Galway - she had been allowed travel to Galway to do a homestay to learn English because her parents thought Galway was safe. She was the second foreign language student to be raped by the same man in less than a month - while he was out on bail he raped and murdered their only child.

I cannot imagine the rage and anguish of the families of the Irish sentencing syatem, where the rights of the cictim and their families are olaced last, where recidivist criminals with 20/40/100 prior convictions walk free, where bail and concurrent sentencing make the concept of justice and punishment a farce.

Until timorrow, 12th August at 5pm, people who want the Irish sentencing, Justice and Probation service to be forced to change can make online submissions stTing what they would like as goals for a reformed criminal justice system. It is an online national survey hidden on the internet.

If you have views email them before 5pm on 12th August (2020) to
    criminaljusticestrategyconsultation@justice.ie

I havn’t heard one politician or media outlet promoting it. No doubt all the left prisoner lobbying organisations will have submitted lengthy wish lists for more leniency.

If these cases have made you crawl with horror, or disgusted at how lenient our sentencing is, or how people can run amuck for so many years and get legal aid after legal aid while victims are not even allowed legal representation in court - make your voice heard;

criminaljusticestrategyconsultation@justice.ie

Deadline is tomorrow, 12th Aug at 5pm
    why not do more than protest on boards - make it count: for the innocent and victims.

I have a particular hatred for the scum
    who attach the elderly and vulnerable - rural crime - pensioners living alone and in fear, who lose their lifes savings, peace of mind, and independence from fear of these predatory vermin. We also have the untagged paedophiles who are ‘entitled’ to sit in playgrounds all day long, the rapists who get suspended sentences ‘because they wern’t hurt’(Judge Herbert quote), and the lifelong vermin who break into houses, steal, lie and add violence to the mix and get off free because of their criminal upbringing... isn’t it time we ended it all.

I see that killer of murdered vet Catherine Gowing got 37 years prison sentence in the UK - unheard of here in Ireland. Is that the biggest crime - that of our criminal justice system on us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

Denis Rader AKA the BTK strangler. Always shivered me to the bone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader

And how he got caught is nuts. After 20 years he asks the police if they can trace a floppy disk. They say nah. He sends its and is caught.

His court testimony is up there on youtube. Chilling stuff.

Advertisement