Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nazi memorabilia for sale in Dublin. Appropriate?

Options
  • 24-12-2015 3:04pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I went to a second hand shop in Dublin yesterday, it mainly sells furniture. I was just browsing and unexpectedly found some WW2 bits and bobs of that I found interesting.

While rummaging I found some authentic looking German iron crosses, swastika type medals and badges and such like. There were also some old post cards of Adolf Hitler. Also included was some original (or so the notice on it claimed) signed doodles and notes by the Führer himself with a price tag on it of over €1,250. There were also a number of medals, badges and such like from the allied forces.

I have no objection to seeing this type of thing in a museum but I would be quite shocked to see it in someones home. In fact I find it quite offensive and I was surprised to see it for sale in a shop such as this.

According to this link:
    You won’t find Nazi regalia on eBay and the heavy hitters of the UK auction world, Sotheby’s, Christies, and Bonhams, won’t handle it either.

I am reluctant to post the name of the shop, but it is well know for furniture and is not far from the city centre.

Is it just me or is selling Nazi memorabilia such as this entirely inappropriate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

grow up, they're historical artifacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

what shop was it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

some people dig the imagery but not the beliefs behind it, like lemmy from motorhead,he has an apartment full of the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

s8n wrote: »
    what shop was it ?

Reichsmarkland.

• Site Banned Posts: 137 ✭✭MaryAntoinette

Did you ring Joe op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

what shop was it ?

Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

what shop was it ?

Accessorize!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Did you ring Joe op?

Not yet, but I am seriously considering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I heard that taxi app called hail is Nazi owned ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

If I wasn't so full from biscuits and ham I'd be morally outraged. Bump the thread in the new year and ill act all pc and upset about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

2011 wrote: »
    Not yet, but I am seriously considering it.

Dont, it will just increase demand for these items and send the price up.

But as said above, they are just historical artefacts. Not too outrageous that they are on sale in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chillybilly

He said wearing his Che Guevara shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Wonder are had they connections to

http://www.olddublintown.com/swastika-laundry.html

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Menas wrote: »
    Not too outrageous that they are on sale in dublin.

Really? I had never seen items like this for sale before, it is not as if I went looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Its history FFS. There's loads of people who are WW2 collectors who are not Nazi sympathisers. ( In fairness there are also loads of white collar Nazis around also)

Menas wrote: »
    Dont, it will just increase demand for these items and send the price up.

But as said above, they are just historical artefacts. Not too outrageous that they are on sale in dublin.

I was joking :D

Its history FFS. There's loads of people who are WW2 collectors who are not Nazi sympathisers. ( In fairness there are also loads of white collar Nazis around also)

Totally normal, sure.
    I saw it on Father Ted :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

realies wrote: »
    I heard that taxi app called hail is Nazi owned ?

It's actually co-owned by an Irishman and a German. Hail'O

Did you ring Joe op?

“Joe Duffy doesn't do what Joe Duffy does for Joe Duffy,

Joe Duffy does what Joe Duffy does because Joe Duffy IS Joe Duffy”

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

I went to a second hand shop in Dublin yesterday, it mainly sells furniture. I was just browsing and unexpectedly found some WW2 bits and bobs of that I found interesting.

While rummaging I found some authentic looking German iron crosses, swastika type medals and badges and such like. There were also some old post cards of Adolf Hitler. Also included was some original (or so the notice on it claimed) signed doodles and notes by the Führer himself with a price tag on it of over €1,250. There were also a number of medals, badges and such like from the allied forces.

I have no objection to seeing this type of thing in a museum but I would be quite shocked to see it in someones home. In fact I find it quite offensive and I was surprised to see it for sale in a shop such as this.

According to this link:

I am reluctant to post the name of the shop, but it is well know for furniture and is not far from the city centre.

Is it just me or is selling Nazi memorabilia such as this entirely inappropriate?

Hitler's half brother Alois was working as a waiter in the Shelbourne when met Bridget Dowling at the Dublin Horse Show and married her in London the following year. Their son Patrick William Hitler was born in 1911. She claims that Adolf Hitler briefly stayed with them in England to avoid conscription into the Austrian Army. Patrick served in the US Army during WW2 and settled with his mother in US with his mother. Patrick Hitler had four sons in the America. Bridget died in 1967 and her son Patrick died in 1987. Three of Patrick's sons are still alive and well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

You found an item with a signature with a price tag of over1k , I dint think you'd find an item with a value of 1k while "rummaging " , you're full of ****e I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'd say it's fine. Lightening never strikes twice and do we even have many Jews in Ireland?

There was an article about a Kilkenny man who's daughter Bought him a birthday cake with the swastika on it. He simply admired the fashions, not the ideology!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

"And would you have anything at all from the Allied side, Father?"

"No no, that wouldn't interest me at all at all"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

In fact I find it quite offensive and I was surprised to see it for sale in a shop such as this

You find it offensive and inappropriate. Well so bloody what? "I find it quite offensive" has become one of the most sanctimonious and obnoxious combinations of words in language today.

Oops69 wrote: »
    You found an item with a signature with a price tag of over1k , I dint think you'd find an item with a value of 1k while "rummaging " , you're full of ****e I think .

It is on display in a glass cabinet at the till along with lots of similar stuff.
    I was actually looking for furniture and got sidetracked.
    Are you suggesting that I am making this up?
    If so why? Is this simply not credible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I was born in USSR and that country screwed me and millions of other people over. I still have a collection of Soviet coins, so it's perfectly fine owning memorabilia from repressive regimes.

I think I bought a Book from there once about Nazi Homosexuals.

Think it was called "Mien Camp"

In the 80s I had one if them old green German parkas with the flag of West Germany and the name of some German guy on the label.

Got into trouble with the fashion police loads of times. In fairness, there was no defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It is on display in a glass cabinet at the till along with lots of similar stuff.
    I was actually looking for furniture and got sidetracked.
    Are you suggesting that I am making this up?
    If so why? Is this simply not credible?

Glass cabinet just inside the door on the left hand side?

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Glass cabinet just inside the door on the left hand side?

Yes.

Advertisement