Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

For people who suffer from issues triggered by photosensitivity you may want to look away and have the lights on when you make use of the Braindance mechanic as it mirrors a similar pattern used in IPS tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Xenji wrote: »
    For people who suffer from issues triggered by photosensitivity you may want to look away and have the lights on when you make use of the Braindance mechanic as it mirrors a similar pattern used in IPS tests.

Plenty of people having fits over the game already before it's even been released tbfh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Xenji wrote: »

They actually have it in the terms and conditions (which are bizarrely readable with the right column explainers :D).

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/user-agreement/
    3.2 Seizure Warning. Cyberpunk 2077 may contain flashing lights and images, which may induce epileptic seizures. If you or anyone in your household has an epileptic condition, please consult your doctor before playing Cyberpunk 2077. If you experience dizziness, altered vision, eye or muscle twitches, loss of awareness, disorientation, any involuntary movement, or convulsions while playing, immediately discontinue use and consult your doctor.

Oh and this part as well which the likes of Polygon or Kotaku should have probably read before writing the guff they put out :D
    2.2 Content Warning. Cyberpunk 2077 contains scenes and images of violence, sexuality, and drug use that some may find disturbing. If you are sensitive to such content or such content is a trigger for you, please be aware of this before you begin playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

https://twitter.com/dirtyeffinhippy/status/1336204870970433536?s=21

Jesus. The levels of absolute assholery out there never cease to amaze.

As the writer herself says, though, the most important thing is for developers to just keep these things in mind and provide alternatives for those who are photosensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wow, that's next level bellend behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jeeeezus people suck so much. It's pretty ****ing mad that the light sequence in this is similar or the same to the one used to induce seizures. I know there is a warning at the start of most games about it but maybe this should have an option to skip those sequences completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭McFly85

Download finished, anyone else’s saying that it’s playable in less than 21 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wow, that's next level bellend behaviour.

That's Twitter for ya :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

McFly85 wrote: »
    Download finished, anyone else’s saying that it’s playable in less than 21 hours?

From what I've read, the game goes live at the same time and date worldwide.

• Advertisement

McFly85 wrote: »

I've seen some posts on Reddit that said it's showing as playable from 10:30am tomorrow morning? Not sure where they are based though.

Going to purchase it later today and hopefully it will be ready for Friday - my Mrs is going for a girls night out Friday evening so I might just have to break my own ideas of saving it till Xmas and try the first 5-6 hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭McFly85

Could have sworn it was midnight on the 10th but not complaining! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

OSI wrote: »
    While I am epileptic, thankfully I'm not photosensitive so the whole flashing lights thing isn't a big issue for me "medically". However every time I run into such sequences in games/movies etc, rather than wondering whether it's fair from an accessibility point of view I just wonder why the **** devs/directors/cinematographers etc bother putting them in in the first place. Not once I have ever found such a sequence anything but a pain in the arse and a distraction from the action, they contribute nothing.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I don't know what specifically about these sequences causes seizures but surely they can be avoided altogether. Just change the scene to have something that still looks futuristic and sci-fi-ey but doesn't cause seizures in some people.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I don't know what specifically about these sequences causes seizures but surely they can be avoided altogether. Just change the scene to have something that still looks futuristic and sci-fi-ey but doesn't cause seizures in some people.

It's the sequencing of the flashes/frequency of them. Any game at all can cause seizures though in the right circumstances, even something as innocent as spinning on the spot in a sunlit section can set some people off. It does suck for those that suffer from epilepsy but a game set in a neon lit cyberpunk world was always going to have that risk attached to it. That's not excusing a deliberate sequence that could **** some people up but if it wasn't that, there would surely be something else that could also set one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's the sequencing of the flashes/frequency of them. Any game at all can cause seizures though in the right circumstances, even something as innocent as spinning on the spot in a sunlit section can set some people off. It does suck for those that suffer from epilepsy but a game set in a neon lit cyberpunk world was always going to have that risk attached to it. That's not excusing a deliberate sequence that could **** some people up but if it wasn't that, there would surely be something else that could also set one off.

Doesn't seem like it's just some random risk though. There's a specific scene where V puts on a headset, which looks similar to a real-world piece of equipment that's used to induce a seizure in people with epilepsy for diagnosis and medical study. The pattern and sequence of red/white LEDs used on the in-game headset is also very similar to it's real world analog.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/12/07/cyberpunk-2077-epileptic-psa?amp&__twitter_impression=true

"The headset fits over both eyes and features a rapid onslaught of white and red blinking LEDs, much like the actual device neurologists use in real life to trigger a seizure when they need to trigger one for diagnosis purposes. If not modeled off of the IRL design, it's a very spot-on coincidence, and because of that this is one aspect that I would personally advise you to avoid altogether. When you notice the headset come into play, look away completely or close your eyes. This is a pattern of lights designed to trigger an epileptic episode and it very much did that in my own personal playthrough."

Doesn't seem like it's just some random risk though. There's a specific scene where V puts on a headset, which looks similar to a real-world piece of equipment that's used to induce a seizure in people with epilepsy for diagnosis and medical study. The pattern and sequence of red/white LEDs used on the in-game headset is also very similar to it's real world analog.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/12/07/cyberpunk-2077-epileptic-psa?amp&__twitter_impression=true

"The headset fits over both eyes and features a rapid onslaught of white and red blinking LEDs, much like the actual device neurologists use in real life to trigger a seizure when they need to trigger one for diagnosis purposes. If not modeled off of the IRL design, it's a very spot-on coincidence, and because of that this is one aspect that I would personally advise you to avoid altogether. When you notice the headset come into play, look away completely or close your eyes. This is a pattern of lights designed to trigger an epileptic episode and it very much did that in my own personal playthrough."

Yeah and I know that, and it's something they should patch with an accessibility option asap or at least have the option to disable it. My point though is that any sequence of changing light/flashing light could set someone off - it doesn't matter if it's one part of the game specifically (same people could even run in to trouble from muzzle flash in a shooting section in a dark interior) but someone with that level of risk in the first place should think very carefully about playing.

Maybe someone with more experience could tell us, but as far as I know, playing in a well lit room will generally negate most flashing light sequences? Might not be of much benefit if the TV is a super OLED of some sort or playing with a lamp on but there is some way to lessen the impact of it from what I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

PS4 update is up too, another 28.425GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

This is a stupid question, but I'm waiting on a disc copy to play on PS5, would I have any way to pre-load the data before the disc arrives? Or do I need to wait until I have a physical copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

Before delays this was a day one purchase for me but at this stage i think i'll wait for the PS5 patch. Witcher 3 one of my favourite games ever so dying to see this in action on the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I suffer with photosensitivity inducing severe migraines and have no issues with 95% of flashing lights in games and I always play in a brightly lit room as it is lessens the strain on my eyes and it does negate a large amount of sudden light and brightness changes.

There is no way though I would be able to look at what has been described or even chance it as it fills the whole screen and not just some small areas.

For me as well FOV sliders were a god send as games like The Evil Within and Doom were impossible to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

jones wrote: »
    Before delays this was a day one purchase for me but at this stage i think i'll wait for the PS5 patch. Witcher 3 one of my favourite games ever so dying to see this in action on the PS5.

The game will have a PS5 optimised version on day 1, we just don't know how optimised yet.
    weemcd wrote: »
    This is a stupid question, but I'm waiting on a disc copy to play on PS5, would I have any way to pre-load the data before the disc arrives? Or do I need to wait until I have a physical copy?

You will need the disc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Think I'll wait for the PS5 to get this as I reckon I'll have to delete everything off the PS4 to download the thing.

One thing I find interesting about the reviews, well the less than effusive ones, is the criticism generally seems to be "a look at the future through the restricted prism of our current society." Criticism such as the lack of gender choice and what not.

I'm pretty sure CDPR were always upfront on the limits of gender anyway, and I say that as someone who only had a passing interest in the build up. Just seems disingenuous to have a go over something they were upfront about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Think I'll wait for the PS5 to get this as I reckon I'll have to delete everything off the PS4 to download the thing.

One thing I find interesting about the reviews, well the less than effusive ones, is the criticism generally seems to be "a look at the future through the restricted prism of our current society." Criticism such as the lack of gender choice and what not.

I'm pretty sure CDPR were always upfront on the limits of gender anyway, and I say that as someone who only had a passing interest in the build up. Just seems disingenuous to have a go over something they were upfront about it.

The Kotaku article I read mentions transgender or cisgender characters 25 times in one review. Which I think is borderline insanity to be so fixated by one particular point. The writer was transgender themselves and seemed to have to view every aspect of the game through that lens.

It's a dystopian Cyberpunk game set in the near future were absolutely everything has the volume turned up past 11, with neon beams and spikes attached to it. Anyone looking for subtle portrayals of gender roles, or nuance in sex, gender, relationships, whatever it may be are looking in the wrong place.

It won't hinder my enjoyment of the game even 1%... what WILL determine my enjoyment of the game is how it plays, how it looks, what the performance is like on my console, soundtrack, menu layouts etc etc. That's what the game is actually about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Varik wrote: »
    PS4 update is up too, another 28.425GB.

Is this on top of the 43gb patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

weemcd wrote: »
    That's what the game is actually about.
    What the game is actually about is subjective. As with all art it can and should be criticized through different lenses. In fairness, the Kotaku review is quite in-depth and covers a lot.

Maybe don't read kotaku if it annoys you so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is this on top of the 43gb patch.

No clue, game started downloading last night and that new update started when I started the PlayStation today.

There's not the same notifications on PS5 so I can't see if anything else downloaded. Game says it's version 1.01 but that might be the current live version including this update.

The 43GB might also be just the disc copy update, and digital get's the 28GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    What the game is actually about is subjective. As with all art it can and should be criticized through different lenses. In fairness, the Kotaku review is quite in-depth and covers a lot.

I read that Kotaku article and I can appreciate the work they put into it, and I found parts informative in deciding whether I'll rush to get it (I won't be).

That being said, the writer was upfront from the start about how the build up and leaks bent their nose out of shape - so it's not necessarily about art being subjective and different lenses, but more about how the writer formed an opinion before playing the game and went from there.

Ultimately RPGs are about the choice and freedom of the player, and CDPR from the sounds of things have created a huge game. It's inevitable RPGs will continue to push and deliver one day the sort of choice and social awareness that this writer, and many others, are hoping for one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I've succumbed and purchased it anyway. Slow download though, guessing servers are being hammered at the speed it's going at

SomeSayKos wrote: »

But it is not a trans or non binary story, that’s the crux of half of Kotaku and Polygons reviews and has absolutely nothing to do with the game. They handed the reviews to people with a specific worldview who then found out the game is not about them and whinged about it - Polygons in particular is nearly unreadable as it goes for almost 7 paragraphs complaining about things 99.9999% of the playerbase couldn’t care less about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I read that Kotaku article and I can appreciate the work they put into it, and I found parts informative in deciding whether I'll rush to get it (I won't be).

That being said, the writer was upfront from the start about how the build up and leaks bent their nose out of shape - so it's not necessarily about art being subjective and different lenses, but more about how the writer formed an opinion before playing the game and went from there.

Ultimately RPGs are about the choice and freedom of the player, and CDPR from the sounds of things have created a huge game. It's inevitable RPGs will continue to push and deliver one day the sort of choice and social awareness that this writer, and many others, are hoping for one day.

I read the review and they complained about too many white people in The Witcher. That was enough to tell me not to pay attention to them tbh

Advertisement