Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

fat bloke wrote: »
    Fair play for buying Irish, but they don't have half charge a premium for it :(

Wouldn't be in my thinking at all. I saw it listed somewhere for cheaper, but it was out of stock. Have you seen it anywhere?

My thought process was: Couldn't see it anywhere else, wanted it, had the money, bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

unkel wrote: »
    I like that!

Never heard of Merkur before. The watch seems to be a Chinese made "homage" to the Seiko Tuna, using a Seiko automatic movement and priced under USD200? If so, what's not to like there? :)

3rd brand name to Sharkey and ourosboros (sp), I've a MK1 Sharkey tunacan. Bit beyond a homage to me, is only the bright green dial (picked so it's obviously not a tuna/matches the corporate colours of the place that gave me the bonus that paid for it) lets me wear it.

Final finish on the case has short cuts in places but sapphire, ceramic, spare dive strap and a nh35 for 130e was too good a value to miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I love the samurai. It’s my most worn watch since picking it up last February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭893bet

2h4bakm.jpg

(And yes my dog loves watching TV).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

893bet wrote: »

(And yes my dog loves watching TV).

Am I blind or is there no GMT hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

christeb wrote: »
    Am I blind or is there no GMT hand?

It’s a fraction to the right of the minute hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Homer wrote: »
    It’s a fraction to the right of the minute hand!

It is????

I can't see it either. I need to lay off the wine! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

It is????

I can't see it either. I need to lay off the wine! :D

Look for the triangle between the 12 and the 1.

RMDrive wrote: »
    Look for the triangle between the 12 and the 1.

Ahhh!!!

Thank you! :D

I was looking for a red hand for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭893bet

Ahhh!!!

Thank you! :D

I was looking for a red hand for some reason.

It’s a nice blue colour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Santa arrived early this morning with this bad boy.
    Seagull 1963, watchunique version.
    Swapped out the strap and got rid of the red writing that spoiled (IMO) the caseback. Delighted with the watch.

IMG-5740.jpg

It came with a solid and display caseback.
    IMG-5741.jpg

And in a nice tin!
    IMG-5742.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Very nice indeed.

I love my 3133 navitimer for that classic look.

Well wear.

Who did you go with in the end?

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Very nice indeed.

I love my 3133 navitimer for that classic look.

Well wear.

Who did you go with in the end?

Watchunique.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

hey guys im trying to figure out what watch this is ? :)

468361.jpg

Is it a windrinder crosswind auto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Santa arrived early this morning with this bad boy.
    Seagull 1963, watchunique version.
    Swapped out the strap and got rid of the red writing that spoiled (IMO) the caseback. Delighted with the watch.

Have been looking at getting one of this lately. Would be interested to get your review at some stage

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I traded the IWC diver I got recently, for this Sinn 956. I think it looks a bit busier in photos than it does in real life. It's about 41mm, but wears a bit bigger than that as there's very little bezel.

46314949632_c09435d2f3.jpg

44549536660_4924f9bf66.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Big fan of Sinn myself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Big fan of Sinn myself.

Are talking in the biblical sense there W :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

468418.jpg

Wow, that looks great. I want to say "for a Seiko 5", but not in a derogatory way. -I have a 5 myself.
    But really by any standards that's a lovely looking watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Thanks, im really happy with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Picked up Seiko Alpinist as Xmas gift for myself

358dgmw.jpg

Smaller in real life than I expected. Bezel picks up scratch very easy

watchgecko brown leather strap
    r0axb4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

They're a lovely watch, congrats. Are they discontinued, or can you still pick them up new? Can I ask where you got yours?

They're a lovely watch, congrats. Are they discontinued, or can you still pick them up new? Can I ask where you got yours?

i bought mine from adverts. There's actually another one still for sale there. They are discontinued and some are going for over 600 on ebay but i dont think they are worth that. There are new ones on ebay for 375 pounds..

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/401229637910

I'm tempted to buy this strap but think the brown leather and green face is a nice combination.

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Strapcode_SS201819PGD064_Watch_Bracelet_p/ss201819pgd064.htm

Thanks,
    Mick

They are very nice and I had a massive want for one for ages there last year, but... I dunno. I couldn't quite bring myself to buy one in the end.

Check out pics of them on a bracelet on the web, I think they look great on it. Better than the standard leather.

They are very nice and I had a massive want for one for ages there last year, but... I dunno. I couldn't quite bring myself to buy one in the end.

Check out pics of them on a bracelet on the web, I think they look great on it. Better than the standard leather.

i do like the look of the two tone bracelet as its gold would compliments the gold on the dial.. the watch is small though and much smaller than my steinhart vintage gmt.. i wonder will the bracelet just overpower the look of the watch..

2h65cmp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I feel the old skool looking leather original strap suits the watch much better. Gives it a sense of an experienced explorer, an adventurist.

• Advertisement

I feel the old skool looking leather original strap suits the watch much better. Gives it a sense of an experienced explorer, an adventurist.
    I agree... Although I ordered the bracelet to ...doh!

You can never have enough straps / bracelets :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You can never have enough straps / bracelets :D

Or springbars :cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Wouldn't go for the gold / two tone myself, but I do like a nice bracelet. - Leather is lovely, but I hate that slimy wrist effect when it gets wet, which it invariably does when I realise half way through the shower that I forgot to take the damn watch off. - Bracelets for the fit 'n forget win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Before and after pics of my Dads Omega. Sent for full service and refurb. Delighted with the results. Watch is over 50 years old, refurb a surprise for his Xmas present, looking forward to seeing his reaction tomorrow

468739.jpg

468738.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

Looks lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

@FJOS1980

How much did service and refurb set you back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

mad m wrote: »
    @FJOS1980

How much did service and refurb set you back?

€200 including new glass. Was by a fella in Kilkenny called John Donohoe, link to his site here

https://thevintagewatch.net

Wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

The Uncle Seiko razor wire bracelet came in and I fitted it to the Merkur.
    Its a bit of work to interleave the links when resizing the bracelet but its doable. Attached is my watch and a marketing shot from Uncle Seiko with a genuine Tuna.

Mine
    468783.jpg

and the marketing blurb
    468782.jpg

Happy Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Before and after pics of my Dads Omega. Sent for full service and refurb. Delighted with the results. Watch is over 50 years old, refurb a surprise for his Xmas present, looking forward to seeing his reaction tomorrow
    *SNIP*

Hope he's not on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭fourmations

20181224_221650_zps50krfk1l.jpg
    20181224_130535_zps28seefbn.jpg

Seasons greetings...ordered this a few days ago and not expecting to see it this side of Christmas but well pleased to get it this morning...Nothing special but I'm thrilled with it as a cash-strapped new enthusiast, the youtube watch channels got it spot on, amazing bang for the buck, and it's gorgeous, I had a 22 mm vintage style leather off a fossil watch that I knew would look way better than the bracelet, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭fourmations

€200 including new glass. Was by a fella in Kilkenny called John Donohoe, link to site here

https://thevintagewatch.net

Wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending him

Beautiful.... I have my late fathers omega that's fairly beaten and not running, I may well contact your guy, thanks!

njburke wrote: »
    The Uncle Seiko razor wire bracelet came in and I fitted it to the Merkur.
    Its a bit of work to interleave the links when resizing the bracelet but its doable. Attached is my watch and a marketing shot from Uncle Seiko with a genuine Tuna.

Looks fantastic. As "manly" as a watch can get. Looks to be worth many times what you paid for it. Fair play. Want to sell it? :D

Isn’t Santa the clever fellow.. Seiko Samurai under the tree! Also got some lume cubes so snapped this photo this morning :)

Anyone else get anything horology/watch related? Let’s see em :pac:

D6-D90615-AF57-4660-93-BE-6-CE7-BF651607.jpg
    list of william wordsworth famous poems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Nah, I'm going to wear that one for a while. This time last year I had two watches, an everyday Seiko monster and a breitling. I banged the monster and took myself off to argos to get a replacement. That was 12 watches ago.

Back to topic, this was under the tree for me this morning. Casio Oceanus S100. Titanium, solar powered and radio controlled, plus a few other complications that only quartz can do.

468845.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

njburke wrote: »
    Nah, I'm going to wear that one for a while. This time last year I had two watches, an everyday Seiko monster and a breitling. I banged the monster and took myself off to argos to get a replacement. That was 12 watches ago.

Back to topic, this was under the tree for me this morning. Casio Oceanus S100. Titanium, solar powered and radio controlled, plus a few other complications that only quartz can do.
    Never thought I'd say these words, but that's a beautiful casio

Odd one for me.

A Garmin vivoactive 3. So a smart watch. - I've never liked them. The wife bought me one for my birthday during the year but I brought it back to the shop for a refund. So she bought it again for me for Christmas! :)

This time, I gave it a go, and.... I have to say I really like it. I'm not mad on the looks, or the strap or the general plastickiness, but the functionality and smart connectivity is pretty compelling and entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Odd one for me.

A Garmin vivoactive 3. So a smart watch. - I've never liked them. The wife bought me one for my birthday during the year but I brought it back to the shop for a refund. So she bought it again for me for Christmas! :)

This time, I gave it a go, and.... I have to say I really like it. I'm not mad on the looks, or the strap or the general plastickiness, but the functionality and smart connectivity is pretty compelling and entertaining.

Likewise. Misses had a Ticwatch E with my presents. Can't stop playing with it. For certain occasions/tasks/sports it will be great.

a smart watch. - I've never liked them. The wife bought me one for my birthday during the year but I brought it back to the shop for a refund. So she bought it again for me for Christmas! :)

Your missus knows you better than you know yourself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

No new watches but I had been waiting on the Watchobsession sale and picked up a yellow Crafter Blue for my Sumo. A little bright for now but will be nice once the weather picks up.

uZQK9Ve.jpg

Have been following crafter blue for a while and love their straps..

Oh and if it isn’t the prodigal son ^^^^^^^:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement