Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nazi memorabilia for sale in Dublin. Appropriate?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I see the SWP wave the same flags flown by Stalin and Mao when they murdered tens of millions and no one seems bothered.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    I see the SWP wave the same flags flown by Stalin and Mao when they murdered tens of millions and no one seems bothered.

They don't seem to have quite the support nowadays that the third reich "enjoy".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There is a Dublin restaurant called Mao (responsible for tens of millions of deaths), and people walk around wearing USSR tee shirts and Red Army paraphernalia.

If that is tolerated I don't see the problem with selling German WWII memorabilia. Both are equally as acceptable or abhorrent. There is no way you would be allowed call a restaurant 'Hitler'!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

You're right, the Nazi't didn't firebomb Dresden or be the only ones in history to use Nuclear weapons in anger.

Wartime Germany had a nuclear programme (as did Japan btw).
    Luckily, a lot of the nuclear scientists were Jewish, so managed to escape to the West where their skills were used!
    Nazi laws against Jews in academia forced them out of Germany and their satellite states.
    The remaining nuclear research in Germany mistakenly concentrated on heavy water, which is not suitable for weapon development.

Erm... I know. That's why I said the Nazi's didn't do them. It was hardly the Eskimos.

Oh right, just that your post seems to say they didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It's very worrying that the horrors of the concentration camps is being buried in school curriculums particularly in the UK.

Well we don't want to be seen as 'Islamophobic' or 'pro Zionist' :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've got four wristwatches worn by serving members of oul Adolf's armed forces. Have the compass and altimeter from a Stuka shot down in the Battle of Britain. I've a tail wheel from one too.

I would view a person that collects this a little differently than someone that wears a swastika, a KKK badge or pays over €1,000 for a piece of paper just because Adolf Hitler scribbled on it.

Would you pay that sort of money for that piece of paper (assuming you knew it to be authentic)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He said wearing his Che Guevara shirt.
    ......with Call of Duty on pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

If it was Soviet Union and Marxist memorabilia I doubt this thread would have been created. Infact you see such merchandise on hats etc a lot and nothing is said. They only murdered millions of people and persecuted people much longer than the Nazi regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Have the compass and altimeter from a Stuka shot down in the Battle of Britain. I've a tail wheel from one too.

Any idea what staffel/gruppe/geschwader it was from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It makes perfect sense why big companies like eBay, etc would not cover Nazi memorabilia, but in a smaller place like the OP was in there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Yeah they were one of the worst things, if not the worst thing, in the entire history of civilization and politics, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with selling their memorabilia etc, rather than trying to keep them 'out of sight, out of mind'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

In the 1970s there was a PLO Office in Dublin while that same organisation of 'dishcloth-headed bastards' were busy kidnapping & murdering Irish soldiers in Lebanon and hi-jacking aeroplanes to Cuba.
    Don't remember anyone in Ireland being outraged by its presence.
    But then, we Irish are a selective lot in our outrageousness!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I've got four wristwatches worn by serving members of oul Adolf's armed forces. Have the compass and altimeter from a Stuka shot down in the Battle of Britain. I've a tail wheel from one too. Better call the Society of the Delicate Offended Flowers of Eireann and hand myself in...

My granddad (RIP) used to have an old WW2 War compass that made for German Officers.

He got it from an imprisoned Pilot that crashed in Ireland and was interred in the Curragh Camp during the war

It was made by a company called “Tates” in Southern Bavaria.

My Granddad often used that compass a lot when he would go on country walks.

He always got lost.

That’s when he came up with the phrase.

He who has a “Tates“ is Lost

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

2011 wrote: »
    I went to a second hand shop in Dublin yesterday, it mainly sells furniture. I was just browsing and unexpectedly found some WW2 bits and bobs of that I found interesting.

While rummaging I found some authentic looking German iron crosses, swastika type medals and badges and such like. There were also some old post cards of Adolf Hitler. Also included was some original (or so the notice on it claimed) signed doodles and notes by the Führer himself with a price tag on it of over €1,250. There were also a number of medals, badges and such like from the allied forces.

I have no objection to seeing this type of thing in a museum but I would be quite shocked to see it in someones home. In fact I find it quite offensive and I was surprised to see it for sale in a shop such as this.

According to this link:

xxc ggbXxcI am reluctant to post the name of the shop, but it is well know for furniture and is not far from the city centre.

Is it just me or is selling Nazi memorabiligya such as this entirely inappropriate?

Sweet mother of fück, do you people go around the place constantly looking for things to be offended by?

Get. A. Life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

You are not doing sex right if someone is not dressed in an SS uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Oh I know that. They just offended our eyes, not our sensitivities.

What were we thinking. They were miserable and grim looking things.

I always thought they were kind of cool looking. You still see a few heads around wearing them today.:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Would you pay that sort of money for that piece of paper (assuming you knew it to be authentic)?
    Nah, autographs never interested me TBH. Unless it's on a valid cheque. :D Monet on a painting would be acceptable too.

I wouldn't mind one of Hitler's architectural paintings actually. Contrary to popular he wasn't that bad(couldn't do people though).
    Bambi wrote: »
    Any idea what staffel/gruppe/geschwader it was from?
    I have it written down somewhere alright, but god knows where. :s I'm 99% positive it was from the big RAF Tangmere raid. I've original photos taken from the rear gunner position of that raid too. Not exactly action shots, just flying along sorta thing. I have some more action shots of JU87's from Russia and the Mediterranean though.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense why big companies like eBay, etc would not cover Nazi memorabilia
    As I pointed out they do. And lots of it. So long as you don't show a pic of a swastika you can get all sorts of WW2 German military and civilian stuff. The stuff is everywhere.

Actually for the more nerdy out there, the first guy who played the "new" Doctor Who reboot back in the mid noughties was wearing a German navy jacket, original one too. He looked like a U-Boat sailor.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I went to a second hand shop in Dublin yesterday, it mainly sells furniture. I was just browsing and unexpectedly found some WW2 bits and bobs of that I found interesting.

While rummaging I found some authentic looking German iron crosses, swastika type medals and badges and such like. There were also some old post cards of Adolf Hitler. Also included was some original (or so the notice on it claimed) signed doodles and notes by the Führer himself with a price tag on it of over €1,250. There were also a number of medals, badges and such like from the allied forces.

I have no objection to seeing this type of thing in a museum but I would be quite shocked to see it in someones home. In fact I find it quite offensive and I was surprised to see it for sale in a shop such as this.

According to this link:

I am reluctant to post the name of the shop, but it is well know for furniture and is not far from the city centre.

Is it just me or is selling Nazi memorabilia such as this entirely inappropriate?

Is this a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I have an Austrian world war II Fox-hole digging shovel at home, I am not a Nazi sympathiser, I just collect military memorabilia. I also have an American GI helmet from world war II.If you are offended by inanimate objects, then I guess you're trying really hard to be offended.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My granddad (RIP) used to have an old WW2 War compass that made for German Officers.

He got it from an imprisoned Pilot that crashed in Ireland and was interred in the Curragh Camp during the war

It was made by a company called “Tates” in Southern Bavaria.

My Granddad often used that compass a lot when he would go on country walks.

He always got lost.

That’s when he came up with the phrase.

He who has a “Tates“ is Lost
    Oh god. :DOh and here's my real German pilots compass. Made in what was Czechoslovakia. I actually looked again to see the maker's name. :pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I know we owe the germans a fair chunk of cash but this is still ok

As I pointed out they do. And lots of it. So long as you don't show a pic of a swastika you can get all sorts of WW2 German military and civilian stuff. The stuff is everywhere.
    Cheers, I just read the OP, took their word on it and replied. Still, I could understand why a company that size would refuse to sell something like Nazi memorabilia if they decided to at any point. Wouldn't necessarily agree with it, but I would understand.

But I think we can (almost) all agree that attempting to ban the sale of Nazi memorabilia is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

For the time of the year it is,

Why don't we all just sing "Stille Nacht" and make peace for a while ;)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Came across a bunch of this stuff on a recent trip to Sarajevo. No idea if real or not. Also had a lot of items from their own conflict such as helmets and a Jihadi insignia.

Kind of interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

s8n wrote: »
    what shop was it ?

Reichmark and Spencer's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Lidl?

Did Nazi that coming

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Reichmark and Spencer's.
    Not sure if you're aware, but the best part of this is that Michael Marks was a Jew.

A Polish Jew!

:pac:

Nodin wrote: »
    Is this a joke?

Not entirely.
    In all honesty I was not "offended" (as I stated in my opening post). But if I said how I truly felt the thread would have died a death quite rapidly :)

I was more surprised than shocked. It is not the type of stuff that I associate with that type of shop TBH and I am not a particular fan of the third reich.

As an engineer I can appreciate the items that Wibbs owns. I have even shot an original WW2 luger and was particularly impressed by it. Although I tend to avoid people that collect Nazi memorabilia and have swastikas tattooed on them :D

Bonniedog wrote: »
    There is a Dublin restaurant called Mao (responsible for tens of millions of deaths), and people walk around wearing USSR tee shirts and Red Army paraphernalia.

If that is tolerated I don't see the problem with selling German WWII memorabilia. Both are equally as acceptable or abhorrent. There is no way you would be allowed call a restaurant 'Hitler'!

The fact that Mao is a restaurant that specializes in Asian foods made me laugh so hard. It's like opening one that specializes in German food and calling it Adolf's!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Not entirely.
    In all honesty I was not "offended" (as I stated in my opening post). But if I said how I truly felt the thread would have died a death quite rapidly :)

I was more surprised than shocked. It is not the type of stuff that I associate with that type of shop TBH and I am not a particular fan of the third reich.

As an engineer I can appreciate the items that Wibbs owns. I have even shot an original WW2 luger and was particularly impressed by it. Although I tend to avoid people that collect Nazi memorabilia and have swastikas tattooed on them :D

You do realise that the former and the latter are not nessecarily related?

Advertisement