Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Super Bowl wins aside, he was an NFL starter for near 15 years, put up over 55k passing yards and took his team to the playoffs 6 times. How many players in NFL history can say they've done the same?
    The issue I would have with that, is that we are going to see those type of figures going forward (from good to average QBs). Rivers has better figures than Eli, and he shouldn't get in. Stafford will have figures like Eli, and shouldn't get in.

Can't put his SB wins aside (which I don't think you are doing), and he deserves credit for it. But as much as I love Edelman, and his post season career is amazing (3x SB wins, 1 x SB MVP, 2nd all time yards), he isn't that elite WR like those that make the HOF.

Maybe with the naming Hall of 'Fame', Eli does merit inclusion. But he's not a Hall of Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,548 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Phillp rivers wont make it into the hall
    I think he will make it.
    He has been the leader in passer rating, yardage and completion % in different seasons. He will have thrown for over 60k yards and 400 TDs by the time he retires.

Comparisons for both that I would use are Troy Aikman for Eli and Warren Moon for Rivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I expect Rivers, Ben and Eli to all make it at some point.

And in my mind, deservedly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I wouldn't be so quick to put down Eli.

Sure, he was never the best in the league and was rarely if eve considered one of the top 5 QBs either. Though that's difficult given for most of his career Brady, Manning and Brees permanently occupied 3 of those top 5 spots.

Super Bowl wins aside, he was an NFL starter for near 15 years, put up over 55k passing yards and took his team to the playoffs 6 times. How many players in NFL history can say they've done the same?

I don't think the Hall of Fame should purely be for the elite, best of the best players. There has to be an allowance for players who were never the best, but had exceptional careers and Eli is one of the slam dunk fits for the latter category.

No one is putting Eli down, they're just looking at his career as a whole rather than cherry picking accomplishments while completely ignoring his negatives.

I disagree with linking QBs so closely to wins as the media and many fans do but if you want to go down that road then you can't ignore that in his 6 trips to the playoffs he only managed to win a game on 2 occasions and overall he led his team to the same number of loses as wins. You're giving him the credit for the wins but not making him accountable for the loses.

I also wouldn't class him as having an exceptional career, he had 2 exceptional playoff runs and the rest was good, at best. A 15 year career is great but it is hardly like playing QB has durability issues like RBs etc. If we're being honest about it, if the Giants hadn't be so nostalgic and felt such a sense of loyalty to him he wouldn't have been their QB for the last 3 or 4 years. Every excuse was made for Manning that isn't made for other QBs and he was not close to deserving the money they were paying him. The Giants as an organisation would have been in a better position if they had moved on when they should have, you know if Brady was playing to Manning's level over that period Bill would have shown him the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

He's not even the best qb in his family ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

In Shannon Sharpe's HoF entry speech he admitted he wasn't the best player in his family and Sterling was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Its Cooper i feel sorry for. The only Manning who wont end up in the HoF

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I also wouldn't class him as having an exceptional career, he had 2 exceptional playoff runs and the rest was good, at best.

He didn't win a single playoff game outside of the Super Bowl runs.

0 for 4

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://twitter.com/cameronwolfe/status/1220711867674439681?s=21

Hopefully the mental health assessment happens if for no one else's benefit but Antonio brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I think everyone has AB fatigue at this stage. I see his stepdad did an interview recently and it did not paint AB in a good light. Said he was a nightmare from 12 years of age and that as an adult he had seen him be horrible and abusive to women. It’s amazing how quickly and how publicly he went completely off the rails all the same.

Genuinely hope he gets help before he hurts himself or somebody else badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

https://985thesportshub.com/2020/01/24/saints-fighting-to-hide-emails-relating-to-new-orleans-church-abuse-scandal/

A lot to be proven but if shown to be true...

Should it be the end of the Saints? I mean this should be the end of anyone's career but if it is shown at an organizational level what should the punishment be?

I would stress emails have not been released yet so we don't have proof of the Saints covering up sex abuse scandals for the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Christy42 wrote: »
    https://985thesportshub.com/2020/01/24/saints-fighting-to-hide-emails-relating-to-new-orleans-church-abuse-scandal/

A lot to be proven but if shown to be true...

Should it be the end of the Saints? I mean this should be the end of anyone's career but if it is shown at an organizational level what should the punishment be?

I would stress emails have not been released yet so we don't have proof of the Saints covering up sex abuse scandals for the church.

The Catholic Church and the saints ? What an odd headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The Catholic Church and the saints ? What an odd headline.

The pope is a Saints fan.

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2019/10/14/case-accidental-evangelization-papal-tweet-about-saints-goes-viral

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

bruschi wrote: »
    There is a strong argument to either rename this thread or start a whole new one "The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of Antonio Brown"

I posted this last September. It absolutely still applies now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

If that is true about the saints she will be forced to sell up. Well should be.... But there's been times I thought it would happen and it hasn't., but there is a provision there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not football but Kobe Bryant has died in a helicopter crash in La

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Not football but Kobe Bryant has died in a helicopter crash in La

Absolutely devastating news. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ESPN have broken away from the ProBowl for coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Anyone watching the probowl? Same shíte different year or is it any good?

Horrible news. True star.

On the pro bowl. It should be about the skills. No one cares for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Anyone watching the probowl? Same shíte different year or is it any good?
    I'd rather see them go 100% in a game of flag football than watch what ever rubbish this is

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

First attempt at a 4th&15 on-side kick was a historic moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Blut2

I tried watching a quarter of the Pro-Bowl but it was just so bland. It was like watching a non-contact practice session. Could not imagine having bought tickets to it.

It was nice seeing the return of cheerleader atmosphere shots every so often though, they seem to have disappeared from regular season games these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Blut2 wrote: »
    I tried watching a quarter of the Pro-Bowl but it was just so bland. It was like watching a non-contact practice session. Could not imagine having bought tickets to it.

Aye I watched a couple of quarters, it was woeful, almost touch football at times. Other sports have these show games, like the Barbarians in rugby, but that is played at close to international intensity, why do the NFL not play this game properly? Lack of coverage if players get injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye I watched a couple of quarters, it was woeful, almost touch football at times. Other sports have these show games, like the Barbarians in rugby, but that is played at close to international intensity, why do the NFL not play this game properly? Lack of coverage if players get injured?

Unguaranteed contracts is the biggest reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Inquitus wrote: »

Football by its nature is incredibly difficult to play offense after only a few days of focused practice together and as a result the defense has to be completely neutered so they don't kill them.

You use rugby as your example but I'd argue the effort put in to nearly every game is really the outlier in sports than the rule. In rugby, even non-competition test matches are played at a completely different intensity to soccer friendlies or NFL preseason games.

The pro-bowl is looked at more like an all-star testimonial games in soccer so performances are going to match.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Football by its nature is incredibly difficult to play offense after only a few days of focused practice together and as a result the defense has to be completely neutered so they don't kill them.

You use rugby as your example but I'd argue the effort put in to nearly every game is really the outlier in sports than the rule. In rugby, even non-competition test matches are played at a completely different intensity to soccer friendlies or NFL preseason games.

The pro-bowl is looked at more like an all-star testimonial games in soccer so performances are going to match.

Top tier offense is very organised at the top level in rugby as well but there is a lot more room to just throw the damn ball around and see what happens. Which just isn't as much of an option in football.
    Barbarians are also less chosen based on pure ability than ability to be entertaining. Which I imagine weakens the defense and strengthens the attacking flair considerably (while NFL has entirely separate offense and defense and so you get the top defense players in there as well).
    So players like Lamar would be in on bad years as well while the likes of Cousins would be much less likely to get chosen.

Finally rugby players play far more matches in a season generally. Is American Football far more injury prone on a per game basis?

Barbarians are never meant to be truly competitive. They are close enough but the games are meant to be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Chargers formally announce they are parting ways with Philip Rivers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

And the Brady to Chargers hype can kick into the next level.

Wonder what Rivers will do, another almost spectacular career kinda guy. Really good seasons, but never quite hitting the heights.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭boccy23

Sad to see this. Whatever the talk is of Eli and his HOF candidacy, I think the thing which stood out most from last week was “Only a Giant”. Rivers is the same for me. Same as Ben.

Advertisement