Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,771 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fair enough. What else would he make an official complaint about?
    The attempted attack and threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

eagle eye wrote: »
    The attempted attack and threats.

I would consider that an internal team issue. When you said make an official complaint I thought you meant a tampering grievance but as pointed out the Raiders know they were guilty of doing the same and will probably leave it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What a weird month for Vedvik. Looked solid for the Ravens so the Vikings give up a 5th for him. Looks terrible in the next 3 PS games and gets cut. Jets sign him off waivers last week and he was poor yesterday. Cut again.

Back to the Ravens to be rehabilitated and traded to a desperate team again next summer? :D

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1171500422520901638

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

And this trade also means that BB has now made a trade with every team in the NFL. The Jets were the last one.

Looks a pretty sweet deal for the Jets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I would suspect he might be less than happy with this. Takes a team friendly deal and then likely did the team a favour by agreeing to be released and sign back up post 53 man roster moves, only to be traded 2 weeks later.

He likely would have gotten a much bigger payday if he just signed with the Jets as a FA. Taking a team friendly deal is always such a risk in this sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I dunno how unhappy he’ll be, he’ll at least get some snaps which were going to be severely scarce now in NE

Playing trumps money when you are trying to get your career back on track

Hazys wrote: »
    I dunno how unhappy he’ll be, he’ll at least get some snaps which were going to be severely scarce now in NE

Playing trumps money when you are trying to get your career back on track

I'm sure from his perspective playing more, for a team he had a chance to choose, and for more money trumps what you're offering.

The Patriots treated him poorly but it is a business and what you risk when you make a deal with the devil :pac:

Every chance Thomas wanted the move after being designated inactive on Sunday. If you can't make the gameday squad and AB coming in next week then there's not much hope of you getting any playing time.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Every chance Thomas wanted the move after being designated inactive on Sunday. If you can't make the gameday squad and AB coming in next week then there's not much hope of you getting any playing time.

Then just cut the guy after he took a team friendly deal and did them a favour when they were trying to get down to 53. He could then choose where he wanted to go and likely get more money and/or longer term deal.

I get the business decision from the Patriots to get whatever they can for him, even as little as a 6th in 2 years time, but it doesn't make it any less of a crappy way to treat someone.

I'm fully aware that all teams do this sort of thing and it is why I rarely have any issue when players stand up for themselves against teams. Teams will throw them away or screw them over at nearly any opportunity they are provided.

• Advertisement

Lawsuit Accuses Antonio Brown of Rape: The Patriots receiver is accused of three incidents of sexual assault, in 2017 and 2018, against a woman who attended college with him

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/sports/football/antonio-brown-sexual-asssault-patriots.html

Patriots get their turn to deal with the circus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Lawsuit Accuses Antonio Brown of Rape: The Patriots receiver is accused of three incidents of sexual assault, in 2017 and 2018, against a woman who attended college with him

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/sports/football/antonio-brown-sexual-asssault-patriots.html

Patriots get their turn to deal with the circus
    Why is this a personal lawsuit and not a public prosecution?
    Not dismissing any of this, too sides and all that, but did police decide there wasnt enough evidence? (Now maybe she didn't even go to police, but that sounds a bit strange)

Timing is also very coincidental

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Christy42

Why is this a personal lawsuit and not a public prosecution?
    Not dismissing any of this, too sides and all that, but did police decide there wasnt enough evidence? (Now maybe she didn't even go to police, but that sounds a bit strange)

Timing is also very coincidental

Is there likely to be any evidence either way? Unless there are some dodgy looking messages how are you going to show it was not consensual?

I imagine it is the lack of evidence which is a nature of the crime.

Again not saying he is guilty, more that I could see why she went down this route if she is telling the truth.

Giving her name seems risky though. Truth or not there are wackjobs that will take personal offense on behalf of Brown and take action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

There is a strong argument to either rename this thread or start a whole new one "The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of Antonio Brown"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Christy42 wrote: »
    Is there likely to be any evidence either way? Unless there are some dodgy looking messages how are you going to show it was not consensual?

I imagine it is the lack of evidence which is a nature of the crime.

Again not saying he is guilty, more that I could see why she went down this route if she is telling the truth.

Giving her name seems risky though. Truth or not there are wackjobs that will take personal offense on behalf of Brown and take action.

There's definitely some of those anyway

hots wrote: »
    There's definitely some of those anyway

Those alleged emails are something, though I'm not quite sure what. If that's a flow of his thoughts, I'm not too surprised he gets in so much trouble.

Definitely questionable timing but for what it is worth she apparently passed a lie detector test.

Those alleged emails are something, though I'm not quite sure what. If that's a flow of his thoughts, I'm not too surprised he gets in so much trouble.

Definitely questionable timing but for what it is worth she apparently passed a lie detector test.

With those emails an insanity plea would be a solid defense...i think i got brain damage trying to understand them.

Does anybody with some legal knowledge know how you can sue for rape and its not a criminal case? Seems very odd.

With those emails an insanity plea would be a solid defense...i think i got brain damage trying to understand them.

Does anybody with some legal knowledge know how you can sue for rape and its not a criminal case? Seems very odd.

Those emails really highlight what a joke the educational requirements are for many college athletes.

A lower level of proof is required in civil cases, so more likely to get compensation for loss or a type of 'justice' in cases where there is a lack of evidence to meet the threshold to send a person to jail.

Something to note is that the accuser's main law firm is based in NY and has a very good reputation, which makes it unlikely they would take some completely frivolous case with no merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I’m sure Robert Kraft will be able to advise AB on this

Those emails really highlight what a joke the educational requirements are for many college athletes.

A lower level of proof is required in civil cases, so more likely to get compensation for loss or a type of 'justice' in cases where there is a lack of evidence to meet the threshold to send a person to jail.

Something to note is that the accuser's main law firm is based in NY and has a very good reputation, which makes it unlikely they would take some completely frivolous case with no merit.

I get what a civil case is if its not a criminal matter or post a criminal investigation but what I'm struggling with is how you can have a civil case without a preceding criminal case as its a criminal act. If there is no criminal case then there is 0 impartial evidence for a civil case to use and its a pure he said, she said scenario...unless i'm missing something? (unless they are hoping more victims come out because of this making it more than just he said, she said)

• Advertisement

I get what a civil case is if its not a criminal matter or post a criminal investigation but what I'm struggling with is how you can have a civil case without a preceding criminal case as its a criminal act. If there is no criminal case then there is 0 impartial evidence for a civil case to use and its a pure he said, she said scenario...unless i'm missing something? (unless they are hoping more victims come out because of this making it more than just he said, she said)

The allegations are acts with both has criminal and civil implications, you don't need to go through criminal to claim civil.

Why do you think there zero impartial evidence? Evidence doesn't become impartial because the police have looked at it and it has gone through a criminal case.

Prosecutors shouldn't take a case to court if they don't believe they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt, it doesn't mean a civil case can't find someone guilty within their standard of proof.

The allegations are acts with both has criminal and civil implications, you don't need to go through criminal to claim civil.

Why do you think there zero impartial evidence? Evidence doesn't become impartial because the police have looked at it and it has gone through a criminal case.

Prosecutors shouldn't take a case to court if they don't believe they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt, it doesn't mean a civil case can't find someone guilty within their standard of proof.

No legal expert here (which is pretty obvious from these posts) but i would have presumed any evidence especially for a physical act would have to be analysed by the police to its validity. The only evidence from what i can tell is the emails in which for what i could make out was damning for Brown related to sexual assault but not rape. Suing for rape without a proceeding criminal investigation seemed unusual to me. I was trying to google similar cases but it didn't seem to turn up much similar cases.

I did come across that Jared Hayne was sued for rape in a civil case after a criminal investigation and he settled with the victim for $100k. I didn't realize that was probably the reason he quit the NFL and he fcuked off back to Australia before his acts became publicized and well known: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/115440844/nrl-jarryd-hayne-settles-us-rape-case-with-payment-of-almost-a100000

No legal expert here (which is pretty obvious from these posts) but i would have presumed any evidence especially for a physical act would have to be analysed by the police to its validity. The only evidence from what i can tell is the emails in which for what i could make out was damning for Brown related to sexual assault but not rape. Suing for rape without a proceeding criminal investigation seemed unusual to me. I was trying to google similar cases but it didn't seem to turn up much similar cases.

I did come across that Jared Hayne was sued for rape in a civil case after a criminal investigation and he settled with the victim for $100k. I didn't realize that was probably the reason he quit the NFL and he fcuked off back to Australia before his acts became publicized and well known: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/115440844/nrl-jarryd-hayne-settles-us-rape-case-with-payment-of-almost-a100000

In cases where there is physical evidence of the crime, where someone goes to police/hospital straight after and gets examined, then that would be analyzed but even in those cases the defense can challenge the validity of it. No matter what the source, evidence is evidence and it rarely more or less 'impartial' in a criminal or civil case.

I'm also no legal expert but living in the States I've followed a few trials and it is quite different from Ireland. Going to the police for an investigation is the normal course and as far as I know at this point it is still not clear if she went to them. The police could also still open an investigation now or when more details come out.

Below is the initial complaint against Brown, which might not include all the evidence they have. If this doesn't get settled it will go to discovery and deposition, where more evidence could come up and AB will likely be forced to answer questions on it under oath. One things is certain, AB whether it was faking or real craziness, his actions over the last 2 years doesn't help him dealing with this case.

https://www.scribd.com/document/425324083/Antonio-Brown-Lawsuit#from_embed?campaign=SkimbitLtd&ad_group=126006X1587341Xcc330bcaf90b8c359c142d8576ccc328&keyword=660149026&source=hp_affiliate&medium=affiliate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Ì have been closely following the NFL for 6 years.

It is incredible how much I have learned about the US legal system in that time.

Hill, Kraft, Deflategate, Lawsuit on PI, Kaepernick, CTE and now Antonio Brown.

The variety is breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭boccy23

D9Male wrote: »

It is incredible how much I have learned about the US legal system in that time.

Were you not around for the last CBA? Christ, that one dragged on and on through lower courts, higher courts, different state courts.........

D9Male wrote: »

The crazy thing is how this doesn't happen so frequently in other sports leagues around the world. I presume its all just a by product of American society and its justice systems.

The crazy thing is how this doesn't happen so frequently in other sports leagues around the world. I presume its all just a by product of American society and its justice systems.

Two of my recent favourites were the Saints fans that went all the way up to the Louisiana Supreme court alleging fraud against the NFL for the officiating mistake last year and the posturing that Brady was going to the US Supreme court for deflategate. Can't imagine any Irish fan or player taking that route in either circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) is used in many other sports, which avoids the need for courts (although it is a legal system), such as Chelsea going to CAS to get their ban overturned/reduced.

I’m sure Robert Kraft will be able to advise AB on this
    On what? Sexual assault charges? I think you need to be more specific.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Advertisement