Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Aww yeah, got my leave for tomorrow confirmed so can watch the games and not be a zombie tomorrow. Now just clock watching for the next 2.5 hours til I'm outta here. Lets go Chiefs!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Any place in Dublin open for the two championship games?

I'd say the Camden or Woolshed are decent options. Living room normally has the games on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd say the Camden or Woolshed are decent options. Living room normally has the games on too.

Just a heads up for the Camden. They turned all the screens off last Saturday before the games despite my mates having booked a table for the match. They had to leave.

I’ve seen other reviews of the place saying that people had tables booked for the SB and then the pub got onto them saying that they would need to pay a deposit and have a minimum spend.

Portobello is a good spot for it on the canal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Woolshed and squareball are my favourite spots

Rang the woodshed this morning and they said you could just rock up :)

I've a feeling they won't be showing the second game. But I suppose it will be a good atmosphere for the first one at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

For those that haven't seen/heard about it yet, the Aaron Hernandez documentary on Netflix is well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

For those that haven't seen/heard about it yet, the Aaron Hernandez documentary on Netflix is well worth a watch.

Is it ? Is it as dark as the podcast about it ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is it ? Is it as dark as the podcast about it ?

Never listened to the podcast, but it's about a person who murdered 1 person and probably 2 more so of course it's dark.
    Tbh I found the Boston Globe's spotlight on him better but this is still quite good. Very interesting to hear him speak and get a feel for just how immature he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hadn't seen the podcast but the Netflix is very good. Very complex story. Lots of contributory factors to the crime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It will be interesting in the future when cte is better and widely understood how the likes of hernandez and Chris benoit the wrestler will be viewed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

It will be interesting in the future when cte is better and widely understood how the likes of hernandez and Chris benoit the wrestler will be viewed

Hernandez was a bogey anyway, think Antonio Brown has it. Chris Henry of Cincinnati had it when he died at 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

We shouldn't go blaming every guy's outburst on CTE. Many times there are other things in their backgrounds, upbringing and other mental health issues as two examples, that play into things. Some people just do terrible things and we shouldnt be making excuses for them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Christy42

Foxtrol wrote: »
    We shouldn't go blaming every guy's outburst on CTE. Many times there are other things in their backgrounds, upbringing and other mental health issues as two examples, that play into things. Some people just do terrible things and we shouldnt be making excuses for them

As long as they have CTE you won't be able to pin point other factors because no matter what else happened to them it could just be the CTE. I mean how are you going to talk about other mental health issues for someone with CTE? You will never be able to separate it out.

Christy42 wrote: »
    As long as they have CTE you won't be able to pin point other factors because no matter what else happened to them it could just be the CTE. I mean how are you going to talk about other mental health issues for someone with CTE? You will never be able to separate it out.

The opposite is just as true though. From all indications AB and Hernandez were never choir boys that suddenly changed so how are you going to point to CTE?

There are plenty of people out there that do what both of them did or even worse who don't have CTE and likely thousands of former players that have CTE and don't act that way.

I agree, as of now you can't separate it out so that is why I believe fans shouldn't be calling CTE every time a player does something bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Didn't they say hernandez brain was like an 80 year old alzcheimers patient. I'm not saying he was an angel but isn't part of cte extreme mood swings. You're a guy who's violent, with guns, get you some cte suddenly that thing that says nah don't you got 40 million comin to you could be quietened. I'm not excusing what he did, but until we really understand what cte does to a person we cannot separate them fully

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Didn't they say hernandez brain was like an 80 year old alzcheimers patient. I'm not saying he was an angel but isn't part of cte extreme mood swings. You're a guy who's violent, with guns, get you some cte suddenly that thing that says nah don't you got 40 million comin to you could be quietened. I'm not excusing what he did, but until we really understand what cte does to a person we cannot separate them fully

Think that was Chris Benoit (WWE wrestler) with that finding, Hernandez was very bad aswell but can't Remember if they gave an equivalent

I agree you can't separate them fully but that is a lot more nuanced then most posts that bring up CTE. I've no issue with people saying CTE might be a factor but what you normally get is basically flat out blaming CTE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

They said that Hernandez CTE was the worst ever seen in a person so young. It said the amount of damage would have had to have been caused over 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Watch the documentry. There's a big number of factors. CTE, anger management, death of a father, abuse as a child, sexuality, associates. There's a lot of blame to go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Watch the documentry. There's a big number of factors. CTE, anger management, death of a father, abuse as a child, sexuality, associates. There's a lot of blame to go around.

Straight up psychopath could also be a factor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Shedite27 wrote:

I've just started it, and am a bit uncomfortable with the amount of excuses that seem to being made for him.... I'll reserve judgment till the end, but other than cte, everything you mentioned is experienced by a lot of people, and they don't do what he did.

I also like the focus they have given to Odin Lloyd in the first couple of episodes, and glad he can be remembered as someone other than "the guy Aaron Hernandez murdered". The semi pro football bit and interview with team mates was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Absolutely.

I'm no clinical expert but he seemed far more of a sociopath than psychopath.

Again, in my unqualified opinion, the domestic violence, child abuse plus child sexual abuse he witnessed and suffered were the biggest contributing factors to what he became. With a father like he had he never stood a chance. It was mentioned in the documentary that his father repeatedly smashed his mother's head against the kitchen sink until she became unconscious. I can only imagine what witnessing things like that as a child would do to you.
    Aside from the professional sports career, his life was one big tragedy. Even with all the evil he committed, I can't help but feel a certain degree of sympathy for what he went through as a child.

Domestic violence is an absolutely huge issue, including in Ireland. It's so destructive and yet so hard to prevent. I read a stat a few days ago that domestic violence in Ireland has caused more homicides in the past number of years than all the gangland violence combined, yet it doesn't, and probably will never, get the attention it deserves. It's an issue that affects every social class equally, and it's absolutely tragic for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Watched the documentary myself, it's a very interesting story. I knew a good bit of it before hand, so wasn't as shocked as I would have been had I been be to it.

I didn't like how the documentary was put together tbh.
    All the jumping around, and touching on something and then moving on without going any further on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I agree, as of now you can't separate it out so that is why I believe fans shouldn't be calling CTE every time a player does something bad

Well one thing that has been common across all cases of CTE examined so far both in active cases and post-humous analysis is that aside from depression, rage and impulse control can become major issues for sufferers.

It doesn't explain all of what's going on with guys like AB, but for the like of an Aaron Hernandez you can see how the condition would significantly increase his likelihood of ending up where he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sometimes I forget the level of suffering of Browns fans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

So Eli is hanging it up after 16 years, here come the endless debates as to whether he's a HOF calibre candidate or not....

For me he isn't, simply because I think a HOF player either needs to be a league leader in career stats or a person who has spent a career being at the top of the position he's played.
    Eli has been neither of these things at any stage over the past 16 years.
    Aside from winning two superbowls, which were really thanks to the ridiculous D-line, he's been nothing but middle of the pack for his career. 117-117 record, says everything you need to know about him really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

BizzyC wrote: »
    So Eli is hanging it up after 16 years, here come the endless debates as to whether he's a HOF calibre candidate or not....

For me he isn't, simply because I think a HOF player either needs to be a league leader in career stats or a person who has spent a career being at the top of the position he's played.
    Eli has been neither of these things at any stage over the past 16 years.
    Aside from winning two superbowls, which were really thanks to the ridiculous D-line, he's been nothing but middle of the pack for his career. 117-117 record, says everything you need to know about him really.

2xSuperbowl Champ
    2xSuperbowl MVP
    57,023 Passing Yds
    366 TD passes

He’ll make it into Canton.

Edit: His passing yards currently good enough for 7th All Time in NFL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

BizzyC wrote: »
    Part of me thinks he should be in there, just for those Super Bowls wins alone (as a Pats fan it stands out even more).
    But 117-117 record, was poor for a number of seasons, failures to reach playoffs..... I don't think he merits it (but I'd only put the best of the best in there).
    Passing stats? Rivers has better figures, and I don't think he should get in.

Eli checks some boxes to merit HOF, but checks a number that doesn't merit it.
    That it has to be debated, is another box checked that he doesn't merit inclusion.

He'll make it in though (politically his last name will be a factor), but may take some time.

Advertisement