Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

Highly recommend listening to the mensrea Podcast for some of the incidents ye guys are discussing. They have a huge selection and the majority you folks have mentioned are covered in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Junko Furuta, The Concrete-encased high school girl murder case

I read this for the first time here on boards before. Still one of the worst for me

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Anniepower wrote: »
    Highly recommend listening to the mensrea Podcast for some of the incidents ye guys are discussing. They have a huge selection and the majority you folks have mentioned are covered in it.

Yes it is very good, however the American narrator has some questionable pronunciations :) She is also very left leaning I find, which sometimes irks me. It is still extremely enjoyable

I also listen to podcast called "They Walk Among As" which focuses more on British crime, so we would be familiar with a lot of the stories also. Its excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Many of the cases that have stuck with me most have already been mentioned here but one I haven’t seen (but could easily have missed) is the murder of Raonaid Murray in September 1999.

I recently listened to the YouTube documentary Rainy in Glenageary which I’d highly recommend and it struck me as it always has how little is really known about what happened to her but also, when you look deeper into the case, how the answers are there just out of reach.

I believe that there are those in Raonaid’s friend group that know the truth and if the Gardai could just find the weak link and give him/her enough of a push they could solve this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The case of Brian Murphy who was kicked to death by a group of Blackrock students outside Annabelles nightclub in 2000. None of whom were convicted of killing him. A wall of silence was met by gardai investigating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The case of Brian Murphy who was kicked to death by a group of Blackrock students outside Annabelles nightclub in 2000. None of whom were convicted of killing him. A wall of silence was met by gardai investigating.

A lot to be said for having a good brief. I'm not sure if the crime was what shocked us but the lack of justice. Let's face it with young lads and drink anything can happen but for the white wash which occured after that was pathetic. It's an all too familiar story of our sentencing structure.

Another one I haven't seen mentioned was Larry Murphy aka the beast of Baltinglass. Stalked a woman, dragged her into his car, gave her a savage beating, raping and was going to kill her but was rumbled by two hunters out lamping. Another one who is walking the streets a long time now. You'd imagine he is responsible for some of the other missing women in Leinster paticularly Deirdre Jacob.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There was a lot more than 4 lads “involved” in that killing but the cowards never came forward.

One of the 4 got off on a ridiculous technicality, one just got off, one got 2 years for violent conduct and because he “turned” on the Monaghan lad so he ended up getting the 2 years plus 4 for the killing.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

This somewhat pales in significance to the other crimes here but when it occurred it took a long while to leave me.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/man-charged-after-fireball-horror-16723715

I drove that road almost daily, to the extent I remember it being closed the morning after and even months later the vigil and memorial were still there, rain, hail or shine, tattered banners would get replaced.
    The victim was crashed into / caused to swerve off the road by a lad in a stolen car. Smith's car turned into a fireball really quickly and he was trapped in the car. One of the first on the scene was an off duty nurse just finished her shift. They couldn't do anything to help.

The guy who stole the car ran off into the night but was said to have been hurt as he was limping heavily and the the police later said it should have been significantly "aka watch out for the limp". For months nothing ever came of it, the guy was laying low and almost seem to be protected. Thankfully he either couldn't keep his mouth shut or he was outed by those close to him. He'll get his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

There was a huge outcry at the time because the perception (particular by those on the left) was that posh boys = light sentences. That might well be true but what’s conveniently ignored is that inappropriate sentencing applies across the board. That’s why you have non-posh people walking free with 100+ convictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

And do you know what the most disturbing thing is? When you add up every single crime mentioned in this thread, combined they're not even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the crimes that have been / are being committed against millions of people in certain parts of the world by their own governments, including at this very moment.

It is truly harrowing and non-processable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Many of the cases that have stuck with me most have already been mentioned here but one I haven’t seen (but could easily have missed) is the murder of Raonaid Murray in September 1999.

I recently listened to the YouTube documentary Rainy in Glenageary which I’d highly recommend and it struck me as it always has how little is really known about what happened to her but also, when you look deeper into the case, how the answers are there just out of reach.

I believe that there are those in Raonaid’s friend group that know the truth and if the Gardai could just find the weak link and give him/her enough of a push they could solve this case.

Had a look at this today based on your post. Quite haunting. The documentary strongly suggests that the culprit was known to Raonaid. I am not sure what they are referring to about they found at the end of the 2nd Granville Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Had a look at this today based on your post. Quite haunting. The documentary strongly suggests that the culprit was known to Raonaid. I am not sure what they are referring to about they found at the end of the 2nd Granville Road.

Wouldn’t recommend discussing the Raonaid Murray case on here. Once the “discussion” inevitably turns to a female, known to the victim, with family links to a, former, high-ranking Provo the thread will get locked.

Absolutely shocking that the poor girl’s grave was vandalised, on more than one occasion, and that an online memorial was “attacked” by a mobilised online group and was taken down as a result.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Two for me ,one nowhere near as horrific as some on here but Chris Coleman getting two years 6 months for manslaughter , just rocked me that our justice system was so broken and our judges so useless .
    Coleman has 15 previous convictions including four for driving without insurance and yet he drove again without a licence or insurance and while speeding broke a light killed a cyclist and drove off .
    I think of the Maher family often and how if it was my father I don't think 30 months would be enough time for me to calm down and what I would do if I saw him walking the streets so soon after being convicted.

The other is very gruesome and shocking.
    I knew the victim when we were kids and the details of the case just blew my mind , it was like something from a trashy film.
    The murder of Tom o Gorman and the fact that the murderer Saverio Bellante consumed part of Tom afterwards .
    There is much to unpack here , but how we treat and monitor the mentally ill in this country needs serious examination and I feel beyond accepting Saverio's insanity plea we have never delved into the case and what errors were made by HSE in the run up to the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Muahahaha wrote: »
    21 years is all he got, he's due for release in 2032 at which point he will be 52. Im not sure if the Norwegians can keep him locked up any longer than that. He'll still be dangerous when he gets out, the guy is a hero in far right/anti immigration circles.

There's no way he's getting out. He might not be in a max security prison, but he'll certainly be in some sort of facility, under observation and lock and key.

How anyone would think that 21 years in prison for a crime like that was appropriate, I'll never know. It's cases like that where the death penalty should be used.

If anyone has forfeited their right to life, it was Brevik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I’m not sure myself but wonder if it maybe that someone lives or lived there that knows something.

I myself have always believed it was a female known to her and definitely feel the gardai should take a closer look at the allegedly violent female friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Anthony Campbell the young trainee plumber who was shot dead because he was working at a house belonging to a criminal and was there when a rival gang came to kill the owner.

I don't know how these guys sleep at night after killing an innocent person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Anthony Campbell the young trainee plumber who was shot dead because he was working at a house belonging to a criminal and was there when a rival gang came to kill the owner.

I don't know how these guys sleep at night after killing an innocent person.

And the killers even were aware that there was workers inside, but the poor lads boss left leaving him alone, so they thought all civilians had gone.
    They probably weighed up the situation for a few seconds before shooting, the bullet went through his hand so he was in a defence position, making it even more terrifying for him. I reckon they could have spared him and still not get caught, who knows. And diode they were not wearing balaclavas so their faces may be pointed out by him in any trial.

The Anthony Campbell murder was horric. Unlike some of the other inexplicable murders of people from more affluent backgrounds it seems to have gone quiet now and rarely appears in the media. You'd feel that if he was a trainee doctor from blackrock it would have been more prevalent.

So many as mentioned but the murder of Deirdre Crowley by her father in Cork sticks with me. So close to safety, terrible tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Listened to raining in glenageary. I hope the person or people responsible are eventually caught

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

The murder of Linda Donaldson. Donaldson, who was a sex worker, was last seen alive in Liverpool's red light district on the night of October 17, 1988. Later that night, the 31-year-old's naked body was discovered in a ditch in a farmer's field in Leigh, a large town near Wigan. Her body had been horribly mutilated. Detective's believed that the killer may have been inspired by the Jack the Ripper murders because on the day Linda was murdered, a dramatisation of the Jack the Ripper murders had been shown on television. Her murder remains unsolved.
    Ironically, about a month prior to her murder, Donaldson had appeared on the ITV mid-morning show "Kilroy", where she took part in a discussion on the perils of sex workers and what could be done to give them more protection. It is believed by some, that Linda Donaldson was a victim of a possible, unidentified serial killer known as the "East Lancs Ripper". Because 3 years later, the mutilated remains of another sex worker were discovered not far from where Donaldson's remains had been found.

This podcast featuring a retired police officer, goes into more detail about the murders. https://youtu.be/AC_fdRpjUDc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The murder of Linda Donaldson. Donaldson, who was a sex worker, was last seen alive in Liverpool's red light district on the night of October 17, 1988. Later that night, the 31-year-old's naked body was discovered in a ditch in a farmer's field in Leigh, a large town near Wigan. Her body had been horribly mutilated. Detective's believed that the killer may have been inspired by the Jack the Ripper murders because on the day Linda was murdered, a dramatisation of the Jack the Ripper murders had been shown on television. Her murder remains unsolved. Ironically, about a month prior to her murder, Donaldson had appeared on the ITV mid-morning show "Kilroy", where she took part in a discussion on the perils of sex workers and what could be done to give them more protection. It is believed by some, that Linda Donaldson was a victim of a possible, unidentified serial killer known as the "East Lancs Ripper". Because 3 years later, the mutilated remains of another sex worker were discovered not far from where Donaldson's remains had been found.

The murder of Linda Donaldson. Donaldson, who was a sex worker, was last seen alive in Liverpool's red light district on the night of October 17, 1988. Later that night, the 31-year-old's naked body was discovered in a ditch in a farmer's field in Leigh, a large town near Wigan. Her body had been horribly mutilated. Detective's believed that the killer may have been inspired by the Jack the Ripper murders because on the day Linda was murdered, a dramatisation of the Jack the Ripper murders had been shown on television. Her murder remains unsolved. Ironically, about a month prior to her murder, Donaldson had appeared on the ITV mid-morning show "Kilroy", where she took part in a discussion on the perils of sex workers and what could be done to give them more protection. It is believed by some, that Linda Donaldson was a victim of a possible, unidentified serial killer known as the "East Lancs Ripper". Because 3 years later, the mutilated remains of another sex worker were discovered not far from where Donaldson's remains had been found.

You mention her appearing on TV.

Similar to the serial killer Steve Wright aka the Suffolk strangler who murdered a number of sex workers in Ipswich.

A sex worker was interviewed on the news during his killing spree and a few days later she became one of his victims.

Her name was Paula Clennell.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,083 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So many...

Rachel Reilly’s stands out for me in Ireland..

Everything about it. Couldn’t make it up...

As for terrifying and traumatic and wild, I always remember the abduction and killing of Corporals Howe and Woods in March 1988 when a nationalist mob surrounded them and killed them..horrifying..

walshb wrote: »
    So many...

Rachel Reilly’s stands out for me in Ireland..

Everything about it. Couldn’t make it up...

As for terrifying and traumatic and wild, I always remember the abduction and killing of Corporals Howe and Woods in March 1988 when a nationalist mob surrounded them and killed them..horrifying..

I can buy the stance by republicans though that they felt if was another attack on a funeral. Especially considering it was days after the Michael Stone atrocity.

I can buy the stance by republicans though that they felt if was another attack on a funeral. Especially considering it was days after the Michael Stone atrocity.

I get this. Kind of understand it alright..

The people felt that they were under another attack.

Just the visions of it and the horror, and the terror those two men must have felt..

They fooked up, and paid with their lives!!

I’d say a lot of people involved that day look back now as older and wiser and more mature, and with children and grandchildren, and very much regret the taking of life...the people did not set out to. Mob mentality (and created by fear and confusion) took over..

I mean, I don’t care what side or religion you are, to be any way human and not feel utter revulsion at their deaths means you are lacking any decent humanity..

I am sure most will know it, and it probably has been mentioned, but the death of baby P a few years ago in England...mother of jaysus..that still hurts...utter depraved scum..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

This just happened. Nothing short of the death penalty should apply here. Animals.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1293650064439738368?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

walshb wrote: »
    I get this. Kind of understand it alright..

The people felt that they were under another attack.

Just the visions of it and the horror, and the terror those two men must have felt..

They fooked up, and paid with their lives!!

I’d say a lot of people involved that day look back now as older and wiser and more mature, and with children and grandchildren, and very much regret the taking of life...the people did not set out to. Mob mentality (and created by fear and confusion) took over..

I mean, I don’t care what side or religion you are, to be any way human and not feel utter revulsion at their deaths means you are lacking any decent humanity..

The priest that gave last rites to the 2 soldiers had a position paper about peace talks from Sinn Fein addressed to John Hume in his pocket.
    It got so bloodstained that he had to get a fresh copy.

Just a story I read somewhere about that incident. Northern Ireland was a nasty conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I didn't think that evidence was held back. I think it was not reported on in the media to protect her career as judge deemed it would have a detrimental effect on it. So her identity was protected.

There were other witnesses on that trial who used whatever website was discussed. Their identities were fully revealed in the media. Not sure if that was fair on them either.
    The name of a prominent female broadcast journalist was also withheld from public disclosure for the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thebronze14

The killing of the 3 little Quinn boys in the late 90s from a Loyalist arson attack

Advertisement