Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

titan18 wrote: »
    I read the review and they complained about too many white people in The Witcher. That was enough to tell me not to pay attention to them tbh

Must have missed that part! :D I was referring to their criticism of game mechanics which has put me off, as I found the Witcher cumbersome at times to the point I stopped playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    What the game is actually about is subjective. As with all art it can and should be criticized through different lenses. In fairness, the Kotaku review is quite in-depth and covers a lot.

Maybe don't read kotaku if it annoys you so much?

Kotaku is a brilliant website, I read it all the time and will continue to do so. That article was thoroughly wide of the mark though, to the point it should have been heavily edited before it was published.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Must have missed that part! :D I was referring to their criticism of game mechanics which has put me off, as I found the Witcher cumbersome at times to the point I stopped playing.

I sort of assumed your username meant you were a Witcher fan but guess not.

I can't speak much about the whole trans stuff, but to me a game is rarely about diversity, cos most aren't set in real life. If I'm playing as a mutated man who goes about killing monsters for a living, a high elf, a Viking, or a cyber enhanced person in the future, last thing I'm thinking of is sure ain't enough of insert minority in this game.

Tbf, the review did have good things about it but it was still one of the worse ones I read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know some people go off at anything Kotaku and Polygon write about gender etc... And others just don’t care in this particular case. But I think of all the games out there it’s a particularly relevant subject for critique in a game heavily built and marketed around themes + mechanics of body modification, sex work and unusually detailed genitalia customisation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

But it is not a trans or non binary story, that’s the crux of half of Kotaku and Polygons reviews and has absolutely nothing to do with the game. They handed the reviews to people with a specific worldview who then found out the game is not about them and whinged about it - Polygons in particular is nearly unreadable as it goes for almost 7 paragraphs complaining about things 99.9999% of the playerbase couldn’t care less about.
    I never said it was a 'trans or non binary story', my point is that there are many voices out there reviewing the game and that's a positive thing. As a cis male I don't know how it feels to not be represented in most video games that are made. I'd imagine it feels weird and alienating. I found the review interesting as it gave some perspective outside of my own experience. The polygon and kotaku reviews both discussed MANY other parts of the game other than gender, and I think the fact that people are getting so hung up on it is a bit weird. Both reviews point out a lot of positives about the game so it's not like they trashed it over the whole gender issue.

I'm sure most reviews of this game won't discuss the trans/gender aspects of the game or lack thereof, so what's the big deal that some articles are?

• Advertisement

I never said it was a 'trans or non binary story', my point is that there are many voices out there reviewing the game and that's a positive thing. As a cis male I don't know how it feels to not be represented in most video games that are made. I'd imagine it feels weird and alienating. I found the review interesting as it gave some perspective outside of my own experience.

I don't know what games you play, or what you do for a job, and just going to take random game examples here, but do you actually find yourself represented playing as Geralt, Trevor in GTA, Ezio, Master Chief, Arthur Morgan etc.

Cos I'm also a white male like them and I don't really have many similarities other than tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

I never said it was a 'trans or non binary story', my point is that there are many voices out there reviewing the game and that's a positive thing. As a cis male I don't know how it feels to not be represented in most video games that are made. I'd imagine it feels weird and alienating. I found the review interesting as it gave some perspective outside of my own experience. The polygon and kotaku reviews both discussed MANY other parts of the game other than gender, and I think the fact that people are getting so hung up on it is a bit weird. Both reviews point out a lot of positives about the game so it's not like they trashed it over the whole gender issue.

I'm sure most reviews of this game won't discuss the trans/gender aspects of the game or lack thereof, so what's the big deal that some articles are?

What’s a “cis male”?? :confused:

I don’t feel represented by Tomb Raider but I still play them. Didn’t feel represented in Horrizon Zero Dawn either but still played it. I don’t mind different opinions in video game reviews but there’s no place for having a 1/4 long article whinge that whatever imaginary gender you perceive yourself to be isn’t represented in a game that never once claimed to be about you, it’s progressive cringe playing to the wrong audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

My pre load is saying 16 hours on PS4, I thought it wasn’t released until tomorrow night at midnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    My pre load is saying 16 hours on PS4, I thought it wasn’t released until tomorrow night at midnight?

Same as someone earlier in this thread and similar comments on Reddit - looks like it might be playable from around 10:30am tomorrow??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Epic launch trailer, roll on tomorrow night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

What’s a “cis male”?? :confused:

I don’t feel represented by Tomb Raider but I still play them. Didn’t feel represented in Horrizon Zero Dawn either but still played it. I don’t mind different opinions in video game reviews but there’s no place for having a 1/4 long article whinge that whatever imaginary gender you perceive yourself to be isn’t represented in a game that never once claimed to be about you, it’s progressive cringe playing to the wrong audience.

It's means a person born biologically male. Which is 99.99% of males are so it's just verbose. It's like saying "I'm a man and have had a penis from birth", totally unnecessary as we presumed you were unless you tell us otherwise.

People that use it the term in normal conversation are better off ignored as they're generally knee deep in the whole gender indentity bullsh*t.

Mine is coming out to midnight.1 day 5 hours and 35 minutes away. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

It's means a person born biologically male. Which is 99.99% of males are so it's just verbose. It's like saying "I'm a man with a penis", yeah we assumed you were unless you tell us otherwise eg. you're a trans male.

People that use it the term in normal conversation are better off ignored as they're generally knee deep in the whole gender indentity bullsh*t.
    I used that term specifically because of the context of the discussion and the review that was being referenced which was written by a trans person....

Jayziz. Lot of snowflakes hanging out in this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mine is coming out to midnight :(

what store you buy it off

Varik wrote: »
    what store you buy it off

PSN store, I am UK account so maybe it's that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,257 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I just want to enjoy a good game and not get caught up in woke politics. I use games as an escapism and relaxation from the daily grind of life. :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Bought on the PSN store, using my normal Irish account. My brother is over in wales and his is saying 16 hours as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Still can't decide whether to play as male or female V on first run.

I do know that when i make my male V, gonna make him as close to Jake Armitage as possible.

399137-jake.jpg

• Advertisement

Bought on the PSN store, using my normal Irish account. My brother is over in wales and his is saying 16 hours as well.

Maybe it'll change after it finishes downloading for me hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Intu

Mine is saying the same! Playable in 16 hours on PSN, wonder will we be playing it tomorrow morning? Really hope it's not an error, I'm working two 12 hour shifts Thursday and Friday!

11am tomorrow morning is midnight Wednesday night in NZ.

My Series X download is a mess. I *think* I have it installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Maybe it'll change after it finishes downloading for me hopefully

Might do it by itself but if it's still not reading the new time try restoring licences.

From reddit, interesting that the new 28gb update doesn't add to the 102gb total size on PlayStation, like as of it replaces files instead of adding on.

"
    Last night finished pre-load of 102 GB for Playstation digital version, this morning got a download of a 28 GB patch and now shows game as version 1.02.

Version 1.02
    Various Stability improvements
    Various performance improvements
    Critical progression and gameplay issues addressed
    Total game size in storage shows as 102 GB
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

My PS5 is telling me i can play the game at 10am tomorrow.

Not gonna complain

Mine just finished downloading on ps5 and days it unlocks in 15 hours, 30 minutes so 11am tomorrow. Would be beaming if it did unlock then but wouldn't be surprised if the time updates or just stays at 0 until it actually unlocks at midnight.

Hidden message in the launch trailer.

The wait for Cyberpunk 2077 is almost over. It's been quite the journey, and first of all we want to thank all of you for being with us along the way. We know there's a fair amount of anticipation for the game, and very soon you will all be able to decide whether or not we lived up to the hype.

Launch day is always a mix of excitement and constant nerve-wracking, and with this being the first game we've developed that isn't titled 'The Witcher', we'd be lying if we said we weren't anxious to see what you think once you've sunk your teeth into it. With this launch trailer, we're just about ready to flick the switch and see Cyberpunk 2077 go from ours to become yours. We set out to create our most immersive world yet, and we believe that the stories waiting for you to uncover, and the relationships you'll forge during your time in Night City, will stick with you for quite some time.

We've mentioned before that expansions will be coming, and while we're not ready to talk specifics just yet, we will say that we've learned a lot from our work on both Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine. Our planned expansions will take you even deeper into the world of Cyberpunk 2077 offering substantial, story-driven content that'll give you tough choices to make through impactful narratives that you won't soon forget.

But before we get there, we'll first be kicking off our free DLC program in early 2021. Just like with The Witcher 3, expect an assortment of free DLC packs to begin hitting Night City, dropping a bunch of cool stuff that'll inject even more life into the world of the dark future. We hope you're looking forward to them!

We want to end this message with a request. Once you play/finished the game, we would love it if you got back to us and told us who your V was. Our forums and social media are there for you. We want to know how you found Night City and what choices you made. We created a huge world for you to jump into, tell us your story.

CD PROJEKT RED team

• Advertisement

Mine still for midnight tomorrow night after downloading. Bah

Advertisement