Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nazi memorabilia for sale in Dublin. Appropriate?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

2011 wrote: »
    Sure a bit of censorship never hurt anyone :rolleyes:

Clearly you believe that, so why the eye roll?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

• Site Banned Posts: 137 ✭✭MaryAntoinette

Where is Robbie to the rescue of op.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

sure would someone not think of the childreren ?? should have fished for more likes on facebook op....

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mid fifties

I went to a second hand shop in Dublin yesterday, it mainly sells furniture. I was just browsing and unexpectedly found some WW2 bits and bobs of that I found interesting.

While rummaging I found some authentic looking German iron crosses, swastika type medals and badges and such like. There were also some old post cards of Adolf Hitler. Also included was some original (or so the notice on it claimed) signed doodles and notes by the Führer himself with a price tag on it of over €1,250. There were also a number of medals, badges and such like from the allied forces.

I have no objection to seeing this type of thing in a museum but I would be quite shocked to see it in someones home. In fact I find it quite offensive and I was surprised to see it for sale in a shop such as this.

According to this link:

I am reluctant to post the name of the shop, but it is well know for furniture and is not far from the city centre.

Is it just me or is selling Nazi memorabilia such as this entirely inappropriate?

Items like mention whether genuine or not represents part of history and because there's no law against selling them then members of the public has the right to buy them i mean lets just say a law is bought in that says items like mention can't be sold to the public, then whats next along the way put a ban on the public going to see WW2 movies in the cinema, history tell us Hitler bought in a law like that where he try to bully his ideas by destroying and killing the education of history that he didn't like, he fail but does that mean the future has to bury his part in history to museums only, then if thats the case then what freedom of understanding of history does education have in their search for peace.

Merry Christmas all, hiccup :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A friend of mine has an antique and curio shop in Powerscourt in Dublin. He's French and picks up stuff from markets in France.

I noticed an Iron Cross with swastika and asked him about them and the buyers.

He said the people that buy it are regular general war memorabilia collectors. There's some collectors that are more enthusiastic on certain countries or eras. But the Nazi memorabilia collectors representation wasn't any higher (or scarier) than other specific collector.

He put this down to collectors' habits. There's was too many items produced by the nazis with the swastika logo.
    For example: An Iron Cross without the swastika generally goes for more money than one with a swastika. The nazis gave them out like confetti. They're too common.

I like people who have an interest in collecting relatively recent historical items. They're like private curators of stuff that had significance. Important stuff in safe hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

humberklog wrote: »

He put this down to collectors' habits. There's was too many items produced by the nazis with the swastika logo.
    For example: An Iron Cross without the swastika generally goes for more money than one with a swastika. The nazis gave them out like confetti. They're too common.

Genuine Iron Crosses with swastikas are very, very rare and worth 100's more than one without.

German medals awarded under the Nazi regime were seized by the allies at the end of WW2 as part of the de-nazification process and it was 1957 IIRC before the West German government agreed to reissue new medals (in the style of WW1 medals) to those that were awarded them in WW2.

dubscottie wrote: »
    Genuine Iron Crosses with swastikas are very, very rare and worth 100's more than one without.

German medals awarded under the Nazi regime were seized by the allies at the end of WW2 as part of the de-nazification process and it was 1957 IIRC before the West German government agreed to reissue new medals (in the style of WW1 medals) to those that were awarded them in WW2.

The conversation I had was about 4 year ago and he was selling one with swastika for 175. I don't know this area at all so I don't know if this is a lot or a little to pay for such an item.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

humberklog wrote: »
    There's some collectors that are more enthusiastic on certain countries or eras. But the Nazi memorabilia collectors representation wasn't any higher (or scarier) than other specific collector.

Pretty sure he's completely wrong there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

According to Wikipedia over four million of various classes were handed out, including two to Jewish officers of the Finnish army who refused to accept them.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Pretty sure he's completely wrong there.

He was only talking about in his own experience. His shop isn't exclusively war things. It only makes up an occasional and small selection in his small shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

UVF promo material is sold outside many UK soccer stadiums,

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

The fact that Mao is a restaurant that specializes in Asian foods made me laugh so hard. It's like opening one that specializes in German food and calling it Adolf's!

I'd call it Goebbels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I wish I were a Nazi. Then I'd get things done.

If only I had their 'get up and go'...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Oh I know that. They just offended our eyes, not our sensitivities.

What were we thinking. They were miserable and grim looking things.
    I find the swastika aesthetically pleasing. Obviously, I know it's history (Nazism being only a late addition to its 'popularity'), but artistically and even geometrically, it's alright (to me, at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hmmm I don't think the fact that some Irish people were too friendly with Nazi party members is indicative of our tolerance for the Nazi's ideals. Some seem to be suggesting this but it's not the case.

The following relates to English royals and public figure's fondness for the nazi's.

Following the First World War, the royal family changed its name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor to distract attention from its German heritage.

Family members of Prince Philip, who is from the house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg, were unabashed supporters of Hitler and the Nazis.

Brother-in-law, Prince Christoph of Hesse, was a member of the SS. He piloted fighters that attacked allied troops in Italy.

Several weeks before Germany invaded Poland King George VI and his wife, the late Queen Mother, sent Hitler a birthday greeting.

“I never thought Hitler was such a bad chap,” said George’s brother, the former King Edward VIII, who became the Duke of Windsor after abdicating in 1936. Edward made this remark in 1970 when it was widely known that Hitler and the Nazis had directly and indirectly killed more than 40 million civilians and soldiers.

The Nazis planned to install the Duke as leader after a successful conquest of Britain. The former head of British naval intelligence said Hitler “would soon be in this country, but that there was no reason to worry about it because he would bring the Duke of Windsor over as king.”

Other royals were also connected to the Nazis. Baron Gunther von Reibnitz, the father of Princess Michael of Kent, was a party member and an honorary member of the SS. The brother of Princess Alice was a Nazi who claimed Hitler had done a “wonderful job.” Charles Edward was placed under house arrest after the war for his Nazi sympathies. He was sentenced by a denazification court, heavily fined and almost bankrupted.

Much of the British gentry also held a fondness for Hitler and the Nazis. Lord Halifax was infatuated with Hitler and Sir Oswald Mosely served as the leader of the British Black Shirts.

Montagu Norman, 1st Baron Norman, the Governor of the Bank of England from 1920 to 1944, was a close friend of the German Central Bank President Hjalmar Schacht. Schacht was an ardent supporter of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party and served in the Nazi government as President of the Reichsbank and Minister of Economics. Norman played a key role in transferring Czechoslovakian gold to the Nazis in March 1939

In other words guys I think it's a bit ridiculous to bring up the Ireland signing of the books of condolence again and again. We've historically been nicer to the Jewish people than most European countries have been.

In Italy you can openly buy mass produced Mussolini stuff without any problems..

They still worship him. Don't hear anyone giving out about that..

steddyeddy wrote: »

The following relates to English royals and public figure's fondness for the nazi's.

British you mean.. That's why Hess flew to Scotland..

British you mean.. That's why Hess flew to Scotland..

He flew to scotland because he was radio rental. Which is the only reason you'd visit the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Plenty of British army propaganda goes on inside British football stadiums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

In Italy you can openly buy mass produced Mussolini stuff without any problems..

They still worship him. Don't hear anyone giving out about that..

He was an authoritarian dictator but not a convinced racial supremicist

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He was an authoritarian dictator but not a convinced racial supremicism.
    Exactly. Mussolini was most certainly a ground zero fascist but was very much more relaxed about it, at least compared to the German version. His biographer(and mistress) was Jewish. It was only later on under major pressure from Hitler the antisemetic shíte came along. The Italians didn't have any issue with modern art either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Well go ahead and name a few so, you said many so it should be a decent list I'm looking forward to perusing it.

Don't fcuking let me down mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

His actions in invading Abyssinia would make me disagree with that.

As much a supremacist as the likes of that toerag Churchill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....tbh, racial supremacism (you're browner than me so you're inferior) was the norm. Adolf just added insane anti-Semitism, took it to the next level and did it in Europe.

No offence but how can an a man of Italian-Moorish descent be in favor of white supremacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

It is on display in a glass cabinet at the till along with lots of similar stuff.
    I was actually looking for furniture and got sidetracked.
    Are you suggesting that I am making this up?
    If so why? Is this simply not credible?

This is exactly the same retail model used by Aldi and Lidl, you go in looking for a pound of butter and a jar of coffee, and you come out with a Tiger tank and the battle standard of the SS Standartgruppen Das Reich, and when you get home, you've forgotten the fcukin' butter!

Joe prim wrote: »
    This is exactly the same retail model used by Aldi and Lidl, you go in looking for a pound of butter and a jar of coffee, and you come out with a Tiger tank and the battle standard of the SS Standartgruppen Das Reich, and when you get home, you've forgotten the fcukin' butter!

butter will only make you fat though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Zebra3 wrote: »
    His actions in invading Abyssinia would make me disagree with that.

As much a supremacist as the likes of that toerag Churchill.

Toerag churchill?

Advertisement