Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nazi memorabilia for sale in Dublin. Appropriate?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

2011 wrote: »
    It is on display in a glass cabinet at the till along with lots of similar stuff.
    I was actually looking for furniture and got sidetracked.
    Are you suggesting that I am making this up?
    If so why? Is this simply not credible?

I was in Bulgaria a few years ago at a street market. There was loads of old nazi stuff there. From old helmets, to knives, medals etc. it is kinda eerie being so close to something that was so evil. Id agree with op. They shouldn't be on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Historical artefacts. No problem with it.

Its hardly going to be placed over the mantel piece surrounded by an altar and burning fires.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I was in Bulgaria a few years ago at a street market. There was loads of old nazi stuff there. From old helmets, to knives, medals etc. it is kinda eerie being so close to something that was so evil. Id agree with op. They shouldn't be on sale.

Three pages of posts and one person agrees with me :D
    I don't feel like such an old fart anymore :D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Its hardly going to be placed over the mantel piece surrounded by an altar and burning fires.

Well if you are the type of person that would pay €1,250 for something like that I wouldn't be so sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If the Germans won the war you'd feel the same about allied memorabilia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In the 80s I had one if them old green German parkas with the flag of West Germany and the name of some German guy on the label.

Got into trouble with the fashion police loads of times. In fairness, there was no defence.

But those parkas were in no way associated with Nazi Germany. The Swastika was the official flag of Germany under their rule

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Rubbish. The items are not evil. Things can't be evil. Even most of the people who wore them weren't evil. It's just history now, people collect it for all sorts of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

They shouldn't be on sale.

Will we be sensoring anything else, a book burning perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"I don't like it, so it should be banned!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Yes.

I saw them as there well. We have an interest in WWII memorabilia, but really not sure how genuine the items are. If they are real, then to a collector of memorabilia they can be of great interest, but it doesn't mean that the person is a nazi sympathiser.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Rubbish. The items are not evil. Things can't be evil. Even most of the people who wore them weren't evil. It's just history now, people collect it for all sorts of reasons.

Of course items aren't evil. The people who owned them probably were. Only complete weirdos or creeps would collect such items

Of course items aren't evil. The people who owned them probably were. Only complete weirdos or creeps would collect such items

No more likely than the people reading this thread. Nazi items were ubiquitous.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I saw them as there well.

No doubt Oops69 will think that you are "full of ****e" too :)
    it doesn't mean that the person is a nazi sympathiser.

I accept that, but I would view Hitler doodles in the same way as KKK memorabilia.

But those parkas were in no way associated with Nazi Germany. The Swastika was the official flag of Germany under their rule

Oh I know that. They just offended our eyes, not our sensitivities.

What were we thinking. They were miserable and grim looking things.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If the Germans won the war you'd feel the same about allied memorabilia.

BOOM there it is.

I know winners write the history but cmere to me now is there anything at all youd like to offer as a teeny tiny difference between axis and allied sides of the war, anything at all now, just to get the ball rolling?

Aside from the classic challenging opinion above, of course it's fine to display and sell this type of stuff. Free country isnt it? Ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Glass cabinet just inside the door on the left hand side?

No, it's on the far right! 😉

(I'll get my coat...)

BOOM there it is.

I know winners write the history but cmere to me now is there anything at all youd like to offer as a teeny tiny difference between axis and allied sides of the war, anything at all now, just to get the ball rolling?

Aside from the classic challenging opinion above, of course it's fine to display and sell this type of stuff. Free country isnt it? Ironically.

You're right, the Nazi't didn't firebomb Dresden or be the only ones in history to use Nuclear weapons in anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

Was in Clara Market (Offaly) last year and there was a stand selling German WW1, WW2 gear plus Military and Civilian medals, etc, all for a pittance.
    There was a busy trade.

... The people wearing them probably weren't evil either. You can't really expect every soldier that the Germans had were these disgusting monsters, right?

Why wouldn't it be appropriate? You can't bury history and a lot of the items mentioned are of unbelievably high quality and extremely interesting designs, especially the Iron Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The people who owned most nazi uniforms and the like were most likely brainwashed conscripts.

The UK and US are full of Nazi memorabilia taken from fallen soldiers. They're more often collected as objects of interest, memoirs of a terrible time in history, or just 'things that look cool' than by neo-nazi sympathisers. You've heard the phrase about what happens to those who forget history, yeah?

... The people wearing them probably weren't evil either.

The people that wear these nowadays probably aren't the most pleasant....

You're right, the Nazi't didn't firebomb Dresden or be the only ones in history to use Nuclear weapons in anger.

You appear hugely confused- the allies did both of those things, I believe.

kylith wrote: »
    The people who owned most nazi uniforms and the like were most likely brainwashed conscripts.

The UK and US are full of Nazi memorabilia taken from fallen soldiers. They're more often collected as objects of interest, memoirs of a terrible time in history, or just 'things that look cool' than by neo-nazi sympathisers. You've heard the phrase about what happens to those who forget history, yeah?

Not even brainwashed, but possibly joined with a patriotic flourish. Same thing that happened in America after Pearl Harbour. And America absolutely did some disgusting things during that war too. Yet American military regalia aren't seen as being evil.

Absolutely. But wanting to own it because of the historical significance or interest in the design wouldn't necessarily make you a creep or a weirdo or a skinhead/neo-Nazi.

You appear hugely confused- the allies did both of those things, I believe.

Erm... I know. That's why I said the Nazi's didn't do them. It was hardly the Eskimos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Did warehouse 13 not teach us anything? :confused:

mad muffin wrote: »
    Did warehouse 13 not teach us anything? :confused:

And Dead Snow. Don't steal Nazi gold. You'll get Nazi zombies after you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Really? I had never seen items like this for sale before, it is not as if I went looking for them.
    That stuff is common enough. Big sellers the WW2 stuff, from all sides, though the German stuff is often better quality and more interesting looking. A lot of it is fake mind you.

I've got four wristwatches worn by serving members of oul Adolf's armed forces. Have the compass and altimeter from a Stuka shot down in the Battle of Britain. I've a tail wheel from one too. Better call the Society of the Delicate Offended Flowers of Eireann and hand myself in...

Oh and ebay does sell that stuff. I got two of the above watches from the site. Their nazi militaria section is enormous. What they don't allow is anything with the swastika on it. At least in photographs of the item being sold. Amazon will sell any amount of books on the period. Their "morality" is wafer thin.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'd always associate that kinda stuff with evil at its purest form. Jesus how messed up are people that buy that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The allies made a pyramid out of dead German soldiers helmets in new York after the war. Good taste and war don't go together.
    I'd have no problem with this kind of stuff as long as people who own it understand they have a duty to tell people the horrific story behind these pieces. I'd much rather walk into someone's house and notice a SS badge and have them tell me the story behind it as opposed to meet someone who's clueless about it all.
    It's very worrying that the horrors of the concentration camps is being buried in school curriculums particularly in the UK.
    If you fail to learn from the past you're bound to repeat the mistakes.

Advertisement