Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

That's another reason I'm ok to wait, still have to finish the W3 expansions

I'm playing Assassin's Creed atm so I might download it and hold off a week.. Can start it alongside my holidays. It sounds like they needed to release it in time for the fiscal year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Have the reviewers said whether or not they are playing with the latest patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Markitron wrote: »

PC gamer claim to have patch 0, and they have asked CDPR if it is the same as patch day 1, affirmitive was the answer, acc to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Read a couple of reviews. Looks like it's a buggy mess

Sadly this seems to be the case, at least with the version that was given to reviewers over a month ago. There is now a 15.6GB patch up on Xbox so you would have to hope that this will iron some of the 100s of bugs out. Some of the bugs present are actually game ruining for me like characters not moving during any of the cut scenes or dialog interactions and then their is the lip syncing that seems to be so bugged their mouths don't even move sometimes. But when it works, its amazing. To be honest, the game seems to be a little lost within itself at the moment. A mass of skill tress that are huge in their own right with limited combat.

I cant help but wonder should I wait until Jan to play this game given its current state or should CDPK have delayed it again until the new year?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-07-cyberpunk-2077-review-impressions

A quote from the reviewer...

I played the game for 20-odd hours on the review build ("content complete but not final") and then the next 20 with "a part of the day zero patch", and there's a list of things that aim to be fixed in the rest of that "day zero" patch - but importantly, even if the rest of this patch is successful, lots of bugs I suffered from weren't on that list of what it plans to fix, which has me worried.

To be honest, it is a mess right now. Characters frozen in default, static animations throughout cutscenes/scripted conversations/scenes; floating weapons after you kill the enemy holding them (this was supposed to be fixed but is still happening); stuff just... not appearing in characters hands when they're supposed to be holding something; one where smashing a window that I needed to smash for a quest sent me flying 150 yards backwards, repeatedly. All immersion-breaking stuff, over "game-breaking", but in a game that's built around the altar of immersiveness, it's an issue...

I am not sure I want to play the game in this state. I want to enjoy it and experience it the way CDPK wants players to. I don't know what to do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm steering well clear. There's too many good games out now to waste my time with a broken one. I'll check back in February or March.

I dunno. Assassin's Creed Valhalla is a buggy mess too and people weren't complaining half as much at that release. It's just that CP is higher profile. I have my Steam preload down and ready to go anyway.

As a software engineer I do feel pretty sorry for the developers atm. They're gonna be doing overtime for next few weeks and what a crap time of year for it, particularly this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Has there been any sign of raw console footage or a next gen review? All seems a little bit dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Think the preload starts today on PS5 as well (Should already be up on the other platforms)

• Advertisement

Think the preload starts today on PS5 as well (Should already be up on the other platforms)

Its up on Xbox since last Friday. 59GB game. Yesterday they put up a 15GB patch on Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Should I be catching up on lore videos on youtube, or would it be fine to just dive in unaware of the source material?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,573 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As a software engineer I do feel pretty sorry for the developers atm. They're gonna be doing overtime for next few weeks and what a crap time of year for it, particularly this year.

Yupp, there was a time when devs could celebrate the launch of a game and take a well deserved break but for most now, it means working harder than ever.

I have full faith these bugs will be ironed out and I'm still looking forward to blasting through Night City on a motorbike with a samurai sword with Keanu whispering sweet nothings in my ear.

Preload started last night at midnight, 102GB's.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Preload started last night at midnight, 102GB's.

So its 102GB on PS5 and 59GB on Series X?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm not hugely concerned about the bugs. Bugs, huge ones, are 100% inevitable for a game of this size and scope.

Witcher 3, Fallout 3, Fallout 4, New Vegas, were all riddled with bugs on release that took a while to iron out.

Games like these, I just flat out refuse to play them at launch. It's not realistic to expect them to be anything other than extremely buggy due to their huge complexity, and you'll just end having a bad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, if CD Projekt Red haven't optimised this to at least run well enough on those, they're idiots. A tiny percentage of the customer base has PS5 and Series X, and a similar tiny percentage who'll have stuff like a 2080,3070,3080 etc. Its likely going to be buggy based on all the reports and sure it won't run as well, but if there's not an acceptable level of performance, game deserves to fail

The framedrops aren't due to the GPU, they are due to the CPU.

The graphics processors in the base Xbox One and PS4, and certainly the One X and PS4P, are fairly OK for consistent performance at various levels.

The Jaguar CPU is the problem. It was low-end in 2013, so you can imagine that it's incredibly difficult to work with in 2020 for a huge open world game.

Fallout 4 from 2015 had the same problem. Tons of framerate issues, because the CPU's were strangling the consoles.

Regardless of how buggy it is, saying it deserves to fail because they can't magically make a hugely complex open world game run well on a low-end processor from 2013 is a bit unfair.

It's not a case of they didn't optimise, they just can't really. They can only do the best they can, which is aim for 30fps and accept that drops and stutters will happen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Old build

https://www.gamesradar.com/cyberpunk-2077-is-a-different-game-after-console-update-says-cdpr-dev/

It's so weird when devs rely on review scores so heavily to please upper management and shareholders, that something can apparently be fixed between the reviewer content and the release date. We shouldn't be playing something with drastic fixes that reviewers don't get to experience. Guess they needed more time but absolutely couldn't delay into 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

AdamD wrote: »
    Has there been any sign of raw console footage or a next gen review? All seems a little bit dodgy

Not a thing, which is my big worry. Everything so far has been on PC and if that's a mess, the consoles could be a trainwreck.

Yea this is what I was thinking, not that I am saying its fair but this is obviously why they won't let them use captured footage until later this week. They should have just waited to publish their reviews.

I was saying yesterday that everything about this game was going to be an overblown ****show, this is just the first step. Wait until Polygon or Kotaku start writing articles comparing this to Mein Kampf because an in-game shadow accidentally gives someone a Hitler moustache.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Yea this is what I was thinking, not that I am saying its fair but this is obviously why they won't let them use captured footage until later this week. They should have just waited to publish their reviews.

I was saying yesterday that everything about this game was going to be an overblown ****show, this is just the first step. Wait until Polygon or Kotaku start writing articles comparing this to Mein Kampf because an in-game shadow accidentally gives someone a Hitler moustache.

Some of those outlets are already turning this in to CyberWhinge 2077 with all this nonsense about gender options etc. Who the **** cares? Does it affect gameplay in the slightest? If not, then it’s a personal opinion and nothing more - and probably something that won’t bother 99.999% of the people who will play it.

Some of those outlets are already turning this in to CyberWhinge 2077 with all this nonsense about gender options etc. Who the **** cares? Does it affect gameplay in the slightest? If not, then it’s a personal opinion and nothing more - and probably something that won’t bother 99.999% of the people who will play it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people are a bit apprehensive, CDPR have done and said some dodgy things in the last few years and they should be held accountable - which I think they mostly were.

But yea, any little detail in this game is being blown up massively as some huge deal, it is already gone way too far. This isn't the first game to lock a character voice to a gender and it will not be the last. It doesn't mean that every person that works for CDPR is suddenly a Graham Linehan alt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

or people start giving out about the bloat.

or people start giving out about the bloat.

That too

Not a thing, which is my big worry. Everything so far has been on PC and if that's a mess, the consoles could be a trainwreck.

https://twitter.com/fabiandoehla/status/1336116453867728896

https://twitter.com/fabiandoehla/status/1336149633614163968

Zero-Cool wrote: »

So it seems to me like it is one of those Crysis situations where you can't just expect to run at max settings at launch, the hardware just isn't there.

I'm not going to lie or make excuses for CDPK but I am very disappointed reading multiple reviews today. Any other developer and we would all be thrashing them. Even with a day one patch its clear that this game needs 3 months more work. In its current state it not in good shape. Its very clear that their hand was forced and they had to release before 2021. What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

It sounds like they could have done with a few more months of bug fixing and optimisation-there could be some legal reason they had to release the game this year.

I get why people would be annoyed by the amount of bugs at launch, but I think CDPR get something of a free pass as judged by previous releases you will be getting a game that will be supported for years through bug fixes, updates for new hardware, free dlc etc. It’s definitely annoying but a game you can buy now won’t stay with all these issues forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I wonder how my old i7 6700k + 1080ti will run this at 1440p or 4k, would i be better off buying it on standard ps4 or stadia. Was hoping to have a ps5 or new GPU, but they can't be got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Have bought it on Xbox as I owe the guy I game share with and he wants it on day one, otherwise I'd be staying well clear. I have a series X so why would I pay full price for a buggy mess of an Xbox one version when I can most likely buy it on discount and play a (hopefully well patched) series X version 6 months down the line.

I'll most likely play the first few hours just to see what it's like and then park it til the Series X version is out.

Advertisement