Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nazi memorabilia for sale in Dublin. Appropriate?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Nodin wrote: »
    Fair enough. I'd be surprised to see the genuine article on sale here myself in an average place, though I've objection to it, having a small collection myself.

I have no idea as to the veracity of the claim that this is authentic (as per my opening post).
    If you want I will PM you the name of the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Fair enough. I'd be surprised to see the genuine article on sale here myself in an average place, though I've objection to it, having a small collection myself.

Remind me again about Ireland and the old Nazis connection. I'm not surprised at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Jawgap wrote: »
    Adolf's brother worked in Dublin for a while, maybe it's some of his gear ;)

Years before the Munich Uprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

Sure wasn't Ireland one of the first countries to sign the book of condolences for Hitler after he died. Why would it offend you anyway OP, it's history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Years before the Munich Uprising.

It was a post in jest :rolleyes:

There's a place in Carlingford carries a lot of militaria including a lot of Heer, Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe items. He also carries some Nazi party items.

It's interesting to pick over what he has. The only reason I've never bought anything from him is because he's yet to stock anything that would fit with my collection.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

mickoc wrote: »
    Sure wasn't Ireland one of the first countries to sign the book of condolences for Hitler after he died. Why would it offend you anyway OP, it's history.

oh ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

The fact that Mao is a restaurant that specializes in Asian foods made me laugh so hard. It's like opening one that specializes in German food and calling it Adolf's!

Yeah, didn't something like 30 million people die of starvation due to Mao's policies?

Most Irish people know jack **** about history :rolleyes:

The fact that Mao is a restaurant that specializes in Asian foods made me laugh so hard. It's like opening one that specializes in German food and calling it Adolf's!
    Yeah, didn't something like 30 million people die of starvation due to Mao's policies?

Most Irish people know jack **** about history :rolleyes:

Great restaurant.......it really shook things up when it arrived.......you could almost say......

.......it was revolutionary........

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

mickoc wrote: »

Yeah, sure Hitler was a great lad.
    He was just a little misunderstood which resulted in some bad press....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

That's perfectly fair enough, but I'm just curious as to your objection to the sale of Nazi memorbillia - what's the basis for this?

The OP doesn't like repressive regimes - well except for the censorship bit. That ok apparently....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

oh ffs

It's not true ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Remind me again about Ireland and the old Nazis connection. I'm not surprised at all.

Being after the war I doubt they would have been carrying round a vast collection from the "good old days".

The OP doesn't like repressive regimes - well except for the censorship bit. That ok apparently....

Sure a bit of censorship never hurt anyone :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

2011 wrote: »
    Sure a bit of censorship never hurt anyone :rolleyes:

....and if it did, sure they kept quiet about it, for some reason.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,024 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Nazi memorabilia for sale in Dublin. Appropriate?

Of course./thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

It's not true ?

Ja das ist richt.

Dev haß einen booch signen.

seriously though its the most desperate barrel scraping attempt at inference in historical context.

belongs in the sun with rumors of refueling uboats.

Really? I had never seen items like this for sale before, it is not as if I went looking for them.

How old are you?

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have it written down somewhere alright, but god knows where. :s I'm 99% positive it was from the big RAF Tangmere raid.

If it's the 16th August raid, then it's more than likely from StG 2, who dispatched 50 Stukas to attack the airfield.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh and ebay does sell that stuff. I got two of the above watches from the site. Their nazi militaria section is enormous. What they don't allow is anything with the swastika on it. At least in photographs of the item being sold. Amazon will sell any amount of books on the period. Their "morality" is wafer thin.
    ebay and Amazon might sell Nazi kit.

Facebook insists on people using real names, but is OK with terrorists spreading propaganda and people traffickers using it's services. Remember all the people killed in nasty ways because it attracted publicity in the middle east and all those migrants who drowned ? Facebook's real name policy stopped that didn't it ?

Tony EH wrote: »
    How old are you?

Tell me why my age is relevant and I might answer that question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kylith wrote: »
    Rubbish. The items are not evil. Things can't be evil.

Calculon: [voice-over] ...working in an automotive research lab. I was working on Project Satan ... [He puts a door onto the side of a red car.] ... a savage, intelligent military vehicle built from the most evil parts of the most evil cars in all the world. The steering wheel from Hitler's staff car, the left-turn signal from Charles Manson's VW, the windshield wipers from that car that played Knight Rider.

Fry: Knight Rider wasn't evil.

Calculon: His windshield wipers were. It didn't come up much in the show though. Anyway...

Tell me why my age is relevant and I might answer that question.

Because I find that the more mature people get, the less "offended" they get by inanimate objects.

With everything that goes on in our would at the moment, wondering if whether selling WWII memorabilia is appropriate or not has to be way, way down on one's list and with a bit of age, you'll realise this.

As to the question, it's entirely appropriate to collectors of WWII items, who you'll find, if you wish to find out more about it, tend to collect items from all of the major combatants of the conflict and often will seek out rarer items from smaller countries too.

If you're questioning why selling items from the Third Reich is "appropriate" or not, then you must apply that to all historical items. Is it "appropriate" to sell Imperial Roman items, considering the fact that their armies destroyed far more than the nazis ever could.

Don't let the Hakenkreuz (swastika) be such a touchstone. The nazis are certainly not alone in the annals of historical horror.

Because I find that the more mature people get, the less "offended" they get by inanimate objects.

This is the problem with only reading parts of a thread.
    Perhaps you should read this post where I clarify my "offence" :)

With everything that goes on in our would at the moment, wondering if whether selling WWII memorabilia is appropriate or not has to be way, way down on one's list and with a bit of age, you'll realise this.

As it happens I am the wrong side of 40 and I have seen my fair share of war memorabilia in the Imperial War Museum in London, a war museum in Paris and at a friends house (he had to build an extension onto his house to store his extensive military uniform collection). These are places that I expect to see such things and I have to say I found it fascinating. However I did find it odd to find doodles from Adolf Hitler (if they are genuine) in a furniture shop.

Perhaps as I grow older I will become accustomed to finding delightful personal possessions belonging to the great Führer in other furniture shops :pac:

This is the problem with only reading parts of a thread.
    Perhaps you should read this post where I clarify my "offence" :)

I've read the entire thread, including your rollback above, which is why I put "offended" in inverted commas. I don't believe that you are, but you clearly take exception.
    As it happens I am the wrong side of 40 and I have seen my fair share of war memorabilia in the Imperial War Museum in London, a war museum in Paris and at a friends house (he had to build an extension onto his house to store his extensive military uniform collection). These are places that I expect to see such things and I have to say I found it fascinating. However I did find it odd to find doodles from Adolf Hitler (if they are genuine) in a furniture shop.

Perhaps as I grow older I will become accustomed to finding delightful personal possessions belonging to the great Führer in other furniture shops :pac:

Personally I would find it quite odd to find such items in a furniture shop myself, but frankly I would consider it a great find, assuming that the items were, indeed, genuine and I was still indulging in collecting WWII stuff.

I would suspect that the items in question are largely fake, if they're in a cabinet off to the side of a furniture shop. That would worry me more, to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Calculon: [voice-over] ...working in an automotive research lab. I was working on Project Satan ... [He puts a door onto the side of a red car.] ... a savage, intelligent military vehicle built from the most evil parts of the most evil cars in all the world. The steering wheel from Hitler's staff car, the left-turn signal from Charles Manson's VW, the windshield wipers from that car that played Knight Rider.

Fry: Knight Rider wasn't evil.

Calculon: His windshield wipers were. It didn't come up much in the show though. Anyway...

The wipers on this yoke don't look up to much...do they...but a cool half Million nonetheless.......the virtues of the Freemarket Economy...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/himmler-nazi-death-car-sale-500-000-article-1.2461016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu7UzZVkeJE

There's even a bit of synergy goin on too...Give it a lash Iggy....(Imagine that car-transport Train full of brand new Wanderers ?)

Great thread all the same :):)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I've read the entire thread, including your rollback above, which is why I put "offended" in inverted commas.

"Rollback" :D:D
    Believe that if you like, I don't mind.
    As you have read the entire thread you will know that I have not taken myself or this topic too seriously throughout (with references to Father Ted from early on).
    I don't believe that you are, but you clearly take exception.

I don't know what you mean by this.
    Personally I would find it quite odd to find such items in a furniture shop myself, but frankly I would consider it a great find, assuming that the items were, indeed, genuine and I was still indulging in collecting WWII stuff.

As it happens I bought Russian medal just because it looked interesting.
    I would suspect that the items in question are largely fake, if they're in a cabinet off to the side of a furniture shop. That would worry me more, to be perfectly honest.

Perhaps it is all fake, I don't know. However if I was a betting man I would bet that most or all of it is what it claimed to be. It certianly looked authentic to my very untrained eye. There were also a number of medals with "reproduction" written above them.

I sent Nodin the details by PM. Ask him, he seems to be a bit of an authority on this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Saw plenty of stuff at antique sales. It's ok to collect nazi memorabilia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Historical artefacts. No problem with it.

Its hardly going to be placed over the mantel piece surrounded by an altar and burning fires.

That would look great in the "good room" in fairness.

That would look great in the "good room" in fairness.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/5HdI0Y_NUQA/hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Most of this Nazi stuff is fake.

Advertisement