Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nazi memorabilia for sale in Dublin. Appropriate?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

The fact that Mao is a restaurant that specializes in Asian foods made me laugh so hard. It's like opening one that specializes in German food and calling it Adolph's!

I give that 7 Marx out of 10 :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Nodin wrote: »
    You do realise that the former and the latter are not nessecarily related?

It had occurred to me yes.
    Nonetheless I tend to avoid those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

2011 wrote: »
    TBH and I am not a particular fan of the third reich.

The third Reich is always difficult but you're right, I much prefer the first two myself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Whosthis wrote: »
    The third Reich is always difficult but you're right, I much prefer the first two myself.

Thanks, you have the honour of being the second person to agree with me on this thread :D

I give that 7 Marx out of 10 :pac:

Get out, Reich now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

OP were you Christmas shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You are not doing sex right if someone is not dressed in an SS uniform.

http://orig14.deviantart.net/ff93/f/2012/237/7/5/my_little_nazi_by_lahmattea-d5cdftg.jpg

OP were you Christmas shopping?

Yes.

I once met a girl whose father was actually a Nazi soldier. This was a few years back, so I'm sure he's dead by now, but I would have absolutely loved to have talked to him about it. You often hear stories from the Allies, but never from the other side as such, unless they're made out to be evil and villains. It would have been really interesting to actually hear what he had to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Obviously with all this merchandise for sale it must this mean Father Seamus Fitzpatrick has died which is tough to learn of at this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Who tf cares. I doubt the owner is a neo nazi so just leave it, think of it as an artefact rather than anything else. The holocaust happened, should we just pretend it didnt by discarding precious materials such as the ones on sale? Maybe theyre not important enough for museums, and what then ? is it better they just sit in archive boxes forever?
    I could see a problem with him producing new first hand nazi symbols and imagery, I honestly wouldnt give a **** about that either but yeah..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

The fact that Mao is a restaurant that specializes in Asian foods made me laugh so hard. It's like opening one that specializes in German food and calling it Adolf's!

yeah, the mao place in town could be seen as a major affront to the countless millions of mao victims…funny how people like mao, stalin and others are still revered by so many these days…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You are not doing sex right if someone is not dressed in an SS uniform.

Can't beat a bit of Hugo Boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

You can but union jacks and other british memorabilia openly,not much difference imo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I'd say it's fine. Lightening never strikes twice and do we even have many Jews in Ireland?

There was an article about a Kilkenny man who's daughter Bought him a birthday cake with the swastika on it. He simply admired the fashions, not the ideology!!

Maybe that was Michael McGrath

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It had occurred to me yes.
    Nonetheless I tend to avoid those people.

Might I ask why? (regarding those who collect Nazi memorbillia?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

You can but union jacks and other british memorabilia openly,not much difference imo

True also no one seems to have a problem with a Crucifix either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The fact that Mao is a restaurant that specializes in Asian foods made me laugh so hard. It's like opening one that specializes in German food and calling it Adolf's!

The idea of any sort of food outlet being called after someone who was responsible for at least two artificial famines, one of which was probably the worst in recorded history, is beyond parody.

I wonder are the people who own the place aware of any of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

I once met a girl whose father was actually a Nazi soldier. This was a few years back, so I'm sure he's dead by now, but I would have absolutely loved to have talked to him about it. You often hear stories from the Allies, but never from the other side as such, unless they're made out to be evil and villains. It would have been really interesting to actually hear what he had to say.

i have known many german ww2 soldiers, including a number of relatives, and believe me, they were human beings like all others…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

See you and raise you
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Ilsa_she_wolf_of_ss_poster_02.jpg
    which is an actual movie, which I may have seen.....

http://i.imgur.com/I0t0I.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

True story.

My Dad’s, Dad fought in WW1 And his battalion were involved in the famous Christmas truce of 1914.

The Germans and the allies sang Christmas Carols and hymns together and swapped various items.

My Dad said Granddad brought back some German Souvenirs but had to sell them later as they went through tough times.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

During WW2 My Dad was imprisoned in the Curragh Camp for being a Republican.

There were three sections in the camp at the time: one each for the IRA, Allied airmen and German mariners and airmen.

At Christmas Time all three sections Sang Christmas Carols and hymns together to remember those of 1914 truce

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curragh_Camp

Ordinary people caught up in the inhumanity of war

"The guns fell silent when the night the angels sang"

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Adolf's brother worked in Dublin for a while, maybe it's some of his gear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

There's a decent enough movie about the 1914 truce, not your typical Christmas movie. Joyeux Noel
    http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt0424205/

Might I ask why? (regarding those who collect Nazi memorbillia?)

If you read my post I say that I "tend to avoid people that collect Nazi memorabilia and have swastikas tattooed on them".
    This is because they are generally rather vile creatures, full of hate with extremist views that do not align with my own views.

As it happens I went to school with one of these individuals. I always found it amusing how upset he was when his brother announced that he was gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

There's a second hand shop just off Capel Street, along Mary's Abbey, that has some Nazi daggers in the window. I'd say they're copies though as stuff like that sells for big bucks normally.

There's a second hand shop just off Capel Street, along Mary's Abbey, that has some Nazi daggers in the window. I'd say they're copies though as stuff like that sells for big bucks normally.

More than likely copies. The SS honour dagger certainly has a copy floating about, as does the ceremonial Luftwaffe dagger.

Do they have this style handle?
    http://wwwancientarmsbiz.pixafyhosting.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/e/german_wood_brown_2.jpg

If you read my post I say that I "tend to avoid people that collect Nazi memorabilia and have swastikas tattooed on them".
    This is because they tend to be rather vile creatures that extremist views that do not align with my own views.

That's perfectly fair enough, but I'm just curious as to your objection to the sale of Nazi memorbillia - what's the basis for this?

That's perfectly fair enough, but I'm just curious as to your objection to the sale of Nazi memorbillia - what's the basis for this?

Read this post and it should answer your question on my views and reasoning. As explained in this post I was more surprised than shocked.

As it happens I have quite a few connections with Germany and am particularly fond of the country and people. I lived and worked in Germany for in the nineties, I attended a German primary school in Dublin (and spoke passable German at time) and one of my friends was a senior officer in the German army (about 20 years ago).

• Advertisement

Read this post and it should answer your question on my views and reasoning. As explained in this post I was more surprised than shocked.

As it happens I have quite a few connections with Germany and am particularly fond of the country and people. I lived and worked in Germany for in the nineties, I attended a German primary school in Dublin (and spoke passable German at time) and one of my friends was a senior officer in the German army (about 20 years ago).

Fair enough. I'd be surprised to see the genuine article on sale here myself in an average place, though I've objection to it, having a small collection myself.

Advertisement