Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

We have well and truly crushed the curve. Testing increased 3 fold this week and case numbers are this low. Fantastic stuff.

Yeah, a lot of the increased testing probably down to nursing homes. The last time they were being tested, there was an increase in the daily cases, but we all knew it was down to targeted testing in the nursing homes. Thankfully, we’re not seeing such an increase this time around. Great to see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

There is no published science that provides quantatitive or qualitative data identifying the advantage of mandatory mask wearing in all circumstances over other measures. Those countries that introduced mandatory mask wearing also reacted very early, so we cannot identify which had the significant impact. Plus Denmark were just as successful. We have also crushed the curve to a far greater extent than some of these places, and over counted deaths to a huge extent, confirmed by our former Taoiseach. Masks are and remain a useful control for public transport and indoor locations where social distancing cannot be applied or extended exposure is possible. But as a mandatory measure in all circumstances the evidence is mixed at best.

Masks are the equivalent of Homer Simpson's anti-tiger rock. P.S. Homer's rock may have had special powers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I'm off now with my thread ban. It's been fun Covid freaks :D

You can take a week away from the Covid forum

Similar results in countries that did and did not introduce mandatory mask wearing

That poster mentioned masks and normal flu season. Their agenda is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Yanks are starting to test for flu and covid at the same time now. We should probably start considering it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

is_that_so wrote: »
    And this is also at the root of the dramatic German "surge" in R0.

You mean the surge that had the prophets of doom shouting from the rooftops? The surge that about 2 weeks later amounted to nothing substantial?

They're pyrrhic.

There's no news today. We're at the same stage as we were a month ago in supressing the virus, it's well under control here, which is good. But coming on here for a celebration of nothing? The world is recording record cases of the virus. We live in a global village. It will be hard to keep it from coming back strongly.

When there's a vaccine and a couple of hundred new cases globally a day i'll celebrate with you.

I think you'll be 'celebrating' on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

polesheep wrote: »
    Masks are the equivalent of Homer Simpson's anti-tiger rock. P.S. Homer's rock may have had special powers.

is this the level we're at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

'Do what we say, not what we do' seems to be a common theme among 'the powers that be'.

"Boris Johnson has refused to condemn his father for flying to Greece in apparent breach of British Foreign Office guidance to avoid non-essential travel.

Stanley Johnson was widely criticised after reportedly travelling via Bulgaria – in order to avoid the ban on direct flights from the UK – to visit his Greek villa."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/boris-johnson-refuses-to-condemn-his-fathers-trip-to-greek-villa-1009076.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    You mean the surge that had the prophets of doom shouting from the rooftops? The surge that about 2 weeks later amounted to nothing substantial?

I think you are exaggerating the "shouting from the rooftops".

A few posters talked about the German numbers, some expressed concern, but really not that many. And there was always just as many using caution and context to try to explain the numbers. It wasn't mass hysteria on the thread.

Shouting from the rooftops? Why the hyperbole?

I don't recall anyone of note calling it as a second surge in Germany. I read lots and lots about how it wasn't that. Coverage seemed pretty measured overall to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Gardaí to start checking pubs to ensure Covid-19 guidelines being followed

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/garda%C3%AD-to-start-checking-pubs-to-ensure-covid-19-guidelines-being-followed-1.4295739?mode=amp

Glad to hear this. Hopefully it isn't just hot-air from the Guards. I know of plenty of pubs this week that were letting people stay drinking for hours and hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Arghus wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/garda%C3%AD-to-start-checking-pubs-to-ensure-covid-19-guidelines-being-followed-1.4295739?mode=amp

Glad to hear this. Hopefully it isn't just hot-air from the Guards. I know of plenty of pubs this week that were letting people stay drinking for hours and hours.

The gardai actually can't do anything, the pubs aren't breaking any laws by letting people stay more than 105 minutes. Its for show plain and simple. The "guidelines" have no legal footing.

If your going to a pub have a meal it's quite simple. But this is nothing more than a PR exercise.

I've been in 2 pubs this week for dinner and a few drinks and if its not busy you wont be asked to leave. If its busy they'll ask for the table after about 2hrs

I think you are exaggerating the "shouting from the rooftops".

A few posters talked about the German numbers, some expressed concern, but really not that many. And there was always just as many using caution and context to try to explain the numbers. It wasn't mass hysteria on the thread.

Shouting from the rooftops? Why the hyperbole?

I don't recall anyone of note calling it as a second surge in Germany. I read lots and lots about how it wasn't that. Coverage seemed pretty measured overall to me.

There were people saying the same thing would eventually happen here and people deliberately misrepresented the rate of infection of 2.88. I might have exaggerated with prophets of soon but look at seven septs pissing all over the fact we've the lowest transmission rate in Western Europe. Some people just can't let up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Couldn’t they just grant extra powers to Inspectors from the Food Safety Authority to look after this and shut the places down on the spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

The gardai actually can't do anything, the pubs aren't breaking any laws by letting people stay more than 105 minutes. Its for show plain and simple. The "guidelines" have no legal footing.

If your going to a pub have a meal it's quite simple. But this is nothing more than a PR exercise.

I've been in 2 pubs this week for dinner and a few drinks and if its not busy you wont be asked to leave. If its busy they'll ask for the table after about 2hrs

We had one pub here that is follwing the guide lines and doing well. (They started planning ages ago). The other was a free for all at weekend and two neighbours looked in and left straightaway its includes a small takeaway attached that was jammed. My favorite isnt opening until 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In the US, Arizona reports less than 9% ICU beds capacity remains which is only 156, but they will probably have some overflow capacity. Texas is already diverting patients to overflow facilities.

The rise in ER admissions in Arizona is striking in the last couple of days, the big epicenter by a long shot is Pheonix...

EcAuQHtUwAAuDyT?format=jpg&name=small

The big message here from across these states is how quickly this escalates, it can't be hammered home enough and that's in the middle of summer.

If that was winter and in tandem with flu season then... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    There were people saying the same thing would eventually happen here and people deliberately misrepresented the rate of infection of 2.88. I might have exaggerated with prophets of soon but look at seven septs pissing all over the fact we've the lowest transmission rate in Western Europe. Some people just can't let up.

So, just checking in are you back to work in the office?
    Still doing the Masters this autumn?
    How has your life changed due to lockdown?
    You were so anxious about it before, did it effect you in the ways you expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Private Jet with US tourists rejected at Italy’s borders

Forgive my ignorance as I haven't been following things as closely of late but I presumed that the European ban on certain countries just meant all European countries are doing this but I was told by someone today that we are still allowing people from America to enter Ireland. Is that true?

Forgive my ignorance as I haven't been following things as closely of late but I presumed that the European ban on certain countries just meant all European countries are doing this but I was told by someone today that we are still allowing people from America to enter Ireland. Is that true?

think its just Schengen area that the european restrictions apply to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

All those US multinationals have to be looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

think its just Schengen area that the european restrictions apply to

Why aren't we doing the same? Seems like complete madness. Apparently this person was saying there has been quite an influx of American tourists in the last week. For a country who I think has made some very good decisions during all of this I can't help but to be baffled by our border policies during it.

Edit - I only see now there is a whole thread on the topic.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    So, just checking in are you back to work in the office?
    Still doing the Masters this autumn?
    How has your life changed due to lockdown?
    You were so anxious about it before, did it effect you in the ways you expected?

Yeah I've been back a few weeks now thanks for asking. The course is still going ahead thank God and things are more or less back to normal. I hope everything's alright with yourself. I feel embarrassed over my outburst back in April it just kind of boiled over and I made an ass of myself. Thanks a lot for checking in and I hope you're doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

wadacrack wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/texmed/status/1279046501054980096
    Be informed. Know your risk. Stay safe.

they saved the best till last, didn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

with daily positivity rate of over 23%.

That Stat is mental

Why are we seeing 0.3 % in Ireland and 23% there?

Different stages of the curve? Different standards of Restrictions?

Perhaps both I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

Currently there is just under 15,000 active cases in Italy and 1% of that are seriously ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It's shocking that there could be such big outbreaks in sparsely populated cities like Phoenix, people in that part of the country must be paying absolutely no heed to trying to stop the spread. To think places like Hong Kong and Tokyo completely avoided major outbreaks, just completely lack of leadership and personal responsibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Currently there is just under 15,000 active cases in Italy and 1% of that are seriously ill.

Italy reports 79 as serious/critical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement