Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Haven't worn this one in a while. Kinda missed it. :) The last Omega I have. Have had a couple in the past. Trench watches and a pre moon Speedy, which I got for 400 quid way back when. Yep. Didn't get on with it TBH, because I'm odd. Double yep. Sold it to get a 1938 Longines Czech Pilot watch, which I sold on a few years later. WTF yep. My biggest watch regret that Longines. The pre moon Speedy would have been nice for the finances today too. :eek:

472634.jpg

Omega Seamaster "Mariner 1" from 74 IIRC. It's an early one(they sold them up to 78 or so). Omega's first inhouse quartz movement. Little beauty it is too, with an index mechanism to make sure it hits the seconds markers precisely. Almost silent, but for a near imperceptible "swish swish". If Doctor Who's Cybermen wore a watch back in the 70's it would be this one I reckon. :D

Got the head for 200 quid, minus bracelet. Because I'm too dumb to follow my own advice. Searched for years for a bracelet and then paid 200 quid for that. Doh!

Wrapped around a 60,000 year old Neandertal flint tool core, sitting on top of a WW2 Stuka ammo case, which makes a damned fine laptop perch and wine case. Cos me like. :-)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

Ridiculously cool.

I reckon a tour of your house and all its bits and bobs would equal the experience of most museums :D

Edited to say, on a recent trip ro Bruges with the wife, your name randomly came up after a few beers. It was on the subject of 5 people to invite to a dinner party. You made the cut! It's hard explaining the interesting stranger from boards tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I reckon he lives in Belgium and has a basement. Scary, but I'd still like to see the collection!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

My colleague in work got this as a present to himself. Kindly let me try on.

I can't imagine Rolex sell to many of these Air-Kings. They could be a watch collectors will want in 20 or 30 years time? I wouldn't be a fan now myself. What did you think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

A 60's Soviet on leather Zulu.

472673.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Gshock today, handy to have a rugged watch for working on the bikes

315lkl0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

My Grey and PADI Turtles....

O56sdmCh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

472744.jpg

Giving this some wrist time while I await the arrival of the King G Shock, which is due tomorrow.

Interesting review here of the level of punishment the DW-5600E is able to withstand, astonishing really for such a cheap watch.

https://gearpatrol.com/2018/12/27/g-shock-dw-5600e-review/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I love my classic dw5600, although I did move to the Solar version. I managed to break it by losing the tiny spring that works as the speaker/audio meaning the alarms do nothing. That's what I get for trying to change my battery while sitting on the couch... although I have thought about taking apart a cheap f91w and seeing if the spring would be interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

IMG-20190210-222153-224.jpgprogram to take screenshots

The Explorer is the only one that's mine. But I want the BB58 and 36mm! NOW!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭micks_address

2shea wrote: »
    Snip

The Explorer is the only one that's mine. But I want the BB58 and 36mm! NOW!!!![/quote]
    Do you not think the two on the right are very similar watches? I mean stylewise at least.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wearing my smart watch for the last couple of days. If anyone needs some basic calculations on the go, and has a lot of time on their hands for me to type on the awful keypad. Then I'm your man!

472756.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

New arrival in the post this morning, exira and delira!
    Seiko baby monster. A big chunky piece. Not a screw down crown, but then I'm not a diver, and delivered for €138.

20190211-100357.jpgimage posting site

20190211-100629.jpg

The lume is something else :

20190211-104105.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Do you not think the two on the right are very similar watches? I mean stylewise at least.
    Thanks,
    Mick

I wouldn’t say they are the same really the Tudor is a sly copy of the Rolex

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say they are the same really...

Sounds like me explaining watches to my wife :P :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Isn't Tudor owned by Rolex, or at least was founded by the same guy? They are marketed as the cheap alternative to Rolex's and have a competitor for the majority of Rolex's popular watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Wearing my smart watch for the last couple of days. If anyone needs some basic calculations on the go, and has a lot of time on their hands for me to type on the awful keypad. Then I'm your man!

Are you still talking about the watch, or that new Mac. :pac:

Isn't Tudor owned by Rolex, or at least was founded by the same guy? They are marketed as the cheap alternative to Rolex's and have a competitor for the majority of Rolex's popular watches.

Cheap alternative is what they are yes or in my eyes a wanna be Rolex

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

2shea wrote: »

The Explorer is the only one that's mine. But I want the BB58 and 36mm! NOW!!!!

I’m almost certain that’s a BB41. 36 looks tiny even on bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yeah, they're part of Rolex, and started as a cheap alternative. That was a long time ago though, and since then have established their own identity and a fair chunk of their catalog is distinctively Tudor. A wannabe / cheap version of Rolex is a pretty lazy description.

• Advertisement

I love my classic dw5600, although I did move to the Solar version. I managed to break it by losing the tiny spring that works as the speaker/audio meaning the alarms do nothing. That's what I get for trying to change my battery while sitting on the couch... although I have thought about taking apart a cheap f91w and seeing if the spring would be interchangeable.
    If you have some spare springbars, break one open to get the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Eoin wrote: »
    Yeah, they're part of Rolex, and started as a cheap alternative. That was a long time ago though, and since then have established their own identity and a fair chunk of their catalog is distinctively Tudor. A wannabe / cheap version of Rolex is a pretty lazy description.

agree but you can still see where they've come from. Black bay has obvious queues from a Submariner, a Pelagos / Sea Dweller, Heritage Ranger / Explorer.

Never mentioned they where a wannabe Rolex, their build quality certainly matches if not surpasses Rolex for the cost and most of the time the gap in the cost is down to precious metals that are used.

Eoin wrote: »

I was referring to that particular model of Tudor not the brand in general

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yep, no arguments there, you can see their DNA - I was really referring to other posts, and also pointing out that they have a good few models that are distinctive (Heritage Chrono, North Flag. They can afford to be slightly more adventurous in their designs.

But I think there's a difference between cheaper than another watch and marketing yourself as a cheap version of another watch. Just like how a Rolex isn't marketed as a cheaper version of a 50 fathoms.

Not sure I'd conflate the Pelagos with the SD though, other than they're both very well engineered diving watches. For a fairly homogenous style of watch, they look quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

SNIP. NO quoting pics.

My brother had one of those back in the 80s; I had one with a radio. Now all my watches are mechanical . That’s progress!

Modded monster on a handmade leather strap for today

aesfb5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

472829.jpg

It arrived early this morning and it's HUGE. Hard to get a good photo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Someone mentioned the lume on their Seiko above and it's something that I've been very impressed with since I got my Grey Dawn Samurai...

472830.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Vostok Compressor

472845.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement