Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

boccy23 wrote: »
    Sad to see this. Whatever the talk is of Eli and his HOF candidacy, I think the thing which stood out most from last week was “Only a Giant”. Rivers is the same for me. Same as Ben.

Pretty impressive how durable they both were actually. Since Rivers took over as starting QB he started every game. With the exception of this season Eli started every game bar one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Chargers formally announce they are parting ways with Philip Rivers

Where have they announced it?

Glazer said they've parted ways, but then later clarified that it was his opinion, not fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Madden have a commercial out with Eli and Peyton for the super bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

After the 13 Centenial inductees of which Bill Cowher and Jimmy Johnson were announced during the playoffs and includes Steve Sabol(finally) this time.
    This saturday the modern finalists will be cut from 15 to 5. The names below will need to get 80% of the votes to be elected.

Steve Atwater.
    Tony Boselli.
    Isaac Bruce.
    LeRoy Butler.
    Alan Faneca.
    Torry Holt.
    Steve Hutchinson.
    Edgerrin James.
    John Lynch.
    Sam Mills.
    Troy Polamalu.
    Richard Seymour.
    Zach Thomas.
    Reggie Wayne.
    Bryant Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Polamalu first ballot surely??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Polamalu first ballot surely??

Definitely. Dude is still showing up in shampoo ads five years after retiring, no way he is overlooked.

The fifteen finalists are down to ten per the official HOF twitter account.

Steve Atwater.
    Isaac Bruce.
    Steve Hutchinson.
    Edgerrin James.
    Troy Polamalu.

Five modern inductees for the 2020 Pro football hall of fame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,701 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How long before they're playing eight? I think it'll happen in the next three or four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

eagle eye wrote: »
    How long before they're playing eight? I think it'll happen in the next three or four years.

Thought that myself but khan had an interview on the jags website and talked about work being done on the stadium and was very pro Jacksonville so doubt they will ever leave reading that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

You’re probably right and it would be great for us all in terms of being able to attend games if your team has them away during the season.

I think it would limit their ability to attract free agents and retain players, it would be some pain in the hole for the guys on their roster. They’d need a base in both countries and would probably play their home games in blocks of four weeks at a time or something? That said, it would be a great home field advantage playing jet lagged opponents week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Blut2

4/4 is probably a more likely split than all 8 home games in London, a bit like the Packers in their Milwaukee/Green Bay split days.

That way the Jaguars would definitely be the "home" London team, and should in theory get a lot more UK supporters. And build awareness for the game in general in the UK/Europe.

But they'd still also retain Florida supporters. And could keep their main base of operations in Florida for backroom, training, preseason etc. Plus, probably most importantly, the players & coaches could stay living in the US. And it would give the league a bit more flexibility in arranging the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Blut2 wrote: »
    4/4 is probably a more likely split than all 8 home games in London, a bit like the Packers in their Milwaukee/Green Bay split days.

That way the Jaguars would definitely be the "home" London team, and should in theory get a lot more UK supporters. And build awareness for the game in general in the UK/Europe.

But they'd still also retain Florida supporters. And could keep their main base of operations in Florida for backroom, training, preseason etc. And it would give the league a bit more flexibility in arranging the games.

I’d imagine that playoff games would have to be in the States too. I doubt teams like the Chargers would be happy with traveling over to London for a wild card game for example, then back to Denver or Vegas or somewhere for a divisional round game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I’d imagine that playoff games would have to be in the States too. I doubt teams like the Chargers would be happy with traveling over to London for a wild card game for example, then back to Denver or Vegas or somewhere for a divisional round game.

It's the Jags, I don't think they anticipate playoff games being an issue for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

What would you be more likely to see over the coming years the jags in at least a 4/4 games in london and playoff home games there too or a superbowl in TH stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,701 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

markc91 wrote:
    What would you be more likely to see over the coming years the jags in at least a 4/4 games in london and playoff home games there too or a superbowl in TH stadium?
    The Superbowl is not leaving mainland USA and certainly not going to a ground not owned by an NFL owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

markc91 wrote: »

It is more likely that we'd have an All Ireland Final in New York than the Super Bowl outside the US.

Ignoring the huge time difference issues, until you experience being in the States during one you can't really understand how important it is to so many people in the country and how many see it as celebrating America (as ridiculous as that sounds).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's the Jags, I don't think they anticipate playoff games being an issue for the foreseeable future.

Absolute savagery

• Advertisement

All or nothing on amazon prime and it’s about the eagles and damn it.

Plus weather is a huge factor in where the Super Bowl is held. London at the start of February is a long way from Tampa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The Superbowl is not leaving mainland USA and certainly not going to a ground not owned by an NFL owner.
    Or a city giving away all tax

Watched the first episode of all or nothing the eagles and just imagine it desean Jackson had stayed fit. I'm not saying the eagles would have been playing last Sunday but it wouldn't have been as painful a regular season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Greg Olson signed with the Seahawks. A good fit for both (if he stays healthy), $5.5 gtd seems a bit steep looking at his production the last few year. A nice way to see out the last couple of years of his career.

Greg Olson signed with the Seahawks. A good fit for both (if he stays healthy), $5.5 gtd seems a bit steep looking at his production the last few year. A nice way to see out the last couple of years of his career.

It is only a one year deal so $5.5m guaranteed is pretty cheap, as he wont be getting cut.

It will be interesting to see if the rest of the money is all in incentives, if so it is a poor deal for Olsen from an economic perspective but with his recent history what he likely had to give up to play for a potential contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

VillaMad wrote: »
    The playoffs look set to be expanded
    Damn. There's enough teams already in the playoffs.

I don't hate the idea of expanding the playoffs. It would mean increasing the number of team going through from 37.5% to just under 44%. That lands in the middle of European sports, for soccer - 50% of teams make it through in Champions League, and rugby - 40% of teams make it to the knock-outs in the Champions Cup.

For me the biggest improvement would be that it would mean only one team has a bye week for each conference. I saw some on twitter highlighting how lower seeds have failed to win conferences but right now to do so generally means beating two more rested teams on the road. This change would remove the rest for one team and make the challenge slightly less difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just had a retrospective look. The extra wildcard games this year would have been:
    Steelers @ Chiefs
    Rams @ Packers

Was expecting worse

Advertisement