Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Actually it's a Panewrist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Elbow wrote: »
    Not quite as nice as the above posts but nevertheless its a watch :D
    CWC Friday
    Oh yes it most certainly is Sir. Niiiice. On a few levels.
    Longines and Seiko is a winning combination, I can attest! :)
    Longines are awesome when it comes to looking up old watches, I have a printout of 2 emails (the email account has long since ceased to exist) confirming the date of manufacture of the watch and when and to what partner it was sold. (As I already said)
    I also got promotional autograph cards signed by Tatjana Patitz and Pedro Diniz (yes, that long ago since I asked) plus two free magazines with more details about my watch.
    To me that was invaluable paperwork to go along with the watch, it puts so much more history behind it.
    Vintage Longines wrist watch would have to be the next step for me. That brand is criminally undervalued.
    Oh how right you are Dr F. Never mind their seriously nice watches and a history that would blow most other brands out of the water(inc quite a few "top luxury brands". After all when Vacheron Constantine and JLC looked for a US partner as assembler and distributer of their watches, who did they ask?).

They are incredibly helpful if you contact them and they must get crazy amounts of enquiries on a daily basis. And they don;t seem snobbish regardless of whether your Longines is rare as unicorn poop or common as muck, they'll give you the deets. They don't discriminate agin their battery powered history either.

Yes you can send your watch back to them and they'll do up a full history for a fee, but they still give you the basics and usually more for free. All the others want cash up front, before they'll tell you a damn thing. Though kudos to Girard Perregaux, Lange and of all folks Patek Philippe who are much more forthcoming. Zenith used to be cool, as did Omega waaaay back in the day, but latterly no. IWC always wanted their pound of flesh and Rolex will sit on the fence on a vintage to the degree they'll get a second crack in their arse. Yep kudos to Longines on this.

Criminally undervalued? Yep, but let's keep that to ourselves OK? ;):D
    HDMI wrote: »
    Unfortunately it looks small on my now much larger wrists and doesn't get the wrist time it deserves.
    Oh god… I think I've wet myself and for a change it's not just my advancing years. :)

TedR wrote: »
    Joining in the Friday thing :-) Pre Tag Heuer Carrera Friday
    Ohhhh :eek: *puts pants back on*. Nice.
    mad muffin wrote: »
    Fixed :pac:
    :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

"Rolex will sit on the fence on a vintage to the degree they'll get a second crack in their arse"

Ha ha ha I nearly did myself an injury laughing, very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Patek Friday here... oh, wait.
    29052015.jpg
    It's not Friday anymore.. Seriously though, if any of you have a chance of getting to London by the 7th of June then put aside 3 hours to look around the Saatchi gallery.
    http://www.saatchigallery.com/current/patek_philippe_2015.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Seiko Saturday.

350505.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

It's not Friday anymore.. Seriously though, if any of you have a chance of getting to London by the 7th of June then put aside 3 hours to look around the Saatchi gallery.

I moved to London 2 weeks ago and this was on my list to visit. Got called back to the Dublin office on the day the exhibition opened and I'm stuck here until the 15th June :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

On my way this afternoon. Don't know that I'll be able to spend 3hrs though

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Seiko SKX007 modified with Yobokies Husky 2 dial and complimentary hands. I really like the freshness that a while dial brings to this model. My first watch mod, thought I'd never get that second hand on...

futo3q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Love clean dials and that's really nice!! Let me know if you ever decide to flip it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Yep, that´s a great looking watch there. Clean face and hands, legible (I don´t get watches that are hard to read), and functional. Elements of everything from Bell & Ross to Rolex to Muhle Glashutte in there.

FdP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've had this 1916 Hampden for a while now.

2wd7o6b.jpg

But the mismatched dial/hands always irked me. It had the rare to see radium lume dial type, but with "civilian" hands. I've only seen two "military style"

2urlfzm.jpg

So I looked for a civilian dial and found a minter for a tenner a while back.

zk3m1y.jpg

Gorge dial, but that style is the much more common(though the red minutes track is not see so often). I hankered after the original cathedral hands, but Hampden wristwatches are a lot less common than say Elgins and the like so had little hope. Until last week when I spot a bollexed one for spares, a different design but it had the hands. Yay!

So earlier today I broke out the hammers and…

2uro8ly.jpg

Now it's back to how it would have first looked. Next up I'll relume the hands. Also needs a polish and a new crystal, but it's getting there. :) Great little timekeeper too.

The movement is a little beauty, still rocking along a century later.

2wpj72o.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

That's great stuff......its great to be able to fix things. Would love to be able to do the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've had this 1916 Hampden for a while now.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2wd7o6b.jpg

But the mismatched dial/hands always irked me. It had the rare to see radium lume dial type, but with "civilian" hands. I've only seen two "military style"

http://i61.tinypic.com/2urlfzm.jpg

So I looked for a civilian dial and found a minter for a tenner a while back.

http://i62.tinypic.com/zk3m1y.jpg

Gorge dial, but that style is the much more common(though the red minutes track is not see so often). I hankered after the original cathedral hands, but Hampden wristwatches are a lot less common than say Elgins and the like so had little hope. Until last week when I spot a bollexed one for spares, a different design but it had the hands. Yay!

So earlier today I broke out the hammers and…

http://i61.tinypic.com/2uro8ly.jpg

Now it's back to how it would have first looked. Next up I'll relume the hands. Also needs a polish and a new crystal, but it's getting there. :) Great little timekeeper too.

The movement is a little beauty, still rocking along a century later.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2wpj72o.jpg

Say, are you a watchmaker of some description?

Not unless Guntherer First Class is a qualification handed out in Geneva. :pac: I'm OK with movement, hands and dial changes. Mainspring swap outs are easy enough too. I've taken apart an old pocket watch, but found it very hard going TBH. I'd not risk it with something valuable or a wristwatch movement. I'm pretty OK with the early quartz stuff alright. I can strip a Girard Perregaux 350 quartz down to it's constituent parts pretty quickly and more importantly, get them back together again. Though IMH that's down to a solid, quite large in scale and well thought out modular design(Mostly, the date mech can be a nightmare).

Not unless Guntherer First Class is a qualification handed out in Geneva. :pac: I'm OK with movement, hands and dial changes. Mainspring swap outs are easy enough too. I've taken apart an old pocket watch, but found it very hard going TBH. I'd not risk it with something valuable or a wristwatch movement. I'm pretty OK with the early quartz stuff alright. I can strip a Girard Perregaux 350 quartz down to it's constituent parts pretty quickly and more importantly, get them back together again. Though IMH that's down to a solid, quite large in scale and well thought out modular design(Mostly, the date mech can be a nightmare).

I got that one in cars to some degree. More at home with big, ignorant, oily bits. Or as we say in Clare "If it moves, bate it till it doesn't and if it doesn't, bate it till it does" :D
    I wouldn't go near a watch, especially since my tools are more hammers, vice grips, crowbar and a ratchet set. :cool:

I got that one in cars to some degree. More at home with big, ignorant, oily bits. Or as we say in Clare "If it moves, bate it till it doesn't and if it doesn't, bate it till it does" :D
    TBH Dr F I've been working from the Clare Haynes manual for years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

hi wibbs, i have a hamden from 1921, it is lever set, cunninly underneath th 5 position, when i snaffeled i never even saw the lever, the guy i bought it from told me it worked, but the hands could not be changed, i had no specs in the pocket that day, but i picked up a cracker for a tenner, it is fitted with a breguet hairspring, i think i have a spare dial somewhere

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wibbs you'd fit right in over on F&F:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055596057

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

No way F. :eek: Nice catch. For a fecking tenner? Oh get some pics up Sir. You jammy barsteward you.
    blue5000 wrote: »
    One of the best thread titles ever. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Happy Friday. Hope you'll all excuse the old photo. I seem to be a one watch guy now.

1432929560199.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Happy Friday. Hope you'll all excuse the old photo. I seem to be a one watch guy now.

Damn your eyes that's a fine watch. I knew I'd be sorry the day I sold mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Damn your eyes that's a fine watch. I knew I'd be sorry the day I sold mine.

Thanks FDP, I bought about 18 months ago now and liking it now more than ever. Exactly 10 seconds fast over the past 4.5 days. Although I seem to be lucky, even my SKX007 seems to be amazingly accurate.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58038586/1432929560199.jpg

If that is the one watch you own, dayum! Who needs anything else.
    Very nice. Jelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Latest arrival

Moscow Classic Vodolaz chronograph on colour coded aftermarket strap

351278.JPG
    351279.JPG
    351280.JPG
    351281.JPG
    351282.JPG

351295.jpg

A while back some of ye may recall in the midst of suggesting my taste was odd and I should seek professional help that I had one of these;

2cdzb75.jpg

A Bulova Accuquartz centenary model(Italian version) only made for a year in 1975. Case shaped like a tuning fork, the tech that really put Bulova on the map. Well the one above was grand, fantastic timekeeper but the crystal was a bit fecked and at some point the original dial had been swapped out. Since it cost me 90 quid I thought feck it, as the centenary models are scarce enough and the Accuquartz about the scarcest.

With a view to always having a spare for early quartz I kept my eyes open and what do I see a week ago, only a NOS one, broken down for parts at some point. I thought feck it, worth a snipe but figured it would get a lot of bids, but nope and I got it for 22 euros of the realm. Booyaaa! It arrived this morning. So I got to work moving bits and bobs from the Italian, a heart transplant as it were and here are the results…

mkw6cx.jpg

It's literally brand spanking new, forty years on. Time machine sorta thing. The case had remnants of a thin film for transport still on it. Oh yes and that's the original hangtag you see there. :eek: And the original strap with the original buckle; He hadn't shown either in the listing so it was a very pleasant surprise.

28wcua0.jpg
    Needs a clean, but I killed my ultrasonic cleaner last week.

Oh and the caseback, here temporarily attached to the Italian heart donor shows how NOS it is.

w2j6eo.jpg

The Accutron engined ones are rare enough, the Spaceview the commonest and commonest in gold, the Accuquartz is the rarest and the opposite to the Spaceview in that the gold one seems to be very scarce. Was pricey "for a Bulova" back in the day, around 150 sterling so only around 20 odd under a Rolex no date sub so maybe that's why? The gold one was the version they pushed in their adverts at the time.

publicit.JPG

I'm gonna try to get another strap though, as a) it's a little too long for me and b) I don't want to wear it out. I've ordered plastic caseback protector thingies(3 quid for 10 of them) to preserve the original caseback sticker.

In the end, forty years after it went unsold it rises from the ashes and is buzzing away on my wrist as we speak. I love the interwebs. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Congrats Wibbs 'cheap as chips' as David Dickinson would say.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

I'll extend the Accutron theme. Both the below sadly no longer mine...sold on to happy new homes.

Accutron Spaceview..

9006351655_183f56ce59_b.jpg

Accutron with similar case style.

9006371911_a2bc64c7c2_b.jpg

Apologies for poor photos and very jealous of the Accuquartz above!

Loving the date strap on the second example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

Wibbs wrote:
    Loving the date strap on the second example.

It's a gem huh? Love me a bit of retro!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement